Quantcast

» «
Photo

spawn killing and rage quitting: myth or reality?

70 replies to this topic
March 10th
  • March 10th

Kush King

• Members
  • England

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:54 AM

I made a spawn killer give up on killing me today,  he was really pissed that I blow him and the HPV , so for about the next 10 minutes , I got a few kills at in at first, but then it went down hill, so I just let him, I even went in to passive , so that lead to him running me over, after while, I guess he got bored and took off, while its not the same as rage quitting, I thought it was great .

Now for something more OT, the other day I I had two kills on player, and I really was not even spawn killing him and he left, so it is true, people do rage quit or switch sessions

I made a spawn killer give up on killing me today,  he was really pissed that I blow him and the HPV , so for about the next 10 minutes , I got a few kills at in at first, but then it went down hill, so I just let him, I even went in to passive , so that lead to him running me over, after while, I guess he got bored and took off, while its not the same as rage quitting, I thought it was great .

Now for something more OT, the other day I I had two kills on player, and I really was not even spawn killing him and he left, so it is true, people do rage quit or switch sessions

he might of dissconnected, or he might of had to go to work.

bensons
  • bensons

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:55 AM

game working as intended

manicmechanic71
  • manicmechanic71

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:03 AM

I bored-leave if I'm being spawn killed and go on a job to earn my hospital money back!

colagamerXD
  • colagamerXD

Cereal Gangsters [CRGS]

• Members
  • Switzerland

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:14 AM

I got spawnkilled 20 times, then I killed him 3 times in a row and he rage quited. (I'm lvl 24 and he had a Minigun (lvl 100))
So yeah, the can't handel the Frustration

did he quit because he was enraged? or because he's a dick that likes to increase his k/d stats by picking on low level players and wanted to protect his 20:3 ratio?

He quit because I killed him 3 times in a row with a Pistol. Or his head exploded from his own scream

• austintrain likes this

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Cunning Stunt

• Members
  • None
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:27 AM

Rage quiting is a thing. I've rage quit myself. Smashed the controller and punched a hole in the wall.

And if you have never been spawn killed id like to join the lobbies you're in...and kill you

and thats the true definiation of a rage quit,

ive had friends smash controllers into walls (and sometimes the wall) and one guy who pulled his console off the shelf and YLOD'd it...

if that doesnt define rage quitting i dont know what does...

personally ive got spawnkilled before, usually only happens about 2 or 3 times in a row (literally respawn, get run over, die, respawn, see car coming, run over die..) until you get spawned far enough away to get into cover...

theres alot of peeps who claim to spawn kill people repeatedly, but theyre clearly jsut bullying low level players as anyone with an ounce of skill or more than 12 hours game time shouldnt be killed more than 3 times wihtout being able to get away...

the problem OP is a semantic one, you can rename ragequitting to "switching session" or Spawn killing to "repeated killing" but at the end of the day its just nomenclature and baiting other people in your thread for the terms they use to describe things is like saying that a dick "isnt a thing", cos you call it a cock... either way it will still hurt if forceably inserted into your ass no matter what you call it... likewise someone changing session because they get frustrated is "rage quitting" and repeatedly killing someone as they respawn is "spawn killing"...

would a 'rage-quit' by any other name smell so sweet?? yup...

• austintrain and Sagrawa like this

AnotherUserName
  • AnotherUserName

Dick

• Members

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:26 AM

You'd have to be pretty new to multiplayer games or gaming in general to think that spawn-trapping and rage quitting don't exist. Neither concept is new nor are they exclusive to GTA Online.

Being spawn-trapped generally means being repetitively killed quickly or otherwise being unable to get very far after spawning. It doesn't matter if I can get to cover, or even if I can shoot back; if I can't get very far out of my spawn area without getting killed, or at all, I'm being spawn-trapped. Could I shoot my way out? Of course.. depending on mine and their skill. Maybe there's enough of them that I don't stand a chance or perhaps they're just plain better than I am. Sometimes it's not even a matter of skill or done purposely to grief; sometimes the enemy is just too numerous or powerful, or I simply don't have the necessary means to fight back. I've personally never been spawn trapped in this game, but I have seen it happen to others.

