Has GTA gone soft?

161 replies to this topic
MetalMilitia89
  • MetalMilitia89

GTA Series Special Vehicle Collector

• Feroci
  • United-States
  • The collector [Amazing work on the Special Vehicle Guide!]

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:56 PM Edited by Militia, 25 March 2014 - 07:59 PM.

Well you got a point...It's optional.  But if you took a legit poll as to how many people are skipping it, it's probably more than you think...I constantly hear about how hard the cops are in GTA V...So if people can't pass a simple mission, they'd probably give up regardless and just skip the part of the mission.

Plus, at the end of the day, it feels good to pass an actual hard mission...Better yet..Doing it first try...

There is no "Yay, I feel so good about myself, I just skipped the hardest part of the mission with a click of a button!"

I'd tell myself "Man, you suck!  Keep trying, and getting better!"

That is why I was always pleased at my efforts in GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas.  You lost all weapons, ammo, armor and had to start at the beginning of the mission - An actual challenge in my eyes...

Anyways, booting up San Andreas right now to f*ck around in it, see ya later lol

• Luuk' likes this

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

By: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:01 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 25 March 2014 - 08:03 PM.

Lol i even love the way GTA5 introduced "Timelapse Event to Start a Mission" unlike before you had to wait for hours in-game before doing that specific mission,when watching my brother play Infamous 2nd Son and see that it also implement (copy/adopt) that feature for some missions i was like "Wow that was in GTA5,a game on current gen" lol :).

A_smitty56
  • A_smitty56

Driver

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:07 PM Edited by Andreas, 25 March 2014 - 08:09 PM. Removed quote-train.

Holy sh*t, awesome idea with the Johnny thing. I also think they need to have a darker more realistic focus. Your story is a good side story but can't be a main story. Nobody wants to go through a bunch of f*ckin sh*t just to be in a jail cell at the end. The main premises is to have freedom at the end and control of the world you struggled through along the way. If you didn't have that it would not be a f*ckin sandbox game. What the f*ck do you wanna do free roam in a f*ckin jail cell? I can see what you came up with for Johnny being done as a short story dlc piece and I think that would be an epic tale to tell.

Well... I didn't exactly have a jail cell in mind, more like the protagonist would end up dead.   As for single player free roam after you finish the story.  Hell I don't know, I'm sure they could come up with something.   But I'd love to see a realistic view of someone forced to turn into that life style.   Something that would actually have an impact on the players after they finish the story, a bit of an "oh sh_t, what did I just see" mind f_ck type of moment to finish it off.

I think that would make an actual great story, and there would be zero chance of rehashing/ruining that character for the players after that, unlike Johnny.

Detective Phelps
  • Detective Phelps

F*ck the 4th amendment!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA V section - Reporting]

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:08 PM

Lol i even love the way GTA5 introduced "Timelapse Event to Start a Mission" unlike before you had to wait for hours in-game before doing that specific mission,when watching my brother play Infamous 2nd Son and see that it also implement (copy/adopt) that feature for some missions i was like "Wow that was in GTA5,a game on current gen" lol :).

Play Far Cry 3. ;)

It's on that game as well.

• Truth-Seeker76 likes this

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:08 PM

There is no "I feel good about skipping the mission!", because that's not the point of it. The point is just to not trap people in a situation where they can't get out, and basically ruining the game for them. 

I get what you're saying, though.

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:18 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 25 March 2014 - 08:23 PM.

Play Far Cry 3. ;)
It's on that game as well.
Cool :) i guess it wasnt GTA5 first then but well FC3 didnt make players sleep like in GTA even though there is a visible bed in your safehouse;) but nice to see it was on FC3 and then V both current-gen games and now Infamous 2nd Son :)

Edit:Weird part is i played FC3 at the same time i had GTA5 and i swear i didnt noticed lol maybe it cus GTA's AoD is So Great ;) although many games next-gen would likely focus on that,two first great examples are Infamous2nd Son and MGS:GZ ;)

ViceCityStalker
  • ViceCityStalker

Is Balls Deep Inside Candy Suxxx

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:20 PM

Yes yes it has faster than a cock at a Bette Midler concert.

9nBXeug.jpg

Mista J
  • Mista J

I can't wait to show you my toys...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:22 PM Edited by DarthShinobi, 25 March 2014 - 08:23 PM.

