Quantcast

» «
Photo

Are all Postmen as ignorant as the ones in the UK?

48 replies to this topic
geobst
  • geobst

Midnight Toker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:30 AM Edited by geobst, 03 April 2014 - 04:30 AM.

I've never really spoken to or come across the regular postman in person. I see him every now and again out of the living room window, but that's about it.

The postmen who deliver packages from Royal Mail on the other hand, I really do hate. They'll come around at 8/9am and knock so lightly that you'd have to be sitting in complete silence to hear them. Not only that, but they don't even knock a second time, they just leave that piece of paper that tells you that they've been 'round and to pick your parcel up from the local Royal Mail place. As if I'm going to stay up or get up early when I won't be able to hear the guy knock on my door anyway. You'd think they'd have common sense to knock louder when somebody's living in an upstairs flat. f*cking assholes.

ExtremoMania
  • ExtremoMania

Just a dose of metal everyday

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:41 AM

Never really encountered postman though, only my sister does so since she is running some business deals. Though their attitudes aren't that kind of bad, I don't know for their services.

WBaker
  • WBaker

Acatalepsis

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:43 AM Edited by WBaker, 03 April 2014 - 09:46 AM.

I've never had any problems. I usually don't see the postal carrier, but when I do they're friendly.

This is what they drive in the US, for the benefit of people from elsewhere. For ease of delivery the steering wheel is on the right-hand side of the truck.

usps-truck.jpg

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

Relevant jorts intensify.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:15 AM

God I want one of those things.

Bare aluminum but polished though, like this.

Grumman14.gif

grummanproject.gif

Brobinski
  • Brobinski

PYPU

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:44 PM Edited by Brobinski, 03 April 2014 - 03:44 PM.

Oh, and Yodel are the worst delivery service in the world by a country mile. They make Parcelfarce look positively competent.

You've clearly never dealt with Hermes. I only discovered they exist recently and oooh sh*t was that terrible service. I should have known what I was getting into when the website I ordered some trainers for had them at £20 cheaper than anywhere else. There was no option for free shipping, despite my willing to wait as long as it took and the cheapest was something like £7.

They came roughly around when they were supposed to, but nobody was in so they left a 'delivery attempted' note. It had a contact number (a mobile number, which seemed sketchy) and told me that they'd make three attempts on consecutive days and then send the package back to its return address. I called up the number and asked if I could just come pick it up at the depot or for a specific delivery time because I actually have a job and can't just take a day off at less than a day's notice because that would be ridiculous.

The woman who answered said there was no depot (what the f*ck?) and that she'd try and deliver it before 12 the next day. Luckily that lined up with my shifts but it's ridiculous to think that people can just drop their life to wait by the door for a package. I reckon their business model must just be to leave a bunch of parcels with their staff at their homes and just let them deliver them themselves rather than out of some central depot. It's f*cking stupid and this is the only time I've sworn off a business based entirely on their service.

Seriously, f*ck Hermes. This was something like two months ago and it still annoys me enough to write three paragraphs on it, apparently.

stu
  • stu

Ya filthy animal.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:22 PM Edited by stu, 03 April 2014 - 04:22 PM.

The postman just leaves any packages with the sweet old lady next door, if nobody's in my house. She's pretty legit and wouldn't steal from me. I looked her straight in the eye, and warned her: "I only tell you one time Olga. Don't f*ck me. Don't you ever try to f*ck me."

So far she hasn't. 

• geobst likes this

JIMHO
  • JIMHO

Hateoful Player

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:55 PM Edited by JIMHO, 03 April 2014 - 04:56 PM.

I plan to work for a local postal service soon. I'm looking forward to having job security and government-paid health insurance. I just have to get training so they can't easily justify firing me. Who else are they going to hire, anyway? After about a month, I'll start to exhibit all the characteristics StormerBoy mentioned in his topic post. It'll start with my interaction with (arrogant) customers, then I'll make backhanded remarks toward my coworkers. Eventually I'll just try not to say anything to anyone at all until I quit by going to the regional head office and murder everyone I see in a "postal" rage.

LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:02 PM

My postman lives literally 2 doors down from me.

The only negative thing i have to say about this, is that for some reason he seems to hold back delivering our post until the end of the day. He must just drop it in on the way home. So we don't get our mail until about 5:30.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:18 PM

The postman who deliveres where I live is friendly enough and cant say I've ever had a bad experience with any postman for that matter.

JIMHO
  • JIMHO

Hateoful Player

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:23 PM

An update for you guys: I'm going to take a drug test (pee test) tomorrow for a postal service position, so watch for my repressed postal rage posts.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:33 PM

I've never had any problems. I usually don't see the postal carrier, but when I do they're friendly.

