Quantcast

» «
Photo

Do you agree with R* and their ridiculous excuse? 3D and HD universe..

158 replies to this topic
Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:16 PM

I mean, Willy is not the same Willy from Vice City? Even though he looks and sounds the exact same and has the same voice actor? What?

Willy was in Vice City, he was in the rigged Limo, and Tommy saved him. 30 years later, he's in Whisky a Go Go in Los Santos 2013. Why would that be so hard to accept? It's years later and there is no need to mention tommy so he's not mentioned. You dont need it to be an entire different universe to understand why tommy isnt there. Willy in V is LITERALLY like having Jim Carrey as the Riddler in the Nolan films, because that's exactly what happened here. Same actor and everything. It's the same guy.

oh my god...  how are you having so much difficulty understanding this concept.... :panic:

Jim Carrey could have LITERALLY been the The Riddler in Nolans films, but that would NOT mean it would have been canonical with prior films.

Tommy, Claude & CJ, as well all of Love Fist, could have been GTA V, but that would NOT mean it would have been canonical with the prior games.

Says who?

Completely agree.

Why on earth is anyone actually concerned about canon in GTAV? It doesn't matter, guys. Not one iota.

• Ss4gogeta0 likes this

BlackNoise
  • BlackNoise

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:34 PM

RockStar gave you a simple excuse.

The truth is obvious and no one seems to see it. The budget for voice acting is getting tighter. In GTAIII we had big names. Frank Vincent and Micheal Madsen.

Then in Vice City they paid I imagine a great deal of money to have some of Hollywoods best actors. They went all out for this title.

In San Andreas they didn't go all out as much, but still had many great Hollywood voices. Samuel Jackson, Sean Penn yet they didn't have to pay Young Maylay nearly as much to voice the main character CJ.

GTA4 and GTAV has mostly TV show actors, because newer GTA games have longer scripts and RockStar simply cannot afford to pay top HollyWood actors the money to do the voices.

That's the bottom line. It is what it is. Tommy Vercetti is voiced by Ray Liotta. He's expensive to hire and RockStar would rather hire a cheaper actor to do voices in a long script.

If RockStar brought Tommy Vercetti back and hired a B list actor to voice Him would you accept this?

This is a possibility, but if they were to bring a character back, it would probably be in the form of a cameo. Nothing like the entire cast for VC or SA. 

If R* wanted to bring Tommy Vercetti back, they would. They would hire a B list actor, which means Tommy Vercetti would be voiced by Ray Liotta. I love so many of those actors, but most aren't what they use to be. I do think R* wants to distance themselves from Hollywood actors, which is a terrible decision IMO, but not for financial reasons. 

They have more than enough money, and many of those actors would be a bargain at this time. 

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

Huelga birds in the air and we're chargin with spears

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:42 PM

RockStar gave you a simple excuse.

The truth is obvious and no one seems to see it. The budget for voice acting is getting tighter. In GTAIII we had big names. Frank Vincent and Micheal Madsen.

Then in Vice City they paid I imagine a great deal of money to have some of Hollywoods best actors. They went all out for this title.

In San Andreas they didn't go all out as much, but still had many great Hollywood voices. Samuel Jackson, Sean Penn yet they didn't have to pay Young Maylay nearly as much to voice the main character CJ.

GTA4 and GTAV has mostly TV show actors, because newer GTA games have longer scripts and RockStar simply cannot afford to pay top HollyWood actors the money to do the voices.

That's the bottom line. It is what it is. Tommy Vercetti is voiced by Ray Liotta. He's expensive to hire and RockStar would rather hire a cheaper actor to do voices in a long script.

If RockStar brought Tommy Vercetti back and hired a B list actor to voice Him would you accept this?

This is a possibility, but if they were to bring a character back, it would probably be in the form of a cameo. Nothing like the entire cast for VC or SA. 

If R* wanted to bring Tommy Vercetti back, they would. They would hire a B list actor, which means Tommy Vercetti would be voiced by Ray Liotta. I love so many of those actors, but most aren't what they use to be. I do think R* wants to distance themselves from Hollywood actors, which is a terrible decision IMO, but not for financial reasons. 

They have more than enough money, and many of those actors would be a bargain at this time. 

havnt you thought that maybe Rockstar is trying to help out lesser known actors and give them a bit of a career boost? and besides why should it matter if they dont use big name actors? I get tired of listening to SLJ's voice constantly just like everyone else would... 

cookiemonster14
  • cookiemonster14

Gangsta

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:04 PM

No. Willy from VC is in a mission in gta v and you can play as Claude online if you own the CE. Imo Rockstar just made up the excuse so people stop asking about bringing characters like CJ back etc.

