39 replies to this topic
Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Big Homie

• Members
  • Romania
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:24 AM

I should have made the topic title 'Do you let game reviews impact your decision' because I myself still watch them to get an idea about what a game is about, but I don't let them impact my choice to buy a game or not, I stopped doing that entirety (I never did it fully) after I saw this.
I like to watch Angry Joe's reviews because sometimes because they are funny, but at the end of the day, he is another mainstream critic sadly (he gave Mass Effect 2 a 9 and then only gave Sleeping Dogs a 6 saying it was average and nothing special for example).

I find that with Angry Joe, the score doesn't tell everything. Listen to what he says, as he dissects the game almost entirely. In his recent Ground Zeroes review, he gave the game a 5 out of 10. Why? Poor length. He says what his says, and I find myself mostly agreeing with him. And let's face it, Sleeping Dogs wasn't anything groundbreaking. That game's mechanics and gameplay was average. Nothing bad, nothing good.
If I played Ground Zeros (I'm never playing another MGS, Kojima's cash grabbing has gone too far) I would have scored it the same for the same reasons, I thought the very little gameplay in MGS4 was great but I can't give it anything over a 6/10 due a very short length (4 hours) and cash grabbing multiplayer.
And I though Sleeping Dogs had the best combat out of any open world game and the setting was both unique (finally a sandbox game set outside of the USA) and lively, Mass Effect 2 on the other hand was nothing special and I'm sure no one can say it is without mentioning the words (or any similar words for that matter) 'story' or 'characters'.

Just an advice - when you review a game like Sleeping Dogs, you don't generally compare it to other games in the same genre. You look at it from a general point of view. Of course, it has the good fighting and such, but it's good compared to the other open-world games. There are quite a lot of games with better combat than Sleeping Dogs.

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

By: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:59 AM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 23 March 2014 - 12:11 PM.

Th3MaN1
First time i just bought the game i called it "GTA in Hong Kong" Lol...tbh Angry Joe's review for that game was how i personally will review it..imo the game doesnt have nothing ORIGINAL except the Environment kills (was fun for a while then became too repetitive) the game's driving system was SO wonky i had alot of headache,even top-down games have stable cameras,then the game now rip-off many things from;GTA+AC+Max Payne+Batman+Just Cause...Lol the city (dont even get me started on that) then you have a tv in your safehouse you couldnt watch or interact with except for the CCTV drug-burst even GTAO did it 100x better (i.e. you can be in you apartment and can check the CCTV that around the apartment which is real-time plus you can watch news of other players getting chased etc.) the mini-games are just f*cking mediocre and generic,you cant fast travel (and they are many taxis around the city) or neither can you fly a helicopter even though the city is too small for flying planes.you have a phone (yeah better than SR's Pause the Game to access) but you cant change the ringtone or customise it,nor can you use it to call friends to hang out with...But the Game trashes every Saints Row games (except for maybe SR2),it has a great cover system and gun mechanics,plus the fighting is SO fun but like i said before gets repetitive.

overall i would rate the game a 7.5/10.

fun fact:The game was developed by UFG a studio made up of former Rockstar,Volition (SR makers) and Ubisoft employees :)

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Harwood Butcher

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:18 PM

Call Of Jaurez: The Cartel was rated poorly, but I thought it was better than what it was rated (generally) so no. I don't really listen to them or necessarily believe they're an accurate indicative of the game's quality.

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Big Homie

• Members
  • Romania
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:32 PM

Call Of Jaurez: The Cartel was rated poorly, but I thought it was better than what it was rated (generally) so no. I don't really listen to them or necessarily believe they're an accurate indicative of the game's quality.

I've been wondering, and without talking about bribing and stuff, I think one of the reasons a critic's opinion is mostly wrong is because they speed through the game without appreciating more of what the game has to offer.

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:41 PM

Yes cause they give you a basic idea in what the game is about. 

I believe them more than any random stranger that says good or bad things about the game. 

Most you love the game are the fanboys and most that hate on the game are the haters.

You go in lets say this forum and say one bad thing about V you will get all the angry 12 year olds yelling at you. Same can be said about any forum. 

MrHAZ3
  • MrHAZ3

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:06 PM

I don't listen to IGN because they are full of Sh*t when it comes to reviews. The only one i look at is gamespot.

PhilosophicalZebra
  • PhilosophicalZebra

Eh.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:02 PM

Th3MaN1
First time i just bought the game i called it "GTA in Hong Kong" Lol...tbh Angry Joe's review for that game was how i personally will review it..imo the game doesnt have nothing ORIGINAL except the Environment kills (was fun for a while then became too repetitive) the game's driving system was SO wonky i had alot of headache,even top-down games have stable cameras,then the game now rip-off many things from;GTA+AC+Max Payne+Batman+Just Cause...Lol the city (dont even get me started on that) then you have a tv in your safehouse you couldnt watch or interact with except for the CCTV drug-burst even GTAO did it 100x better (i.e. you can be in you apartment and can check the CCTV that around the apartment which is real-time plus you can watch news of other players getting chased etc.) the mini-games are just f*cking mediocre and generic,you cant fast travel (and they are many taxis around the city) or neither can you fly a helicopter even though the city is too small for flying planes.you have a phone (yeah better than SR's Pause the Game to access) but you cant change the ringtone or customise it,nor can you use it to call friends to hang out with...But the Game trashes every Saints Row games (except for maybe SR2),it has a great cover system and gun mechanics,plus the fighting is SO fun but like i said before gets repetitive.

fun fact:The game was developed by UFG a studio made up of former Rockstar,Volition (SR makers) and Ubisoft employees :)

Since you're going on a full-on rant about the game, I would like you to get started on the city. What's your problem with it?

Also, you can indeed use taxis.

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

By: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:56 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 23 March 2014 - 08:56 PM.

Th3MaN1

Since you're going on a full-on rant about the game, I would like you to get started on the city. What's your problem with it?

Also, you can indeed use taxis.
nevermind i dont want to say with that.Lol i didnt know we could use taxis as a mean of fast travel :O,and i tried to hailing a cab like in GTA but unfortunately we couldnt :(...But it good to here we could unfortunately i have trade the game in since december/january..but i aint ranting i am just giving my honest review :).

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

If anyone is wondering why I don't post anymore, it's be

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:17 PM

Th3MaN1

While I disagree, the point i'm trying to make is that critics will go around and say that a game like Sleeping Dogs is nothing special, but then they will praise a game like Mass Effect 2 which is nothing special, and I doubt anyone can say it is without using the words 'story' or 'characters'.

albanyave
  • albanyave

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:30 PM

I do listen to game reviews only as a guide to make me pay more attention to the game that I want.  In the end, I will reassess and make a decision based on my own feelings.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users