Photo

How Long Until GTAV Feels Old?

83 replies to this topic
Woll Smoth
  • Woll Smoth

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:36 PM Edited by Woll Smoth, 24 March 2014 - 03:37 PM.

To be honest, V already feels old to me. It's been that way for a couple of months now. I try to play, but as soon as I try to put the disc in, I just put it back into the case. 

To this day, I can still play VC, SA, and IV without getting bored easily. Whereas V, I get bored just before putting the game in the disc tray. The only thing that'll make me pick this game back up, is some huge story DLC. These crappy car packs isn't cutting it! Well, a tuner car pack would be nice, though.

• Official General likes this

Real_Badgirl
  • Real_Badgirl

Prankster

• Members

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:36 PM

In a couple of years.

I'm not the type of person who can play a game non stop for months, so it's been a couple of months since I've played V. As much as I love it, I probably won't play it again for about a year. When I do go through it again, it won't feel 'old' but it won't have that 'ZOMG NEW GAME!!!!' feel to it anymore.

Ixnay
  • Ixnay

bizarro starter kit

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:49 PM

V got old for me after about two weeks. IV never will.

• shadyslady likes this

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:12 AM

Feels old to me now...

Not many points of interest in Los Santos, and definitely a downgrade from the city-feel of Liberty. I still love Blaine, whichever parts of it aren't untraversable, low-detail mountain, but with about 1/6 of the campaign missions taking place there and limited jobs and property there online, it's hard to try to make my own fun.

I don't know, even with all the damn "too serious, lol" criticism GTA 4 gets, it still seems a lot more sandboxy to me. Cops weren't crushingly brutal, plenty more indoor locations, subway tunnels, lots of nooks and crannies to really make it feel huge even when it wasn't. 

Of course the GTA V SP campaign was short and awful, all the stuff I usually say, blah-blah-blah.

But I really wished they capitalized on GTA:O more. The content creator and the repeated NPC missions can't really substitute for a good environment and variety that really make it worth playing. In 4, we had the main game, TBoGT, and TLaD, all with their own unique vehicles, weapons, and modes. To me, GTA V just feels like an even sh*ttier TBoGT online. 

THE GHETTO JEZUS
  • THE GHETTO JEZUS

Tape Is Love, Tape Is Life

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:08 AM

For me GTA V felt old after about 1 month of playing it like I lost so much interest in the game since it was boring af. I went back to IV and had more fun playing that then a brand new game and I still to this day regret buying the special edition. 

• shadyslady and The God From Hell like this

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

‘Be Yourself’ is about the worst advice you can give to people.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:20 AM

I was gonna respond positively, but these pessimistic replies are wearing me down.

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:21 AM

So how long will it be until GTA V has that old feel?
When the new GTA comes out?

Probably.  I mean, look at this forum: up until V's release, most people complained about how terrible IV is, now it's apparently this amazing classic.  Once VI comes out, most if not all of the people hating on V will move onto that.  Then again, things may change sooner, perhaps if a new RDR or Bully is released.  They're going to get a metric sh*t-ton of hate.

• _Kindled_ and Watari like this

The Quench
  • The Quench

'SEVEN1FO'

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:36 AM

I actually just started another play-through of San Andreas today soooo..... :monocle:

OT: I don't know what it is about V but like I've probably stated in other threads...I played IV (and the DLCs) for hours and hours and hours and never got tired of it even though it lacked the "features" V has today and V is already blah to me (read: can't play for more than 30 minutes without getting a little snoozy) 

shadyslady
  • shadyslady

I've never been popular - I don't mean to start now

• Members

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:36 AM

It already did soon after I finished it. Gave it another try doing all side missions and taking my time. The flaws of this game can't be undone by them beautiful graphics. Gta 4 is still the greatest to me.
  • Bonnano likes this

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Biggest Fanboy 2014
    Worst Fanboy 2013
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:44 AM Edited by SonOfLiberty, 25 March 2014 - 08:48 AM.

It's sad how people say GTA V already feels old for them because they've given us a huge map and plenty of easter eggs and locations to go to and enjoy. People don't realize that GTA V is a sandbox game.

