FIxing Lag issues/Connection Timeouts

152 replies to this topic
hercules1975
  • hercules1975

UK Dark Knights Crew Commissioner

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:37 PM

I have just upgraded our broadband to 3 x times the speed (downloading) 2 x speed (uploading) but still have a 0.5-1 second lag on my

connection (wireless through a router) my friends who I play with are also in the same country and probably have the same speed broadband.

They know before I do when I get a bounty on me, and they have already chosen the next job in the lobby before I have even seen all the available jobs! 

I have added the ports for PSN, DMZing the PS3 (it has it's own static IP), checked and lowered the MTU value (was 1500, now like 1350) and ran the ping and tracert tests.

The ping results were all good, the tracetr looked good until the last couple of hops - got a timed out at hop 17 using the google.com.

Tried with our ISP, and it started off ok - but then the times were going right up.

I spoke to the ISP and they told me there isn't anything they can do about this, after the thing has left their servers it is out of their hands.

I asked if it would be worth resetting the router, I don't think they said that would help.

Next thing is to try connecting the ethernet cable into the router, which probably will help - but isn't ideal as the PS3 is in one room and the router is next door.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>tracert 173.236.165.116

Tracing route to ip-173-236-165-116.dreamhost.com [173.236.165.116]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  buffalo.setup [192.168.11.1]
  2     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.88.1
  3    25 ms    16 ms     7 ms  ip-87-83-212-193.easynet.co.uk [87.83.212.193]
  4    29 ms     8 ms     7 ms  ip-87-82-201-17.easynet.co.uk [87.82.201.17]
  5    53 ms    23 ms     5 ms  109.174.159.73
  6    33 ms     5 ms    10 ms  87.83.24.181
  7    42 ms    17 ms    28 ms  ip-87-83-109-85.easynet.co.uk [87.83.109.85]
  8    33 ms    20 ms    30 ms  te0-0-0.er101.telon.uk.easynet.net [87.86.72.109
]
  9    56 ms    31 ms    23 ms  pc5-111.gr10.telon.uk.easynet.net [87.86.69.128]

10    42 ms    31 ms    23 ms  ge-2-1-0.mpr1.lhr2.uk.above.net [195.66.224.76]

11    19 ms    20 ms    28 ms  ae1.mpr2.lhr2.uk.above.net [64.125.27.149]
 12   160 ms   119 ms    93 ms  ae4.cr1.dca2.us.above.net [64.125.20.73]
 13   120 ms    97 ms   168 ms  ae1.er1.iad10.us.above.net [64.125.31.206]
 14   111 ms    99 ms    99 ms  ae4.er5.iad10.us.above.net [64.125.22.65]
 15   105 ms   110 ms   100 ms  208.185.23.134.t00867-03.above.net [208.185.23.1
34]
 16   124 ms   108 ms    99 ms  ip-208-113-156-4.dreamhost.com [208.113.156.4]
 17     *        *      127 ms  ip-208-113-156-14.dreamhost.com [208.113.156.14]

18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

The above results were from doing the tracert with R*'s cloud servers, this  doesn't look right compared with the other tests!

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Gangsta

• Members
  • None
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:52 PM

hey herc,

so you upgraded to fibre then :p your ISP cant do that much with fibre connections due to the way UK telco's work

but your traces are fine over your ISP.. the big hops at the end are the US servers... looks more like R* cloud issues than anything

you might be a bit of improvement using a wired connection, but youve proved your end isnt the problem.

• hercules1975 likes this

hercules1975
  • hercules1975

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

Hi mo!

Thanks for your reply, it is wireless broadband, from this company (I don't live in the city):

http://www.cotswoldw...n/wireless.html

I will have a quick look and see what happens wired!

