Why aren't Air Races popular?

53 replies to this topic
Rammer2k
  • Rammer2k

All In!!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:54 PM

Even though you can't have custom Planes/Choppers, I still think Air Races are quite fun.  There's some good tracks out there.  I've actually made a couple, and tried a few other people's tracks.  True you have to get used to the piloting controls, but that's the same with driving too.  A nice bonus Air races have over cars is that there's no slipstream.  At least none that I know of.  There's still a catchup feature, but that can be turned off.  I guess I feel this is just another underplayed part of GTAO, along with Golf,Tennis,Darts, and missions not named Rooftop Rumble.

• Titania and JohnWeazel like this

Raylion
  • Raylion

Street Cat

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:58 PM Edited by Raylion, 29 March 2014 - 02:00 PM.

I think the problem is that there is no customisation so less incentive to play.  Boats and choppers/planes need a little love from R* I think.

Would be nice to get away from calling Pegasus and actually buying our own hanger/boat yard with customisation options for the vehicles.

• SirPhilMcKraken, Schweppez, Ermac and 7 others like this

Zorvaine
  • Zorvaine

Honor Among Thieves.

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:58 PM

I find them quite fun, especially the parts where there's people flying excessively close to each other and the tension is on. 

I'd like them to make it so there can be 16 players instead of 8 and also allowing us to use props in the creator. Since I know how to place props virtually anywhere I would make a special obstacle course..

Biohazard Abyss
  • Biohazard Abyss

SC Thread Avatar Comp Winner

• BUSTED!
  • Cuba
  • Best New Member 2013

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:58 PM

I only played one with lazers and it really wasn't fun.

muhmuhhuh
  • muhmuhhuh

Prankster

• Members

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:13 PM

I think the problem with air races is that you dont feel like you are actually doing anything. 

• RAS_ZeroZ likes this

BewareoftheBears
  • BewareoftheBears

BruinsVindicated

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:20 PM

Because their boring as f*ck, that's why.

Same could be said for boats.

PerceusSOZ
  • PerceusSOZ

gtaforumsmods.freeforums.net

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

I enjoy air races. #luxormasterrace

Polish_Trucker
  • Polish_Trucker

It's the Hoff, I've been on this beach since Baywatch

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:24 PM

The reason why no one plays them is because you can't pit other players + you can't have chrome planes with mini dollar sign wheels ;)

• hafftrak, iRage HD7, Captain Hammer and 2 others like this

Vehicles
  • Vehicles

Not much of an impression...

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:26 PM

Most people are just bad at flying,that's why air races are empty.
  • Schweppez, iRage HD7, Malibu454 and 1 other like this

WTFThisIsntWii
  • WTFThisIsntWii

Twerk Team

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:26 PM

It doesn't feel as competitive, the scenery is dull you are on the air so all tracks feel the same. You can't customise aircraft and there's no props or obstacles.

Whilst in car races you can see the competitiveness of the other racers, you can work towards upgrading your car, there's heaps of different tracks.

StewNorth
  • StewNorth

Let's do it all over again, again.

• Members
  • China

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:27 PM

I love air races, but yeah, not many people go for them.

Same for sea races, which are freaking awesome in my opinion.
  • iRage HD7 and SecludedMemory like this

dzian
  • dzian

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:28 PM Edited by dzian, 29 March 2014 - 02:33 PM.

I think the problem is that there is no customisation so less incentive to play.  Boats and choppers/planes need a little love from R* I think.

Would be nice to get away from calling Pegasus and actually buying our own hanger/boat yard with customisation options for the vehicles.

Incoming chrome buzzards and rhinos

Edit. Racing in general gets boring same as pvp. Theres no progression to it. Doesnt matter if ive won 50 races or 500 nothing ever changes and thus its a waste of time.

I3AZZAI2
  • I3AZZAI2

Row Row Fight The Powah!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:32 PM Edited by I3AZZAI2, 29 March 2014 - 02:35 PM.

I honestly just don't find them very enjoyable. Ones nice here or there to mix things up, but I really don't like playing them much. Boat races are fun though, especially since most people don't know you can just hold down a, the right trigger (xbox), and pull back on the left thumbstick to go flying. Even then, I'd much rather do a deathmatch or car race. Makes sense considering that the games bread n butter is driving cars and shooting.

• fw3 and psilocybonaut like this

Rammer2k
  • Rammer2k

All In!!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:34 PM

It doesn't feel as competitive, the scenery is dull you are on the air so all tracks feel the same. You can't customise aircraft and there's no props or obstacles.

Whilst in car races you can see the competitiveness of the other racers, you can work towards upgrading your car, there's heaps of different tracks.

By competitiveness, do yo mean everyone trying to play demolition derby, or just holding in RT for tracks like Long Haul?  I'll agree about buying, and customizing planes.  It'd at least give me something to spend my $$$ on since I already have my garage full, and apartment I like. 

Content Creator is still in beta so maybe(big maybe), Rockstar will have an update pack for that someday.

DrGreenThumb_NZ
  • DrGreenThumb_NZ

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:36 PM

Its to difficult for the lil degen kids the game caters for, you cant put max Armour on a plane

fw3
  • fw3

I SMELL FISH!

