Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:09 PM

Well time for more gun control!

Spoiler

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:25 PM Edited by gtamann123, 13 April 2014 - 07:42 PM.

All of this talk of mental health and very little talk of violent culture. The proto-school shooters were Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, and they weren't mentally unstable outcasts. They'd received treatment, including anger management. They were also consuming and producing a plethora of violent art, which raised no eye brows.

Just because someone receives "treatment" doesn't mean they are cured of their mental illness. And from what I have heard they both were on some anti-depressants and other drugs. In America when someone is mentally ill the doctors just prescribe a ton of pills and try to brush it under the rug. There are hardly any insane Asylums or other institutions left anymore in order to segregate the Mentally ill so the best course of action is to just give them as many meds as possible in order to dumb them down and keep them from acting out. But if they go off their regiment even for a couple days then you better watch out.

It is pretty sad that we have to wait for them to commit some kind of crime in order to lock them up and separate them from society 

It kind of makes me wonder what other countries are doing diffefently in regards to treatment of mental health.
  • a20characterusername likes this

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:02 PM

All societies are violent, some just conceal it better than others.
You’re all to young to remember the real Red Scare, and it’s side activity “Mental Health”.
There turned out to be no such thing as “Mental Health” in the true meaning of Health. The existence of Deviant activities (among them Homosexuality) was the prime diagnosis.
Deviant activities cannot be ‘cured’ by treatment or drugs. Deviant activities may only be ‘corrected’ to meet societies demands through torture or just plain locking the Deviant away.
By the way there is no profit for the Psychologist/Psychiatrist to cure the golden goose. Which may be why they are adding so many ‘new’ definitions to their manual. They just make a list of 50 items and offer to pick three to form a diagnosis. Then “Send In the Drugs!” to treat it.
How to end violence? How to stop forest fires?
The same answer: Don’t suppress the little ones that clear away the anger/underbrush. Stop all the overly aggressive actions to stop all and any seemingly overt action like forming a Pop Tart into the shape of a gun.
What kind of Deviant Act really makes a child a candidate for ‘Mental Health’ brain burning (chemical lobotomy)?
At what age does the child become a Deviant? When is a child expected to be held responsible for its acts?

a20characterusername
  • a20characterusername

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:04 PM Edited by gtarelatedusername2, 13 April 2014 - 07:07 PM.

I'm sure a "knife free zone" sign could've changed everything!

Really though, sh*t like this just happens, no matter what measures are put in place. It's a terrible incident, but I don't think it needs to be politicized too much. We already have enough of that.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:15 PM

Generally most states and some cities have laws covering the carry and use of knives.
Except for Pennsylvania these laws are available on line. (I wonder why PA doesn't?)

http://knife-expert.com/pa.txt

a20characterusername
  • a20characterusername

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:21 PM

Oh I know, I was just being facetious.

It's weird how I can freely carry an assault rifle in my state (which I have no problem with), but don't you dare carry a knife with a 5 inch blade!

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:30 PM Edited by lil weasel, 13 April 2014 - 07:33 PM.

One of the problems with knives and law enforcement:
A knife is silent.
A knife is concealable.
A knife isn't registered.
A knife is rarely traceable.
A knife is not restricted.
A knife is available in any kitchen.
A knife can be made by anyone (even in jail).
A knife made of plastic won't set off an alarm.
A knife may be missed during a pat down.
And best of all, nobody cares who buys one.
  • gtamann123 and Mar.K like this

a20characterusername
  • a20characterusername

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:07 PM Edited by gtarelatedusername2, 13 April 2014 - 09:07 PM.

^All except the silent part of those can be applied to firearms as well, at least where I live. IIRC the only firearms that require registration in my state are certain full-auto assault rifles, but that's due to federal law rather than state law.

Melchior
  • Melchior

The blood of our martyrs will water the meadows of France

• The Connection
  • Unknown

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:04 AM Edited by Melchior, 14 April 2014 - 01:14 AM.

Just because someone receives "treatment" doesn't mean they are cured of their mental illness. And from what I have heard they both were on some anti-depressants and other drugs. In America when someone is mentally ill the doctors just prescribe a ton of pills and try to brush it under the rug. There are hardly any insane Asylums or other institutions left anymore in order to segregate the Mentally ill so the best course of action is to just give them as many meds as possible in order to dumb them down and keep them from acting out. But if they go off their regiment even for a couple days then you better watch out.

It is pretty sad that we have to wait for them to commit some kind of crime in order to lock them up and separate them from society 

It kind of makes me wonder what other countries are doing diffefently in regards to treatment of mental health.

The Columbine shooters were released from treatment because everything seemed to be in order. They weren't mentally ill, clinically speaking. They were violence obsessed, something that is oddly acceptable these days. 

The reason we don't segregate people with mental disorders should be axiomatic. The overwhelming majority (something like 99.9999%) of persons with a mental disorder are not at risk of becoming violent, and mental illness is not a red flag that someone could become violent. Perhaps you could specify what kind of mental illness you are talking about?

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:54 AM Edited by gtamann123, 14 April 2014 - 04:55 AM.

The Columbine shooters were released from treatment because everything seemed to be in order. They weren't mentally ill, clinically speaking. They were violence obsessed, something that is oddly acceptable these days. 

The reason we don't segregate people with mental disorders should be axiomatic. The overwhelming majority (something like 99.9999%) of persons with a mental disorder are not at risk of becoming violent, and mental illness is not a red flag that someone could become violent. Perhaps you could specify what kind of mental illness you are talking about?
If you ask me being violence obsessed to the point wher you want to act out your fantasies in real life is a sign of mental illness. Some kind of personality disorder. Combined with ASPD and no conscience. Someome that kills just for the fun of it is obviously mentally ill. I think the doctor thag cleared them made the wrong call. But it can be hard to diagnose mental illness and determine someone mental stability.

And im speaking about disorders which commonly lead to violence. ASPD, Schizophrenia, most Bipolar cases. The majority of people that are mentally ill are a dangerous to no one but themselves. But the ones that do usually exhibit some signs. Lole my uncle who is schizophrenic. He has asssulted his mom on many occasions. Been arrested over 30 times for various things. Wanders the streets talking gibberish to himself and telling everyone about how he killed over 500 NVA soldiers in Vietnam. Piloted a fighter jet on hundered of Black Ops missions. And recieved four congressional medals of honor (he wasn't even in Vietnam). Can someone tell me why he is allowed to wander the streets? Especially woth a history of violence and that many arrests?

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Skål, jævler!

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:22 AM

mental illness is not a red flag that someone could become violent.

As you allude to in the next sentence, this is very much dependent on what kind of mental illness the individual is suffering. Antisocial Personality Disorder, for instance, is linked directly with increased propensity toward violent action.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users