Sony's VR Headset Announcement

96 replies to this topic
kipakolonyasi
  • kipakolonyasi

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:43 PM

one thing i know is these things are going to be a nightmare for developers.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:47 PM

Well of course it is, only in the beginning. This isn't the same as consoles. But no way is it going to be harder than working with the cell architecture in the PS3, that was a true nightmare, although the outcome was completely the opposite.

kipakolonyasi
  • kipakolonyasi

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:28 PM

^there's oculus rift, there's sony's vr headset and microsoft announced they are working on one for the xbox one too. this means there ain't going to be a standard. this will cause a problem. they should've been agreed on one architecture. but probably what's going to happen is one of them will take off and others are going to die out. and that's either oculus rift or sony.

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:33 PM

^there's oculus rift, there's sony's vr headset and microsoft announced they are working on one for the xbox one too. this means there ain't going to be a standard. this will cause a problem. they should've been agreed on one architecture. but probably what's going to happen is one of them will take off and others are going to die out. and that's either oculus rift or sony.

IIRC oculus, sony and a few others (possibly microsoft) have grouped together to make a standard for VR.

In any case, I'm betting on oculus being the standard, simply because it's the most known one so far, and seems to be furthest in development. 

kipakolonyasi
  • kipakolonyasi

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:39 PM

IIRC oculus, sony and a few others (possibly microsoft) have grouped together to make a standard for VR.

In any case, I'm betting on oculus being the standard, simply because it's the most known one so far, and seems to be furthest in development. 

i didn't know that yeah that's a good thing if they did that.

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:48 AM

one thing i know is these things are going to be a nightmare for developers.

Well of course it is, only in the beginning. This isn't the same as consoles. But no way is it going to be harder than working with the cell architecture in the PS3, that was a true nightmare, although the outcome was completely the opposite.

Technically not, people just changed a few settings in Skyrim and got the Rift to work decently well. So I'm sure its easier than we think to get it developed correctly.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:44 AM

Yeah it's not that tricky. The benefit for developers of the PS4 thingy is that they only have the one piece of technology to worry about. For the rift, wrappers and all sort of workarounds need to be written.

Chrome_Adderz
  • Chrome_Adderz

☆☆☆☆☆

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:34 AM

I don't really think the PS4 and XBone could deliver the best VR experience this gen.

I mean, those VR headset's MIGHT cut their rendering horsepower into half and then we're back to PS360 graphics...

Hence, I'm expecting this "VR war" to go full power NEXT-GEN, with the PS5/X69 being 20x stronger than this gen's consoles.

Imagine playing GTA 6 and seeing "VR support - OFF" in the menu. You ignore it, and just play the game not worrying about that feature. Everything is lifelike, from the polycount, ped and traffic density, detail density, draw distance, detail draw distance, particles, animations, lighting, 1080p, 60fps...

And then, you try that feature for the first time with your VR headset. Your eyes start to hurt as GTA 6 is being rendered on 720p, 30fps with GTA 5-like graphics(improved just a bit).. All because of the VR needing approx. half of the console's horsepower.

And then it's the 9th gen. Sony is still leading the market with a $500 PS5 bundle, incl. "PS VR2", Dualshock 5, PS5 Camera. The console itself has two "extra" processing chips. One for the cloud/background, and one for the VR.

GTA 7 had been released. With Hollywood/CGI-like graphics, "" mechanics, "" animations...

And then, you look at the VR headset included in the Bundle. Still, worrying about it's usability.

After finding the "VR support" feature, you turn it ON. And POOF! Nothing has changed from the "4KTV output"!

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:43 AM

I don't really think the PS4 and XBone could deliver the best VR experience this gen.

I mean, those VR headset's MIGHT cut their rendering horsepower into half and then we're back to PS360 graphics...

Hence, I'm expecting this "VR war" to go full power NEXT-GEN, with the PS5/X69 being 20x stronger than this gen's consoles.

Imagine playing GTA 6 and seeing "VR support - OFF" in the menu. You ignore it, and just play the game not worrying about that feature. Everything is lifelike, from the polycount, ped and traffic density, detail density, draw distance, detail draw distance, particles, animations, lighting, 1080p, 60fps...

And then, you try that feature for the first time with your VR headset. Your eyes start to hurt as GTA 6 is being rendered on 720p, 30fps with GTA 5-like graphics(improved just a bit).. All because of the VR needing approx. half of the console's horsepower.