Rage quitting is... iffy, but it is also most certainly a real thing. Like spawn-trapping, I've been on both ends of it (again, not in this game). Basically, it's nothing more than getting so pissed off for whatever reason that you literally leave or quit the game in a rage. It's not just in multiplayer games either. In the past I've thrown controllers after getting extremely frustrated at some single player games where the AI was being "cheap". It's more common in multiplayer games, though (I remember rage-quitters galore in Left4Dead, and I've inadvertently made party members do it in some MMO's, for example).

Problem with rage-quitting, is that it really cant be confirmed as an actual rage-quit if the player doesn't have a mic or communicate otherwise. If you can't hear them curse you out or otherwise hear their delicious anger as they leave the game, you can't be positive that it was a rage-quit (anger filled or profanity laced XBL/PSN messages immediately after a disconnect do count as a rage-quit, btw). Perhaps they may have been a little annoyed when they left, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they left in a fit of anger. Perhaps they just wanted to find a calmer or more team oriented session, or got an invite, or even timed out suddenly. I know I often tend to leave immediately for an invite session as soon as my friends sign on, no matter what I'm doing.

Nevertheless, people generally almost always tend to chalk up someone leaving suddenly as making them rage-quit. The best is when they message you and claim that you rage-quit when you didn't, and your calmness and/or lack of caring about it makes them rage. :lol:

• austintrain likes this

Zwenkwiel
  • Zwenkwiel

Proud owner of several tin foil hats

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:34 PM

spawnkilling happens for sure.

ragequitting I dno, if I don't like a server or just want to get out of a situation I just press start and select new game

quitting definitely, not a whole lot of rage though

austintrain
  • austintrain

Trick

• Members

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:17 PM

OP clearly plays Invite Only if he's never experience spawn killing.

ha, ha. yeah, OP is a fag.. ..oh wait..

CarimboHanky
  • CarimboHanky

$CASH OVERFLOW$

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:17 PM

OP, if youre on ps3, give me your name so you i can join you and show you that spawnkilling is very real!

austintrain
  • austintrain

Trick

• Members

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:19 PM

Rage quiting is a thing. I've rage quit myself. Smashed the controller and punched a hole in the wall.

really? why? because someone spawn killed you in gta?

Malibu454
  • Malibu454

Bite Me..

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

people are able to spawn kill if they want to

please explain how.

Tanks.

Think about it, even in passive mode, if you can get to a roof, you're still trapped.

Hence the term "Being Spawn Trapped"
I've found If you stand behind the tree on the sidewalk on the street just north of the midtown LSC you can't get run over or whacked by the turret. In passive mode of course.

Shootinalloveryourface
  • Shootinalloveryourface

No 1 Panto Crew in the World PIGS

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:38 PM

Rage quitting is the phrase used to describe the action of a playing leaving a session for the primary reason of being frustrated.

It could have been called anger quitting, bored quitting, frustrated quitting and others, but rage quitting caught on most likely due to it's catchiness and simplicity as a phrase when compared to the aforementioned others.

There you go OP. Accept it.
  • austintrain likes this

GraniteDevil
  • GraniteDevil

The Logic Maker

• Members

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:43 PM

I was spawn killed a couple of sessions.  Back before R* dropped a patch that changed up where we spawn after being killed.  It was irritating.  Very irritating.  Not giving somebody a chance to breathe is a pussy move.  Anyway, those guys probably got me... um... maybe five or six times?  It's been a long time.  I think that was about right. 

As for rage quitting?  It happens.  You only know for sure that it's a "rage" quit though if they have a mic.  Just listen for the out of control swearing and insults followed by a sudden "Player x has left the session."

