Is Rockstar still good?

51 replies to this topic
universetwisters
  • universetwisters

VOLKSWAFFEN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:44 PM

So I was posting in another thread about Rockstar, but seeing as the original thread shouldn't get derailed, I'm going to post it here = is Rockstar still good?

Think about it. Sure, Rockstar gave us the super swell GTA series and in all it's goodness, but after about 15 years or so of existing, is Rockstar still the same as it was before? I personally like Rockstar's "millennium" stuff such as GTA 3, GTA Vice City, and Midnight Club 1. Looking back on it, Rockstar seems much more "humble" back then as a whole. I can't recall them going through any crazy big marketing stuff to promote their games, but now it seems like they jump through oodles of hoops, like with GTA 5 for example, with all the building ads, giveaways, and preorder bonuses. But still, that's my take on things. Rockstar's still a good company and all, don't get me wrong. I'm still a fan of GTA just as I was back then. I'm still rooting for Rockstar all the way, but are they the same Rockstar we all knew and love, or are they turning into the corporate machine of game companies?

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:57 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 26 March 2014 - 09:59 PM.

i might just simply say YES,YES...Afterall they gave the world the Phenomenal Franchise which is GTA (1997-Present),and then there is Red Dead (2004-Present) the best Openworld Western Game Franchise and the Greatest Shooter Max Payne (2001-Present).So YES Rockstar are still good :)

Myron
  • Myron

I shot Reagan

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:00 PM

A corporation does what a corporation does. I can't say I'm surprised that they will do corporationy things. Having said that, they're still spades ahead of most other game companies in fairness. As far as I'm aware, there's none of the usual bullsh*t modern companies pull, like microtransactions and unclockable on disc DLC.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

VOLKSWAFFEN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:08 PM

A corporation does what a corporation does. I can't say I'm surprised that they will do corporationy things. Having said that, they're still spades ahead of most other game companies in fairness. As far as I'm aware, there's none of the usual bullsh*t modern companies pull, like microtransactions and unclockable on disc DLC.

It just might be that I'm surprised that they do the corporationy things. Like pre-IV, they seemed to be like a regular game company, only they didn't make themselves as prominent as much as they ought to have been considering the popularity of their games. Now, they're soaking up the light. While it may not be a bad thing, it seems to have affected the games they make, or at least the content of them. But who knows, it's probably like a culture shock on my end.

Myron
  • Myron

I shot Reagan

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:17 PM

It just might be that I'm surprised that they do the corporationy things. Like pre-IV, they seemed to be like a regular game company, only they didn't make themselves as prominent as much as they ought to have been considering the popularity of their games. Now, they're soaking up the light. While it may not be a bad thing, it seems to have affected the games they make, or at least the content of them. But who knows, it's probably like a culture shock on my end.

I agree with you, I was surprised that Rockstar did the exclusive release and DLC thing with Microsoft for GTA IV. Yeah, I don't think they're immune, nobody is. I can still respect that they've largely kept some sense of integrity though.

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:18 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 26 March 2014 - 10:20 PM.

GTA is the 5th Biggest Game Franchise of All Time as of 2014 with 157ml units sold worldwide since it inception in 1997 and over $10bn worth in revenue (although that separate from Take2's revenue) i am sure if they (God Forbid) were to sell the GTA IP it will be "THE MOST EXPENSIVE DEAL EVER" and after V's $1bn in 72hrs (3 days) i think Rockstar got a little bit over excited and are still reflecting over it and at the same time being SO Proud,hence even Sam Houser and Dan Houser showed up at this year BAFTA after 9-10 years of being reclusive (and maybe they will also show up at E3),So i dont think they are doing like Typical Corporations (E.A and Activision).

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

100% Natural awesomeness in every post.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:23 PM

Yes. They're able to maintain great stories, great memorable characters, vast open worlds with great graphics and scenery.

Red Dead Redemption has one of the most beautiful worlds of this gen, riding your horse into the sunset just feels so amazing. Seeing the buffaloes running on the plains to catching a Unicorn that leaves a trail of rainbows and butterflies.

