FIxing Lag issues/Connection Timeouts

164 replies to this topic
FicZGB
  • FicZGB

Crackhead

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:49 PM

I will say though even if you have a slow connection you will never jerk around on your own screen but will on everyone elses.  that this game is peer to peer so even if you have a fast connection,the other person might have a slow connection and be causing the problem.   but if you have at least a 1Mbps connection that is only being used for this game and a ping of under 100ms to the people you are playing with then that should be more than enough to play lag free.  if you have a 1Mbps connection and someone else is using it to stream netflix or download torrents, then its likely not fast enough to support both that and gaming at the same time.  and if playing with people on the other side of the world it doesnt matter if you have a 500Mbps connection, cause the distance increases the latency to 150-300ms if they also have good connections usually.  from usa to europe is around 100-150 and from usa to australia is around 300.  the game is still playable but around 100ms is where you start having problems with things happening like you shooting them first, but them killing you.  ive had people fall down dead on my screen but then due to latency they get back up and kill me, it all depends on which console in the group is acting as host, cause one of them keeps track of whats going on and decides disputes with the lag issue, whoever closer with a faster connection to the host wins.

I have a minimum of 6 Mbps download and upload is usually around 700 Kbps, maximum 1 Mbps, is that enough (NAT type is 2 btw) ?  And how to test ping on the PS3 ??

sultangris
  • sultangris

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:17 AM

I will say though even if you have a slow connection you will never jerk around on your own screen but will on everyone elses.  that this game is peer to peer so even if you have a fast connection,the other person might have a slow connection and be causing the problem.   but if you have at least a 1Mbps connection that is only being used for this game and a ping of under 100ms to the people you are playing with then that should be more than enough to play lag free.  if you have a 1Mbps connection and someone else is using it to stream netflix or download torrents, then its likely not fast enough to support both that and gaming at the same time.  and if playing with people on the other side of the world it doesnt matter if you have a 500Mbps connection, cause the distance increases the latency to 150-300ms if they also have good connections usually.  from usa to europe is around 100-150 and from usa to australia is around 300.  the game is still playable but around 100ms is where you start having problems with things happening like you shooting them first, but them killing you.  ive had people fall down dead on my screen but then due to latency they get back up and kill me, it all depends on which console in the group is acting as host, cause one of them keeps track of whats going on and decides disputes with the lag issue, whoever closer with a faster connection to the host wins.

I have a minimum of 6 Mbps download and upload is usually around 700 Kbps, maximum 1 Mbps, is that enough (NAT type is 2 btw) ?  And how to test ping on the PS3 ??

provided no one else is using your connection it should plenty i would think.  i used to use a 768k up/down dsl with no issues.  I dont know exact requirements of transfer rate for this game, but they are usually much lower than most people think.  theres really no way to test ping accurately, this game is peer to peer and you dont know where the rest of the players are, so the ping is different for every player in every session, but use a site like www.speedtest.net or www.pingtest.net or www.testmy.net on your computer and change the server to other different locations to see what your ping is roughly to that area.  for example im in North Dakota USA and i test to Florida i get around 50ms ping, i get 74ms to California and 18ms to Minneapolis Minnesota, 120ms to europe and 300ms to Australia  usually, results vary due to internet traffic and can be much longer at peak times or to certain areas.  usually around 40ms to kansas and oklahoma but it gets as high as 120ms to there at peak useage times while routes to more populated areas like to California rarely if ever go over 85ms cause they have more capable infrastructure along the path.  ive played relatively problem free with people from Australia before without too much lag induced errors, so im not sure what the latency time that starts causing issues is exactly.  ive played RTS games in the past where anything under 500ms was fine but most fps games like battlefield start having issues around 100ms. depends what youre doing, if shooting each other thats the first place you will notice, cause you shoot them first but you die, but if just hangin out driving around youll likely not even notice unless its real bad and they are jumping around jerkily on the screen instead of walking smoothly.

Glocninez
  • Glocninez

I mod while you cry.

• Members

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:34 AM

I've got 30 down and 10 up with 10ms ping and I do nothing but time out...

ltajax
  • ltajax

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 4 weeks ago

all my over games work fine online. gta 5 is the only one that ever has network issues consistently.