And then it's the 9th gen. Sony is still leading the market with a $500 PS5 bundle, incl. "PS VR2", Dualshock 5, PS5 Camera. The console itself has two "extra" processing chips. One for the cloud/background, and one for the VR.

GTA 7 had been released. With Hollywood/CGI-like graphics, "" mechanics, "" animations...

And then, you look at the VR headset included in the Bundle. Still, worrying about it's usability.

After finding the "VR support" feature, you turn it ON. And POOF! Nothing has changed from the "4KTV output"!

Stop pulling sh*t out of your ass and read the article. Make sure you do that next, otherwise you're making yourself look retarded. :^:

• Otter likes this

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

The fall is FAST and STEEP

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:52 AM Edited by DarthShinobi, 25 March 2014 - 07:55 AM.

Well I don't think this gen will last as long as last gen (5 years tops). You want a PS5 capable of gameplay at 4k, with the VR Headset, a camera and you want it all at $500? AND YOU WANT IT ROCKING TRI CPUs? You're insane. Sony would f*cking implode by doing that.

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:55 AM

Well I don't think this gen will last as long as last gen.(5 years tops), and you want a PS5 cable of gameplay at 4k, with the VR Headset, a camera and you want it all at $500? AND YOU WANT IT ROCKING TRI CPUs? You're insane.

Yea, the executives or someone said these consoles can last a decade. lolno

Maybe if they were more powerful than the last gen but not even close, considering they might not be able to produce 4k at any fps. Hell, I'd take 1620p games if anything.

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:58 AM Edited by DarthShinobi, 25 March 2014 - 07:59 AM.

Well I don't think this gen will last as long as last gen.(5 years tops), and you want a PS5 cable of gameplay at 4k, with the VR Headset, a camera and you want it all at $500? AND YOU WANT IT ROCKING TRI CPUs? You're insane.

Maybe if they were more powerful than the last gen but not even close, considering they might not be able to produce 4k at any fps. Hell, I'd take 1620p games if anything.
The 360/PS3 could last a decade as well, 3 more years and they would've. There's no learning curve for devs this time around, man. There's not a secret hidden power behind complex CPUs. Almost no custom parts. These things are almost laptops.

Chrome_Adderz
  • Chrome_Adderz

☆☆☆☆☆

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:19 AM

Stop pulling sh*t out of your ass and read the article. Make sure you do that next, otherwise you're making yourself look retarded. :^:

Nope. I'm not pulling it out of my ass. Of course, the VR headset MIGHT take up ~50% of the console's horsepower. It's "double-rendering", remember? But, who knows??

Nope. I'm not pulling it out of my ass. Of course, the VR headset MIGHT take up ~50% of the console's horsepower. It's "double-rendering", remember? But, who knows??

The 360/PS3 could last a decade as well, 3 more years and they would've. There's no learning curve for devs this time around, man. There's not a secret hidden power behind complex CPUs. Almost no custom parts. These things are almost laptops.

Well, I was just exaggerating, but let me get to the point. 1440p at 60fps is the closest thing we could get next-gen, together with much-improved graphics/physics.

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:39 AM

No, you still are. If you read the article, it'll be full 1080p. Plus, no I don't remember it being a 'double-render,' because it won't be. The displays will be split into two cameras and projected on the LCD screens inside the headset, instead of the one you see on your television. You know why? Because they have an A/V box that will split the signal and do you know how I know that? FROM THE ARTICLE.

See? READ.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:59 PM Edited by FranklinDeRoosevelt, 25 March 2014 - 12:59 PM.

PS4 and XB1 will last long. The games will look better slowly overtime, but not as much leaps will be taken like last gen. The important things are the games, there are going to be fantastic games this gen.

That is what matters mostly. GAMES.

Oh and:

http://www.polygon.c...ps4-pre-loading

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:13 PM

Back on the subject of VR.

http://www.polygon.c...us-vr-2-billion

what...?

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:21 PM Edited by FranklinDeRoosevelt, 25 March 2014 - 10:49 PM.

Eh? What the f*ck? Facebook bought Oculus?

RIP Oculus Rift. Zuckerberg will f*ck this up for sure.

Please Sony, you are the only one left now, obviously until M$ shows up.

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:39 PM Edited by DarthShinobi, 25 March 2014 - 11:15 PM.

Great, not a bad check, but what f*cking sell outs.

Notch just announced that Oculus Rift support for Minecraft has been cancelled.