This is annoying, I get the 'everyone just left the lobby at the same time' in free-mode, and worst still - during a mission last night.  It was a good job it was near the drop off though - the other players just stopped, so I got in the van and drove it to the safe house to complete the mission :0)

The only other thing I forgot to mention is I did a speed test on the PS3 after the upgrade, it no longer gives any results and has an error message:

The router in use may not support IP fragments, and the communication features of some games may be restricted.

Other people have had this problem after upgrading their broadband, so it isn't just me!

http://community.us....e/td-p/36185465

I sometimes can't hear other players mics, except for clicks 'n static type noises - maybe this is why?

I looked for help with this and changed the MTU value after running test, but it still comes up with the error message on the speed test, and mic noises in the game.

From my I.S.P.

Our wireless networks are fed by high capacity landlines (we don't use satellite) so the speed and latency is equal or better than a good ADSL service, and ideal for voice, VPN and gaming.

We fit a small external receiver to your premises which connects directly to a standard wireless router. Just like any regular broadband connection.

Our wireless packages all run at the fastest speed your location allows - currently up to 20Mbps

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:49 PM

hmmm wireless delivery method... thats always an awkward one mate... problem with wireless is its subject to interference from a variety of different sources... if anyone in your area uses a HAM radio or CB they may interfere (which is why they need to be licensed... but not everyone is) with your broadband.

in most cases where BB is delivered through your landline the only wireless aspect is from the router to your device.. but in your case the external part is also delivered wireless and you cant do much to rule out interference across that portion.

the lobby drops your getting is more likely to be you than everyone else... if your connection gets a lag spike it will kick you from the session, but to you it looks like everyone left..

that delviery method is great for you being out in the sticks and suffering really crappy copper based connections, but when it comes to online gaming its a problematic one, you might wana contact your isp to query the IP fragments error your getting on your ps3 to see if they can help you out with that part.

• hercules1975 likes this

hercules1975
  • hercules1975

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:41 PM

I moved the PS3 and plugged the cable into the back, it succeeded in the first three tests, UPnP is now not available, it is still on NAT Type 2 but it shows the speeds as 5.3 Mbps download and 984.2 kbps upload (no error message though).

I went into Online, it put me in a lobby by myself, when I went to join another one with a friend in it, who I was with the other night and it did the 'everyone left thing' 4 times in about an hour - it timed out and put me into Story-Mode!

Tried to get online using the 'join friends' option - failed to find a compatible GTA Online session containing Friends (there at least 3 friends playing the game right now)!?

It tried to put me in a new session, but got this error message 'Timed out locating session. Please return to Grand Theft Auto V and try again later.'.

So, got the ethernet cable and plugged that in to the PS3 and back of the router.

Now I can get UPnP, still type 2 NAT, the download speed has reduced a little (4.9 Mbps) as has the upload (847.2 kbps).  Again, there is no error message about the router.

So there must be some issue with using the PS3 with router wireless, as the message only comes up when it isn't connected to the modem or router!

However, as soon as I start GTA Online this time - I appear in my garage for a second, then this error message comes up:

Connection to the session lost due to an unknown network error. Please return to Grand Theft Auto V and try again later.'.

Tried to get online using the 'join friends' option again - failed to find a compatible GTA Online session containing Friends - again!

It has put me in a lobby with 3 other players, none of them are friends - so I have just joined a lobby with the friend mentioned above - let's see how long I can stay in the same lobby (without losing connection)! :0)

hercules1975
  • hercules1975

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:06 PM

Just spoke to my mate about this, he has a TP Link connected to his electricity, the box connects to the router via an ethernet cable and there is another box that connects to his PS3, he has had it a month and has no problems with connections, I can always hear him fine and he can hear me fine as well. I can go and buy one of these now, they are about £40 ($60) but I might wait until tomorrow - just in case I don't really need to buy one!

hercules1975
  • hercules1975

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:22 PM

Ok, so I just moved the PS3 back into the room next door and did the internet set up again so it is wireless.  It is showing 100% signal, and I did the easy set up - so I think it has ignored the static IP address, Google DNS codes.