Max Payne 3, just a straight up bloodbath of an action game. Reminds me of the movie Shoot 'em Up. It has great graphics, the best looking Rockstar game IMO. It follows a very simple and common kidnapping storyline that we've seen in movies, but it does it well. It has a good art style aswell, a very dark look, but I think it looks great with the type of game it is. It feels so fluid with the shooting mechanics, going into bullet mode, or diving into a a room of baddies and leaving the room with an empty clip and all the bad guys with holes in their heads.

GTA IV, I think this was a test of their open world mechanics on a new generation of consoles. They tried to keep it simple. It has a great story line filled with pain for the protagonist,and it had a really dark and gritty color to it.

Now, the behemoth, Grand Theft Auto V. Their biggest game yet, and my favorite. Tons of details, a massive map, and loads of peds doing different activities to make the city feel alive. Nods to the veteran fans with UFOs, Bigfoot, and Epsilon. Again, great graphics for a massive open world game.

Rockstar have managed to be one of the few devs with consistency in the quality of their titles. And in my opinion they've gotten better, I prefer their new gen of games over the last gen.
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

VOLKSWAFFEN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:27 PM

I agree with you, I was surprised that Rockstar did the exclusive release and DLC thing with Microsoft for GTA IV. Yeah, I don't think they're immune, nobody is. I can still respect that they've largely kept some sense of integrity though.

I can kinda let the DLC one slide, seeing as it's like a whole new game, but it wouldn't seem right to cherrypick what you like and dont like

hornedturtle
  • hornedturtle

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:31 PM

there on par with platnium and blizzard (before blizzard turned to sh*t with activision)

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Go Big Blue!

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:54 PM

I'd say yes, because GTA is objectively still one of the better games made nowadays.

Johan
  • Johan

• The Yardies
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:10 AM

They're okay, not as strong as they were back in the last decade right up to RDR but still at a better pace than other companies out there.

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

You're all a bunch of ungrateful children

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:26 AM

Yes, they are one of the few companies that are not greedy and they were brave enough to make GTA V a gameplay focused game.

M210F
  • M210F

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:50 AM

The only Rockstar games I've played have been RDR, GTAIV, LA Noire and GTAV (in that order), even if LA Noire isn't *technically* a rockstar game. RDR is going to go down as one of the greatest video games of all time- alongside games like Half Life or Ocarina of Time. GTAIV, V and LA Noire felt like huge-budget "look at what we can do" type things instead of games, though. LA Noire was exclusively focused around the missions with not much else as a demonstration of the facial recognition technology; IV and V tried too hard to be revolutionary (think of how friendship was billed to be amazing and how detailed the world was... then think of the controls. And of course GTA:O's character creation.)

I'm not going to immediately put Rockstar into the pit of soulless monsters because of GTAV, regardless of however disappointed I may be in how they handled matters like sharkcards and trying too hard to be something they're not in online. If, however, they turn the next RDR or Agent (if it ever comes out) into a microtransaction nightmare I'm going to give up hope.

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:05 AM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 27 March 2014 - 03:10 AM.

@M210F
Yeah they didnt develop L.A Noire but they published it and also assisted,plus they own the IP rights so they could do anything with it.IV was the first HD GTA and it changed HD Openworld Games plus the graphics were great for it time and the gameplay mechanics are innovative (although i wont start to argue and btw my favourite GTA game/Rockstar's game this gen is V).

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Tainted

• Antarctica

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:26 AM Edited by SonOfLiberty, 27 March 2014 - 03:26 AM.

I've been a fan of R* since 1998 and they're just as good now as they were back then. RD(Redemption) and GTA IV are better games than anything they made last gen IMO.

*Flame suit on*

tali vas Normandy
  • tali vas Normandy

Like for Space Hamster

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:59 AM

^ I agree RDR was a Masterpiece and my all time favorite R* game ever.
I know just playing max payne 3 and I love this sh*t as well ♥.