Tali vas Normandy
  • Tali vas Normandy

Cheers Love! The Cavalry is here!!!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:44 PM

Good thing i'm too legit to rage quit  :santa:

• austintrain likes this

Zwenkwiel
  • Zwenkwiel

Proud owner of several tin foil hats

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:47 PM

really? why? because someone spawn killed you in gta?

I've done this, but mainly when sh*t isn't working

I don't mind assholes in videogames or even cheaters, I just laugh it off and continue playing

but when my sh*t doesn't work I go berserk.

there's no real reason for it, you just do.

ninjaontour
  • ninjaontour

Squeak Slayer

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:15 PM Edited by ninjaontour, 03 April 2014 - 02:22 PM.

these forums are full of stories about players spawn-killing others "until they rage quit".

so, i just wanted to make this thread in order to express my opinion that neither of these things have ever happened. to anyone. ever. they are both myths. please feel free to disagree.

has anyone here ever been spawn-killed? i certainly haven't and i never claim to be particularly good at the game.

i have both killed and been killed on those relatively rare occasions when two players spawn next to one another, but never has a situation arisen where i've been unable to take cover, defend myself, or otherwise take some kind of evasive action.

i don't see how repetitive spawn-killing could occur, unless the player being killed is afk.

also, nobody has ever 'rage quit'. why? because it simply isn't a thing...

OP - "I haven't experienced it personally, so everyone else is a liar,"

f*ck off, OP, you're a nob. It happens all the time because of how close people spawn to one another in GTAO. If I run you over in my car, and step out with a heavy sniper, all I have to do is watch my map for the next blinking white dot. I now know where you are, and can scope you as you spawn in. Bang - Spawn kill.

Not to mention if there's a tank rolling around blowing the sh*t out of people. I have about 10 messages in my inbox at the moment from people getting +10 rage from getting constantly tanked.

Sorry OP, but you're beyond wrong.

EDIT: Here's your proof, you lazy f*ck: 

rob602pa
  • rob602pa

Maybe I'm just sleepwalking...

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:27 PM

Spawn killing happens. You may not make it to the player every time they are spawning but many times get close enough to have the upper hand and being the aggressor can be intimidating. Especially on the beach or open areas.

Last night I was buying snacks and saw a dot coming. I did not act aggressive and it did not appear agressive. After passing it came back, got out and I was killed. He wanted a fight so I returned the favor. I am a passive player but when I am annoyed I wait for spawn and run in circles and press down on map then head straight for the dot I see appearing. Sometimes its close and you can get before complete spawn, others you kill on run or they may see u and hide. If it's a good player, it turns into a rolling match of who dies first. I killed the guy 5 times straight and he left. Don't know or care if he was angry, but I was because I was hungry and trying to refill my snacks!
  • austintrain likes this

Soran Is On
  • Soran Is On

I bust until I'm empty, best chance to take you with me.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:35 PM

i think your definition of spawn killing is being killed within 5 seconds of spawning.

for others it could be up lasting up to  a minute or two but just not being allowed to go anywhere do anything or even get any car or mount a defense be it against tank, higher level player, or higher skilled player.

the first version of spawn killing, your version, doesn't nay can't happen that often. the latter... happens all day every day.

• austintrain likes this

austintrain
  • austintrain

Trick

• Members

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:00 PM

OP, if youre on ps3, give me your name so you i can join you and show you that spawnkilling is very real!

ha, ha. yeah, that's funny.

(i would, but i'm too scared).

CatchMeTrolling
  • CatchMeTrolling

Troll

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:07 PM

No myth i make people rage quit all the time & done my share of spawn killing mostly for people who get tanks thinking they're good

ugotsmoked
  • ugotsmoked

TROLLING DOES NOT EXIST IF YOU ARE STRONG.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:17 PM Edited by ugotsmoked, 03 April 2014 - 04:17 PM.

