Photo

GTA: The Wanted System Comparison...

34 replies to this topic
Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:02 AM

I think one big problem with the wanted system in V as well is the spawning at police stations.

I'm not sure about other people, but the LS map is sometimes confusing to the point where I still don't know where the police stations are after 6 months. So basically you can drive straight up to a cop station without them being displayed on your map, then next second you've got 10+ cops spawning and shooting you to sh*t.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Tainted

• Antarctica

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:06 PM Edited by SonOfLiberty, 28 March 2014 - 01:29 PM.

I feel the system's really improved, cops actually can't see you if you're hiding behind a little hill.. their line of sight is a lot better. IDK about you guys but I feel it's pretty easy escaping police in V for the most part.

Agreed. I feel that GTA IV had the worst wanted level system in the entire series since they had x-ray vision and the game was scripted so you could not escape a 3+ star wanted level with a helicopter, I think it is extremely hypocritical that a lot of GTA IV fans complain about the cops in GTA V being too hard while the cops in GTA IV had the problems I just mentioned.
I know your GTA V bias is pretty bad, but this takes the cake. So GTA IV's system is the worst because of x-ray vision? Yeah because I mean the 3D era cops were just so smart that they couldn't see through walls lol.GTA V isn't much better buddy ole pal. I've had times where I've hidden behind walls and they still know where I am. One time I was on a roof with Franklin and the cops searching the street below just "knew" I was on the roof. I admit it's better in ways, but it's still pretty f*cked. The ridiculous rubberbanding and the sense to still hear a suppressed gun shot out in the country with no one around can't be ignored.Please take off your rose tinted glasses and accept it's still flawed. Also you're not doing yourself any favours calling people hypocrites when you're being one yourself.
I don't think it's fair that you accuse me of having a bad GTA V bias when you and other GTA IV fans have a horrible GTA IV bias, I don't want to start any serious arguments but things seem to be heading that way.
GTA IV's wanted system isn't just the worse because of x-ray vision but also for the fact that the game was scripted so you couldn't escape a 3+ star wanted level with a helicopter.
I don't know why your having problems because I can hide behind walls and not get busted and less than an hour ago, I shot a guy at the Grapeseed airstrip (which is near a road) and didn't get a wanted level l.
Lastly, can you please provide an example of when I have been hypocritical?
Mate I might be biased, but I don't go around in threads calling GTA V fans hypocrites in general and then playing the victim card. You say it's not "fair" for me calling you biased yet was it fair you to label GTA IV fans like you did? Especially when the OP wasn't just talking about GTA IV.

Anyway just because you don't experience any issues doesn't mean they don't exist. I've hidden behind walls and they've been able to see right through it and other times being out in the country, shooting someone with no one else around and still have recieved a wanted level.

I do like the emphasis on hiding, but for me it's a step in one direction and a step back in another.

GTA IV's system may not have been all that great, but at least cop cars don't get a hit of nitrous and magically catch sports/supercars in a chase like they're standing still and well they have the intelligence to actually arrest npcs rather than shoot them for the hell of it.

Both have their pros and cons really.

Ermac.
  • Ermac.

Out of Commission

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:36 PM

I feel the system's really improved, cops actually can't see you if you're hiding behind a little hill.. their line of sight is a lot better. IDK about you guys but I feel it's pretty easy escaping police in V for the most part.

