Quantcast

» «
Photo

What are the most milked Game Franchises?

92 replies to this topic
DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

The fall is FAST and STEEP

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:34 PM Edited by DarthShinobi, 29 March 2014 - 08:36 PM.

Lets forget that SA and IV were 4 years apart and IV and V were 5.

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:36 PM Edited by redx165, 29 March 2014 - 08:36 PM.

Lets forget that SA and IV were 3 years apart and IV and V were 5.

Lets forget that SA and IV were 3 years apart and IV and V were 5.

Lets forget that SA and IV weren't after one another. 

We had LCS, VCS, than IV, CTW, than V. 

​GTA is also another milked franchise. 

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

You're all a bunch of ungrateful children

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:37 PM Edited by CantThinkOfOne2013, 29 March 2014 - 08:52 PM.

V is milking you with online. Cash cards and etc...  

260px-Mgs4us_cover_small.jpg
I post this as a response to people who whine about cash cards.

OP: I agree with your list of milked games, but Call of Duty should by number 1 and what you said about Mario is sad but true, however, I disagree with your list of games that you think are going to milked, particularly Watch Dogs and The Last of Us, Watch Dogs is not going to get good reviews for obvious reasons so I can't see Ubisoft milking it and The Last of Us has already been explained, i've never played a Bioshock game (although I plan to get into the series) so I can't comment there, Titanfall, however, even though I will never played it (Xbox exclusive), I can see being milked because it's a FPS published by EA.

redx165
  • redx165

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:39 PM Edited by redx165, 29 March 2014 - 08:39 PM.

OP: I agree with your list of milked games, but Call of Duty should by number 1 and what you said about Mario is sad but true, however, I disagree with your list of games that you think are going to milked, particularly Watch Dogs and The Last of Us, Watch Dogs is not going to get good reviews for obvious reasons so I can't see Ubisoft milking it and The Last of Us has already been explained, i've never played a Bioshock game (although I plan to get into the series) so I can't comment there, Titanfall, however, even though I will never played it (Xbox exclusive), I can see being milked because it's a FPS published by EA.

Never played Metal Gear. Was thinking of picking it up the new one but heard its only 15 minutes long. Truth be told it was. 

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:41 PM Edited by DarthShinobi, 29 March 2014 - 08:45 PM.

It's not even the "new" one.
It's a filler for V.

As for GTA being milked again, Rockstar North makes the main entries into the series, Leeds makes the spin off, ie. the Stories and Chinatown Wars. So it's hardly released yearly.

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:44 PM

Never played Metal Gear. Was thinking of picking it up the new one but heard its only 15 minutes long. Truth be told it was. 

Least you can hear that, what you won't hear is that Metal Gear Solid 4 was only a 4 hour game when the cutscenes were skipped and it's (now closed, good riddance) multiplayer required you to pay for additional content rather than unlocking it (think of it like compulsory cash cards) and you even had to pay for new character slots.

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:46 PM

Is a PS3 exclusive, redx won't believe the madness!

pokemon123
  • pokemon123

stuff

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:47 PM

Hmm pokemon feels a bit stale to me, But then again i typicaly don't play pokemon for the multiplayer since i suck. pokemon black I feel changed alot. The NSMB games are quite milked but fun at least. I have a bad feeling about battlefield. Well this game doesn't necesarli count as a franchise but persona 4, great game but jesus p4 gets an anime, a DANCING game, a fighter, a remake, a sequel to the fighter. p4 arena was fun but at least they finally came out with persona 5.

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:52 PM

Is a PS3 exclusive, redx won't believe the madness!

No one will believe the madness about that 'game', not just redx.

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

a.k.a: BLOOD

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:03 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 29 March 2014 - 09:06 PM.