The funny thing is now it is not showing the error message, and the upload/download speeds look about the same when it was wired to the ethernet cable...

I might have made a mistake just ordering that TP Link, I might have sorted the problem out myself...

I will have a look and see what happens, I only ordered it about 15 minutes ago and paid by Paypal so should be ok to cancel the order if I don't need the thing after all!? lol

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:33 AM

hey herc,

tbh the TPlink adaptors are pretty good, i use a set of similar devices to connect 2 HD PVR's my playstation, g/f's laptop and a desktop pc with no issues, its alot cleaner than running cables all over the house if you want to reduce wireless connections (i prefer a wired connection wherever possible and only use wireless for phones and tablet that dont have ethernet ports)

hercules1975
  • hercules1975

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:22 PM

hi mo!

Thanks for the advice about the TP link, the package arrived today - I haven't opened it yet as I can get a refund if I haven't used it.

I haven't had any problems with lag, and much fewer 'unable to connect' error messages since I moved it back into the other room and went back to the auto options for my PS3 (wireless).

I will have a go at joining some busy lobbies/jobs later on to see if I have any of the old issues, if not I might just return the TP link if I don't need it.  I was just doing stuff mainly on my own over the weekend, so will check if I am still getting the 'lag spike' connection problems.

Do you think the device would help, would having higher upload/download speeds and/or a more stable connection (compared to wireless) make any difference for me playing GTA Online?

As you would have noticed, I wasn't having any (technical) issues when we were doing those races the other night with those guys from the World Racing Elite (or whatever the crew are called).

Just missing the odd checkpoint, spinning out, having the 'wrong car' maybe - but I don't think any device could help with that! lol

I managed to get a Gauntlet to replace my Ruiner, so hopefully will do better the next time i'm in a muscle car race:0)

Cheers!

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:11 PM Edited by mo-seph, 31 March 2014 - 04:12 PM.

hi mo!

Thanks for the advice about the TP link, the package arrived today - I haven't opened it yet as I can get a refund if I haven't used it.

I haven't had any problems with lag, and much fewer 'unable to connect' error messages since I moved it back into the other room and went back to the auto options for my PS3 (wireless).

I will have a go at joining some busy lobbies/jobs later on to see if I have any of the old issues, if not I might just return the TP link if I don't need it.  I was just doing stuff mainly on my own over the weekend, so will check if I am still getting the 'lag spike' connection problems.

Do you think the device would help, would having higher upload/download speeds and/or a more stable connection (compared to wireless) make any difference for me playing GTA Online?

As you would have noticed, I wasn't having any (technical) issues when we were doing those races the other night with those guys from the World Racing Elite (or whatever the crew are called).

Just missing the odd checkpoint, spinning out, having the 'wrong car' maybe - but I don't think any device could help with that! lol

I managed to get a Gauntlet to replace my Ruiner, so hopefully will do better the next time i'm in a muscle car race:0)

Cheers!

i thought that was you in that race, saw a few recognisable names.... first 2 races, no real issues.... 2nd two races i was seeing alot of lag... vespucci dreams i was driving down a straight road, think it was a jester in front of me and it jsut spun out and flew off somewhere,,, there was nothing either side, in front or behind him and he jsut spun out... you mighta notice me DNF cos i jsut parked up on the side of the road, next race same happened again and i just trailed it in for last place... althgouh i dont think it was you, one of the guys who joined i know ahs connection probs, regularly drops out of races or lags like hell, so i have a feeling it was that,,., shame really cos i owned those first two races :p

hahah defo switch that ruiner though buddy, they dont hold up too well, especially on 4way madness... i was pretty bad in my sabre turbo (my 2nd character doesnt have a "race garage") managed to get myself upto 2nd then lost it from hitting a traffic light, boom 5th place :(

but back on point, the TPlink would give a better connection than wireless, i use them (not the same brand but same sh*t behind the name) in my room upstairs cos my wireless signal is crappy as hell up there, i get full speed through the Adaptor, by comaprison to about 30% speed wireless... personally i swear by them and my house wiring (mains) isnt exactly new, but still performs better than wireless.

