Photo

End of an Era in Late Nite

25 replies to this topic
Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:11 PM Edited by Slamman, 10 April 2014 - 08:13 PM.

Let's all say goodbye to the loveable, gap tooth Prince of Late Night who's opted to retire from Television, the one, the only

DAAAAaaaaavid...... Leeettttteerrrrrmmaaaan!

You get the idea (as he'd been introduced for years, it's become nearly a catch phrase, echoing that of precursor Johnny Carson

http://www.independe...er-9239591.html

Dave's leaving after many years at both NBC and CBS in the States, and I find news of who's set to replace him here....

http://www.theguardi...n-cbs-late-show

Funny I don't see this mentioned already. I nearly forgot to mention it myself

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

I play both sides of the fence

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:12 PM

They should have got John Stewart. He would have been a better pick.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

Lord Protector

• Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:43 PM

They should have got John Stewart. He would have been a better pick.

He's a great editorialist and fantastic commentator, but not a great host I don't think. His fake news show making fun of other news outlets is where he belongs, really.

I'm glad it's Colbert, he'll do great. He knows the format, and I'm excited to see him not in his satirical character.

• Voodoo likes this

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Unknown
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:02 PM

When I first saw Colbert on a list of candidates, it seemed pretty obvious to me that he was the best choice to replace Dave. I too am looking forward to seeing him host the show. He's a natural for that format.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:17 PM

With those glasses he kinda looks like a much younger Dave.

As far as Late Night talk shows go though, I prefer Craig Ferguson and his gay robot sidekick.

• Mr Oraange likes this

Zepren
  • Zepren

Worldbreaker

• Angels of Death MC
  • Scotland

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:31 PM

This is fantastic for Stephen. I'm sure he doesn't want to spend his entire career playing a character.I remember seeing an interview where he was saying that he'd not let his kids watch it due to his what he says sometimes with a completely straight face etc etc. While I'll miss him on the report, I'm happy for him :).

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

I play both sides of the fence

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:05 PM

Don't get me wrong, I like Stephen. He is funny as he*l. But I think they offered the job to John first or maybe even Ellen. He has just been around longer. Most people know who John is, alot have no idea even who Steven is. John Stewart could run for president and win. But I think Stephen is an okay pick.

Zepren
  • Zepren

Worldbreaker

• Angels of Death MC
  • Scotland

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:24 PM

True but JON Stewart has built a show around himself almost on par with Letterman and seems to be pretty happy with where he is. Also, Jon Stewart gets to be himself night in, night out. Colbert does not. Late Night gives him that out that he sorely deserves.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:13 PM

I never thought Letterman was particularly funny.  A good host, yes, but rarely have I laughed at his jokes.

Colbert is an upgrade.  I'll miss the Colbert report, and the character he plays on it.

• Toke likes this

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:41 PM Edited by Slamman, 11 April 2014 - 11:49 PM.

For me, the NBC years were his best, because to me, it proves dumping tons of money into the production of Letterman didn't really make the show better, bigger in some regard, but not better. I agree with some of the Twitter celeb comments, that David Letterman was a late night showman that cannot be replaced, and he was friendly with Bob Hope, a person he also looked up to. Both Jay Leno and Dave had utmost respect for the show tradition of Jack Parr and Johnny Carson.

I think it's "JON" Stewert, correct?

Not John.

I believe his comedy take on news has much in kin with the news segment started on Saturday Night Live in the 70s, 80s, 90s, and now. Heck, you've seen SNL alum Seth Meyers step into this role, and to me it still feels mighty rough.

Stewert's format would work better where it'e more free-jazz style format, and a little off the cuff

Eris
  • Eris

Grill

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:16 AM

In hindsight, John Oliver should have stuck along for a little while longer. 

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:55 AM

Colbert should handle it well and be as successful there as he ever was @ Comedy Central.

if anything, John Oliver should replace Stewart when he's finished.

at that point Comedy Central should change the Daily Show to an hour-long format and let Oliver turn it into a legacy institution. the Colbert Report has been legendary - don't get me wrong - but a lot of the time the bits/jokes overlap between Daily Show and Report. in the end there's no need for 2 different shows (with essentially the same content for the same audience) during the same 60 minutes of cable.

let Oliver or somebody have the Daily Show and when there's no more Colbert Report stretch it out into an hour.

the interviews alone are worth it. they're always taking the best part of Stewart's interviews with some of his best guests and 'throwing them up' online because there's never enough time to dig into the heart of any topic.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:27 AM

I think Oliver's in a prime spot nowt o have his own show in Colbert's slot.

And honestly, I don't know what to expect of Colbert. I only know him as the character and other roles he's played.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:33 AM

David who?