Gta 4 barely gave us anything, 2 attack helicopters, no planes etc. but that never got old in the first few months of release?

Well to me there's more to a game than just features and a big map. I don't know what it is with GTA IV, but everytime I start a new save it feels like everything resets itself and the "experience" of Niko arriving in LC feels as fresh and grand as it was 6 years ago.

With GTA V I've played through it 4 times (working on a 5th), but I really don't get a feeling like that. Probably because everything is so fast paced, the map is unlocked from the start and most things are given to us at the beginning.

Even moreso now with the new updates. You can have supercars and powerful weapons as soon as you start the game.

I've always admired GTA IV's slow pacing as every time I feel like I'm gradually making my way through the dredges of LC as Niko is looking for "That Special Someone". There's no feeling like this in GTA V IMO.
  • livejoker, Official General and ActHowTheyExpect like this

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Order. Purpose. Direction.

• Members
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:26 AM

@SOL

I thought it was kinda funny when Michael wrote "What a journey!" or something like that to Franklin in post-story e-mail. Because V didn't felt like a journey at all. But I don't say that as an insult. IV is like an epic 3-hour long movie, where we see the protagonist slowly working towards his ultimate objective. V is more like a "monster-of-the-week" TV show with overarching theme and character-driven plotline that's always there and is mentioned in every episode, but isn't really dealt with until the end of the season.

Personally, I always hated stretched out story and filler side plots in GTA games (countryside in SA, post-Broker-pre-Boccino/ULPC in IV, Mexico in RDR), but V made me realize how important they are from pacing perspective. Well, TLaD managed to have a short story with right pacing, but that game seems like a miracle that R* weren't able to replicate.

Otherwise, V still feels really fresh to me. There's still so much to see and do and I feel like I only explored the surface of Los Santos and Blaine County.

• livejoker, Ermacs and BrokenLizard like this

BrokenLizard
  • BrokenLizard

Hustler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:18 AM Edited by BrokenLizard, 25 March 2014 - 11:20 AM.

It's already old. I keep on playing online just to get more money and don't even bother playing SP anymore.

Edit: I've just rebought III and San Andreas to replay the story cause I'm already THAT bored of V already

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:51 PM

So how long will it be until GTA V has that old feel?
When the new GTA comes out?

Probably.  I mean, look at this forum: up until V's release, most people complained about how terrible IV is, now it's apparently this amazing classic.  Once VI comes out, most if not all of the people hating on V will move onto that.  Then again, things may change sooner, perhaps if a new RDR or Bully is released.  They're going to get a metric sh*t-ton of hate.

I'd just like to point out I always defended GTA IV against the haters - many of whom merely wanted GTA SA V2, and they got it with V, and still aren't happy. I think simply, they follow trends. The same kind of people who wear "Keep Calm..." T shirts - they go with the flow instead of forming their own opinion. I bet they read and believe game reviews.

Me, I played the game and, for a while, I listed GTA IV as the best game ever - in my own opinion and world. In GTA games, it's still the best imo, although VC isn't far behind. V hasn't changed that. I hoped it would, i expected it to, but it really missed the target.

I actually just started another play-through of San Andreas today soooo..... :monocle:

OT: I don't know what it is about V but like I've probably stated in other threads...I played IV (and the DLCs) for hours and hours and hours and never got tired of it even though it lacked the "features" V has today and V is already blah to me (read: can't play for more than 30 minutes without getting a little snoozy) 

I think it's focus. IV was this focused thing - it was what it was. Fair sized map, great characters and good story. All this combines to create a weight behind the city - the city is a staging area for the story, and thus reflects it.

V lacks all of that weight - the brad/michael saga was not that strong in impact, and the entire story was lacking, and the map reflected that. That and I feel that Rockstar had zero focus - they spread themselves too thin with O and a huge map etc.

It's sad how people say GTA V already feels old for them because they've given us a huge map and plenty of easter eggs and locations to go to and enjoy. People don't realize that GTA V is a sandbox game.