@Redx
Hey pls can you keep it civil,thanks (btw you dont have to reply to him) :) but yes an MMO is a massive multiplayer game that can be from a number higher and you can do many things with other players in an ever,evolving world.hope that answers your question although i just woke up so it a bit sketch :)

Wait a minute,there are 15 games in GTA (11 Stand-alone games and 4 Expansion Packs) wait how many years did it take before Vice City (2002) got a prequel?4 Years, and San Andreas (2004) was one of the Greatest Game of all time,a game that influenced every Gang-Themed Openworld Games including Saints Row and the Gangsters Franchise (not to forget it only took GTA 4 years to change the gaming industry and OW genre forever 1997-2001).TLAD and TBoGT both (2009) defined DLCs this generation,and both are 10hrs Story-wise unlike MGS:GZ and they costs $20 (and yeah MGS) is also milked need to update the OP.London 1969 in 1999 was the first-even Console Expansion Game (something that was usual with PC) and the first Expansion in Playstation History,then V's All-Time record last year and cmon that just in 17 years of a franchise existant and it not even 20 until 2017.lol unlike AC and CoD and Battlefield (all age 12,11 and 7) and MILKED to DEATH but tbh why are you saying GTA is a milked franchise?

side note:
GTA 4-April 2008
*AC2-2009
*AC Brotherhood-2010
*AC3-2012
*AC Portable-2012
*AC4-2013
GTA 5
damn look how many AC came out within IV-V duration.

Johan
  • Johan

He won’t see the sun again for years to come

• The Yardies
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:05 PM

GTA

Assassins Creed

FIFA

Madden

COD

Battlefield

and 50 other games that can count past 4

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:09 PM Edited by FranklinDeRoosevelt, 29 March 2014 - 09:11 PM.

RedX is the biggest GTA hater here. He's so thick skulled that he doesn't even realise Rockstar North do not make the handheld versions of GTA, therefore it isn't milked. SA to IV was four years, and IV to V was almost 5 years. We only have to f*cking GTA games on the last gen consoles.

TLOU shouldn't even be on this list.

redx165
  • redx165

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:14 PM Edited by redx165, 29 March 2014 - 09:31 PM.

RedX is the biggest GTA hater here. He's so thick skulled that he doesn't even realise Rockstar North do not make the handheld versions of GTA, therefore it isn't milked. SA to IV was four years, and IV to V was almost 5 years. We only have to f*cking GTA games on the last gen consoles.

Using that logic Assassin Creed and Call of Duty shouldn't be on there either since different people make them. 

If it has the title in its name its apart of the family. 

@ Blood 

Yes and how is 16 massive? Want to know what a MMO is? Go play Final Fantasy. I heard they're doing another beta soon and I'll tell you when it comes.

Anyways since I deleted my good comment I'm going to try and replace it with a decent one. 

GTA IV: It's own game

EFLC: It's own game

SR1: It's own game

SR2: It's own game

SR3: It's own game

SR4: It's own game ( It was even planed as a DLC )

Same location doesn't make it a DLC. As long as it has its own story and ON a disc it's a NEW game. 

A game doesn't have to be released yearly to be called a milk franchise just as long as they really don't change anything. GTA V is still the same as GTA III just a lot easier to play. 

Ubisoft is famous for its lies. Watch Dogs and Far Cry 3 are proof on graphic downgrades. 

Why do I feel GTA is milked? Like I said above GTA V really didn't change nothing but add features. They take features away to make the original more unique and add some other stuff to keep this one interesting. Also they already release 15 titles in less than 20 years. Maybe one ( 2 if you count EFLC ) every 4 years kinda like what they did with the HD era games. 

I don't support AC or COD. Both are terrible games. I did heard however that ACIV was good. Ghost I had experience with it and its garbage. 

Sorry this comment isn't anywhere as good. If you got any question I'll answer them as respectfully as I can. 

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:21 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 29 March 2014 - 09:27 PM.

^ Two Main GTA games on the PS3/Xbox 360 Era is so shocking compared to many new franchises that started on the PS3/Xbox 360 Era (AC and Saints Row)...True LCS,VCS and Chinatown Wars werent developed by North (but with the Help and Supervision of Them) Rockstar Leeds were the ones that developed the aforementioned games.And VCS (2006) a sequel to 2002's VC came 4 years (look at that).

@Redx165
Lol no problem i know that feeling when something sh*t happens with the PC that why i am always on my phone (but it sh*t)...but yeah,so? AC and CoD are still MILKED no matter who makes which plus Ubisoft Montreal have over 1200 employees and it them that created the franchise and have SO milked it with annual realise,btw why are you support AC and CoD?lol

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:22 PM Edited by DarthShinobi, 29 March 2014 - 09:22 PM.