I'm not a huge fan of Colbert, sure he has some humor here and there but I don't think I could get used to him. However, I do love his pistachio commercials but as a late night talk host, don't think I can as I could hardly stand him during his Colbert Report, he just doesn't appeal to me.

I wouldn't mind some fresh meat, perhaps someone we don't know to step in.. hell, Larry David or Louis C.K. would be fine by me. Though to each their own.. much like Jimmy Fallon being the new late night dude.. eh, he had acouple decent sketches during SNL but not my go to for late night. We'll see how Colbert does.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:40 AM

Well Gunny, they can't all be Andrew Dice Clay.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:47 AM Edited by GunWrath, 12 April 2014 - 07:48 AM.

Well Otter, they can't all be Ryan Seacrest.

Who the hell cares about Andrew Dice Clay? That dude wore his last leather in what? 19whogivesash*t.

wait, wait... #inb4warning :)

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:54 AM

Ha, no, sorry, I was just trying to suss out what you find to be funny. More of an Andy Dick man, maybe? Mayhaps a Bill Burr or a slanted view of Louis CK? :p

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:03 AM

Last time I've found Andy Dick somewhat amusing was in In The Army Now and that was YEARS ago, but since we're sussing out, perhaps you're a Lance Bass type of guy?

bass_l.jpg

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:13 AM

He's only funny ironically. Timberlake is actually funny, though.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:33 AM

David who?

I'm not a huge fan of Colbert, sure he has some humor here and there but I don't think I could get used to him. However, I do love his pistachio commercials but as a late night talk host, don't think I can as I could hardly stand him during his Colbert Report, he just doesn't appeal to me.

I wouldn't mind some fresh meat, perhaps someone we don't know to step in.. hell, Larry David or Louis C.K. would be fine by me. Though to each their own.. much like Jimmy Fallon being the new late night dude.. eh, he had acouple decent sketches during SNL but not my go to for late night. We'll see how Colbert does.

you have to understand how a network like CBS or NBC works.

they would never ever ever pick someone like Louis CK or Larry David to host a late night program.

there's a formula to this thing that doesn't really change over time with the exception perhaps of Arsenio Hall.

late night hosts have to express a particular kind of attitude and demeanor. Colbert has the right stuff; now whether or not he can deliver is still up for debate because his success (thus far) is predicated largely on his character; not his genuine personality.

but he's definitely got the right toolset.

I personally agree that Larry or Louis could make excellent hosts. but they don't have the natural toolset that networks want you to have up front.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:32 AM

Oh, durr, just saw an ad for Oliver's new show... On HBO.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:52 AM

they don't have the natural toolset that networks want you to have up front.

If Conan and Ferguson can do it so could Louis CK. But I think that Colbert is a better choice. Or at the very least a more natural choice.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:56 AM

If Conan and Ferguson can do it so could Louis CK.

I agree

but the 2nd part of your statement describes exactly how the network executives think about these decisions:

Colbert is a better choice. Or at the very least a more natural choice.

that's how CBS and NBC look at it.

Zepren
  • Zepren

Worldbreaker

• Angels of Death MC
  • Scotland

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:52 AM

Colbert's success is evident in how many people can't separate Stephen Colbert and "Stephen Colbert". He's done amazing things for the world of satire and politically charged humour (something lacking here in the UK these days). Apparently, Colbert will be appearing on the Late Show next Tuesday. Not his first appearance but it'll be interesting to see what David Letterman asks and hopefully they'll take that character issue head on.

If you want to see more of the real Colbert, I'd recommend the videos in this article.

Lately, I've been watching Strangers with Candy. Colbert was one of the writers and his character steals the show every scene he's in. They made a film as well, David Letterman's was a producer for it. #ItsAllConnected

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:01 PM Edited by Slamman, 20 April 2014 - 04:03 PM.

It was suggested about female funny woman Chelsea Handler of Chelsea Lately, my dad really likes her, so he'd probably keep watching after the 10 o'clock news on our CBS station, which they prefer for years now. 

As I seem to recall, my folks were Carson fans, but rarely watch NBC programming as a habit that I know of. They're true-blue CBS, but they also don't stay up late at night normally.

Strangers with Candy would be the most excellent name for a talk show with the late John Candy, wouldn't it??

Also, the above observation plays into the demographic of who watches what.

Zepren
  • Zepren

Worldbreaker

• Angels of Death MC
  • Scotland

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:17 PM

Would any of you be interested in a resurrected Colbert Report topic? or a Colbert Report & Daily Show topic?

With this being The Report's last season, it'd be good to have somewhere to discuss it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users