I don't think it's gone soft. I think it has matured about the way it does things. Like, instead of going around being able to hit people with a purple dildo, we're able to use a can of gasoline and light sh*t on fire. Sex scenes are obviously more detailed, bullet wounds more detailed, it's gotten a bit more brutal, we have torture scenes, Trevor flushing a severed leg. Taking people to a cannibalistic cult. Maybe the violence in the new GTAs are too adult for you? Maybe?

Sir Winthorpe Herrington
  • Sir Winthorpe Herrington

Rachet

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:23 PM

Holy sh*t, awesome idea with the Johnny thing. I also think they need to have a darker more realistic focus. Your story is a good side story but can't be a main story. Nobody wants to go through a bunch of f*ckin sh*t just to be in a jail cell at the end. The main premises is to have freedom at the end and control of the world you struggled through along the way. If you didn't have that it would not be a f*ckin sandbox game. What the f*ck do you wanna do free roam in a f*ckin jail cell? I can see what you came up with for Johnny being done as a short story dlc piece and I think that would be an epic tale to tell.

Well... I didn't exactly have a jail cell in mind, more like the protagonist would end up dead.   As for single player free roam after you finish the story.  Hell I don't know, I'm sure they could come up with something.   But I'd love to see a realistic view of someone forced to turn into that life style.   Something that would actually have an impact on the players after they finish the story, a bit of an "oh sh_t, what did I just see" mind f_ck type of moment to finish it off.

I think that would make an actual great story, and there would be zero chance of rehashing/ruining that character for the players after that, unlike Johnny.

Kind of like the way John Marston went out. I like it but then you have that free roam aspect to worry about. In Red Dead they got away with it by having you play as the piece of sh*t horribly annoying kid afterward and I wouldn't want something like that again. When you kill a protag it kills apart of the game.

A_smitty56
  • A_smitty56

Driver

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:34 PM

Kind of like the way John Marston went out. I like it but then you have that free roam aspect to worry about. In Red Dead they got away with it by having you play as the piece of sh*t horribly annoying kid afterward and I wouldn't want something like that again. When you kill a protag it kills apart of the game.

Maybe after you finish the story you get to play as your GTAO character?   Or someone a bit better to replace the protag.    Could just go with multiple characters like GTAV,  heck maybe they don't even have to interact with one another.   One could be the traditional rags to riches GTA character, while the other is living the hard life.    Possibly have each of them indirectly affects one another?   For instance one protag could kill an important person to the other protag?  Or have the up and coming/rich protag trun the other's to sh*t even more than it already was and have a sort of love/hate thing going on?

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:35 PM

I don't think it's gone soft. I think it has matured about the way it does things. Like, instead of going around being able to hit people with a purple dildo, we're able to use a can of gasoline and light sh*t on fire. Sex scenes are obviously more detailed, bullet wounds more detailed, it's gotten a bit more brutal, we have torture scenes, Trevor flushing a severed leg. Taking people to a cannibalistic cult. Maybe the violence in the new GTAs are too adult for you? Maybe?

The violence is too adult? It's watered down compared to Red Dead Redemption or Max Payne 3. Have you ever actually tried using the gas can? It's a joke! That's gotta be the sh*ttiest weapon in the game. Extremely difficult to get a kill with it. But shoot someone in the face with a shotgun in this game. Use the strongest shotgun you have. Hell, unload a few rounds into their head. See the little red spot on their face after you're done? Too adult my ass. 

• MetalMilitia89 and matajuegos01 like this

Sir Winthorpe Herrington

Rachet

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:41 PM

Maybe after you finish the story you get to play as your GTAO character?   Or someone a bit better to replace the protag.    Could just go with multiple characters like GTAV,  heck maybe they don't even have to interact with one another.   One could be the traditional rags to riches GTA character, while the other is living the hard life.    Possibly have each of them indirectly affects one another?   For instance one protag could kill an important person to the other protag?  Or have the up and coming/rich protag trun the other's to sh*t even more than it already was and have a sort of love/hate thing going on?

They sort of tried to do what your talking about just in a much worse way. At the end you get the option to kill off certain protags which is a nice feature and can add some realism to the story aspect. After finishing the story and only being able to play as your gtao character is probably the worst thing you've said in your entire life. Getting somebody a bit better...I dunno. After you go through all those struggles with a character and attach into that role to just have him die and you get thrown into another body like in red dead is very miserable. You are left with the memory of an ultimate bad ass that is so so much better than the little sack of sh*t you get to free roam as now.

