Why aren't Air Races popular?

53 replies to this topic
GTAMYBABIES
  • GTAMYBABIES

Friendship Is Magic

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:58 PM

I like plane races. Helicopter races are not as fun.

Sir Michael
  • Sir Michael

I have avatar problems.. I'm aware of this.

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:02 PM

If I remember correctly, there's nothing to unlock with air/sea races unlike car races where you can unlock mods to improve your cars. So maybe people don't find much motivation to play them.

You can unlock car parts with Air Races. The unlock system seems to be set up to "Total Wins" on that character instead of wins per vehicle class.

manicmechanic71
  • manicmechanic71

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:17 PM

Personally it's because I'm super crap at them! No mods to win either

Alarming
  • Alarming

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:35 PM

Once your behind catching up is near impossible
  • SecludedMemory likes this

lordemperor
  • lordemperor

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:53 PM

Air races aren't really competitive, you just fly from point to point and no one would ever gain or lose time without catchup on. Some of the ones in the city are good when the turns are hard enough that bad pilots crash.

Also sometimes two+ planes won't fit in the checkpoint and everyone collides.

Art:Vandelay
  • Art:Vandelay

Architect, Latex Producer, Marine Biologist

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:56 PM

I enjoy air races. #luxormasterrace

Shamals are way better

SecludedMemory
  • SecludedMemory

Lysergified

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:11 PM Edited by SecludedMemory, 29 March 2014 - 09:13 PM.

Plane races are fun, but [opinion]I think the helicopter physics are just too goofy in this game to make helicopter races enjoyable[/opinion]. Every one has either been a 0.5 second place finish for me, or some jackass behind me forcing me to crash or lose control when I'm in first place. I still need another win to unlock the military matte finishes (which I've been wanting for a while), but 1. I don't race much and 2. when me and my crew (or especially randoms) do it's usually not an air race.

This threads got me wanting to make an air race now. Loops, Loops, Loops is my idea, guys. 

Day Reaper
  • Day Reaper

Executioner

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:12 PM

One mistake and you ain't winning.
Even If you are an ACE rank.

CaliMeatWagon
  • CaliMeatWagon

Cause of head scratching.

• Members

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:20 PM

I personally enjoy air races and so does a good portion of my crew. Air races are more about skill, take the proper lines, and properly controlling your vehicle. Using the rudder will slow you down more than making a banking turn. And the thing with air races is they need to be locked to a certain vehicle(s) and the track should be tailored to the plane. A knife flight race through the city? Might be best for the Mallard. What to fly below the radar and go up, then dive down, mountain ravines? Vestra's a nice option. But one thing is for certain, they need to enlarging the size of the checkpoints.

Plane races are fun, but [opinion]I think the helicopter physics are just too goofy in this game to make helicopter races enjoyable[/opinion]. Every one has either been a 0.5 second place finish for me, or some jackass behind me forcing me to crash or lose control when I'm in first place. I still need another win to unlock the military matte finishes (which I've been wanting for a while), but 1. I don't race much and 2. when I/we do it's usually not an air race.

This threads got me wanting to make an air race now. Loops, Loops, Loops is my idea, guys. 

I've been toying with the loops idea myself. The only problem is how the spawn points and spawning in general work. You can't change the AoA of the respawn and your vehicle spawns in before your camera sync's up. I have a challenging race that goes under quite a few bridges and I designed it to where you had to make that decision then and now if your going under or above. But do to the way spawning works I've had to move a bunch of checkpoints to prevent people from crashing when they respawn.

livejoker
  • livejoker

Look Deep In My Eyes As I Touch You

• Van Society
  • None

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:29 PM Edited by livejoker, 29 March 2014 - 11:30 PM.

I think people don't do air races because they're a bit plane. When compared to vehicle races where your cargo so fast it's all blurry, aviation just doesn't compare. At least the air racers have a good altitude.