I had a lot of companies that I loved but now think is sh*t but R* is NOT one of them.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Zaibatsu
  • Japan

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:16 AM

I don't know, I rate them more as lawful neutral. They follow the rules, but don't have motives that are morally good or bad, so they stay neutral.

Now, in regarding to their games; yes, they continue to be well executed and surpass the previous installment every time in many aspects. Do I still enjoy them as much as before? Not so much. I do like the driving in them. Nothing like driving through big cities. But I prefer they started doing more stuff a la RDR, meaning move away a bit from the classic GTA story and do something different.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:53 AM

I won't go into super extreme detail to save you all from walls of text but in my eyes Rockstar hasn't delivered a truely decent game this generation.

In some way or another there have been a high number of very very bad problems with the games on 360/PS3. Problems so bad that it makes me never want to play those games ever again.

All their old stuff was amazing. Now it is lacking in so many aspects, and ease of gameplay always seems last in their list of important things to focus on.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Is the sky f*cking blue?

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:56 AM

Yes, they are one of the few companies that are not greedy and they were brave enough to make GTA V a gameplay focused game.

Yes gameplay focused with dumbed down gameplay mechanics. That makes so much damn sense.

• Daz, Lazyboy. and M210F like this

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:41 AM

Yes gameplay focused with dumbed down gameplay mechanics. That makes so much damn sense.

Personal opinions dude.

• B Dawg likes this

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:04 AM

You're forgetting one thing again. There are many studios united under R* Games, but they are totally different companies. Rockstar San Diego (creators of MC series and RDR series are located in San Diego) and Rockstar North (creators of GTA are located in Scotland) are totally separated companies. Sure they are helping each other, sharing their ideas and stuff, but you can't say they are one. 

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

Big Homie

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:27 AM

Even though I didn't like GTA V, that doesn't make Rockstar a bad company. Every developer makes bad games at some point. Not to mention Rockstar's still one of the better companies out there that don't try to milk their fans, even with the micro transactions in GTA Online, they're much better than Activision and Capcom, they still don't use online passes or put day 1 DLC onto their game, nor do they release a GTA every year to milk the series like Activision does with Call of Duty.

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:33 AM

To add my opinion, they were, and still are good. Sure, they had to get on with the times, and I honestly think this is the reason of the half-assed (yet free, no right to complain) DLC's, along with the microtransactions. But their games show solid work.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:33 PM

(yet free, no right to complain) DLC's

They are that way for a reason, to get you to buy GTA Dollars. It is a scam. Just like why they give dlc then remove it. To make it feel exclusive and a limited time offer for you to buy things.

The sheer cheek of them to offer "half price on all black colored clothing and paint" was f*cking laughable. A sale, in a game that our content should be f*cking free anyway.

They have cleverly figured out a way to not only sell our own game back to us, but how to limit what we can own at one time forcing us to constantly buy and sell.

It all depends on what you care about with the game, but I have to feel somewhat scammed when the only damn thing I want to do in the game is drive my modded vehicles and f*ck around. I feel like I am paying a god damn penalty every time I want to do that.

Despite how good the game looks, runs and feels to play when it plays right, and despite some parts of it being really good. It is an awful as f*ck system designed to f*ck you over for their own gain. If there was no microtransactions do you really f*cking think they would waste valuable development time creating pointless as f*ck DLC packs, and more importantly do you really think they would give two f*cks about if you glitch 130K every 48 minutes. It is none of their concern. But as soon as money is involved, they care.

Anyway, my point is they are ALL about the money. How much did they make in 24 hours? Yeah, more money than anyone will have in their lifetime. They easily have the funding to fix things, buy servers, get dlc out there. But they still want more and more.

I strongly dislike their attitude to games on this current generation.

Rockstar used to be about doing what nobody else wanted to do, making those amazing games that any other developer and publisher would shy away from. Having games that were always pure quality and fun, never f*cking you over, always about the gameplay and a good story. I feel they can't do either anymore.