TJGM
  • TJGM

Boss

• Members
  • Ireland
  • Helpfulness Award
    Contribution Award [Mods]

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:47 PM Edited by TJGM, 25 March 2014 - 08:49 PM.

"bratty college school boy bitch and not even close to as awesome as Lamar was"

You talk about Tommy being a guy with 'balls' and then you also talk about Lamar being awesome? Franklin done a WHOLE lot more than Tommy/Lamar did that requires balls. Breaking into the IAA building, robbing the UD, etc.. heck, the fact that he even stayed with Mike through the entire thing proves he has balls, when he could've backed out before he got involved in all that sh*t.
  • Tlaneloli likes this

A_smitty56
  • A_smitty56

Driver

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:51 PM Edited by A_smitty56, 25 March 2014 - 08:53 PM.

They sort of tried to do what your talking about just in a much worse way. At the end you get the option to kill off certain protags which is a nice feature and can add some realism to the story aspect. After finishing the story and only being able to play as your gtao character is probably the worst thing you've said in your entire life. Getting somebody a bit better...I dunno. After you go through all those struggles with a character and attach into that role to just have him die and you get thrown into another body like in red dead is very miserable. You are left with the memory of an ultimate bad ass that is so so much better than the little sack of sh*t you get to free roam as now.

Just throwing out suggestions.  I kind of like the idea of two protags indirectly against each other.    One being the character everyone likes because of his story but is living the tough life and is struggling.  The other is an anti-hero, but gets all the nice stuff like cars, guns, and gets more of the glamours life but is a bit of an asshole/badass in a Tenpenny/Trevor kind of way.

• ViceCityStalker and Sir Winthorpe Herrington like this

BasedJACK
  • BasedJACK

From the clan of keyboard warriors

• Members
  • Puerto-Rico

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:53 PM

I hear this "They messed up the gangs N' SouthN'East LA yo!" complaint alot, and I wonder how many of you have ever actually BEEN to Los Angeles.

I have news for you, gangs are dead. "Gangs" today are Lil-Wayne listening morons with mainstream apparel and a desire to become the "next big thing." The "real" gangsters are 40 Y.O. old f*cks now. The neighborhoods still look hard but that's just appearance my friend. Wait till you see the people actually in them. 

You wanna talk about real money-making and the face of crime in LA? Start a corporation. America isn't a country anymore; it's a business. You come here for a few days and you'll drown in corporate advertisements and rehashed bullsh*t selling us the same lies our grandparents fought against. The same old dogma, just in the face of reality TV shows and devices/foods/substances that allow us to waste away our lives searching for something we'll never find. Happiness.

....Sorry, went off on one of my tirades there. What were we talking about? Oh yeah. No, GTA V isn't too soft; your vision of "hard" is just unrealistic. 

Gangs are far from dead out here, I don't know what part of LA you live in lmao

Sir Winthorpe Herrington

Rachet

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:57 PM

Just throwing out suggestions.  I kind of like the idea of two protags indirectly against each other.    One being the character everyone likes because of his story but is living the tough life and is struggling.  The other is an anti-hero, but gets all the nice stuff like cars, guns, and gets more of the glamours life but is a bit of an asshole/badass in a Tenpenny/Trevor kind of way.

That's a great idea. I would like to play through a story like that.

A_smitty56
  • A_smitty56

Driver

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:01 PM

I'd always loved the idea of a GTA story around being a dirty/rogue undercover cop as well. 

Sir Winthorpe Herrington

Rachet

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:10 PM

I'd always loved the idea of a GTA story around being a dirty/rogue undercover cop as well. 

I agree. There is serious potential in a story like that. Take a cop like max payne who has issues and lost his family and put him into that GTA game script and you could really have something there. I would like him to be real dirty though, like busting rivals of drug dealers that he has alliances with and really tied up into the street side of things just like Tenpenny was. Tenpenny would have made a great protag in my opinion. Could of had all the street things lined with how he is going to turn that dirty money into other businesses he is looking to prop up. A star officer that is trying to be an underground kingpin, gangs and all that sh*t after him and he manipulates the LAPD and rival gangs to see his own way through.

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:18 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 25 March 2014 - 09:21 PM.

Race 'n' Chase 6:Max Payne Revenge lol ;)
yeah off topic here but does anyone think Rockstar could still Rebrand GTA with it Concept development title or is 17 years later too late?.

Edit:Dont get me Wrong i dont want this Legendary Franchise with everything established to be Rebranded but have there being any game franchise in History that have done it?