They're still considered main games in the series.

The Stories series in GTA are spin offs.

Blood, you ass don't ninja me like that brah! :p

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• Members

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:29 PM Edited by FranklinDeRoosevelt, 29 March 2014 - 09:30 PM.

Using that logic Assassin Creed and Call of Duty shouldn't be on there either since different people make them. 

@ Blood I got to write a new comment cause I closed the window trying to check something else. 

That's terrible logic actually. Because with COD, it still comes out every year no matter who's making it. The modern warfare games come out one year, and the next year Treyarch's game comes out. Black Ops 2 was announced May 2012, and it immediately came out in the same year in November. Black ops 1 was announced April 2010, and was released in the same year in November 2010. Modern Warfare 2 was announced February 2011 and released November 2011.

With AC, ever since Brotherhood, it's been coming out every year. Don't deny that.

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:43 PM

To be fair, with the Sims, there's plenty to do in the vanilla game. It's not like you need all the expansions to have fun.

The expansions are just that...Expansions.

Exactly. And lots of people don't find that out until they've bought an expansion and experienced the disappointment. Some people even feel the compulsive need to catch 'em all!

You'd think a lot of that stuff would easy enough to throw into the main game. Pets, seasons/weather, and vacations (for example) have been a staple of the series since the first Sims and its packs, but each time they're added in expansion packs rather than the vanilla release. Stuff Packs are comparable to unofficial custom content (with The Sims 2, not sure about 3), but you still gotta pay 5-10 bucks for each.

It's nice that The Sims 3 at least had cars and outings in vanilla though.

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:45 PM

@ Blood I got to write a new comment cause I closed the window trying to check something else. 

That's terrible logic actually. Because with COD, it still comes out every year no matter who's making it. The modern warfare games come out one year, and the next year Treyarch's game comes out. Black Ops 2 was announced May 2012, and it immediately came out in the same year in November. Black ops 1 was announced April 2010, and was released in the same year in November 2010. Modern Warfare 2 was announced February 2011 and released November 2011.

With AC, ever since Brotherhood, it's been coming out every year. Don't deny that.

TLAD was first announced in E3 2006 according to Wikipedia (that was way before Saints Row started or even SoA show) but was delayed multiple times until release in 2009 and that game alone is innovative than any CoD game today.

@Redx
(my phone is f*cking up right now) but yeah EFLC is it own Game with two installments that why TLAD and TBoGT are part of what make up the 15 games in the GTA Franchise and are the 3rd and 4th Expansion games after 1999's London 1969 and London 1961.But you can deny it that TLAD and TBoGT didnt worth your $20 in everyways unlike a yearly MILKED AC game charging $60 or CoD or MGS:Ground Zero.

redx165
  • redx165

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:48 PM

You said it's made by different people so it's not the same. Same can be said about GTA. 

Proof you said that: Rockstar North do not make the handheld versions of GTA, therefore it isn't milked.

GTA III, VC, and SA came out the same month. IV would of too. VC was heard about the same year it was release same as SA. 

The difference between GTA and COD is GTA was once a annually release while COD still is. 

AC has been going down but like I said I heard ACIV was a step in the right direction. 

TLAD was first announced in E3 2006 according to Wikipedia (that was way before Saints Row started or even SoA show) but was delayed multiple times until release in 2009 and that game alone is innovative than any CoD game today.

@Redx
(my phone is f*cking up right now) but yeah EFLC is it own Game with two installments that why TLAD and TBoGT are part of what make up the 15 games in the GTA Franchise and are the 3rd and 4th Expansion games after 1999's London 1969 and London 1961.But you can deny it that TLAD and TBoGT didnt worth your $20 in everyways unlike a yearly MILKED AC game charging $60 or CoD or MGS:Ground Zero.

TLAD and TBOGT are totally worth the money. Each adds something new to liberty city. 

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• Members

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:53 PM Edited by FranklinDeRoosevelt, 29 March 2014 - 09:55 PM.

RedX, handheld gaming are easy to develop for that's why R* leeds didn't take time in releasing GTA spin off's. They weren't on the PS2/3 so your statement is invalid.