You only get spawn killed if you are an idiot...I have never had anyone rage quit on me so I dont believe it.

austintrain
  • austintrain

Trick

• Members

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:19 PM

these forums are full of stories about players spawn-killing others "until they rage quit".

so, i just wanted to make this thread in order to express my opinion that neither of these things have ever happened. to anyone. ever. they are both myths. please feel free to disagree.

has anyone here ever been spawn-killed? i certainly haven't and i never claim to be particularly good at the game.

i have both killed and been killed on those relatively rare occasions when two players spawn next to one another, but never has a situation arisen where i've been unable to take cover, defend myself, or otherwise take some kind of evasive action.

i don't see how repetitive spawn-killing could occur, unless the player being killed is afk.

f*ck off, OP, you're a nob. It happens all the time because of how close people spawn to one another in GTAO. If I run you over in my car, and step out with a heavy sniper, all I have to do is watch my map for the next blinking white dot. I now know where you are, and can scope you as you spawn in. Bang - Spawn kill.

Not to mention if there's a tank rolling around blowing the sh*t out of people. I have about 10 messages in my inbox at the moment from people getting +10 rage from getting constantly tanked.

EDIT: Here's your proof, you lazy f*ck: https://www.youtube....h?v=dQXRS9ZEWoM

OP clearly expressing opinion and inviting others to disagree...

unnecessary rudeness on your part.

and what are you so angry about?

your post isn't entirely clear to me, but you seem to be a self-confessed 'spawn killer' and 'twanker', which really doesn't sound like something to boast about.

you should calm yourself down, young man.

ps. didn't bother to watch the video...

ugotsmoked
  • ugotsmoked

TROLLING DOES NOT EXIST IF YOU ARE STRONG.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:25 PM

I watched the video of a no skilled hack...not impressed.

ninjaontour
  • ninjaontour

Squeak Slayer

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:29 PM Edited by ninjaontour, 03 April 2014 - 04:39 PM.

EDIT: Here's your proof, you lazy f*ck: https://www.youtube....h?v=dQXRS9ZEWoM

OP clearly expressing opinion and inviting others to disagree...

unnecessary rudeness on your part.

and what are you so angry about?

your post isn't entirely clear to me, but you seem to be a self-confessed 'spawn killer' and 'twanker', which really doesn't sound like something to boast about.

you should calm yourself down, young man.

ps. didn't bother to watch the video...

I'm not angry, if that's your impression because of my use of emphatic expletives, that's your prerogative. The OP makes a sweeping generalisation with absolutely no substance, and qualifies it with the "It's never happened to me, ergo it never happens ever", which I feel to be a hugely arrogant method of thinking.

Have I spawn killed someone? Yes, if I have to defend myself, or if someone agitates me, I'll spawn snipe them a few times and drive off. Have I used the tank, which I purchased 2 days ago as there's not really anything to buy, to spawn trap people? Yes.

Are either of these play methods specifically prohibited in the EULA? Is there a Rockstar Handbook for Approved Free-Roam Playstyles? No.

See where I'm going with this? Stereotypes are bad, and I don't like them.

Also, the video is directed at the OP, not you.

EDIT: Just realised you are the OP lol.

LuapYllier
  • LuapYllier

Driver

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:29 PM

I have seen and done all three.

A group of tanks killed me in the city at least 15 or 20 times while I attempted to get away, bitched at them over the mic at how cowardly they were and generally was extremely angry with all the insults and putdowns flying my way because I was aparently expected to be able to kill three tanks while on foot. I quit the session...went to SP and went for a smoke to simmer down. So esentially a spawn camp and rage quit in one.