Facebook >>>>>>>>>

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:21 PM Edited by RyanBurnsRed, 25 March 2014 - 11:25 PM.

I'm suddenly interested in Sony's VR now that Facebook bought Oculus. 

Here's hoping Sony finds it in their hearts to support PC games as well.

If not, I'm just gonna stick with TrackIR. It's not VR, but it gets the job done.

Btw, didn't they initially put Oculus on Kickstarter and have people fund for it? Now they sold out to Facebook. 

I wasn't a backer on this, but I feel those that were must be kicking themselves right about now. 

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:47 PM

2 billion dollars is not selling out - it's cashing out and they'd be complete f*cking idiots if they didn't do it. Seriously.

Minecraft works with the Rift even without whatever "plans" they had to "bring it to the rift". Kind of a shame that Notch is so publicly petulant about it.

I honestly can't believe the ignorant sh*t I've been reading about this. Facebook is a big stupid company but who the f*ck cares? I don't get it.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:59 AM

I didn't read the article, but I'm with Otter.  

I'm guessing the Oculus team is going to remain the team and there will just be some nice Facebook money helping the project along?

Imagine the pants that would have been shat if MS bought Oculus.

Since this is the Sony VR topic:

I hope that Sony pulls it off like they did with the Walkman in the 80's.  The knock off, no name brand, cheap ass rip-offs are going to be hilarious.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:08 AM

apparently Oculus is receiving flack from people who had recently placed preorders on the new DK2 and headset.

I guess they're just not happy with this business decision...

they're giving people time right now to cancel or revoke their latest preorders.

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:10 AM

apparently Oculus is receiving flack from people who had recently placed preorders on the new DK2 and headset.

I guess they're just not happy with this business decision...

they're giving people time right now to cancel or revoke their latest preorders.

http://www.pcgamer.c...-creeps-me-out/

They aren't the only ones not happy with this decision.

Dяno
  • Dяno

dolan pls

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:27 AM Edited by LilMcJohn, 26 March 2014 - 02:34 AM.

Many companies will not work Facebook and that is the sad part. First it's Notch, then it will be other gaming companies and we will lose so many potential future games. I have a PS4, but I was looking forward to minecraft. Yeah taking the 2 bil was stupid imo. They would have made more money in the future than just 2 bil because this would have been a game changer for the gaming age. They're just making more people buy PS4's now. R.I.P

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:58 AM

Billion dollar valuations are stupid and not sustainable. There's no way Oculus is worth a quarter of that. THAT is why it's the smartest decision in the world to take Zuck's money and RUN before Facebook finds a way to bench their CEO.

I don't understand the kick starter revolt, either. Contributing to kick starter does not make you a member of the board or anything like that. Ludicrous.

Remember, this is coming directly on the heels of an announcement by Sony, a leading interactive powerhouse, that they have their OWN version of the rift! It's not like the oculus is even proprietary!

Good on them, and like I said, it'll still work with any game with a little tinkering. I have to laugh at Notch's political posturing; if he were offered two billion for minecraft back when it was in alpha, he'd have forked it over immediately.

Chrome_Adderz
  • Chrome_Adderz

☆☆☆☆☆

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:12 AM

See? READ.

You can just act MATURE and ask "Which article have you gotten that from?" first instead of saying "READ! BECAUSE YOU CAN'T YOU ASIAN! ASIANS ARE POOR PEOPLE"

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:16 AM

Otter, meet left field. What the fuuuuuu*k?

Chrome_Adderz
  • Chrome_Adderz

☆☆☆☆☆

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:23 AM

@GTA3Rockstar

I was amazed by what you've said. I'm just wondering if they'll include that A/V box in the package.

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:31 AM

According to a person involved in the deal who was not allowed to speak publicly because he was not authorized by either company, Facebook eventually plans to redesign the Oculus hardware and rebrand it with a Facebook interface and logo.

http://www.nytimes.c...f=business&_r=2
Yay! I mean boooooo!

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:34 AM

See? READ.

You can just act MATURE and ask "Which article have you gotten that from?" first instead of saying "READ! BECAUSE YOU CAN'T YOU ASIAN! ASIANS ARE POOR PEOPLE"

Yea, because I said that. lol

@GTA3Rockstar

I was amazed by what you've said. I'm just wondering if they'll include that A/V box in the package.

Well, according to the article ;) that will be in the package. Otherwise they're going to shoot themselves in the foot.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users