COD comes out every year regardless of the two groups who make it. Each series is getting milked equally and it's getting worse. End of discussion. And it's been like that since the PS3 came out. There's been 7 damn COD games on last gen alone. And 6 AC games too. COD Ghosts is already on the PS4, and MW4 info was leaked end of last year. MW4 is coming out this year. The year after is going to be B03.

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:02 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 29 March 2014 - 10:07 PM.

@FranklinDeRoosevelt
True,but LCS and VCS were later released for PS2 making them not exclusive to Handheld like Chinatown Wars or Advanced,but them it took them 4 years to make a Prequel to Vice City (2002-2006) lol i cant see CoD or AC or even MGS doing that plus VCS wasnt 2hrs like Ground Zero :p
i know HD Era will never be discontinued like the 2D or 3D Era,but we only got 2 Main GTA games on this gen (but if TLAD,TBoGT and CTW were included it only 5 HD Era games) :)

chatD4VIS-360
  • chatD4VIS-360

Prankster

• Members

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:11 PM

Metal gear solid I have to disagree with. Though there are a lot they are still spectacular. Assassins creed however is not as spectacular. COD goes without saying. Also I would add the madden series.

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:17 PM Edited by RedDaggerXL, 29 March 2014 - 10:40 PM.

RedX, handheld gaming are easy to develop for that's why R* leeds didn't take time in releasing GTA spin off's. They weren't on the PS2/3 so your statement is invalid.

...so if a game is easy to develop, then it's totally justified to release them with less time between games and it not being milking?

Despite the fact that that's exactly how milking works - get an easy to make game (e.g. CoD) and release often. 

Unless GTA gets special treatment or something.

@Redx
Hey pls can you keep it civil,thanks (btw you dont have to reply to him) :) but yes an MMO is a massive multiplayer game that can be from a number higher and you can do many things with other players in an ever,evolving world.hope that answers your question although i just woke up so it a bit sketch :)

Wait a minute,there are 15 games in GTA (11 Stand-alone games and 4 Expansion Packs) wait how many years did it take before Vice City (2002) got a prequel?4 Years, and San Andreas (2004) was one of the Greatest Game of all time,a game that influenced every Gang-Themed Openworld Games including Saints Row and the Gangsters Franchise (not to forget it only took GTA 4 years to change the gaming industry and OW genre forever 1997-2001).TLAD and TBoGT both (2009) defined DLCs this generation,and both are 10hrs Story-wise unlike MGS:GZ and they costs $20 (and yeah MGS) is also milked need to update the OP.London 1969 in 1999 was the first-even Console Expansion Game (something that was usual with PC) and the first Expansion in Playstation History,then V's All-Time record last year and cmon that just in 17 years of a franchise existant and it not even 20 until 2017.lol unlike AC and CoD and Battlefield (all age 12,11 and 7) and MILKED to DEATH but tbh why are you saying GTA is a milked franchise?

I'm not attacking your point directly here, but what you just did was explain how GTA isn't milked, then say AC and CoD and BF are milked-end-of-story-like-f*ck-will-I-explain-how-they're-milked-they-just-are-accept-my-point.

Just because a game breaks records and 'defines x', does that mean they're not milked? Or, conversely, CoD, AC and BF break records, and they define things - BF destruction, AC was 'the' parkour game, CoD is 'the' arcade shooter...unless you're just gonna say 'lol no they just suck and are milked end of story you are invalid I win end of'.

Plus what the hell is with (all age 12,11 and 7)? Was that really necessary, true, not something that's been overdone - plus GTA's fanbase is just as young and stupid and annoying? lol f*ck me, rage mode off. 

• redx165 and Detective Phelps like this

chatD4VIS-360
  • chatD4VIS-360

Prankster

• Members

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:25 PM Edited by chatD4VIS-360, 29 March 2014 - 10:26 PM.

Can we define "milking" as similar gameplay between different titles released in a short time frame?

By that criteria:

COD
Assassins
FIFA
Madden (basically most sports games)
Arkham origins was milked I think.

NOT

GTA- you have to admit there's no other game like GTAV
MGS:GZ- transition to open world?