Agreed. I feel that GTA IV had the worst wanted level system in the entire series since they had x-ray vision and the game was scripted so you could not escape a 3+ star wanted level with a helicopter, I think it is extremely hypocritical that a lot of GTA IV fans complain about the cops in GTA V being too hard while the cops in GTA IV had the problems I just mentioned.
I know your GTA V bias is pretty bad, but this takes the cake. So GTA IV's system is the worst because of x-ray vision? Yeah because I mean the 3D era cops were just so smart that they couldn't see through walls lol.GTA V isn't much better buddy ole pal. I've had times where I've hidden behind walls and they still know where I am. One time I was on a roof with Franklin and the cops searching the street below just "knew" I was on the roof. I admit it's better in ways, but it's still pretty f*cked. The ridiculous rubberbanding and the sense to still hear a suppressed gun shot out in the country with no one around can't be ignored.Please take off your rose tinted glasses and accept it's still flawed. Also you're not doing yourself any favours calling people hypocrites when you're being one yourself.
I don't think it's fair that you accuse me of having a bad GTA V bias when you and other GTA IV fans have a horrible GTA IV bias, I don't want to start any serious arguments but things seem to be heading that way.
GTA IV's wanted system isn't just the worse because of x-ray vision but also for the fact that the game was scripted so you couldn't escape a 3+ star wanted level with a helicopter.

You don't just have a V bias, you're obviously a IV hater despite how you've claimed "I like IV as its own game, but it's a crap GTA game". And i'm not just saying that because you don't like the game, (there's nothing wrong with that at all) it's because you literally take digs at it in any and all conversations (that is if you're not already going on about how gameplay is number one or whatever) and call it the worst at everything. That isn't criticism, that's just straight up hate.

As for the bolded part, wouldn't that make San Andreas's the worst because you can't do that either unless you collect police bribes (which are often placed in awkward areas mind you)? Or are you just leaving that out because you feel that calling IV the worst in anything makes V look better? Have you forgotten how frequently road blocks with armed officers spawned in the 3D Era, or how the cops were literally everywhere when you were on foot? What about the fact that the police helicopters could phase through buildings as well (except for SA)? How could we forget that the police in V are scripted to ram you in the rear regardless of what vehicle you're driving or how fast you're going?

Frankly, this is just like how you said IV's storyline was the least crime related in the series. Downplaying something to bolster another thing doesn't work, it only makes your point hold less weight. In this case it doesn't hold any weight at all (again) because it simply isn't true. IV's wanted system wasn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but saying it was the worst in the series is downright ludicrous. It's akin to me saying "oh man, the parachuting in V is the worst in the series because I can't detach from it in mid air and survive the fall" or "the health system in V is the worst because the food vendors don't work".

• SonOfLiberty and Drunken Cowboy like this

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

You're all a bunch of ungrateful children

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:25 AM

You don't just have a V bias, you're obviously a IV hater despite how you've claimed "I like IV as its own game, but it's a crap GTA game". And i'm not just saying that because you don't like the game, (there's nothing wrong with that at all) it's because you literally take digs at it in any and all conversations (that is if you're not already going on about how gameplay is number one or whatever) and call it the worst at everything. That isn't criticism, that's just straight up hate.

As for the bolded part, wouldn't that make San Andreas's the worst because you can't do that either unless you collect police bribes (which are often placed in awkward areas mind you)? Or are you just leaving that out because you feel that calling IV the worst in anything makes V look better? Have you forgotten how frequently road blocks with armed officers spawned in the 3D Era, or how the cops were literally everywhere when you were on foot? What about the fact that the police helicopters could phase through buildings as well (except for SA)? How could we forget that the police in V are scripted to ram you in the rear regardless of what vehicle you're driving or how fast you're going?

Frankly, this is just like how you said IV's storyline was the least crime related in the series. Downplaying something to bolster another thing doesn't work, it only makes your point hold less weight. In this case it doesn't hold any weight at all (again) because it simply isn't true. IV's wanted system wasn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but saying it was the worst in the series is downright ludicrous. It's akin to me saying "oh man, the parachuting in V is the worst in the series because I can't detach from it in mid air and survive the fall" or "the health system in V is the worst because the food vendors don't work".

Firstly, I am not a hater, the things I say about GTA IV is criticism because I give it a valid explanation, if I just said that it sucked and left it at that then it would be hate, but I don't.

Secondly, I have not legitimately played GTA San Andreas in a long, long time, just messed around with mods, but I don't remember police bribes being a necessity to escape the cops, nor to I remember police helicopters phasing through buildings (but I makes sense that it would have happened since the police helicopters in GTA III and GTA Vice City were not solid) but even that is not as bad as making cops simply inescapable in a helicopter.