• Nz_fool likes this

BlackNoise
  • BlackNoise

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:08 AM Edited by BlackNoise, 08 April 2014 - 02:08 AM.

havnt you thought that maybe Rockstar is trying to help out lesser known actors and give them a bit of a career boost? and besides why should it matter if they dont use big name actors? I get tired of listening to SLJ's voice constantly just like everyone else would... 

Because big name actors are popular for a reason. I have very few favorite films with unknown casts. It's just harder to present a quality story. You need great writing or great acting. It's best to have both, but a great actor can carry a mediocre script. A mediocre script with an underdeveloped/less talented actor suffers on both ends. The actors in GTA IV and V have done a great job, but definitely not memorable. 

And R* isn't giving those actors a career boost. They are making them stars in huge roles that never lead to anything else, and they pay them less than they should be getting paid when you consider how ridiculously popular GTA is. And why jump to SLJ? What about the many actors that are somewhat/hardly known, but extremely talented? R* wants the people nobody works with. I'm happy for them, but the franchise is better than that IMO. 

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

Huelga birds in the air and we're chargin with spears

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:09 AM

Because big name actors are popular for a reason. I have very few favorite films with unknown casts. It's just harder to present a quality story. You need great writing or great acting. It's best to have both, but a great actor can carry a mediocre script. A mediocre script with an underdeveloped/less talented actor suffers on both ends. The actors in GTA IV and V have done a great job, but definitely not memorable. 

And R* isn't giving those actors a career boost. They are making them stars in huge roles that never lead to anything else, and they pay them less than they should be getting paid when you consider how ridiculously popular GTA is. And why jump to SLJ? What about the many actors that are somewhat/hardly known, but extremely talented? R* wants the people nobody works with. I'm happy for them, but the franchise is better than that IMO. 

I jumped to SLJ because Iggy Van Zant (The mod on the forum) keeps bringing him up...

Fallcreek
  • Fallcreek

Mélomanie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:48 AM

• We won't see any III era characters because they don't exist in the HD era as the title is hinting towards.
  • The thing about Ray Liotta voicing Tommy is apparantly he was hard to work with during the V/O sessions. so I doubt Rockstar will want to work with him again, but i'm not particularly sure about the others (Michael Madson, Sean Penn, Samuel L. Jackson, etc. This isn't some schoolyard drama bullsh*t, it's a business.)
  • I do agree with Rockstar bringing in some fresh talent because it's literally 'fresh'. New faces, new opportunities. Take for example 'Vaas' in Far Cry 3. He was portrayed by Michael Mando. He's not a necessarily big actor, but like Ned Luke or Steven Ogg, he brought that character to life. I bet it's the same reason why the music on the radio stations are obscure also. They're bringing these relatively unknown artists to the light. I would have never found out about 'The Hics' on WorldWide FM if it wasn't for GTA V lol.
  • Some things are canon according to Rockstar. The misc. items are canonical as proven from the radio personalities, too the fictional band 'Love Fist' but the major events are just myths in the HD universe. "El Burro is referenced as he was also referenced in GTA 1, so it felt appropriate that he should cross “universes” – the “universes” are the worlds interpreted at different definitions, 2d, 3d and high definition, so we felt brands and radio / back ground characters would exist in both, but 3 dimensional characters would not. This is the logic (as far as it could be considered logical) behind it – so no, we don’t believe any GTA3 characters could exist in the GTA4 universe.  - Rockstar" http://www.rockstarg...claude-dar.html

JCFast
  • JCFast

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:58 AM

Am I the only noticing and laughing at the OP's true intention of this topic? He clearly says that Rockstar are incompetent, because they're unable to turn the 3d characters into HD characters... I mean technically just remodeling them to look nicer. And that this inability to do so has kept Rockstar from adding them into the HD universe? :^:

But in the more serious tone, which the kind responders took, yes, I agree, these universes should remain separate. And to be quite honest, eventhough the universe would be same for the next GTA, I wouldn't want to see Niko, Luis, Franklin, Michael or Trevor again. Unless they face their untimely demise in the beginning of the game somehow like Johnny did. :whistle:

Cloud Strife VII
  • Cloud Strife VII

Ex-Soldier

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:04 PM

Man this topic is straight mollypoppin in herr ventanoes be makkin all day Raavi suuuucckkss

on topic: The thing with the universe excuse is that what would be the problem o a throwback to the previous games it shouldn't be a problem for them to bring back old characters as a cameo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users