» «
Photo

Favourite animated films

25 replies to this topic
Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:41 AM Edited by SonOfLiberty, 19 March 2014 - 04:48 AM.

Hey guys.

Even though I'm in my late 20s I still like watching animated films so what are some of your favourites?

Today I picked up the 70th anniversary edition of Dumbo. I remember watching it all the time as a kid and it had been about 20 years since the last time I watched it. Watching it brought back so many childhood memories and even after all that time It felt like it hadn't been 20 years since the last time I saw it. Definitely one of my favourite childhood animated films. The Lion King is another I would love to try and find.

As for modern I quite like the Toy Story series, Wreck It Ralph, Hotel Transylvania, Cars 1/2, Monsters Inc/University etc.

Please share some of yours.:)
  • Wu-Tang Forever likes this

Kiffster
  • Kiffster

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:06 AM Edited by Werebot85, 25 March 2014 - 03:05 PM.

Well, I'm also in my late 20s, but I still watch animated movies once in a while.

Some of my favourite childhood movies are Aladdin, The Lion King, and later, The Prince of Egypt (it was epic). One thing I've always hated about these animated movies, is when they start singing. Don't know why they always have to sing. Anyway, I've watched every Pixar movie, and most of them are good like the Toy Story trilogy, Incredibles, Ratatouille, Wall-E and Up (Hated Cars btw, it was stupid).

I also love the Shrek series, Kung Fu Panda, Ice Age, Rango and Spielberg's Tintin.

And of course I have to mention The Simpsons- as well as the four Futurama movies.

Can't think of anything else at the moment.

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:27 AM

I love animated movies my top 15 (it was going to be 5 but I couldn't stop.)

1. Fantastic Mr Fox

2. The Jungle Book

3. Monsters Inc

4. The Road to El Dorado

5. Spirited Away

6. Toy Story

7. Chicken Run

8. Tarzan

9.  Aladdin

10. Mulan

11. Beauty & The Beast

12. Rango

13. The King of Pigs

14. The Simpsons Movie

15. Shrek

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Big Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:50 AM

Most Pixar films, really. Finding Nemo and Monsters Inc. come to mind. 

I also love The Land Before Time, Lilo and Stitch, Wreck it Ralph and Iron Giant. 

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Gangsta

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:07 AM

I can't believe I'm the first to mention Akira.  I think it's the best animated film ever made.

• ClaudeSpeed1911, Danz. and Halal Cyborg like this

Mr Rabbit
  • Mr Rabbit

Part-time spy, full-time maniac

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:17 AM

If you count the lego movie, then that, it is kinda cartoony with live action thrown in.

If you're gonna be picky then basically amny things by Pixar, the shrek series and many things by old school Disney. Like Dumbo and  Aladdin. 

Danz.
  • Danz.

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:10 PM

Akira.

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

Infinite Diversity, Infinite Combinations

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
  • Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2016
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2014
    Second Best Alien

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:41 PM

I can't believe I'm the first to mention Akira.  I think it's the best animated film ever made.

I was headed that direction, as well as Ninja Scroll.

And don't mock me, but the Last Unicorn.  Damn you RED BULL!!!!!!

Abel.
  • Abel.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Most Missed 2016

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:29 PM Edited by elanman, 08 April 2014 - 07:29 PM.

Heavy Metal:

I did really enjoy Toy Story and Ice Age as a kid, though. 

Not really into animated films now. 

• El Diablo and AlienTwo like this

Crazyeighties
  • Crazyeighties

Your self proclaimed GTA forums DJ!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:13 AM

I really enjoy Wallace and Gromit, and Chicken Run. Nick Park and Peter Lord are pure genius's

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 24 December 2016 - 01:15 PM

Just to bump this thread up again because it's been a couple of years since it was made, but I have some more to add that have since been released.

I really enjoyed Inside Out, The Secret Life Of Pets and I've just seen Trolls..

Trolls spoiler.

Spoiler

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 24 December 2016 - 05:36 PM

Almost everything made by Pixar, my personal fave is Toy Story.
  • Algonquin Assassin and Ivan1997GTA like this

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 25 December 2016 - 02:14 AM

Damn I must be so jaded, I can't even remember any animated movie I really enjoyed. It doesn't help that most are made for kids and that always limits the contents and presentation.

So maybe I could mention something from the other front: Animal Farm (1954 version, I think). You know, based on Orwell's novel. Not a kids movie. I also remember watching Little Prince some two decades ago, tho I'm not sure what format it was (i.e. movie, short movie or series). I did love it at the time however, just like the book.

I suppose Madoka Magica could count too - while I like the TV show variant more, the movies are amazing as well.

I need to watch Watership Down one day.

