Is Rockstar still good?

51 replies to this topic
Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:34 PM

GTA IV and Midnight Club LA are R*'s first "proper" PS3/360 games, this was when Rockstar properly focused and tried to use the new consoles to their advantage. To be honest, GTA IV and MCLA are the best two games ever, hands down. Both took something completely new to the table. GTA IV had awesome driving mechanics in an open world sandbox, for the first time ever, along with awesome MP modes. MCLA had amazing car customisation, along with an awesomely designed multiplayer.

Both of those games lasted me waaay longer than any of R*'s newer stuff like GTAV and RDR.

I'm wondering how the hell did RDR even last for you, there's no cars in that game.

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:41 PM

GTA IV and Midnight Club LA are R*'s first "proper" PS3/360 games, this was when Rockstar properly focused and tried to use the new consoles to their advantage. To be honest, GTA IV and MCLA are the best two games ever, hands down. Both took something completely new to the table. GTA IV had awesome driving mechanics in an open world sandbox, for the first time ever, along with awesome MP modes. MCLA had amazing car customisation, along with an awesomely designed multiplayer.

Both of those games lasted me waaay longer than any of R*'s newer stuff like GTAV and RDR.

I'm wondering how the hell did RDR even last for you, there's no cars in that game.

No cars at all is better than cars that handle like go-karts. That way, the immersion isn't ruined and I don't feel insulted every time I use a vehicle.

RDR is fun for a playthrough but I couldn't get into the multiplayer, so there wasn't any long-lasting appeal imo.
  • Sting4S likes this

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

The fall is FAST and STEEP

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:55 PM

Really? I thought RDR had the best multiplayer from a Rockstar game.

Waldie
  • Waldie

Dickensian Mockney

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:02 PM Edited by Waldie, 27 March 2014 - 05:03 PM.

Ultimately, yes, I think they are still good. Very good. They continue to deliver amazing games with the amount of care and effort that puts many other developers to shame. Also their Liberty City episodes and Undead Nightmare are hands-down the best DLC / expansions ever.

That said, things like pre-order and limited / special edtion only ingame content and microtransactions for online are a cause for concern. I just hope they can resist the money grabbing dark side of the games industry.

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:55 PM

Yes, I think North and San Diego are some of the best developers out there. Every one of their games, in my opinion, gets better and better.

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:59 PM

In my opinion, that award goes to IV's and MCLA's multiplayer.

IV had some awesome game modes, as well as awesome moments in free-mode.
MCLA's free mode is awesome too, everything joined up perfectly. You could go from freemode, to an event e.g. race or capture the flag, happening INSIDE that freemode. The customisation kept me playing for ages, recreating so many cars.

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:54 PM

In my opinion, that award goes to IV's and MCLA's multiplayer.

IV had some awesome game modes, as well as awesome moments in free-mode.
MCLA's free mode is awesome too, everything joined up perfectly. You could go from freemode, to an event e.g. race or capture the flag, happening INSIDE that freemode. The customisation kept me playing for ages, recreating so many cars.

GTA IV online was fun as hell. Loved the wars for the annihilators in the airport. :lol:
  • Sting4S likes this

Killerdude8
  • Killerdude8

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:00 PM

Yeah, I'd say they're still good, They are one of the best in the current day, But i fear they'll slowly turn over to the sh*tty side, Who knows, Only time will tell.

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

Homie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:39 PM

It's not because a gaming company made a game with some flaws that it's not good anymore. Look at Nintendo...

• Th3MaN1 likes this

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:16 AM

Rockstar's still good. They just got off track with Max Payne 3 and Grand Theft Auto V. 

I can understand Max Payne 3 focusing more on Online seeing its a linear action game. 

Grand Theft Auto V however should of been more focus on Single Player. 

There's a reason many call Red Dead Redemption and Grand Theft Auto IV the best Rockstar game this gen. That's for its great Single Player. Really well developed. 

Flynny
  • Flynny

Where is Jessica Hyde?

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Chad

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:41 AM

In terms of quality of their products they are one of the best of the industry. In my opinion GTA V was their best game this gen, then IV then RDR. Each of these 3 games though have been a massive crowning glory. GTA IV was imense when it released, for the time it came out, 2008, it was immense. and the story was amazing, long but no fat to be trimmed, unlike SA's story. Then we had RDR, imo not as good as IV but that's just an opinion. That jsut had so many things in the game, so much to do and see it really was something else. Then GTA V. GTA V is the pinnacle of gaming up ther with Skyrim in my opinion as what perfect games should be.

