NTAuthority
  • NTAuthority

hell, no, tunnel, no

• Feroci
  • European-Union
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"
    Contribution Award [Modding]

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:50 PM Edited by NTAuthority, 4 weeks ago.

get viiv'd here

Let's begin this topic with a story, even though a story is not really something I feel like writing at this time, I always tend to start my modification topics with a story.

So, while working on CitizenIV, I had various ideas that involved additional cities outside of Liberty/NY. Outside of that, one night I got a random idea regarding making some large-scale modification on a III game involving all III maps being added together using a discovery I had made, but abandoned that idea due to it likely being too distracting from my main project goal. The next day, I decided to check on IV if that code was in any way similar, and if so, to contact the people behind the (then iced, but I thought only due to the basic extent limits) existent V-to-IV map conversion project that allegedly was so popular.

As it was similar, I set out on contacting these developers. After talking with these, I noticed that there were much larger streaming-related issues with their conversion, and that their entire workflow was pretty much based on manual importing to a modeling application. so I decided to work on modifying the existing (open-source, thankfully) tooling in order to export directly to OpenIV's import formats (as there's no clear documentation on writing the IV formats whatsoever -- heck, not even for the OpenIV-specific formats -- due to the OIV developers being a bunch of ignorant Russians only slightly better than certain other ignorant Russians who don't release any single thing at all) and therefore almost directly go from source data files to the game.

Now, a few weeks of working on tooling and a number of reverse engineering-based crash fixes later, I'm close enough to releasing a first alpha to be making a formal topic in the modification forums on here... so let's get started!

What is ViIV?

As shown in the topic title, ViIV is a modification aiming to bring the GTA V environment (preferably, all of it, from the northernmost bound to the airport area, including interiors and everything I can manage to figure out) to IV, with the primary purpose of being used as a loadable third-party resource in the CitizenMP:IV multiplayer modification framework that will get announced shortly (in fact, after the first alpha reception is live I'm suspending non-critical development on ViIV to have some time on getting started on CitMP; there's some great ideas I want to see working out there actually :) )

At this point, I have a basic map (drawables with all shaders existent in IV + non-existent shaders mapped to 'default', archetype definitions, entity placements and basic BVH triangle/box nodes -- lacking collision materials) conversion toolkit, and am currently working on verifying the functioning of the toolset in converting all of the _citye and _cityw areas of V and fixing easily-reproducible crash issues for an initial release of the modification.

This release, however, due to GTAF rules, will not be available (or even allowed to be hinted at a download link) on any GTANet websites, so you'd have to figure out how to get it on your own -- the tooling is fairly rough so I'm not intending on releasing said tooling at any point, also in part due to the code it's been based on being GPL-licensed and in part written in a programming language I had no experience in until working on modifying said tool, so I don't want my probably non-idiomatic code being posted for everyone to laugh whatsoever.

Media and other assets

Screenshots/videos will be sourced from the community around/after release as I have no interest in making screenshots from a player camera perspective myself and can't be bothered to write a proper functioning free camera addon at this point either.

Thanks, and have fun!
  • xrk, s-paco, Ash_735 and 43 others like this

Arrivance
  • Arrivance

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:59 PM

Why does 'Thanks and have fun' remind me of GabeN.

Regardless, based on what I've seen so far, this seems excellent. 

wahgah
  • wahgah

Lost In Postion

• Members

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:11 PM

Can't wait to see more, it will definitely be interesting to see what you accomplish with this.

darthvader20011
  • darthvader20011

Official MST Taxi Driver

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:11 PM

Interesting... I'm looking foward on this mod ;)
  • pogo_01 likes this

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

PingPang

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:23 PM

Looking forward to this!
  • darthvader20011 and BlackScout like this

flak0x
  • flak0x

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:48 AM

You're a genius OP. Can't wait to see some progress

Arrivance
  • Arrivance

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:08 PM

I'm sure some of you have seen this, but NTAuthority posted some little tidbits of progress a while back.

Obviously the footage isn't representative of the current progress of the modification (I saw further progress a couple of days ago, but I don't have receipt of the 'alpha'/'beta' footage that was then shown).

• #Shake, PacketOVerload_x64Bit and Mega like this

#Shake
  • #Shake

Im B_Shake In Game

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:09 PM Edited by MurdaGame, 31 March 2014 - 08:11 PM.

NTAuthority the call of duty mw2 legend....had great time on that game thanks to you, aiw was big, lets see what ur gonna bring now to the gta community

lookin forward to it

• zcire likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:06 PM

Does ZZCool/Taltigolt have anything to do with this project, or are you making it yourself without all that useless marketing?

• zcire likes this

Silent
  • Silent

Moderating Cookie Monster

• Feroci
  • Poland
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2013
    Most Talented [Modding] 2013
    Best Vehicle 2013 "III Aircraft"
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:17 PM

Does ZZCool/Taltigolt have anything to do with this project, or are you making it yourself without all that useless marketing?

He's a lone wolf.
  • zcire, universetwisters, Mr. Jago and 6 others like this

itrpatrick
  • itrpatrick

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:20 PM Edited by itrpatrick, 31 March 2014 - 09:23 PM.

Great news, NTA. I'm glad that you started this topic. The last one was a train-wreck! Can't wait to see this mod in action! :)

edit: I posted this at 420... ;)

• universetwisters, Rockstar Games™, ssbawesome and 1 other like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:00 AM

He's a lone wolf.

Great news. Nice to see someone who actually knows how to work it being in charge.