GTALondon1969
  • GTALondon1969

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:33 PM

I posted a separate thread, but it looks like this isn't a high traffic forum, so I'll repeat it here:

So I have a hardware firewall protecting my home network and I typical choose a "Deny all by default, allow by exception" sort of strategy. After not playing GTA since implementing this firewall and having trouble downloading the updates to get to 1.11, I did a little research and opened all of the ports outlined here:

&

After opening those ports, I could download all the updates and get into GTA online. However, I noticed I kept getting bounced back to single player after playing for 10-15 minutes and things timing out.

So I decided to say screw it, moved my PS3 to a static IP and setup a rule that allows ALL traffic and services (TCP & UDP) to and from that specific IP through my firewall.

Good to go I guess, right? I now log in and managed to play for over an hour, but occasionally it wouldn't save my game (gave me a notification that it couldn't contact the servers). I found that if I joined another "mission" (usually race) and completed it, it would attempt to save again and then work. 

However, little things like that seem to keep happening randomly. In addition, after exiting out of the voting screen, it can take a few minutes before dumping me out into the openworld GTA online portion. Also, I'm not sure if this is related, but my "Friends" option does not appear to be selectable, so I can't add people's screen names. 

I thought I might need to forward specific ports so that external requests on specific ports ended up being redirected properly to my PS3, but I have not been able to find an official list of those ports other than people guessing in forums. I've seen people guess that I need to forward TCP 80 & 443, which I'm obviously not going to do. Does anyone have any official documentation on what exact ports need to be forwarded? Is this even necessary?!

I should also mention: My firewall is NOT uPnP capable, and I have since disabled it in my PS3. I am using my firewall for my primary DNS and Google's DNS for my secondary. My consistent Down/Up speeds are 57/10 and I have really low latency. I'm also on unavoidable wireless-N, but the router is in the next room over and I get great connection speeds. 

hercules1975
  • hercules1975

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:39 AM

I posted a separate thread, but it looks like this isn't a high traffic forum, so I'll repeat it here:

So I have a hardware firewall protecting my home network and I typical choose a "Deny all by default, allow by exception" sort of strategy. After not playing GTA since implementing this firewall and having trouble downloading the updates to get to 1.11, I did a little research and opened all of the ports outlined here:

&

After opening those ports, I could download all the updates and get into GTA online. However, I noticed I kept getting bounced back to single player after playing for 10-15 minutes and things timing out.

So I decided to say screw it, moved my PS3 to a static IP and setup a rule that allows ALL traffic and services (TCP & UDP) to and from that specific IP through my firewall.

Good to go I guess, right? I now log in and managed to play for over an hour, but occasionally it wouldn't save my game (gave me a notification that it couldn't contact the servers). I found that if I joined another "mission" (usually race) and completed it, it would attempt to save again and then work. 

However, little things like that seem to keep happening randomly. In addition, after exiting out of the voting screen, it can take a few minutes before dumping me out into the openworld GTA online portion. Also, I'm not sure if this is related, but my "Friends" option does not appear to be selectable, so I can't add people's screen names. 

I thought I might need to forward specific ports so that external requests on specific ports ended up being redirected properly to my PS3, but I have not been able to find an official list of those ports other than people guessing in forums. I've seen people guess that I need to forward TCP 80 & 443, which I'm obviously not going to do. Does anyone have any official documentation on what exact ports need to be forwarded? Is this even necessary?!

I should also mention: My firewall is NOT uPnP capable, and I have since disabled it in my PS3. I am using my firewall for my primary DNS and Google's DNS for my secondary. My consistent Down/Up speeds are 57/10 and I have really low latency. I'm also on unavoidable wireless-N, but the router is in the next room over and I get great connection speeds. 

