I tried everything that this says, and it still "freezes". I deleted the auto save, which I thought worked, until I went to frankins garage, and it wouldn't load. It would get stuck on the loading screen with the circle rotating in the corner. It freezes during other games also. Should i take my console in to be looked at?
Before spending (or even wasting) any money on a check, I would try something else, just to make sure the hardware is alright:
Load up any save game you have (you actually don't even need one) and then try re-playing the Prologue mission. When I had that issue, this particular mission has not caused ANY problems...
The fact that your PS3 freezes during other games also is a little worrying... if you tried to restore the file system or even perform a factory restore (complete reset, all data deleted), it might be a hardware issue, there's still hope though!
does it take a certain time for the PS3 to freeze or is it completely random?
- It COULD be an overheating issue... -> but that would be weird since GTA V gets stuck in the loading screen, so it actually still works... if the console overheats, it just stops pretty much all actions.
- Did you notice any different noises before and during the freezes? -> could be damaged disc drive or HDD
this part now is not very important as the chances of fixing anything are too low
- There is a fan test for the PS3. It makes all fans run at full speed, sometimes it helps removing some dust which might cause overheating... but that is not very likely... If THIS actually fixes your console, you must have been very unlucky it's still worth a try if you want to avoid some extra costs:
for ps3 fat:
- shut down the ps3.
- unplug everything but the power cable.
- press the power off switch on the back of the console (so that the red lamp goes off)
- hold your finger on the eject "button" and then turn on the console by pressing the switch on the back of the console, keep your finger on the eject "button" until you hear the fans go crazy.
for ps3 slim:
- shut down the ps3.
- unplug everything
- press and hold the eject button and turn on the console by plugging in the power cable. Keep the eject button pressed until you hear the fans go crazy.
The fans will work at full speed for a couple seconds, the console will shut down automatically when it's finished. It sounds like if your PS3 is about to take off but don't worry
Note: I've read that this could harm the console, I don't believe this though. For safe use, just make sure your console is totally cool before doing this.
If you are not sure about my text tutorial, just search ps3 fat fan test or ps3 slim fan test, it's easy.