Quantcast

» «
Photo

Dave Norton should've been the final antagonist.

44 replies to this topic
universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:58 PM

I can't see a reason for Dave to do a heel-face-turn and betray the trio. Not only that, but he'd make for a poor antagonist. He isn't very "action-like" in his appearances compared to Steve. I think the only times he shoots a gun is in "Monkey Business" and "The Wrap Up".

I gotta agree with that. I only wrote it up if and only if they asked me to make him an antagonist against my will. I do feel though that The Third Way was pretty piss poor in a final mission.

If Rockstar holds true to the idea of single player DLC, I can imagine Dave's role being expanded on, but he still seems unlikely to turn on people. If he had that mindset, he would've turned on Steve or Devin when he had the chance.

Yeah. Besides, he gained enough trust with Michael and keeping him safe for so many years. If Townley was exposed, the government could receive a major court case which would result many going to life in prison. 

I think the government's pretty incompetent for the most part, seeing as right after the trio get away after the big score, they don't bother with an investigation or forensics or anything like that. Not only that, but considering the idea of Michael going into witness protection with all the money he made from robbing banks and not getting any slaps on the wrist, it seems kinda unlikely to happen in reality..

But I get what you mean, though, it could happen with the leeway in the GTA universe regarding law and justice.

Luna Lovegood
  • Luna Lovegood

You're just sane as i am

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:11 PM

Trevor should have been the antagonist.

well... basically you are playing as the antagonist

the main plot of the game is Michael trying to escape the past especially his over-attached friend, Trevor

TheDeaconBosco
  • TheDeaconBosco

A car so nice, they've named it twice

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:11 PM

I can't see a reason for Dave to do a heel-face-turn and betray the trio. Not only that, but he'd make for a poor antagonist. He isn't very "action-like" in his appearances compared to Steve. I think the only times he shoots a gun is in "Monkey Business" and "The Wrap Up".

I gotta agree with that. I only wrote it up if and only if they asked me to make him an antagonist against my will. I do feel though that The Third Way was pretty piss poor in a final mission.

If Rockstar holds true to the idea of single player DLC, I can imagine Dave's role being expanded on, but he still seems unlikely to turn on people. If he had that mindset, he would've turned on Steve or Devin when he had the chance.

Yeah. Besides, he gained enough trust with Michael and keeping him safe for so many years. If Townley was exposed, the government could receive a major court case which would result many going to life in prison. 

I think the government's pretty incompetent for the most part, seeing as right after the trio get away after the big score, they don't bother with an investigation or forensics or anything like that. Not only that, but considering the idea of Michael going into witness protection with all the money he made from robbing banks and not getting any slaps on the wrist, it seems kinda unlikely to happen in reality..

But I get what you mean, though, it could happen with the leeway in the GTA universe regarding law and justice.

It's implied that Michael actually didn't get in WP but instead bribed Dave so that he'd get the glory and in order for him to keep his money and get a new house during the mission where him and Lester check up the jewelry store

Alec Skorpio
  • Alec Skorpio

Old Fart

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:15 PM

Nope.  Dave was a pretty decent guy, all things considered.  It would have just been another typical GTA betrayal.

Its actually kind of sad that so many people seem to be obsessed with the tried and true GTA villain formula.

• Nick Testbranch and TheDeaconBosco like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:26 PM

It's implied that Michael actually didn't get in WP but instead bribed Dave so that he'd get the glory and in order for him to keep his money and get a new house during the mission where him and Lester check up the jewelry store

I must've missed that part. I remember them saying a few times over the course of the game that Michael's in WP, coming from (off the top of my head) Lester, Steve, and even Michael himself.

Alec Skorpio
  • Alec Skorpio

Old Fart

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:13 PM Edited by liquidussnake119, 27 March 2014 - 05:14 PM.

I must've missed that part. I remember them saying a few times over the course of the game that Michael's in WP, coming from (off the top of my head) Lester, Steve, and even Michael himself.

Lester himself says that it doesn't seem like any witsec program he's ever seen, considering that Michael was able to use the money to buy a mansion, cars and makes regular 5 figure payments to Dave.

It's witness protection in the sense that Michael gave up Brad and faked his death, and in return Dave gives him a new identity and keeps him off the radar.  He isn't in the actual Witness Protection Program, but Michael calls it that cause it sounds better than "I faked my death and gave up my best friends so I could get away scott free with all my money"

OGLuke
  • OGLuke

frickie van hardenburgs best buddy friend

• Members

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:04 PM

yeah old dave norton the kind of guy that shoots guys with bigger dicks.