• Ivan1997GTA likes this

Halal Cyborg
  • Halal Cyborg

Junglist

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 December 2016 - 02:41 AM

Perfect Blue...
  • ClaudeSpeed1911 likes this

GTA-Biker
  • GTA-Biker

Let's Rock

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 25 December 2016 - 06:27 PM

There's a lot of animated movies that I like,mostly classic Disney movies,but some others as well.In no particular order:101 Dalmatians (and the direct to video sequel), Lady And The Tramp, The Jungle Book, Robin Hood (Disney movie), The Lion King (and the first sequel), Lilo and Stitch, The Land Before Time (and the sequels), The Simpsons Movie, Turtles Forever, Dinosaur (2000 Disney movie), Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Ice Age, first two Shrek movies, Shark Tale, Madagascar, Megamind...

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 26 December 2016 - 12:11 AM

I can't even remember any animated movie I really enjoyed. It doesn't help that most are made for kids

you should make it a point to go out of your way and watch animated films.

the medium of animation has gotten a crude reputation as being something that caters to children but there's plenty of great animated movies that were made with mature storylines and adult viewers in mind. just do a quick search.

start shallow.

have you heard of Akira or Ghost in the Shell? Hollywood is about to remake Ghost in the Shell with a live-action cast and an American spin... but the original is a landmark, groundbreaking masterpiece of storytelling and effects with intensely philosophical themes. the same can be said of Akira albeit it's less philosophical and more apocalyptic.

• Halal Cyborg and Ivan1997GTA like this

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

ILL SWALLOW YOUR SOUL

• The Yardies
  • None
  • 2nd Prettiest Snowflake 2017
    Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 26 December 2016 - 12:40 AM

The feels on the intro of Up:

There's plenty of others i love like The Iron Giant, Toy Story trilogy, finding Nemo etc
  • Ivan1997GTA likes this

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Scavenger

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:36 AM

Well, thanks for reminding me that one of these days I really have to finally see Inside Out.

My favorites though? Apart from the obvious answers other people in this thread have already mentioned, I could bring up the Asterix films. The first five movies or so are absolute classics.

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 26 December 2016 - 05:10 PM Edited by RogerWho, 26 December 2016 - 05:11 PM.

you should make it a point to go out of your way and watch animated films.

It's not that I don't watch them, I do, sometimes. But the American production really is mostly for kids even though they try to mix it up somewhat (like the Pixar stuff) and thus I usually find it shallow. I mean, say, Wall-E had a really great premise but the movie itself just didn't fulfill its potential IMO.

And anime isn't generally my thing, at least not the movies. I understand why Ghost in the Shell or Akira are so legendary (at least GitS; seen Akira twice but can't remember any of it) but I still don't think they are half as good as Dark City for example. Maybe it they weren't condensed into movies I'd like them more since I think anime is at its best as 10+ hour series. Madoka Magica is among my favorite TV/movie works and I like the series more than the movie version. And there are other anime series I really like too, generally the more serious and less wacky ones.

Then again, Animatrix was the best of all things Matrix, but again, it felt like it had unfulfilled potential that could have been explored in longer series.

But I'm gonna check out Perfect Blue that was mentioned here.

The European stuff I've seen is too weird for me and the Russian ones... Yea, I'm too young to be that depressed, thanks.

RANDOMv2
  • RANDOMv2

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 December 2016 - 08:43 PM Edited by RANDOMv2, 27 December 2016 - 08:43 PM.

I'll be very surprised if anyone knows these:

Rock & Rule

Starchaser: The Legend of Orin

Watership Down

Ninja Scoll

Wicked City

Winds of Change

Animalympics

gtaoplayer
  • gtaoplayer

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:13 PM

Flashpoint Paradox

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:45 PM

never heard of any of those.

I guess you win the Ultimate Hipster challenge.

speaking of animated films for adults, has anyone ever seen Wizards?

this sh/t was released in the 70s.

and it's done in the style of Western animation (as opposed to the distinctive Japanime). it combines live-action footage and cinematography with the animated narrative. it's a very cool and very original concept in what was otherwise kind of a sea of conformity at the time.

SerranitaMods
  • SerranitaMods

Hanako's the best grilled girl

• Members
  • Chile

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:07 AM

My favorite animated movie would be End Of Evangelion. Obviously you wouldn't understand it if you haven't watched Eva, but if you did, then you would enjoy it.
Also, i really need to watch Akira...

It's not that I don't watch them, I do, sometimes. But the American production really is mostly for kids even though they try to mix it up somewhat (like the Pixar stuff) and thus I usually find it shallow. I mean, say, Wall-E had a really great premise but the movie itself just didn't fulfill its potential IMO.

