Checkpoint Placement Guide

128 replies to this topic
Cuz05
  • Cuz05

~RRR1~

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:15 PM

I don't actually find that many situations where there's a need to place a central CP. You often find people put an extra one in the middle of a long straight that won't cause problems if removed.
Obviously there's some spots on the map where you need to, such as that wide road North of the golf course but I'll always look to place them in clear space at the junctions, with plenty of room before the island. Sometimes it stretches visibility but that's better than having people run thru posts or rough ground.
Most of the time you're going from one turn to another and it's not a problem but I do barrier off lanes occasionally to change the way a corner flows.
  • PlamenVT and stronktank like this

pkcrazie
  • pkcrazie

Too weird to live, and too rare to die

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 November 2014 - 01:11 PM

Great thread fellas

• Cuz05 likes this

PlamenVT
  • PlamenVT

MAINfella

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 December 2014 - 02:20 PM Edited by PlamenVT, 10 December 2014 - 02:30 PM.

Bit off-topic, but I was wondering if someone tried describing "Race Props Placement Guide" too?  I think it's relevant to the Checkpoint guide, as both props & checkpoints are often used together to achieve the same goal.

Could actually include not only prop placement tips/tricks/best practice, but also some explanation of what props (especially barriers) are useful for what purpose and if they have any downsides.

Some examples:

• Generally recommendation to use the new "tire walls" primarily for shaping up the outside of the turns (the new tire walls are "sticky" (you touch it a bit and then you stop), while for the inside of the turns use red/white barriers or equivalent (as they're non-sticky, and prevents punishing slight oversteering and taking the the corner in the best lane (often close to the inside of the turn)
  • For the same reason - avoid using any tire walls for small races where 100 red/white striped barriers will be enough. 
  • "overlapping of barrier props" - use a prop switch glitch to ensure smooth transition between barriers (visually looks better and prevents anyone from getting stuck in a "prop gap).
  • to include the best ways to neutralize Rockstar props (lightposts). E.g. use a tire stack overlap over a lightpost to prevent them from being knocked off
  • Still avoid using using any tire stacks (on current gen there are no longer dynamic too). But they can find good use for visual purpose, but try not use them instead of barriers
  • For chicanes - use props with low height to ensure visibility at what is ahead, combined with a checkpoint at the chicane offset in order to give advance warning to the drivers that there's a turn coming (here's one of the examples where props & checkpoints go together)
  • For races set in the night - you can try utilizing one of the new barriers (forgot how they were called) which are illuminated

It's just to illustrate a point, those tips are a very rough draft (might be even wrong as content). Wrote them them just to get a point across about a general "Props placement guide"

• Cuz05 and S0lo like this

Cuz05
  • Cuz05

~RRR1~

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 December 2014 - 01:53 PM

Good tips Plamen.
I see the relevance to this thread but prop placement has the depth to warrant it's own guide I think, pinned alongside this one. Would certainly be interested in it and I don't think it'd suffer from lack of contribution.
It's a trickier topic to be exhaustive on as a lot would come down to taste but there are definitely some basics to bear in mind. A discussion on the finer arts could be very helpful to a lot of people. There's a lot of tips and tricks to share.
Propping is definitely one of the most fun aspects of race creation for me.
  • PlamenVT and S0lo like this

henriquedematos
  • henriquedematos

Proud member of the SA Pfister Owners Club™

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:36 AM Edited by henriquedematos, 05 March 2015 - 03:36 AM.

Is it just me or the checkpoint placement was absolutely screwed up in the last updates? You pretty much can't place them less than 2 or 3 meters from objects.

Cuz05
  • Cuz05

~RRR1~

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:24 AM

I hadn't noticed this at all. Been creating same as always?

Nitty Don
  • Nitty Don

C*nt Mode - [ON] OFF

• Members

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:28 PM

Can't say this has been an issue for me also ???

• SPEEDSTER0595 likes this

FlourescentBlack
  • FlourescentBlack

Snitch

• Members

Posted 18 August 2015 - 04:48 AM Edited by FlourescentBlack, 18 August 2015 - 05:03 AM.

The inside line is not always the fastest. Driving as straight as possible for the longest possible time is the fastest or using as few of turning imputs as possible or as little time as possible. Usually this means driving the outside line except for turn ins weather they are combo corners or a single one. Your car should be aimed to the outside and micro steering adjustments across the inside until you are aimed at whatever your aiming point is. I may not have articulated this perfectly and there are exceptions but It is good info none the less.

To help getting through traffic and obstacles you ought to ground view as in affix your eyes to where they connect to the ground, not the lights of a car for example.

Excellent thread!

FroudeyBrand
  • FroudeyBrand

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:09 AM

I've been trying to find a tip or trick to place items such as parachutes and weapon pickups on props, I've seen it done but for the life of me I can't do it,

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users