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

Dime store angel of death

• Members
  • None
  • Best Story/Poem 2015 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:16 PM

I thought from the get-go I was gonna have to kill Dave. 

And I'd do it with a smile. 

I didn't like Dave as soon as he knocked Michael out at the observatory. One of my favorite lines by Michael is actually "f*ck you, Dave." That guy is shysty as f*ck. He and Michael don't seem like friends, I believe one of them actually says they're not during "The Wrap Up."  They seem like two guys cooperating because they both have dirt on eachother. I think if Michael's leverage became useless somehow, Dave could easily be an enemy. 

He would have certainly been a much more interesting villain than that ass-clown Steve Haines.   

This explanation seems logical to me.

But as others have said, Dave is sufficiently bland that it seem like if he had a choice, after the pressure of Haines' blackmail was taken care of, Dave would just lay low, stay straight and try to do a decent cop job, albeit with slightly flexible ethics, such as the situation he got into with Michael in the first place. 

But alternatively, the story could have continued with Dave playing a kind of Mike Moreno role, recruiting our protags to do some more nasty jobs in the interest of national security or shadowy govt agencies, but not in the interest of inter-agency infighting like Haines was up to.  Dave could be kind of a reluctant Moreno, trying to do the right thing in the big picture. 

• Nick Testbranch likes this

Nick Testbranch
  • Nick Testbranch

Offending Mimes Everywhere.

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:56 AM

I thought from the get-go I was gonna have to kill Dave. 

And I'd do it with a smile. 

I didn't like Dave as soon as he knocked Michael out at the observatory. One of my favorite lines by Michael is actually "f*ck you, Dave." That guy is shysty as f*ck. He and Michael don't seem like friends, I believe one of them actually says they're not during "The Wrap Up."  They seem like two guys cooperating because they both have dirt on eachother. I think if Michael's leverage became useless somehow, Dave could easily be an enemy. 

He would have certainly been a much more interesting villain than that ass-clown Steve Haines.   

This explanation seems logical to me.

But as others have said, Dave is sufficiently bland that it seem like if he had a choice, after the pressure of Haines' blackmail was taken care of, Dave would just lay low, stay straight and try to do a decent cop job, albeit with slightly flexible ethics, such as the situation he got into with Michael in the first place. 

But alternatively, the story could have continued with Dave playing a kind of Mike Moreno role, recruiting our protags to do some more nasty jobs in the interest of national security or shadowy govt agencies, but not in the interest of inter-agency infighting like Haines was up to.  Dave could be kind of a reluctant Moreno, trying to do the right thing in the big picture. 

Very well said, although I believe you mean "Toreno". Moreno makes him sound... incompetent. lol

Chips237
  • Chips237

Walking on sunshine

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:22 PM

Norton said something that made me think he would betray Michael - 

"Terror does not take coffee breaks"

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:07 PM

I liked Dave Norton so I'm glad this didn't happen. His car was boss too, a pearlescent blue Oracle II.

Lil ski
  • Lil ski

Hawai'i 5-O

• Members

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:24 AM

Wut?? Man I liked Ol' Davey boy! Yeh he made you do stupid missions but he looked after yo ass.
  • Zello likes this

skittlez86
  • skittlez86

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:16 AM

It would have been interesting. Making Dave a backstabber at the end. Easy antagonist there. Everyone hates backstabbers.

backstabbing is a bit over done and you can tell who is going to do it anyway 

Cylan
  • Cylan

High-Functioning Sociopath

• Members

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:33 AM

Nah man. I'm glad Dave didn't die. I liked the way Michael casually referred to him as "Davey" almost every time they spoke.

• Zello likes this

Zodape
  • Zodape

CABINETS

• The Yardies
  • Argentina

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:24 AM

It would have been interesting. Making Dave a backstabber at the end. Easy antagonist there. Everyone hates backstabbers.

backstabbing is a bit over done and you can tell who is going to do it anyway 

Over done? Yes. The latter? That's debatable. It really depends of the writing. In VC, Lance Vance pretended to be some kind of misterious guardian angel, and he betrays Tommy right at the end. I wasn't expecting that, and I am good at guessing these kind of things.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users