» «
Photo

Why do we not have scuba gear online?

53 replies to this topic
serimos6
  • serimos6

Hustler

• Members

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:21 PM Edited by serimos6, 21 March 2014 - 05:11 PM.

This question is one that has sat in the back of my head ever since i first played GTA Online for this first time to find out that rockstar didn't give us the ability to have scuba gear, yet in singleplayer it's easily accessible.

This is the one feature i assumed rockstar was going to emphasize on for online play; being able to explore the sea with your friends and find hidden treasures, Easter eggs, underwater bases, and who knows what else! I mean, the possibilities are nearly endless with the amount of things rockstar could do with underwater, and yet they have taken advantage of literally nothing having to do with the water, the only thing that's come close is the beach bum pack which was honestly the most useless DLC in the history of ever. 

It's sad to think that there's 3 submarines online that serve literally no purpose except to go 5 mph in a sea of action-less space. It's sad to know that rockstar will more than likely never read this, although I hope that they already understand how much they have missed out on by not including scuba gear online, i mean really, what's preventing them from putting them in online??? There's no technical reason why, it's not like how they restricted the lasso in RDR for online because consoles couldn't handle that many lasso tools in 1 session, scuba gear would cause no coding problem...

One easy way to create purpose in the ocean would be to have "Crate drops" on the sea floor, and who-ever is able to dive to the location first and locate the crate gets a reward that's way better than the normal crates, or even special crate drops. Not only this, but you could have 5-10 friends all deep water dive and explore the sea-floor. There could be missions where you and your friends are assigned to infultrate an under-water base full of enemies, or do a really risky dive in an area that's frequented by hordes of sharks. Rockstar could place countless easter eggs all over the sea, they could have underwater caves, and so much more. 

I suppose all we can do is wait and hope that rockstar gets the message. Oh yeah, and we're still waiting for those heists... 0.o

• WillWorthington3, Ethereal_NYC, Iroquois and 2 others like this

HalfOfZero
  • HalfOfZero

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:24 PM

People use scuba diving gear??
I used it for that one mission that one time and never actually bothered with it.

Zepren
  • Zepren

Worldbreaker

• Angels of Death MC
  • Scotland

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:25 PM

"Because f*ck you, that's why" - Rockstar.

• saintsrow, Deathmaker158, NoSignal666 and 1 other like this

ezfaun
  • ezfaun

Drive

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:26 PM

Because f*ck the ocean

• Synophrys and Franceska like this

serimos6
  • serimos6

Hustler

• Members

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:27 PM Edited by serimos6, 21 March 2014 - 04:28 PM.

I used it for that one mission that one time and never actually bothered with it.

No, people don't use scuba diving gear because there's often no reason to use it, and that's also part of the problem. In singleplayer I would love diving to get the hidden brief cases of cash in these massive shipwrecks, with sharks circling above me at the surface to make the situation feel dangerous. 

Rockstar could easily do something along the lines of a crate drop, except it's lying at the bottom of the sea, and the reward for getting it would be greater than the regular crates. 

• XJpostman, HirsuteDave and AlienTwo like this

XJpostman
  • XJpostman

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:28 PM

I don't know if they patched it but if you were underwater with the scuba gear on, it actually increased lung capacity. There are some decent paying packages on the sea floor in SP too.

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

Go then; There are other worlds than these.

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States
  • Second Best Alien

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:29 PM

It does seem weird... there is so much detail in the Ocean, yet so few reasons to explore it... and even fewer ways.

• doser_ likes this

wanes
  • wanes

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:31 PM

"Why do we not have scuba gear online ?"

Because it isn't scubadave verified.

• stonedpimpso, scubadave, Dementious and 6 others like this

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States
  • Second Best Alien

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:32 PM

"Why do we not have scuba gear online ?"

Because it isn't scubadave verified.

like this post for chop (?)

• Saiyanskillz likes this

serimos6
  • serimos6

Hustler

• Members

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:32 PM Edited by serimos6, 21 March 2014 - 04:34 PM.

It does seem weird... there is so much detail in the Ocean, yet so few reasons to explore it... and even fewer ways.

Exactly, rockstars development team obviously worked so hard on creating this living sea-floor, with tons of plant-life and rock formations that you scuba-dive under, I mean it's insanely well-designed and yet none of it is being explored online because they give us pretty much no way to do it, except confided in a 1 seater submarine that goes the speed of a snail. 

I mean, just imagine the scene of you and 5-10 other friends all scuba diving looking for hidden crates, or just exploring the sea floor, wayyy undersea where it's so dark all you can see is your search-lights from your character and your friend's who are scanning the floor. 

• Dementious and jakfox like this

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States
  • Second Best Alien

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:35 PM

Exactly, rockstars development team obviously worked so hard on creating this living sea-floor, with tons of plant-life and rock formations that you scuba-dive under, I mean it's insanely well-designed and yet none of it is being explored online because they give us pretty much no way to do it, except confided in a 1 seater submarine that goes the speed of a snail. 

I mean, just imagine the scene of you and 5-10 other friends all scuba diving looking for hidden crates, or just exploring the sea floor, wayyy undersea where it's so dark all you can see is your search-lights from your character and your friend's who are scanning the floor. 