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:28 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 29 March 2014 - 10:40 PM.

^^ lol when i said (age 12,11 and 7) that how long they have existed :)

@chatD4VIS-360
You can always make your own list if you dont agree, i said that in the OP (which I have edited like 10 times already to expand the list ) :)

Edit:My mobile versiom of the forums is kind of weird and unstable right now,but true i have to agree with you on Ground Zero (even though it 2hrs/10min game costing $40) despite that,that the first time MGS is going Openworld and that SO innovative for a 27 years old franchise that has being all about Stealth and Linearity until now.

hornedturtle
  • hornedturtle

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:30 PM

CoD-
1. the next 3+ games have already been announced
2. competitive scene gets confused about which game will get run at tournaments
3. due to multi-developers quality and balance fluctuate greatly

Anything by blizzard post sc2
2 freemium games which don't use separate lore
WoW...microtransactions, f*ck knows how many expansions and a subscription fee?

any sport game from ea

pokemon.
only franchise to get away with selling multiple versions of the same game with the only difference being the spawn rates on monsters.

redx165
  • redx165

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:36 PM Edited by redx165, 29 March 2014 - 10:40 PM.

COD comes out every year regardless of the two groups who make it. Each series is getting milked equally and it's getting worse. End of discussion. And it's been like that since the PS3 came out. There's been 7 damn COD games on last gen alone. And 6 AC games too. COD Ghosts is already on the PS4, and MW4 info was leaked end of last year. MW4 is coming out this year. The year after is going to be B03.

There was 5 GTA games on the PS2. 

PS2 came out 2001 till 2006 I believe. 

So don't say Rockstar never milked. Rockstar did it for the PS2 era while COD and AC do it right now. 

Really my statement is invalid? I was expecting more from you. 

A little bit of searching you would of found this:
 http://lmgtfy.com/?q=GTA+LCS+PS2

@ Reddagger the GTA fanbase is just as bad as the COD fanbase. Can't accept any hate towards their beloved game. Still trying to defend how GTA isn't milked yet counter prove it with a series that does the same. 

Blood no amount of records can hide a game being milked. If you want records to prove a point I can easily counter it with Call of Duty broke the most sold record multiple times. Records means nothing when it comes to milking a game. 

W2B
  • W2B

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:37 PM

What about all those LEGO games. All of them basically the same, just with different characters and stories. I've only played the Star Wars trilogy, Indiana Jones and the first Batman. Got bored with the series after that.

chatD4VIS-360
  • chatD4VIS-360

Prankster

• Members

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:40 PM

^ lol when i said (age 12,11 and 7) that how long they have existed :)

@chatD4VIS-360
You can always make your own list if you dont agree, i said that in the OP (which I have edited like 10 times already to expand the list ) :)

Or I could post here and not flood the forums with duplicate threads.

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:51 PM

There was 5 GTA games on the PS2. 

PS2 came out 2001 till 2006 I believe. 

So don't say Rockstar never milked. Rockstar did it for the PS2 era while COD and AC do it right now. 

Really my statement is invalid? I was expecting more from you. 

A little bit of searching you would of found this:
 http://lmgtfy.com/?q=GTA+LCS+PS2

@ Reddagger the GTA fanbase is just as bad as the COD fanbase. Can't accept any hate towards their beloved game. Still trying to defend how GTA isn't milked yet counter prove it with a series that does the same. 

Blood no amount of records can hide a game being milked. If you want records to prove a point I can easily counter it with Call of Duty broke the most sold record multiple times. Records means nothing when it comes to milking a game. 

Cheers for sharing the link,it was interesting and also funny with the automatic search thing lol,but yeah i also told Franklin that there were later released on PS2 (i am sure he knows that himself) so none of you are wrong ;) plus redDagger misunderstood me when i said (12,11 and 7) and i mean their years of existances...yeah CoD broke multiple records but that with the yearly installments unlike V which broke 7GWRs,and btw CoD is #8 while GTA is #5 among the Top 10 Biggest Game franchises,here: http://vgsales.wikia...game_franchises and the Lol moment is GTA isnt even annualised liked CoD but it on the top 5 of the Top 10.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users