About the only thing good about Rockstar games this gen is the engine and physics. That is all. Everything has become so modernized and cliché that it makes me sick.

I am sick of talking about them and their mess that they call games.

• Gilligan likes this

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:56 PM

While you are right, most of all the micro-transactions depend on the person. Sure, they want your money. ALL of it, and they shout that into your face. But in the end, it's you who decides if you want to give your money to them or not. They've grown in people, and their hunger for money as well, and all the sales of GTA V just fueled them for the $ even more. At least you buy GTA money with real money, and that's a currency you can pretty much get free in the game (through it takes ages), unlike other bullsh*t Free-2-Play games where there's the peasant money and the gold money and sh*t.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:09 PM

There is a reason why they are trying to make as much money as they can. Rockstar make quality games, and they spend a lot of money making big games like GTA V. The money is needed for future games and they need to use it for paying wages as well as improving their engines and stuff.

You aren't looking at the bigger picture here.

SolidSnails
  • SolidSnails

Homie

• Special Members

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:12 PM

(yet free, no right to complain) DLC's

They are that way for a reason, to get you to buy GTA Dollars. It is a scam. Just like why they give dlc then remove it. To make it feel exclusive and a limited time offer for you to buy things.

The sheer cheek of them to offer "half price on all black colored clothing and paint" was f*cking laughable. A sale, in a game that our content should be f*cking free anyway.

They have cleverly figured out a way to not only sell our own game back to us, but how to limit what we can own at one time forcing us to constantly buy and sell.

It all depends on what you care about with the game, but I have to feel somewhat scammed when the only damn thing I want to do in the game is drive my modded vehicles and f*ck around. I feel like I am paying a god damn penalty every time I want to do that.

Despite how good the game looks, runs and feels to play when it plays right, and despite some parts of it being really good. It is an awful as f*ck system designed to f*ck you over for their own gain. If there was no microtransactions do you really f*cking think they would waste valuable development time creating pointless as f*ck DLC packs, and more importantly do you really think they would give two f*cks about if you glitch 130K every 48 minutes. It is none of their concern. But as soon as money is involved, they care.

Anyway, my point is they are ALL about the money. How much did they make in 24 hours? Yeah, more money than anyone will have in their lifetime. They easily have the funding to fix things, buy servers, get dlc out there. But they still want more and more.

I strongly dislike their attitude to games on this current generation.

Rockstar used to be about doing what nobody else wanted to do, making those amazing games that any other developer and publisher would shy away from. Having games that were always pure quality and fun, never f*cking you over, always about the gameplay and a good story. I feel they can't do either anymore.

About the only thing good about Rockstar games this gen is the engine and physics. That is all. Everything has become so modernized and cliché that it makes me sick.

I am sick of talking about them and their mess that they call games.
then leave the forums one less person i have to read about crying and complaning im sorry u feel scammed over free things

LilMcJohn
  • LilMcJohn

Leaf's Yellow Flash

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:56 PM

Don't like them, no they're not good. /thread

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:56 PM

GTA IV and Midnight Club LA are R*'s first "proper" PS3/360 games, this was when Rockstar properly focused and tried to use the new consoles to their advantage. To be honest, GTA IV and MCLA are the best two games ever, hands down. Both took something completely new to the table. GTA IV had awesome driving mechanics in an open world sandbox, for the first time ever, along with awesome MP modes. MCLA had amazing car customisation, along with an awesomely designed multiplayer.

Both of those games lasted me waaay longer than any of R*'s newer stuff like GTAV and RDR.

Emmi
  • Emmi

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:16 PM

I still think RDR was R*'s best PS3/360 game. GTA IV is a close second, followed by GTA V, LA Noire and Max Payne 3. (Im only talking about PS3/360 games)

If I'm talking about their entire line up there's no doubt for me that Bully was the best game (in my opinion, I still play it these days), followed by GTA III and GTA San Andreas.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users