I used this webpage, it told me which ports to open:

http://portforward.c...ort_forwarding/

As the PC has it's own firewall/anti-virus software, it should be ok to open ports on the router.

hi mo!

Cheers!

i thought that was you in that race, saw a few recognisable names.... first 2 races, no real issues.... 2nd two races i was seeing alot of lag... vespucci dreams i was driving down a straight road, think it was a jester in front of me and it jsut spun out and flew off somewhere,,, there was nothing either side, in front or behind him and he jsut spun out... you mighta notice me DNF cos i jsut parked up on the side of the road, next race same happened again and i just trailed it in for last place... althgouh i dont think it was you, one of the guys who joined i know ahs connection probs, regularly drops out of races or lags like hell, so i have a feeling it was that,,., shame really cos i owned those first two races :p

hahah defo switch that ruiner though buddy, they dont hold up too well, especially on 4way madness... i was pretty bad in my sabre turbo (my 2nd character doesnt have a "race garage") managed to get myself upto 2nd then lost it from hitting a traffic light, boom 5th place :(

but back on point, the TPlink would give a better connection than wireless, i use them (not the same brand but same sh*t behind the name) in my room upstairs cos my wireless signal is crappy as hell up there, i get full speed through the Adaptor, by comaprison to about 30% speed wireless... personally i swear by them and my house wiring (mains) isnt exactly new, but still performs better than wireless.

Thanks mo! The TP Link has doubled the up/download speed on my PS3, and the voting screens/loading is much faster :0)

There do not seem to be as many 'lag-spikes', I played races/DMs/PvP without ending up on my own once, well actually I did - but that was the PvP session and it had got late so the other players did actually leave ;0)

Faller10
  • Faller10

Player Hater

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:58 PM Edited by Faller10, 18 April 2014 - 10:59 PM.

Hi GTA Community, 

In first place i'm about 1 month searching and trying all different things so i can repair my connection erros. The ones who most appear is "Connection lost due to an unknown network error." or  "Time limit reached [..]" and i alredy tried some repair steps and had no good results. Somedays when i tried to play i could play in a full player session for about 1 or 2 hours but after that, everyday, one time, it gives me the errors doesn't matter the hour but everyday, in a different time, it happens, there are days that i can't play at all! There is some tries that i enter a session with about 3 or 5 players but after seconds all of them leave as if their connection went off. All of this things happened to me on this month and still they are happening, i already tried these steps:

Port Forwarding

Changing DNS

Unlinking my Social Club Account

DMZ

Reinstalling the Patch

Here it is my connection test results in PS3 (With no changes in DNS an Ip settings and using wired connection):

Obtain IP Address: Successful

Internet Connection: Successful

PSN: Successful

UPnP: Available

NAT Type: 2

Connection Speed (download)*: 32.4

Connection Speed (upload)*: 2.69

My ping is 32.

These is it, hopes someone can help!

Thanks!

•  

MrCamo
  • MrCamo

Playa

• Members

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:16 PM

http://www.se7ensins...r-1-12.1119940/
  • BENNY BLANCO likes this

sudon't
  • sudon't

Non-Playable Character

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:57 PM Edited by sudon't, 21 May 2014 - 08:40 AM.

I have a mac but I could find test ping stuff and that on mac. Would appreciate some guidance!

On a Mac, fire up: /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and type:   

ping -c9 173.236.165.116

The "c" stands for "count" and is the number of packets it will send, in this case nine. You can also use a different server address, or even the domain name. DNS will resolve it:  

ping -c9 www.google.com

Other useful commands mentioned in this thread, and their syntax:

traceroute 173.236.165.116
whois 173.236.165.116

The Mac OS comes with an amazing array of network tools, but what you really want to do is ping directly from the PS3 or Xbox. Fire up the browser in your console, and go to pingtest.net  Pinging from your computer will tell you nothing about what's happening with your console, except by comparison. Obviously, with wireless, check signal strength as well.
  • gta4thewin likes this