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:36 PM

I honestly just don't find them very enjoyable. Ones nice here or there to mix things up, but I really don't like playing them much. Boat races are fun though, especially since most people don't know you can just hold down a, the right trigger (xbox), and pull back on the left thumbstick to go flying. Even then, I'd much rather do a deathmatch or car race. Makes sense considering that the games bread n butter is driving cars and shooting.

Said better than I would have said it. 100% agree. ;)

Solid Scorpion
  • Solid Scorpion

FOXHOUND-SFG

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:49 PM

I think the main reason is lack of possible advantage.

In road races there's a chance your car might be more powerful than the rest, in DM there's a chance you might have more powerful weapons than the rest.

In air/boat races everyone's dealt the same hand and has access to identical hardware. 

You tend to find most players especially squeakers will only play modes that have "possible advantages".

Ie allot of people play games for the winning nowerdays, not for the journey or the variety. Hence you find some people will only play the same race/DM over and over.

• SiDiBooTs, reiniat, Ermac and 1 other like this

reiniat
  • reiniat

May science shine your way.

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:57 PM

How about all those races with complex turns around the city or the mountains, with section under bridges and between buildings?

I think the main reason is lack of possible advantage.

In road races there's a chance your car might be more powerful than the rest, in DM there's a chance you might have more powerful weapons than the rest.

In air/boat races everyone's dealt the same hand and has access to identical hardware. 

You tend to find most players especially squeakers will only play modes that have "possible advantages".

Ie allot of people play games for the winning nowerdays, not for the journey or the variety. Hence you find some people will only play the same race/DM over and over.

The sad thing about flying races is that the best airplane was the Luxor, and THAT WAS GREAT, as you need a lot of skill to fly a plane like that in a small planes race with tight curves.... Unfortunately the business update added the Vestra and all the fun went to hell....

THANK YOU R*!! for f*cking up the only game mode that didnt had n00b tubes!!!

WTFThisIsntWii
  • WTFThisIsntWii

Twerk Team

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:50 PM

By competitiveness, do yo mean everyone trying to play demolition derby, or just holding in RT for tracks like Long Haul?  I'll agree about buying, and customizing planes.  It'd at least give me something to spend my $$$ on since I already have my garage full, and apartment I like. 

Content Creator is still in beta so maybe(big maybe), Rockstar will have an update pack for that someday.

Compared to land races assuming your in a good crew who race clean. You can see the car right next to you while the road flashes below you. You know the finish line is coming up soon and you have to take each corner perfectly and navigate flawlessly around the obstacles in order to gain an advantage over your fellow racer. As well as the continous overtakes and cutting in during turns. While in air races it doesn't feel as speedy or competitive. But I've only played the basic Rockstar created ones a few times.

Strange Town
  • Strange Town

Looking at you, Mission/Heist failing Randoms

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:38 PM

Because they can't PIT you

Kachii
  • Kachii

This isn't even my final form

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:43 PM

they should just make air races into obstacle races, like drive through this ring while doing a knife maneuver or flying upside down.

Sir Michael
  • Sir Michael

Fist Of The North Rawr

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:44 PM

Because people can't fly to save their lives...

• Malibu454 likes this

DeezyGaming
  • DeezyGaming

Trick

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:47 PM

Because freeroam is the place to be rather than exploring what gtao has to offer. Not me though I'll play anything races/missions/tdm etc.

SingingEwe954
  • SingingEwe954

Jack of All Trades

• Members
  • Turkmenistan
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:48 PM

They suck

Schweppez
  • Schweppez

just some nut

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:00 PM Edited by Schweppez, 29 March 2014 - 07:00 PM.

I like racing with the propeller planes only.   There's more maneuverability on the small ones & they just sound so cool.  I wish the Duster could be mounted with machine guns.  Dogfights would be so much fun without that rocket auto-locking easy crap.

• Raylion, Malibu454 and HirsuteDave like this

Sudoow86
  • Sudoow86

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:02 PM

I like to do some air races from time to time but my lack of flying skill doesn't help. 

Raylion
  • Raylion

Street Cat

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:03 PM

I like racing with the propeller planes only.   There's more maneuverability on the small ones & they just sound so cool.  I wish the Duster could be mounted with machine guns.  Dogfights would be so much fun without that rocket auto-locking easy crap.

I would love machine gun dog fights in Dusters...Fighters and attack choppers are good but a slow prop plane with a machine gun is fun times!

JohnWeazel
  • JohnWeazel

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:05 PM Edited by JayWeazel, 29 March 2014 - 07:05 PM.

Because there's no way for scrubs to ram into you (like they would do in regular races) without exploding.

Malibu454
  • Malibu454

Bite Me..

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:37 PM

Most people are just bad at flying,that's why air races are empty.

This ^^

Same with boat races.

Vec
  • Vec

That tough guy act is ridiculous! >:U

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:57 PM

If I remember correctly, there's nothing to unlock with air/sea races unlike car races where you can unlock mods to improve your cars. So maybe people don't find much motivation to play them

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users