Lastly, what system is the best and worst is subjective, I personally think that it is the worst because I've the reasons I've mentioned countless times, but it's fact that the cops have x-ray vision and it is impossible to escape a 3+ star wanted level using a helicopter.

And also, I would like to say this entire argument is ridiculous, you GTA IV fans say all the sh*t in the world about GTA V and I just leave it and say it's their opinion although I disagree, but when I say something about GTA IV:

44705_0e1cef4239f269c831ae3c6df531b8cb.jc

I've tried to be civil and will continue to try but I don't know how much longer it's going to last.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

TOO HAWNEE TO FIGHT CRIME!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:25 PM Edited by Drunken Cowboy, 01 April 2014 - 09:29 PM.

None of them really hit it...
You couldn't really escape anyone in the 3D games without those little stars in the alley ways that inexplicably knocked down police efforts...
GTA 4 was my favorite, but still flawed. Escaping the circle on the early stars was nice if you just needed to book after accidentally rear-ending a copper... but it became too easy for 1-3 stars, and too hard for 4-6
GTA 5 is more a sidegrade of benefits and problens as opposed to an improvement over 4. Cops still know basically where you are at all times annoyingly enough... they still find you and spawn near you if you kill a hiker with a silenced weapon in the wilderness... field of vision was interesting, but the fact they for some reason ALWAYS know to loom in the area if you, say, turn into an alley afte rounding a corner, they should keep going instead of activating their Spidey senses.
I think we need to look at some outside games.
Red Dead Redemption... It's hard to compare without large, formal law enforcement in the wild west, but when you did crimes, you built up a bounty. (Criminal reputation in GTA?) The higher the bounty, the tougher law possies would go after you. You could lose the law temporarily, but they would always "track you down" time to time if you had not paid off your bounty.

Mafia II... A great answer to the "disappearing from police memory" phenomenon. If you got into trouble, your clothes would become "wanted". You could escape the law pretty easily, but you would trigger a building supiscion level if they saw you in your wanted clothes. With all the clothing stores and masks and GTA V, that would have been easy to impliment. Also, crimes committed in a car or if you were wanted and seen getting into a car, it would also become marked. You could remove it by respraying your car or changing the plates, much like the previous GTAs.
It was a good system, easy enough not to become a pain in the ass, immersive and real enough to not seem stupid. Also, one stars could be gotten rid of by paying a cheap ticket, since it was usually given for reckless driving or something. Two stars was given for something like manslaughter. You could accept the arrest and lose your guns, or pay a hefty bribe to the cops to lose your level. That way, rear-ending a cop could be taken care of quicjly and easily if you didn't want to get in a chase. With V's cops, you'll usually be forced to kill a couple of them in a one or two star chase, making your situation worse.

The Saboteur... Criminal acts caused "suspiscion." If you were seen in a Nazi controled zone for too long, doing something illegal like carrying a gun or jacking a car, your suspiscion meter would quickly increase. Shooting guns and such would fill it instantly. Only when the meter filled AND you were seen would the Nazis (police equivelent) persue you. If you did something suspiscious and no lawn enforcement saw you, like shoot a gun in the middle of the woods, it would create a circle of suspiscion on the map. Only if law enforcement saw you idling in that circle for a few seconds would they come after you. But they'd mistake you for an innocent bystander if you fleed the circle in faked terror.

Also, Saint's Row 3 had a nice feature. There were police wanted stars, but also gang wanted stars (that didn't go quite as high as law enforcement.)
If slaughtering everyone at the Merryweather docks or on Grove Street had more immersive reprocutions, that woulda' been cool.

Some combination of all of those would be very functional, believable, and cool in a GTA game... Until then, I'll be killing the mind-readers who have NO2 in their Crown Vics.
  • B Dawg and Ermac. like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users