Gta 4 barely gave us anything, 2 attack helicopters, no planes etc. but that never got old in the first few months of release?

Well to me there's more to a game than just features and a big map. I don't know what it is with GTA IV, but everytime I start a new save it feels like everything resets itself and the "experience" of Niko arriving in LC feels as fresh and grand as it was 6 years ago.

With GTA V I've played through it 4 times (working on a 5th), but I really don't get a feeling like that. Probably because everything is so fast paced, the map is unlocked from the start and most things are given to us at the beginning.

Even moreso now with the new updates. You can have supercars and powerful weapons as soon as you start the game.

I've always admired GTA IV's slow pacing as every time I feel like I'm gradually making my way through the dredges of LC as Niko is looking for "That Special Someone". There's no feeling like this in GTA V IMO.

I hate how V forces you to have certain weapon. The game forgets what weapon you have "selected" I presed LB to draw my pistol .50 and instead I pulled out an RPG and blew myself up (was being shot at and had to rush so i quick-fired). RDR had it nailed - press LB and it'd draw whatever weapon you wanted, not some random one.

Pacing is very important in a story. It can be hard to get right, and also consider the dynamic of action - you can not have a story that's wall to wall action. You need quite periods, you need calmness. IV delivered this well - this is why three leafed clover was such an epic mission, because the dynamic of the story. V lacks that dynamic. I loved the "calm" missions in IV that suited Niko's character. Jacob's first one, where he gives you a gun - you drive at your own pace, Park up, then there's this nice shootout - nothing OTT, but it pulled me in, and I felt Niko was a calm guy, popping off guys here and there. Then you drive off. Simple, but no less fun.
Rockstar got this idea that explosions and chaos equate fun - Play the first 3/4 Splinter Cell games and tell me if that's true. V's "stealth" is an example of this - they just have no concept of it.

The map being unlocked isn't an issue for me - the whole locking was getting old tbh. I praise that decision, but the thing is, the map is empty and mostly pointless; it doesn't go anywhere really, apart from a "town" which is smaller than a village i visited which literally was on top of a hill and consisted of a church, a few shops and a dozen houses. Adding countryside, there's two things Rockstar missed out:

1 - a second or third city - we need that for the countryside to feel like it goes somewhere. The main highway in V goes in a circle, nowhere other than a tiny "town". Most of the map is a cheat with mountains. Sure, it looks great but like a stunning blonde essex girl, there's nothing behind it.

2 - a large/long story to make use of the map. SA, while the story was poor, did this really well. The story justified the map and made use of it all. V's "story" is more a statement "lets rob sh*t and not get paid, then shoot everyone for the hell of it." There were golden moments, and potential, but V missed it all. GTA IV, imo, managed to have the story fill the city. V didn't

• livejoker likes this

DS 17
  • DS 17

om nom nom

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:49 PM

When GTA VI is released. IV became a classic when V was released, as with SA and IV.

I played SA for years, while I played IV only a few hours after I finished the story, because there was nothing else left to do and the map was boring, not like SA. 

I have never played V, yet, but I think it might be more like SA. So I hope V will bring fun up to several years. 

BrokenLizard
  • BrokenLizard

Hustler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

When GTA VI is released. IV became a classic when V was released, as with SA and IV.

I played SA for years, while I played IV only a few hours after I finished the story, because there was nothing else left to do and the map was boring, not like SA. 
I have never played V, yet, but I think it might be more like SA. So I hope V will bring fun up to several years. 

In terms of occupying free time

IV:
Hang out with friends
Play pool, bowling, etc
Shoot up a Burger Shot
Set NPCs up to get arrested
Play Q'UBD
Use the police computer to nab an unlimited amount of criminals
Turf/drug wars (TBOGT)
Club management

V:
Hang out with other characters
Mod cars
Do yoga, play tennis/golf
Taxi missions
4 bounty missions, 4 street races

At an unbiased standpoint, there's more to do in IV. I know I'm probably missing a few things for both games, but it's kind of sad to see how they did not implement some features that were in IV into V.
I know it was annoying getting calls to go bowling, but looking back, we took it for granted and those mini games were actually fun and would have been nice to have a more polished version in V.