Sir Winthorpe Herrington

Rachet

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:24 PM

yeah off topic here but does anyone think Rockstar could still Rebrand GTA with it Concept development title or is 17 years later too late?.

Edit:Dont get me Wrong i dont want this Legendary Franchise with everything established to be Rebranded but have there being any game franchise in History that have done it?

Elaborate a bit. What exactly do you mean by concept development title?

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:30 PM

Here:
" "Grand Theft Auto'"s had a protracted a four-year development, which included a title change, and numerous attempts to halt development.[2]

The game was originally titled "Race'n'Chase"until Dan and Sam Houser renamed it. It was originally planned to release on MS-DOS, Windows 95, PlayStation, Sega Saturn
and Ultra 64.[10]
 However, it was never released for the Ultra 64 (ultimately renamed the Nintendo 64
) nor the Sega Saturn
. During the development of "Grand Theft Auto", many people overseeing the game's progress attempted to halt the development, which led to the crew at DMA Design to convince them to allow them to continue.[2]

There were specific milestones planned for"Grand Theft Auto",[10]
 none of which were met:[2]

* *Development begins*: 4 April 1995
* *Complete game design*: 31 May 1995
* *Engine*: 3 July 1995
* "*Look and feel*": 2 October 1995
* *First play*: 3 January 1996
* *Alpha*: 1 April 1996
* *End of production*: 1 July 1996
An original design document
[10]
 dated 22 March 1995 was posted online by Mike Dailly on 22 March 2011.[11]
[12]
[13]
 The author of the document credited is K.R. Hamilton, and the released version is 1.05. It contained information about elements of the game discussed in various meetings held from 23 January 1995 to the writing of the document which also contains many similarities to the 1986 Commodore 64
Miami Vice (video game)
.[10]

According to the original design document, the introduction to "Grand Theft Auto" is a pre-drawn/rendered animation. The Windows 95 version was developed using Visual C++ v2.0. The DOS version was developed using Watcom C/C++ v10, Microsoft MASM 6.1 and Rational Systems DOS extender (DOS4GW) v 1.97. The program used to make "Grand Theft Auto"was said to produce a 3D array which can [be] used by both the perspective and the isometric engines. It was said to consist of a grid editor which is used to place blocks on a grid, with a [separate] grid for each level, and allow any block to be placed at any level. It was said that the world may have had to be 256×256×6 blocks.[10]

The original concept of "Grand Theft Auto"was to produce a fun, addictive and fast multi-player car racing and crashing game which uses a novel graphics method.

That the Document papers and development of what will become GTA 1 in 1997.

Sir Winthorpe Herrington

Rachet

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:43 PM

Here:
" "Grand Theft Auto'"s had a protracted a four-year development, which included a title change, and numerous attempts to halt development.[2]

The game was originally titled "Race'n'Chase"until Dan and Sam Houser renamed it. It was originally planned to release on MS-DOS, Windows 95, PlayStation, Sega Saturn
and Ultra 64.[10]
 However, it was never released for the Ultra 64 (ultimately renamed the Nintendo 64
) nor the Sega Saturn
. During the development of "Grand Theft Auto", many people overseeing the game's progress attempted to halt the development, which led to the crew at DMA Design to convince them to allow them to continue.[2]

There were specific milestones planned for"Grand Theft Auto",[10]
 none of which were met:[2]

* *Development begins*: 4 April 1995
* *Complete game design*: 31 May 1995
* *Engine*: 3 July 1995
* "*Look and feel*": 2 October 1995
* *First play*: 3 January 1996
* *Alpha*: 1 April 1996
* *End of production*: 1 July 1996
An original design document
[10]
 dated 22 March 1995 was posted online by Mike Dailly on 22 March 2011.[11]
[12]
[13]
 The author of the document credited is K.R. Hamilton, and the released version is 1.05. It contained information about elements of the game discussed in various meetings held from 23 January 1995 to the writing of the document which also contains many similarities to the 1986 Commodore 64
Miami Vice (video game)
.[10]

According to the original design document, the introduction to "Grand Theft Auto" is a pre-drawn/rendered animation. The Windows 95 version was developed using Visual C++ v2.0. The DOS version was developed using Watcom C/C++ v10, Microsoft MASM 6.1 and Rational Systems DOS extender (DOS4GW) v 1.97. The program used to make "Grand Theft Auto"was said to produce a 3D array which can [be] used by both the perspective and the isometric engines. It was said to consist of a grid editor which is used to place blocks on a grid, with a [separate] grid for each level, and allow any block to be placed at any level. It was said that the world may have had to be 256×256×6 blocks.[10]

The original concept of "Grand Theft Auto"was to produce a fun, addictive and fast multi-player car racing and crashing game which uses a novel graphics method.