That visual makes me sad... because it can't happen and it sound so f*cking cool.

MitchMaljers
  • MitchMaljers

When you can't get what you want.. But you can get me.

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:38 PM

Cash Cards.....

I think it has something to do with rendering,
Same as that all cars are much slower online when compared to SP.

• GranSnake likes this

serimos6
  • serimos6

Hustler

• Members

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:39 PM

That visual makes me sad... because it can't happen and it sound so f*cking cool.

Well i mean, it COULD happen, and that's what's driving me nuts.. I have no idea how rockstar missed out on this. It's like, they must have had this in their plan and they just forgot about it or something... 

ryan_J
  • ryan_J

GTA FOR LIFE !

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:39 PM

I'd like to see what V's sea floor looks like without water, would be epic!

serimos6
  • serimos6

Hustler

• Members

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:41 PM

Cash Cards.....

I think it has something to do with rendering,
Same as that all cars are much slower online when compared to SP.

I'd disagree with that statement, because you can still get in a submarine and go all over the sea-floor, and everything renders just the same as it does in singleplayer. Same plant-life, same rock formations, same everything. Sure, they slow the car speeds down online, but that is truly a problem of moving too fast and the console not being able to keep up with the speed. When you're underwater, you're not going to be going 200 mph on the sea floor, and that's the point. 

BlackAce23
  • BlackAce23

The "Ambitious" One

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:46 PM

Wait is there even a submarine online?

kLAMIITY
  • kLAMIITY

Grotti God

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:47 PM

Rockstar could easily do something along the lines of a crate drop, except it's lying at the bottom of the sea, and the reward for getting it would be greater than the regular crates. 

This is a great idea !     Sign the man up

M0B5TA
  • M0B5TA

#swag yolo lolz

• Members

because underwater knife fights would be fun and we might get banned by Rockstar for having fun.

• saintsrow likes this

serimos6
  • serimos6

Hustler

• Members

Wait is there even a submarine online?

Yeah there's 3, they are located at various points south of Los Santos near the dock areas.

Nakura
  • Nakura

Brown-eyed Optimist

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:48 PM

People would abuse it when they get bounties.

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States
  • Second Best Alien

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:49 PM

Then you grab your knife, scuba gear and cut a hole in their defense.

• Nakura likes this

serimos6
  • serimos6

Hustler

• Members

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:52 PM

Then other players could grab their scuba gear and go after them! I mean, they already "abuse" bounties by hanging out in their apartment.

Nakura
  • Nakura

Brown-eyed Optimist

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:53 PM

Then other players could grab their scuba gear and go after them! I mean, they already "abuse" bounties by hanging out in their apartment.

The timer doesn't go down when you are in your apartment

chriiis125
  • chriiis125

Meat Shield

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:55 PM

There's no good reason, honestly. Just another nice thing from SP that was cut from Online.

fish61324
  • fish61324

Soldier

• Members

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:56 PM

3 submarines?? I only know of the regular yellow one from SP being online, what are the other two?

I do agree with you though.  R* promised an underwater world of things to explore and do and did not deliver..... but then again there is an endless list of things that R* has promised and failed to deliver on with this game.

What they really need, and I do not know the name of the things, are those things you hold in your hand and they propel you forward while you're underwater.

TheStalked
  • TheStalked

ayy lmao

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:56 PM

The new outfits section kind of implies that we'll start getting 'special' outfits eventually since it doesn't really make sense that it's there. Although I don't know if they will be functional.

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States
  • Second Best Alien

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:57 PM

3 submarines?? I only know of the regular yellow one from SP being online, what are the other two?

I do agree with you though.  R* promised an underwater world of things to explore and do and did not deliver..... but then again there is an endless list of things that R* has promised and failed to deliver on with this game.

What they really need, and I do not know the name of the things, are those things you hold in your hand and they propel you forward while you're underwater.

Underwater Hand-held Propulsion Device or UHPD.

• fish61324 likes this

chriiis125
  • chriiis125

Meat Shield

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:59 PM

Nah, he meant 3 sub spawns. One at the canals, another in MW's dock building and the last is at the dock Michael buys in SP.

TwisterVictor1
  • TwisterVictor1

Agent Zero

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:59 PM

Those are diver propulsion vehicles.

serimos6
  • serimos6

Hustler

• Members

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:07 PM

Another great idea. I think rockstar should just hire some of its community to take over the reigns of DLC content release, because what they have come up with so far is just lack-luster. Sure, i have 3 newer, cool cars in my garage because of it, but that's not really making a new experience in GTA V, just the same old experience with a different toy to use.

As far as brainstorming for underwater items/vehicles, an underwater handheld propeller device would be amazing. It could have an underwater search light on the end of it that you turn on/off just like how you turn a cars lights on and off, and they could be attached to the back of the submarine, under the base of it. So when you climb out of the sub's hatch with your scuba gear, you just dive under the sub, press Y or Triangle, and he removes the UHPD from the bottom and you can use it.

Also, another cool addition would be the harpoon, for both attacking players underwater and defending yourself against sharks. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users