AlexSniperBullet
  • AlexSniperBullet

GTAPhotographer Commissioner

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:06 AM

Word. Never get satellite internet. the ping would be horrible with all of the players your connected too.

sultangris
  • sultangris

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:53 PM

its on rockstars end if its never happened before patch 1.11.  my internet is beast and ive played on different providers with different ps3s all set up and configured correctly and gta is the only game where the error occurs.  its much better for me so far in patch 1.13 but i still freeze occasionally, which is also rockstars problem and never happened before 1.11.  1.12 was near unplayable for me, freeze every 5 minutes.

LehPhatGer-bear
  • LehPhatGer-bear

The Ladies Man

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:13 AM

All this to fix freezing 'n stuff. *flips desk* Nope.

TheGoodSgtScooter
  • TheGoodSgtScooter

Vote freedom, vote Scooter.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:57 PM

always let the level appear next to the players name when hosting. If you don't, at least one person times out. Always happens with me.

sudon't
  • sudon't

Non-Playable Character

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:17 PM

I'm sure lots of people have opinions, but does anyone know if there are any specific security issues involved in DMZing a PS3? What would you have to worry about?

Moonbeam7891
  • Moonbeam7891

Player Hater

• New Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:23 AM

Hi Hercules, I'm having trouble with using wireless too, it keeps kicking me out of missions.  Interested to learn more about the TP-Link connected to the electricity theory, does it actually work?  I've got a TP-Link router so hopefully it will solve my problem.. thanks

Just spoke to my mate about this, he has a TP Link connected to his electricity, the box connects to the router via an ethernet cable and there is another box that connects to his PS3, he has had it a month and has no problems with connections, I can always hear him fine and he can hear me fine as well. I can go and buy one of these now, they are about £40 ($60) but I might wait until tomorrow - just in case I don't really need to buy one!

hercules1975
  • hercules1975

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:37 AM

Hi Moonbeam, yes it works - you should give it a go and see for yourself!

I have been having problems over the past few days with getting timed out, not being able to connect to friends lobbies/races/missions.

I spent more time trying to get online than I did playing I think, it was as bad as yesterday - I tried changing the settings (Google DNS, static IP, UPNP off) which didn't help.

I even unlinked my Social Club account to see if that would help, it didn't seem much different, then I changed my user account on PSN (which I think is unlined also) and that seemed better - but it was late by then so didn't get much done on my lvl 10 character....

What I would do is run a connect test before setting the TP link up and maybe go on a couple of websites to test your upload/download speeds and write them down.

After I installed the TP link, the speeds both doubled - and the connection seemed more stable also  :santa:

The connection issues depend on your internet connection, the other players connections and R*s servers though.

Trying also doing the tracert/ping tests and see if there are any lost packets or long pings, you might need to call your IP if there are any issues with your connection.

Good luck!

• Moonbeam7891 likes this

Moonbeam7891
  • Moonbeam7891

Player Hater

• New Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:52 AM

Hi Hercules, thanks for the quick reply, will do the speed and ping tests.  I've also spoken to my IP and they said my line had a lot of errors on it so they've put me on a better profile, lower speed but should be more stable.  I'm also trying to update router firmware but having problems with that too.  Can you let me know what tp-link product you bought as i'm not sure what i'm looking for?  thanks :)

hercules1975
  • hercules1975

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:58 AM

Hi

Cool, hope they can get you a more stable connection - that is more important than having a really fast connection!

Here is the product on Amazon (£25):

TP-Link PA411KIT AV500 500 Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack

http://www.amazon.co...eywords=tp link

Good reviews for this, which is one of the reasons why I bought it.

I got ours from Maplin, you can buy them instore and not have to wait for it to be dispatched/delivered - but is a bit more expensive (£40).

Cheers!