That the Document papers and development of what will become GTA 1 in 1997.

What the f*ck is all this bullsh*t you just sent me? This has nothing to do with the story and that's what were talking about here. CHARACTERS. Personalities and sh*t like that. Not who steve jobs gave a hand job to back in 95.

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:55 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 25 March 2014 - 09:58 PM.

Because you replied to me with this? :lol:

Sir Winthorpe Herrington

Rachet

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:03 PM

Because you replied to me with this? :lol:

I replied to you because you were talking about relevant sh*t then. It's all about the story and the characters not this computer development sh*t. Forget the C++ and the exact moment one guy said to the other "hey we should like try and go 3-d no?" it does not f*cking matter. They got the f*ckin game play, they just are f*cking up characters and story, well i could go on but I will be better off posting it in another topic.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:06 PM Edited by FranklinDeRoosevelt, 25 March 2014 - 10:07 PM.

Anyway, the story is definitely not unique, but it is still enjoyable in it's own way, that is what I think. Rockstar got the gameplay right, although there were stuff that were cut out and other potential things could have been in the game, story was decent although not as good as IV but still, V should be appreciated for what it is. We'll see what they do with the next GTA. Hopefully the story is much better.

• Sir Winthorpe Herrington likes this

Sir Winthorpe Herrington

Rachet

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:15 PM

Anyway, the story is definitely not unique, but it is still enjoyable in it's own way, that is what I think. Rockstar got the gameplay right, although there were stuff that were cut out and other potential things could have been in the game, story was decent although not as good as IV but still, V should be appreciated for what it is. We'll see what they do with the next GTA. Hopefully the story is much better.

Amen to that. Don't get me wrong here I think V is f*ckin great and I think R* is one of the best when it comes to pumpin out a quality title. So many games are just linear half assed stories with nothing but shooting. If I was behind the wheel over there GTA would have been 5x better though. But think about it, do they really want to give us the best they can? The answer is no. If you already own the best they got then why the f*ck would you still be buyin from em huh? Sellin digital media is funny like that sometimes but don't you ever forget...it's all about the money.

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:16 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 25 March 2014 - 10:19 PM.

@Sir Winthorpe
True,but i thought you wanted me to explain why Race 'n' Chase eventually became the Original GTA,btw i got that document from Wikipedia...and i also said i was off topic (i apologise OP :)) but yeah like you said it should be for another thread :)

OP:Like i said comments ago and also included two videos to proof,GTA didnt went soft,and like i have said million times before V's Story and Characters are great,you either Love it or Hate it :)

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:17 PM

Soft:  Regenerating health, checkpoints in missions, skip entire sections of missions.

That might seem soft, but what you really mean is easy? IV was a doddle, most missions could be done just using a pistol. It didn't stop it being fun though. I don't think V was easier than IV either for these changes. The cops are a lot more belligerent for starters.

Also I'm really surprised the torture scene didn't cause a lot more controversy. 

• Sir Winthorpe Herrington likes this

matajuegos01
  • matajuegos01

Stalker

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:19 PM

In terms of gameplay mechanics (numerous checkpoints, skippable missions, etc)?  Yes

Violence? Yes

Nudity? Not at all

Story? Yes

• Zee likes this

Sir Winthorpe Herrington

Rachet

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:31 PM

@Sir Winthorpe
True,but i thought you wanted me to explain why Race 'n' Chase eventually became the Original GTA,btw i got that document from Wikipedia...and i also said i was off topic (i apologise OP :)) but yeah like you said it should be for another thread :)

OP:Like i said comments ago and also included two videos to proof,GTA didnt went soft,and like i have said million times before V's Story and Characters are great,you either Love it or Hate it :)

If you honestly feel the characters from V were some bad asses then I would hate to see you meet me. It's all good though and even though I could wreck people I hate fighting and think it is waste of time and is stupid for people that have any mind at all to be into petty arguments. Didn't know about the race and chase thing but thanks for the backround info. I was actually too pissed off to watch your videos when you posted them and felt you were missing my point because I know it's still not a game you would give to your kid because of some of the f*cked up sh*t here and there but i'm talking characters. I'm not talking about cuss words and some animated dick flash in a gta tv commercial, i'm just getting at their personalities here. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users