And anime isn't generally my thing, at least not the movies. I understand why Ghost in the Shell or Akira are so legendary (at least GitS; seen Akira twice but can't remember any of it) but I still don't think they are half as good as Dark City for example. Maybe it they weren't condensed into movies I'd like them more since I think anime is at its best as 10+ hour series. Madoka Magica is among my favorite TV/movie works and I like the series more than the movie version. And there are other anime series I really like too, generally the more serious and less wacky ones.

Then again, Animatrix was the best of all things Matrix, but again, it felt like it had unfulfilled potential that could have been explored in longer series.

But I'm gonna check out Perfect Blue that was mentioned here.

The European stuff I've seen is too weird for me and the Russian ones... Yea, I'm too young to be that depressed, thanks.

Your post made me remind one thing :
I HAVE TO FINISH MADOKA MAGICAAAAAAA

Dr. John
  • Dr. John

.. - .----. ... / .- / .--. .-. .- -. -.- .-.-.-

• Members
  • India

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:36 AM

If you guys don't know this guy, then I pity you:

220px-Hayao_Miyazaki.jpg

Almost nobody mentioned Studio Ghibli and their amazing titles such as "Spirited Away", "Castle in the Sky" and "Princess Mononeko". Go watch these movies. They are a must watch before you die.

Well keeping aside Studio Ghibli and Hayao Miyazaki, we have another personality who just rocked box office last year with his movie "Your Name": Makoto Shinkai

He made few of my favorite anime movie such as "5 Centimeters Per Second" and "The Garden of Words". They are all Slice of Life and heartwarming. I won't say his movies are as complex as Ghost in Shell, etc but the beautiful animations themself are a treat to the eyes.

I personally like more Japanese Anime movies than Western Animations. They feel mature and at the same time give me tons of entertaining moments. But I still have some favourites such as "Toy Story", "Chicken Little" and "Ratatouille". You could even say Pixar is the Studio Ghibli of Hollywood for me.

• Ivan1997GTA likes this

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:36 AM Edited by RogerWho, 02 January 2017 - 11:42 AM.

Rock & Rule

Starchaser: The Legend of Orin

Watership Down

Ninja Scoll

Wicked City

Winds of Change

Animalympics

I've heard of all of them - at least I think so, not sure which 'Winds of Change' you mean since there were tons of films with that name, I know of an old one from the 40's or so. Although I've never seen any of them.

Watership Down is pretty well known I think. This is one which I've planned to watch for the last decade or so but never have the nerve somehow. I know it's pretty upsetting so I don't know if I shall watch it when I'm depressed, or joly, or when I feel like watching something deep or something else. (I mentioned it in my first post so I'm not making it up :p)

Almost nobody mentioned Studio Ghibli and their amazing titles such as "Spirited Away", "Castle in the Sky" and "Princess Mononeko". Go watch these movies. They are a must watch before you die.
Those are some special movies. Spirited Away was my first ever DVD I bought with my own money (and it wasn't easy hunting it down at the time). Buuuut as special as it is, honestly I have to admit I don't like it all that much at the end. Something similar is going on with Mononoke. When I first saw it, I thought it's the best thing ever but I can't enjoy it all that much anymore. Not sure why that is. Tho I haven't seen it in a while, maybe I should take a look again.

As a side note, I watched The Wind Rises not long ago. That was quite nice though didn't make a lasting impression on me. In fact I was mistaking the plot with The Eternal Zero. Yea I'm stupid. It would be interesting how a combination of those 2 would pan out.

Your post made me remind one thing :

I HAVE TO FINISH MADOKA MAGICAAAAAAA

How can someone start watching Madoka Magica and not finish it?

Wu-Tang Forever
  • Wu-Tang Forever

Since I'm not popular, I'll post on a video game forum

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:47 PM Edited by BenMitchell90, 05 January 2017 - 08:49 PM.

I love animated films (and cartoons in general) too! Here are my faves

* So many Disney films... my standouts are Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Tarzan, Wreck-It Ralph and Frozen (as overplayed and over-saturated as it has become). I even have a huge soft spot for Pocahontas (gets shot), yeah it bent history over a table and had its way with it, but it looks and sounds amazing.

* Practically any Pixar film except the Cars ones, Brave and The Good Dinosaur (I can't speak on the latter two because I haven't seen them yet)

* The Iron Giant

* The Land Before Time

* The Prince of Egypt

* The Road to El Dorado

*  Watership Down

* Shrek 1 and 2 and Puss in Boots

* Hotel Transylvania 1 and 2

* Chicken Run

* The Simpsons Movie

* The Secret Life of Pets (god does NYC look gorgeous in this movie, it made me want to fire up GTA IV, haha)

* Coraline

And of course, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. Even after the Nolan trilogy (which I love love love), if this isn't the best Batman movie ever made, it's a worthy contender for the title.

• Algonquin Assassin and HaythamKenway like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users