This is what they drive in the US, for the benefit of people from elsewhere. For ease of delivery the steering wheel is on the right-hand side of the truck.

usps-truck.jpg

I see those kinds going about my neighborhood. I prefer how the Canadian ones are painted, though. Much more easier to pick out in a crowd.

Spoiler

• THE GHETTO JEZUS likes this

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:58 PM

Has anyone ever seen one of those in either color and not known that it was a mail vehicle though?

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:15 AM

Has anyone ever seen one of those in either color and not known that it was a mail vehicle though?

I know one of my brother's neighbors has a lot of old cars in his backyard and one of them looks like one of those mail vans, or something of very similar design.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:12 AM

My mail people are nice.  We even have a little sign on our door asking them to put packages on our back deck.  They don't have to, but they take the time to walk packages to the back deck.

During Halloween one of them(a few are rotated on our route) is a regular for stopping by for candy with her kids.  She's super nice.

In my old apartment the regular mail carrier used to take his break on our front porch and smoke a cigar...he too was super nice.

Melchior
  • Melchior

The lights are so bright, but they never blind me

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • China

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:12 AM

I plan to work for a local postal service soon. I'm looking forward to having job security and government-paid health insurance. I just have to get training so they can't easily justify firing me. Who else are they going to hire, anyway? After about a month, I'll start to exhibit all the characteristics StormerBoy mentioned in his topic post. It'll start with my interaction with (arrogant) customers, then I'll make backhanded remarks toward my coworkers. Eventually I'll just try not to say anything to anyone at all until I quit by going to the regional head office and murder everyone I see in a "postal" rage.

You're set up man, future looks bright. 

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:19 AM

I know one of my brother's neighbors has a lot of old cars in his backyard and one of them looks like one of those mail vans, or something of very similar design.

You just said it yourself that this old car in someones backyard looks like a postal vehicle, that's exactly what I mean.

Smaller trucks of this design aren't usually used for too many other things besides being mail vehicles, they're not too common outside of that is what I was trying to say.

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:21 AM

problem about posting in the UK is the way streets are named and numbered.

I mean in UK, the streets are named and numbered in a way that has no rhyme nor reason.

A street might have two or three different names, depending from where you enter them. numbers are arranged totally random, but usually with oldest buildings having first numbers, and newer houses the biggest numbers. Also, the same building might have several numbers on it, and several street addresses!

So, it is no wonder that the postmen are moody and irritated, as they have to cope with the idiotic street systems of UK!!!

I mean even tourists get reallly pissed off about those confusing streetsigns and house numbers if they have to navigate the street of, say, london, for longer periods of time.

So, the postmen of Britain will have my symphaties!

Mark
  • Mark

• Feroci
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:40 AM

Then again if you walk a route you should know it pretty well. Hell, a few years back I was temporarily employed by the ONS here to help conduct the census. Walking round areas I had no idea about. Wasn't that hard to find every house, even on council estates or blocks of flats.

I've noticed the level of service does seem to vary, so I'm not willing to tar everyone from Royal Mail with the same brush. When I lived in a posher part of the local area the postmen were friendly, rang the doorbell if your letters said 'do not bend' and generally happy to try redeliver items if you weren't in. However, now living nearer to a town centre in a less desirable town they don't seem to give a f*ck about the 'do not bend' rule nor do they even bother to ring the bell to see if you're in, they instead just put in the 'sorry we missed you card'.

In fact, I've actually caught a few doing it. When I run out saying I'm in and I'm able to take the package, they say they don't have it and left it behind at the sorting centre because they couldn't be arsed to carry it. Now, if it was a big parcel I can understand but most of the time it's no bigger than a CD. This wouldn't be a problem if they didn't shut down the local office and now make us travel 30 minutes to the next nearest to pick it up..

I blame that on budget cuts instead of the staff though. The former point though...that's just plain incompetence.

Mister Kay
  • Mister Kay

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:21 AM Edited by deepthroatgta6, 04 April 2014 - 09:28 AM.

I don't know about postmen in UK but the courier guys in India seem to be idiots.
Ev0ut4X.jpg
He brought a kid on his bike.
Dropped off the mail at my place.
phssfER.jpg
Stole my younger brother's bicycle.
Got caught on cctv.
..and today the fool visits again to deliver another mail while we are showing the footage to his boss at his office. He couldn't have been in deeper sh*t..had to ride back the bicycle from his home 10kms away under the scorching sun while his boss followed him in an air conditioned car. Sadist much?

My brother is a happy camper.
  • *MURDOC* likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users