However R* suck at online, they have been getting progressively worse. GTA IV had crashes on the first few weeks, level resets then eveything was hunky dory. We all know about the GTA V crashes but I am not talking about them, the design decisions they made with RDR online and GTA Online were just horrible. They push this idea of crews but you can't add friends to a game you are not hosting, also no posse system like RDR so friends can follow you into games, But sometimes it just sends invites out to everyone on your friends list, no way to control it as far as I could see. Stupid convoluted way of muting people, should be in the phone, not pause. Quite a few poor design decisions with GTA Online, RDR Online had a few too, and also reset the levels of anyone who patched their game past a certain date which is F*CKING RETARDED! 

R* have got steadily worse at online, probably trying too hard, it was close to perfect in IV, the only issues were trolls, griefers and hackers, but with a bigger map they were not gonna be much of a problem in free roam. 

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:30 PM

Rockstar's still good. They just got off track with Max Payne 3 and Grand Theft Auto V. 

I can understand Max Payne 3 focusing more on Online seeing its a linear action game. 

Grand Theft Auto V however should of been more focus on Single Player. 

There's a reason many call Red Dead Redemption and Grand Theft Auto IV the best Rockstar game this gen. That's for its great Single Player. Really well developed. 

No the problem with V was online was too ambitious, and the story was mediocre. The online caused the plan to backfire at them. It's why they are constantly updating it now so they can improve it and fix problems. But the gameplay had to be the best I've ever seen in a game, much better than IV's and RDR's gameplay. Every game has flaws including RDR and IV, no game is perfect.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:20 AM

I'm not gonna lie, they've lost their charm. That's all I'm going to say...

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:28 PM

Long story short: No.

I haven't been dissapointed by a single game this generation by R*. They've made every game ambitious or unique in some way.

And considering free DLC's, I fail to see how they've become greedy.

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Public Enemy #1

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:02 PM

I haven't been dissapointed by a single game this generation by R*. They've made every game ambitious or unique in some way.

I'm confused. You answered the topic question with "No", which would mean R* isn't still good.

Then you went on to praise them with the rest of your comment.

Did you mean "Yes"?

• The Odyssey likes this

Frantz Fuchs
  • Frantz Fuchs

640509-040147

• Members

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:37 PM

So R* aren't good because you're not disappointed by their games?

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

You're all a bunch of ungrateful children

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:41 PM Edited by CantThinkOfOne2013, 02 April 2014 - 09:49 PM.

This, they say that they are greedy because of OPTIONAL cash cards, but those optional cash cards are the reason we free DLC, but what is worse is that GTA V haters who claim that Rockstar is greedy are the same kind of people who praise MGS4 as the best thing since sliced bread (see here for why that is bad, I'm not going to into detail here).

I'm confused. You answered the topic question with "No", which would mean R* isn't still good.

Then you went on to praise them with the rest of your comment.

Did you mean "Yes"?

He has probably seen so many hater thread's that he is used to using the world 'no'.

godforgivesthelostdont
  • godforgivesthelostdont

Prankster

• Members

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:26 AM

Rockstar has always been great and still is.

But people need to have realistic expectations.

• Th3MaN1 likes this

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:13 PM

This is one of the reasons people hate V. Because it was Rockstar and it was GTA, people expected it to deliver on every aspect. Well Boo Hoo.

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:12 PM

This is one of the reasons people hate V. Because it was Rockstar and it was GTA, people expected it to deliver on every aspect. Well Boo Hoo.

Maybe people expected a Single Player focus game? Well it turns out GTA V was made for GTA Online in mind. 

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Public Enemy #1

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:27 PM Edited by TheMasterfocker, 03 April 2014 - 11:28 PM.

Maybe people expected a Single Player focus game? Well it turns out GTA V was made for GTA Online in mind. 

This argument still makes little sense and is still based off of almost nothing.

I've debunked it at least 5 times, I dunno why people keep saying it.

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:36 PM

All the dummies expected San Andreas 2.0. I'm glad that wasnt the case.
  • TheMasterfocker and FranklinDeRoosevelt like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users