I can't wait to see North Yankton!

• zcire likes this

flak0x
  • flak0x

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:03 AM

I'm going to be checking this thread weekly. Man with this news I kinda hope GTA V PC gets a delayed announcement ;O
  • zcire likes this

GooD-NTS
  • GooD-NTS

OpenIV lead developer

• Members
  • Russia
  • Best Tool 2012 [OpenIV]

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:10 AM

(as there's no clear documentation on writing the IV formats whatsoever -- heck, not even for the OpenIV-specific formats -- due to the OIV developers being a bunch of ignorant Russians only slightly better than certain other ignorant Russians who don't release any single thing at all)

Here is no documentation for OpenIV's openFormats because I'm too lazy, but anyway if you have questions you can always just ask me.
  • Alt, Rockstar Games™, itrpatrick and 1 other like this

MKIIIX
  • MKIIIX

█│║▌║││█

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:19 AM Edited by MKIIIX, 01 April 2014 - 10:20 AM.

About time someone with real knowledgement ended that Drama,looking forward for this :^:

• zcire, Alt, Rockstar Games™ and 2 others like this

TommyCJFaann
  • TommyCJFaann

Everything changes.

• Members
  • India

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:46 PM

Great news. Nice to see someone who actually knows how to work it being in charge.

Hope that you got some brains now... ;)

Zer0w5
  • Zer0w5

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:30 PM

Can't wait to see what's going to unravel once it's out.

Arrivance
  • Arrivance

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:31 PM

NTAuthority the call of duty mw2 legend....had great time on that game thanks to you, aiw was big, lets see what ur gonna bring now to the gta community

lookin forward to it

He's done tonnes of the GTA community before this, like working on the GTA VCS mod, and a couple of other released and tests. 

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:30 PM

I don't get that statement. Could you explain?

TJGM
  • TJGM

GTA Mods Led-By

• Feroci
  • Ireland

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:33 PM

I think he thinks you're the reason why the 'North Yankton' in IV thread got thrashed. When it was just that idiot who kept making new accounts and blamed you for getting him 'banned'.
  • lafincow12 likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:52 PM

I think he thinks you're the reason why the 'North Yankton' in IV thread got thrashed. When it was just that idiot who kept making new accounts and blamed you for getting him 'banned'.

Oh yeah, John. You might know him as nazness, shakingnaz, shakingazz, and many many other names.

• TJGM and lafincow12 like this

PacketOVerload_x64Bit
  • PacketOVerload_x64Bit

ENB Puritan

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:07 PM

SO stoked. Waiting [somewhat] patiently.  :r*:  :cookie: 

Rockstar Games™
  • Rockstar Games™

Non Official Forum Leader

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:53 PM

How is the tool that "allows a full-size V map conversion on IV without any zfighting/streaming bugs" going?

• zcire likes this

Franklin123
  • Franklin123

Rockstar Games Dev Team

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:36 AM

Very Cool, can you make gta v transparent menu (i waiting for this map too)  :bbq:  :r*:

mixxlegend
  • mixxlegend

Player Helper

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:04 AM

"This release, however, due to GTAF rules, will not be available (or even allowed to be hinted at a download link) on any GTANet websites, so you'd have to figure out how to get it on your own"

torrents i guess :D

im waiting for this mod 3 months... and im glad ZZCool and Taltigolt have nothing with this mod, so it will not fail, working alone is the best ;)

if anybody want to join you in team fu*k them :D

buzzbass
  • buzzbass

mayorista no limpio pescado

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:47 PM

Why most of comments are zzcool & old sh*t related? can't we just keep the new thread clean and focused on the topic? 

Saunders420
  • Saunders420

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:33 PM

Hells yeah. this is gonna be really snazzy. Cant wait to see the final outcome!

Sobotkama
  • Sobotkama

Player Hater

• Members
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:37 PM

This release, however, due to GTAF rules, will not be available (or even allowed to be hinted at a download link) on any GTANet websites, so you'd have to figure out how to get it on your own

You mean it like we can download it, but from elsewhere or like it is not released yet, but when it will be released we will be able to download it from elsewhere?

PS.:Love this mod :)

Argon
  • Argon

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:28 PM

This release, however, due to GTAF rules, will not be available (or even allowed to be hinted at a download link) on any GTANet websites, so you'd have to figure out how to get it on your own

You mean it like we can download it, but from elsewhere or like it is not released yet, but when it will be released we will be able to download it from elsewhere?

PS.:Love this mod :)

As I understand from this thread (otherwise it would be flooded), he is still working on the tools and nothing is released. He just meant that when(if? :p) this does get released, those files will not be allowed on GTAforums and probably any respectable modding site. Yes, it'll find its ways through the gray areas like torrents and mega etc.

NTAuthority
  • NTAuthority

hell, no, tunnel, no

• Feroci
  • European-Union
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Contribution Award [Modding]

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:16 PM

Okay, I've hit some fairly significant issue with fixing up the world sector boundaries in preparation for the initial alpha, seeing as _citye and _cityw extend a slight-but-significant bit outside of the boundaries of the standard world sectors and I'd need to have a more advanced framework set up for proper expansion of these (by rewriting all involved functions in a large part, for which I'd have to set up a bunch of clean game interfaces preferably) which is kind of part of the project I was planning to do past the alpha, so I've set up a poll with a few options I have to choose from regarding this to check your opinion on these items.

Please do vote.

• PacketOVerload_x64Bit, avail, Ss4gogeta0 and 4 others like this

10 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users