I'll be here all day.

who-dat
  • who-dat

Haha Bama sucks!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:32 PM Edited by who-dat, 29 March 2014 - 11:32 PM.

My crew and I race air races, however the only ones we play fly low to the ground.....reason being you're wondering? If you place checkpoints high in the air, racers do not have to go through the CP, they can simply use the mini-map to fly directly under the CP to get credit for it......

So R* needs to fix that...

LightningLord
  • LightningLord

Whatcha looking at?

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:21 AM

I'm sick of 10 planes flying through 1 small checkpoint at once and we all explode.

Johan
  • Johan

Free The Future

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Dominican-Republic
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA]

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:23 AM

I've been trying them solo for a long time and enjoyed them, only tried it with an actual group of people once and I enjoyed it.. mostly because I finished first but everyone behind me was dying every second (probably crashing on each other) perhaps that's why? Easy to rage quit?

reform
  • reform

Beaten, battered, bruised, Told to get down

• Members

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:38 AM

I think part of it is also that, avan though you can own the aircraft you use in the race, it never really feels like yours.

In land races, part of the appeal is in driving your own vehicle with the paint job and the visual style you wanted.

If we could customise aircraft (and watercraft for that matter) at least by changing the colours or adding a crew logo, that might make races that aren't land races more popular.

AfterDeath
  • AfterDeath

Homie

• Members

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:39 AM

Helicopters fly like ass in this game.. that's one reason

xXepicjasaXx
  • xXepicjasaXx

EPIC

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:54 AM

Can take a while to finish

People crash a lot and rage

senormidget
  • senormidget

Basic Bitch

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:27 PM

Every time I play them some idiot always crashes into the back of me blowing us both up, but somehow they always respawn ahead of me.

Alvarez
  • Alvarez

Boss

• Members

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

I would like to see unlockable clothing pieces, like pilot overall, aviator cap, helmet, civil aircraft pilot attire or pressure suit.
Maybe also unlockable decals appearing on the aircraft you fly.
And bonus miles.

Zwenkwiel
  • Zwenkwiel

Proud owner of several tin foil hats

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:34 AM

I don't like em

ramming is bad enough in car races add an extra dimension and the problem only gets worse

they're also pretty boring IMO

either i'm in first the entire race or I get rammed at the start and never catch up.

manicmechanic71
  • manicmechanic71

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:03 AM

Do you have to pay hospital bills if you crash?

wrappy
  • wrappy

Count Leopold Von Lichtenstein

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:35 PM

no on the hospital bills.  love to do anything in the planes.  air races are tough to find, anyone who's planning on hosting air races can add me(wrappy, ps3). I'll always join a plane race. 

elidc
  • elidc

• Members
  • China

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:36 PM

I'm sick of 10 planes flying through 1 small checkpoint at once and we all explode.

This

• LightningLord likes this

LuapYllier
  • LuapYllier

Driver

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:39 PM Edited by LuapYllier, 31 March 2014 - 12:55 PM.

Even though you can't have custom Planes/Choppers, I still think Air Races are quite fun.  There's some good tracks out there.  I've actually made a couple, and tried a few other people's tracks.  True you have to get used to the piloting controls, but that's the same with driving too.  A nice bonus Air races have over cars is that there's no slipstream.  At least none that I know of.  There's still a catchup feature, but that can be turned off.  I guess I feel this is just another underplayed part of GTAO, along with Golf,Tennis,Darts, and missions not named Rooftop Rumble.

Very simple answer. It isnt needed to unlock parts. It also is not an efficient way to make money or RP. Therefore, like the other jobs you mention, only the people who actually enjoy playing the game are playing those jobs. We are in the minority unfortunately.

LuapYllier
  • LuapYllier

Driver

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:47 PM

they should just make air races into obstacle races, like drive through this ring while doing a knife maneuver or flying upside down.

The flight school has those checkpoint types...they should 100% be available in creator and you lose time if you go through them wrong.
  • HirsuteDave likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users