PS: The police computer was REALLY taken for granted.

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

aka: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:59 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 25 March 2014 - 04:01 PM.

Lol it seems like most people hate V alot and it the game that broke an all-time record plus it sold 33ml copies and was very innovative imo even though it didnt win many GoTY awards like TLoU.....this makes me feel sad :cry:

BrokenLizard
  • BrokenLizard

Hustler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:03 PM

Lol it seems like most people hate V alot and it the game that broke an all-time record plus it sold 33ml copies...this makes me feel sad :cry:

Nobody's "hating" they're just pointing out obvious flaws. Plus, sales don't really mean much, except that it's a popular game. COD is a perfect example of that.

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

aka: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:15 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 25 March 2014 - 04:16 PM.

Lol it seems like most people hate V alot and it the game that broke an all-time record plus it sold 33ml copies...this makes me feel sad :cry:

Nobody's "hating" they're just pointing out obvious flaws. Plus, sales don't really mean much, except that it's a popular game. COD is a perfect example of that.
True,but i dont mean every GTA5 players,but it most people on this forum although most people also love the game either on the forum or other sites plus people i know.But damn the Hate threads,Nitpicking is too much even i that is a GTA5 lover cant keep up with it or defend the game...i guess i am the Rare GTA5 fanboy on here and that just makes me sad.

Detective Phelps
  • Detective Phelps

F*ck the 4th amendment!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA V section - Reporting]

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:27 PM Edited by Los Santos Police Department, 25 March 2014 - 04:41 PM.

i guess i am the Rare GTA5 fanboy on here and that just makes me sad.

What? So everyone here should be a fanboy? There's nothing wrong with pointing out the game's flaws at all.

OT: For me, the game will get boring in 1 or 2 years time. But I'll have to see, as I still play GTA IV. 

3000th post! :D

• livejoker and Bonnano like this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, I always carry my heat in these streets

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:45 PM Edited by Official General, 25 March 2014 - 05:20 PM.

GTA V got old for me after I completed the story, 3 weeks after first getting it. V being old don't bother me, it was the fact that it got kinda boring and uninteresting fast once I had completed the story.

GTA IV is old to me, but I still get the urge to play it though. That is the feeling I should be getting from a GTA game. V just don't give me that feeling.

Lol it seems like most people hate V alot and it the game that broke an all-time record plus it sold 33ml copies and was very innovative imo even though it didnt win many GoTY awards like TLoU.....this makes me feel sad :cry:

What the f**ck has a game selling millions of copies got to do with a personal opinion on how actually good it is ? V could have sold 900 million copies, but if many people still thought it was sh*t, then it was sh*t - no amount of copies sold will change that. Seriously bro, stop parading that bullsh*t around. You sound stupid, and it's annoying to see you keep saying that. 

• Bonnano likes this

The Quench
  • The Quench

'SEVEN1FO'

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:05 PM

YES. I think this is it. I love that started from the bottom heading to the top feeling...Niko going from Hove Beach to Bohan before seeing the glitz and glamour and the characters of Algonquin. In V....well I'm pretty sure we all know what V was like (in comparison). 

*fires up 35th play-through of IV* 

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:14 PM Edited by Lucchese, 25 March 2014 - 05:17 PM.

Doesn't feel old for me as of yet. I'm currently slowly progressing through my 4th campaign (think I might go for 100% this time), and I'm still finding new things- be it parts of the story, or the world. I can say with confidence that V will likely surpass the re-playabilty that previous GTA's provided me. I still play IV SP & TBoGT MP every now and again, but there's just far much more to do, see, and spend money on in V.