I have also sniper spawn camped more than one individual until they left. One guy really wanted a ruiner something fierce and kept going back to the same car below me on the street. I literally focused the scope on the seat and just pulled trigger every time he sat down. After about 10 kills I decided to check his level and he was like a 10. I felt bad and parachuted down to the car and drove it over to him...he pistoled me in the face lol...I walked away.
  • rob602pa likes this

austintrain
  • austintrain

Trick

• Members

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:36 PM

i think your definition of spawn killing is being killed within 5 seconds of spawning.

for others it could be up lasting up to  a minute or two but just not being allowed to go anywhere do anything or even get any car or mount a defense be it against tank, higher level player, or higher skilled player.

the first version of spawn killing, your version, doesn't nay can't happen that often. the latter... happens all day every day.

i think you may be right. perhaps my definition of spawn killing is at odds with others.

i still find it difficult, however, to accept that someone would allow themselves to get killed repeatedly. unless they're genuinely trying to fight back and don't care about dying.

if you're 'spawn trapped' and can't escape by running, driving, going passive or killing yourself, then a valid move would be leaving the session. rage enduced, or otherwise.

Rage quitting is the phrase used to describe the action of a playing leaving a session for the primary reason of being frustrated.

It could have been called anger quitting, bored quitting, frustrated quitting and others, but rage quitting caught on most likely due to it's catchiness and simplicity as a phrase when compared to the aforementioned others.

There you go OP. Accept it.

okay. i accept it.

i still don't like it as a phrase. it's overused and mostly inaccurate, even though i do now accept your definition.
  • Shootinalloveryourface likes this

Darth_Rob
  • Darth_Rob

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:42 PM Edited by Darth_Rob, 03 April 2014 - 04:44 PM.

Spawn killing: Yes, I was spawn killed back before they fixed it so you don't respawn right next to the guy who just killed you.  Not so much anymore.

Rage quitting: I can only assume that when the last two cars in a race suddenly quit, it's because they're getting spanked so bad that they threw a little hissy fit.

I rage quit only once myself, months ago on Down the Drain. As usual, most of the cars crammed into that first hairpin like a bunch of turds in a drainpipe and wiped out.  I was the only one that made it through.  By the time they got their sh*t together, I was already on the opposite side of the track.  About the time I started to lap the stragglers, the majority of the other racers started driving backwards and aiming right at me.  After being wiped out 4 or 5 times and dropping from 1st to 6th place, I just said "screw it" and quit.

So I know rage quitting exists.

austintrain
  • austintrain

Trick

• Members

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:59 PM

The OP makes a sweeping generalisation with absolutely no substance, and qualifies it with...

nonsense. my insubstantial and sweeping generalisation was completely unqualified.
  • Strikeslip likes this

Arya35
  • Arya35

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:00 PM

It's incredibly easy with a heavy sniper since you can just see where they spawn and aim at their location until they pop out to be shot. I can keep on killing people as long as they don't spawn right next to me since they are invincible for a few seconds. 

Most people either try to fight back or go into passive mode, although they sometimes leave but i doubt that's because they rage quit.

austintrain
  • austintrain

Trick

• Members

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:11 PM

I have seen and done all three.

A group of tanks killed me in the city at least 15 or 20 times while I attempted to get away, bitched at them over the mic at how cowardly they were and generally was extremely angry with all the insults and putdowns flying my way because I was aparently expected to be able to kill three tanks while on foot. I quit the session...went to SP and went for a smoke to simmer down. So esentially a spawn camp and rage quit in one.

I have also sniper spawn camped more than one individual until they left. One guy really wanted a ruiner something fierce and kept going back to the same car below me on the street. I literally focused the scope on the seat and just pulled trigger every time he sat down. After about 10 kills I decided to check his level and he was like a 10. I felt bad and parachuted down to the car and drove it over to him...he pistoled me in the face lol...I walked away.

seems like tanks are most guilty of this, then. and a group of tanks would be particularly harsh, but there are enough threads talking about these issues already.

also, i had forgotten about sniping from a high vantage point. it is quite easy to kill someone repeatedly, but only if they are the peculiar brand of persistent idiot that you describe.

i once killed a player seven times in a row, by placing sticky bombs at the top of the only staircase leading to the roof on which i was hiding. he just kept on coming and each time i heard them express surprise at being blown up. i got bored after that and calmly left.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users