I shouldn't have to go through all of this just to play the game online.

ganjamanotie1
  • ganjamanotie1

Player Hater

• New Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

I can't find any populated servers. I Can't play with friends nor can I be added to their session. I'm constantly in a server by myself, that is if I'm lucky enough to make it past the unknown network error and timed out screens.

I have contacted my ISP and they have assured me twice there is no problem on my side as far as modem and internet issues go. I have gone out of my way to purchase an Ethernet cable to test if it was an issue with my WiFi. The problem still persists.

I have gone through all the troubleshooting guides and I've scoured the internet looking for a solution. Turns out I'm not the only one with the same exact problem. I've unlinked my social club account and even made a new account to link it to.

To clarify, this problem originally occurred to me on my Xbox 360. I have since upgraded to the Xbox one and thought the problem would be a thing of the past. So now with gta online for Xbox one, I noticed the same exact problem. I can't find any servers, can't find any games or races, can't join my friends/they can't join me, unknown network errors, timed out and I've literally even had it boot me from Xbox live, something I've read that's happened to other users as well.

I've tried just about everything. Only thing I haven't done is gotten a new modem, which again was confirmed to be in working order. I will sit at a loading screen for nearly 5 minutes until it either loads me in a ghost server or times out. I've tried switching my aim, I've tried characters. I just don't know what else to do

BohanThug
  • BohanThug

Niko Bellic went quiet.

• Members

Posted 4 weeks ago

Getting the unknown network error constantly tonight.

hercules1975
  • hercules1975

UK Dark Knights Crew Commissioner

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by hercules1975, 4 weeks ago.

all my over games work fine online. gta 5 is the only one that ever has network issues consistently.

I shouldn't have to go through all of this just to play the game online.

Is that on Playstation 3 / 4 or X-Box 360 / One?

Are the other games peer-to-peer or do you play on dedicated servers?

Have you tried all of the connection tips that R* advise people to try if they have problems connecting to the game/lobbies/etc.?

You should open your ports if you have not done so already or DMZ your console on your router (unless you connect directly to the modem).

I just changed my I.P. address to static yesterday and noticed an immediate increase in the down/upload speeds.

It hasn't meant I don't have any connection issues or that I can join 30 player lobbies / jobs though - the highest number of players in a lobby was 15 or 16 on day one of the game coming out (Tuesday).

I can't find any populated servers. I Can't play with friends nor can I be added to their session. I'm constantly in a server by myself, that is if I'm lucky enough to make it past the unknown network error and timed out screens.

I have contacted my ISP and they have assured me twice there is no problem on my side as far as modem and internet issues go. I have gone out of my way to purchase an Ethernet cable to test if it was an issue with my WiFi. The problem still persists.

I have gone through all the troubleshooting guides and I've scoured the internet looking for a solution. Turns out I'm not the only one with the same exact problem. I've unlinked my social club account and even made a new account to link it to.

To clarify, this problem originally occurred to me on my Xbox 360. I have since upgraded to the Xbox one and thought the problem would be a thing of the past. So now with gta online for Xbox one, I noticed the same exact problem. I can't find any servers, can't find any games or races, can't join my friends/they can't join me, unknown network errors, timed out and I've literally even had it boot me from Xbox live, something I've read that's happened to other users as well.

I've tried just about everything. Only thing I haven't done is gotten a new modem, which again was confirmed to be in working order. I will sit at a loading screen for nearly 5 minutes until it either loads me in a ghost server or times out. I've tried switching my aim, I've tried characters. I just don't know what else to do

Since getting GTA5 on the PS3 and playing Online, I think I have tried about everything to help with my connection.

All the advice from the O.P. and R*, etc.

I also bought a new router, I was getting drop-outs on our internet connection, so bought a new router and that solved the problem - quite a cheap one as well (TP Link).

We have wireless internet that comes from a transmitter, it isn't fibre-optic.  It is supposed to get 20Mbps download (no upload speed advertised) but the best I was getting on www.speedtest.net was about 14 or 15Mbps down-load and 2Mbps up-load with a ping of just over 100ms.

I just checked it just now and it came back with the best result ever 21Mbps down/3.5Mbps up-load with a ping of 21ms?!

