Is GTA III worth getting?

14 replies to this topic
Eminem!
  • Eminem!

Mr Massacre

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:37 PM

First of all I know it only costs about £1.50 but I'm just wondering if there is any point in playing it nowadays.

I never really got the chance to play it before, I had it like 8 years ago but only played it once then it broke :( so it's the only GTA game I never really got the chance to play so should I get it? Also what platform should I get it on, PS2 or PC?

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:56 PM Edited by GTAKid667, 18 March 2014 - 04:56 PM.

GTA III is definitely worth getting in my opinion.

For the last few years I have classed my favourite one as being Grand Theft Auto III. It can be said that it revolutionized the videogame industry, and it defined the open world genre, especially when you look at the Top Selling Games from 2001 – I don’t believe that many of them are on nearly the same level as this game, that is just my opinion, I’m sure that people will disagree.

But Grand Theft Auto III doesn’t earn that favourite spot due to its sales or the way that it revolutionized the videogame industry but for the quality of the game and all the memories I had with it since I first played it almost a decade ago.

The game has a good story to it, in which "You've been betrayed and left for dead. Now you're taking revenge, unless the city gets you first. Mob Bosses need a favour, crooked cops need help and street gangs want you dead. You'll have to rob, steal and kill just to stay out of serious trouble. Anything can happen out there" (Taken from the back of a PS2 Case). The characters are well portrayed and the missions are varied and certainly fun at times.

Things to note, in terms of what 'isn't so good' about the game:
  • You have to remember that this game was created in 2001 and have to blank out the later GTA games, or else I don't think you will find it as enjoyable, as many features in the later GTA games (Especially V) do not appear in this game, and so some could say it is pretty 'basic'.
  • While the missions can be fun and varied, they are quite short and some have quite similar objectives and may be found repetitive.
  • There are quite a few parts of the game is extremely unrealistic ( Though I like that :p ).

I can't think of anything else at the moment, but I'm sure there are other points.

In short, GTA III is definitely worth getting in my opinion. In terms of the platform, I think you should go for PC, as there are many advantages such as the graphics (PS2 can look pixelated as it wasn't made for the size of today's monitors/screens - It's a 13 year old game), the replay feature, the ability to easily share and download save files, the custom mp3 track system and there are modifications you can download for it, if you so wish to.   :^:

• gnad.1992, lol232, RazorRain and 3 others like this

Eminem!
  • Eminem!

Mr Massacre

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:08 PM

For the last few years I have classed my favourite one as being Grand Theft Auto III. It can be said that it revolutionized the videogame industry, and it defined the open world genre, especially when you look at the Top Selling Games from 2001 – I don’t believe that many of them are on nearly the same level as this game, that is just my opinion, I’m sure that people will disagree.

But Grand Theft Auto III doesn’t earn that favourite spot due to its sales or the way that it revolutionized the videogame industry but for the quality of the game and all the memories I had with it since I first played it almost a decade ago.

The game has a good story to it, in which "You've been betrayed and left for dead. Now you're taking revenge, unless the city gets you first. Mob Bosses need a favour, crooked cops need help and street gangs want you dead. You'll have to rob, steal and kill just to stay out of serious trouble. Anything can happen out there" (Taken from the back of a PS2 Case). The characters are well portrayed and the missions are varied and certainly fun at times.

• You have to remember that this game was created in 2001 and have to blank out the later GTA games, or else I don't think you will find it as enjoyable, as many features in the later GTA games (Especially V) do not appear in this game, and so some could say it is pretty 'basic'.
  • While the missions can be fun and varied, they are quite short and some have quite similar objectives and may be found repetitive.
  • There are quite a few parts of the game is extremely unrealistic ( Though I like that :p ).

I can't think of anything else at the moment, but I'm sure there are other points.

In short, GTA III is definitely worth getting in my opinion. In terms of the platform, I think you should go for PC, as there are many advantages such as the graphics (PS2 can look pixelated as it wasn't made for the size of today's monitors/screens - It's a 13 year old game), the replay feature, the ability to easily share and download save files, the custom mp3 track system and there are modifications you can download for it, if you so wish to.   :^:

Thanks for this, really helpful showing advantages and disadvantages. One more question though if I was to buy it on PC would you recommend buying it off Steam or getting a disc?

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:15 PM

I would personally recommend the disc version, like I have.

From experience of browsing this area of the forum for the last year or so, it seems to me that the steam version has a lot more problems than the disc version (From the topics in the Troubleshooting section) though this may be a bad justification as I have known quite a few members of this forum with working steam copies that have had no issues.

Either way, I don't think it matters, but would go for the disc version for the reason I stated above.

Eminem!
  • Eminem!

Mr Massacre

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:21 PM

I would personally recommend the disc version, like I have.

From experience of browsing this area of the forum for the last year or so, it seems to me that the steam version has a lot more problems than the disc version (From the topics in the Troubleshooting section) though this may be a bad justification as I have known quite a few members of this forum with working steam copies that have had no issues.

Either way, I don't think it matters, but would go for the disc version for the reason I stated above

I'll go for the disc then, thanks for the help  :D

• GTAKid667 likes this

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

Have no fear, Olek is here! Mwahahaha...

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:26 PM

Very, very, very, very worth getting. I never regret playing this masterpiece of a game. IV is still better, III will always have a special place in my heart.

drr26
  • drr26

But I'm a f*cking raspberry!

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

Buy it. A legend of a game

xNCx
  • xNCx

VCMP beta tester

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:33 PM

It depends what games have you actually played and what games do you like. For example, if you think GTA 4 is an amazing game - don't buy GTA 3.

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

Have no fear, Olek is here! Mwahahaha...

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:03 PM

It depends what games have you actually played and what games do you like. For example, if you think GTA 4 is an amazing game - don't buy GTA 3.

Wrong. I love both of them ;)

Pastry
  • Pastry

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:06 PM

What he said :D.

Budweiser Addict
  • Budweiser Addict

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:15 PM Edited by Niko Vercetti 112, 20 March 2014 - 12:19 PM.

Really depends. If you're more of a SA/V person don't even bother, you'll simply think that it's a waste of you time and whoping £1.50. If you're more of a VC/IV person you'll definitley like it.

Like everybody else said, it doesn't have all these features that GTAs since then have, but is non the less tied with IV as my favourite in the series.
  • Jeansowaty and Pastry like this

lol232
  • lol232

Got room for one more?

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:54 PM

I'd recommend getting the Steam version as it has some bug fixes and improved vehicle headlights.

gnad.1992
  • gnad.1992

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:04 AM Edited by gnad.1992, 21 March 2014 - 12:04 AM.

Hell yes its worth

I remember playing it with my cousins, 12 or 11 years ago. It was revolutionary.

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The Harwood Butcher

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:41 AM

I don't see why you shouldn't buy it. Despite its age I still think it's a great game. I would honestly rather play it than SA or GTA V.

Yeah. GTA games don't need huge maps and a ton of (sometimes crappy and pointless features) to be fun.

• GTAKid667, Johan and Raiden雷電 like this

Indy007
  • Indy007

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:33 PM

GTA III is the one that started it all. It was a breakthrough at the time and it set the stone for what was to come. I say, get it! Especially since it's cheap!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users