I guess those who raced through the game once then threw it out their prams because it didn't deliver every personal demand to them, will never truely understand the complexity and re-play value V has to offer compared to other games. Their loss.

richard1997jones
  • richard1997jones

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:39 PM

It shouldn't feel old. I sometimes go back and play SA and VC. They don't feel old so why should this one. My only regret is that I rushed the storyline and completed it in about 13 hours game time so it doesn't have the same affect as SA which took ages as I was only 8 years old when I had it and wasn't able to pass missions as easily.

josephene123
  • josephene123

No

• Members

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:57 PM

A lot of it is down to the cops and the wanted system (e.g cops being called even when you are in middle of nowhere), the ease of death especially in cars (they can take a total beating, true, but if you drive fast and hit a wall or car you will die pretty easily, and if you try jumping down mountains etc they will explode upon impact) but also in gun fights - the ease of killing (you can kill in one punch, weapons are super accurate etc etc etc), dreadful downgrade in physics, and lastly a feel of lifelessness, everything feels kinda dead and linear, and I would go into why but that'd take a long time. 

livejoker
  • livejoker

What am I still doing here?

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:20 AM

Good responses, I like it. :)

Yeah, the cops are really the annoying bit of GTA may it be in SP or MP. They're great when you try in vain to escape and you gotta find a parking garage quick, those moments are fun, but when when you're trying to do something and cops are up your ass with a dildo screaming, "KILLING MAKES MY DICK HARD!" is stupid. I got 100% with my first playthrough which is my first GTA to do that. Tried with GTA IV, my favorite GTA (and all-time favorite game) but those damn pigeons made it impossible. I was so close, only needed Bohan before losing my save.

Hopefully R* are taking notes of the feedback they're getting and make a game crossed between GTA IV and RDR. Those two are true R* classics to me and have no doubt shaped R* in what they are...euh...were....? I'm doing my 2nd playthrough as I realized I forgot most characters. I honestly cannot tell you who gives what mission while in GTA IV I know them all by heart. Then again, I like to argue that GTA V missions weren't as memorable or even the characters. I know Simeon and that guy that jumps off the dam with no parachute but that's about it. Oh, and Steve Haines. That guy is hilarious in the TV Show. That's about it. I was hoping the first appearance for Lazlow to be less pity and more comical. Stuff like that, things that could be done better.

So with all the responses so far, I finally made my mind. GTA V will always be a great game in my heart because of how I hyped it, how I enjoyed the story, how I got 100%, how I laughed with my friends Online (which I don't see anymore), but it will always be that GTA that came close to being better than GTA IV. It's a true tribute to GTA:SA but it's in its own category. It's a great, amazing game but it just needed that something.

ryan_J
  • ryan_J

GTA FOR LIFE !

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:23 AM

As someone who has already welcomed next gen, I still play my PS3 more than my PS4, when I do play my PS4 for a long stretch though and then play GTA V it feels 'old' not that I blame V for this because of course I'm talking about next gen here I just found it interesting when I first experienced it because its the soonest after launch that a GTA game has ever felt 'old' to me. Of course there is not really an open world game on next gen entirely comparable to V but things like the frame rate, the way certain characters move etc definitely feels old.

Like I said I'm not blaming V for this and it hasn't had a negative effect for me, I just found it to be an interesting experience. 

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:47 AM

a little note to say i don't hate V. I like it. I just don't love it. I love VC. I love IV. I really like SA. I simply just like V.

I wouldn't play it as much if i didn't, and wouldn't bother mentioning what I think... I think the same goes for everyone else. If no one cared about it, this conversation wouldn't be happening. Passion's a strange thing...

• Miamivicecity and Official General like this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, I always carry my heat in these streets

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:52 AM

a little note to say i don't hate V. I like it. I just don't love it. I love VC. I love IV. I really like SA. I simply just like V.

I wouldn't play it as much if i didn't, and wouldn't bother mentioning what I think... I think the same goes for everyone else. If no one cared about it, this conversation wouldn't be happening. Passion's a strange thing...

Similar opinion on V to yours. Just my thoughts exactly.

Tikhung
  • Tikhung

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:55 AM

easiest GTA story that I've played.

This :santa:

Geeky_Guy
  • Geeky_Guy

Agent 47

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:05 PM Edited by Geeky_Guy, 26 March 2014 - 07:06 PM.

i want to play Gta V on pc.Sick and tired playing on this f**kin 8 yrs old console.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users