I will now do the internet test to check on the PS4 and see what speed it comes up with - 12.7 down / 1.5 up.

I went into a few matches/races and the most number of players was 6!

sultangris
  • sultangris

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 4 weeks ago

It's the game, not your connection for most people. If every other game works that's the case, if no games work online then it's your connection.

hercules1975
  • hercules1975

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by hercules1975, 4 weeks ago.

Well there maybe something to that actually, what with the update that they released yesterday which was to help fix connection problems!

It seemed to make things worse though, for most of the evening I couldn't get into any matches - the lobbies would load but just before it was going to start BOOM 'connection lost due to unknown network error, please return to GTAV and try again later'...

After a few hours I received an invite to a race from a crew friend who I regularly play with and talk to - he was having similar (but not as bad) problems with the game and was blaming it (as nearly everyone does) on R*'s servers.

Then more people started to join the races he was hosting until we had a full (6 players) lobby in a mission, so it seemed to sort it self out.

I stayed on for a few more hours and there weren't any problems, I didn't play any 30 player jobs though - I am not sure if they would get filled up or not as sometimes it takes a few minutes (which is quite a long time if you are waiting) to get 8+ players to join  :blink:

mollymcwigglebum
  • mollymcwigglebum

Player Hater

• New Members
  • Australia

Posted 4 weeks ago

Orfor those who believe that a degree in network engineering should not be a pre requisite to playing a game... please continue to voice your issues so RStar are made aware and fix them.

To OP - great post, howeveryou seem to be overlooking one thing. Most people have more than one game on PS4 or any other concole or PC for that matter. If their settings are good enough for stable connections on every other game they play then the fault lies with Rstar when its messy on GTA.
  • NothingPersonal likes this

hercules1975
  • hercules1975

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago

It turns out the connection problems of Saturday night were due to a 'hacking' group known as the Lizard Squad.

They were doing a D.DOS attack on R*'s servers which is why most people were having problems getting into Online the other night.

I played last night and it was the best ever in terms of full lobbies and although there were a few times I lost my connection, I think it was my connection that was to blame!

It wasn't even running that fast when I checked after turning everything off and on again - 4 to 5 Mbps download 1.7 upload speeds...

For the first time I was in matches with more than 16 players, there were 20 in a couple of them and the DMs were pretty crazy  :santa:

NothingPersonal
  • NothingPersonal

Trick

• Members

Posted 3 weeks ago

Worked perfectly until the latest patch, can't remain connected for long until everyone leaves or I disconnect to enter an empty lobby. Need I mention the long loading times and the fact I lost all of my vehicles, millions worth of items analogous to REAL CASH that practically equals the COST OF THE GAME, in the content transfer? Rockstar's been horrendous at their online functionality and it's absolutely abhorrent they would deflect the blame to us, their paycheck, whilst everything indicates it's their fault at not creating a simple infrastructure as every other game does.

Checkername1
  • Checkername1

GT: OhioEnterich36

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 4 days ago Edited by Checkername1, 4 days ago.

I have connection issues, it gives me a network error either when connecting to normal lobbies or 2-5mins into them. It doesn't happen with missions and other games and XBL are perfectly fine.
I have a 50k connection, Ping is 1-8ms and my ISP is Unitymedia (UPC in most countries). I have the Technicolor tc7200 router/modem and I previously tried cable/wireless, custom DNS, static IP... I can't really port forward because of IPv6, and UPnP is nowhere to be found in the settings. As I said this only happens on GTA Online and I can't figure it out. any advice?
I'm on xbox 360

Edit: I tried deleting one Update that had no picturein the system settings. Didn't help. Also I found that when I can connect, everything runs fine until I move in any way :O if I die it works tho?!?

BirdmanJr116
  • BirdmanJr116

Player Hater

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted 6 hours ago

I'm about to trade this stupid game in. Every game I have works. Gta5 on my 360 works but not my Xbox one. My ps4 works so I know its not a connection issue. My connection is 96% 26 download 7upload open nat. Idk what else to do.

BirdmanJr116
  • BirdmanJr116

Player Hater

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted 6 hours ago

Bout to just buy the ps4 version and start all over

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users