• Moonbeam7891 likes this

hercules1975
  • hercules1975

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:48 AM

hey herc,

Snip:

but your traces are fine over your ISP.. the big hops at the end are the US servers... looks more like R* cloud issues than anything

you might be a bit of improvement using a wired connection, but youve proved your end isnt the problem.

I spent more time trying to get online than I did playing last night... dam internet/servers :0(

So I have had an early night the last 2 nights, I just gave up in the end trying to get into lobbies - invite only by myself works fine...

When I try to join lobbies I have been invited to or jobs/races/etc. 

I get these error messages:

Connection timed out
Unable to connect to session
Player is no longer in session
Connection to the session lost due to an unknown network error

The worst:

Signed out of PSN...

I just tried the tracert again, the results are similar to before in terms of the times, but this time there were none of the request time outs as it got to the 18th hop fine:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>tracert 173.236.165.116

Tracing route to apache2-blow.samuel-adams.dreamhost.com [173.236.165.116]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms     1 ms    <1 ms  buffalo.setup [192.168.11.1]
  2     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.88.1
  3    18 ms     3 ms     6 ms  ip-87-83-212-193.easynet.co.uk [87.83.212.193]
  4    80 ms    15 ms    13 ms  ip-87-82-201-17.easynet.co.uk [87.82.201.17]
  5    38 ms    31 ms    17 ms  109.174.159.73
  6    47 ms    44 ms    19 ms  87.83.24.181
  7    27 ms    57 ms    22 ms  ip-87-83-109-85.easynet.co.uk [87.83.109.85]
  8    72 ms    26 ms    23 ms  te0-1-0-0.er101.telon.uk.easynet.net [87.86.73.41]
  9    77 ms    50 ms    20 ms  pc5-111.gr10.telon.uk.easynet.net [87.86.69.128]
 10    74 ms    29 ms    25 ms  ge-2-1-0.mpr1.lhr2.uk.above.net [195.66.224.76]
 11    51 ms    36 ms    34 ms  ae1.mpr2.lhr2.uk.above.net [64.125.27.149]
 12   117 ms    95 ms   114 ms  ae4.cr1.dca2.us.above.net [64.125.20.73]
 13   115 ms   106 ms   101 ms  ae1.er1.iad10.us.above.net [64.125.31.206]
 14    96 ms    94 ms   103 ms  ae4.er5.iad10.us.above.net [64.125.22.65]
 15   122 ms   120 ms   105 ms  208.185.23.134.t00867-03.above.net [208.185.23.134]
 16   129 ms   100 ms   118 ms  ip-208-113-156-4.dreamhost.com [208.113.156.4]
 17   129 ms   101 ms   103 ms  ip-208-113-156-14.dreamhost.com [208.113.156.14]
 18   136 ms   107 ms   107 ms  apache2-blow.samuel-adams.dreamhost.com [173.236.165.116]

Trace complete.

Could there be some kind of conflict between my internet connection and the people I am trying to join?

I did manage to host RR, one of my crew joined - the invite only seemed to go out to him.

I know there were other's playing but they didn't even come up on the list, usually there are quite a few - and even if they are in other jobs already it will show them as 'busy'...

sultangris
  • sultangris

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:30 PM

Its entirely possible.  i have about 30 friends that play gta5 and a few of them that i like to play with the most are in my crew and sometimes their names do not appear on the friends list at all, and if they do the are red X like they are offline but no time last on is shown next to it.  this makes it very difficult to connect to sessions with them but if someone else is in the session with them or if they send me an invite i can connect and play in the session with them even though psn and the game does not register them as online.  seems to be more unknown errors and freezing occuring when you do play with them though, so im not really sure what the deal is with it. one of my friends which is like that on my list freezes a lot,when he does show correctly on my friends list i just see him going online and offline very frequently.

sultangris
  • sultangris

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:55 AM

does anyone have a clue what actually causes the lag in this game to be so bad? i have zero issues with any other game but this game is terrible, and ive played it in multiple states on multiple different ISPs, makes no difference, its always laggy.  I know its not my connection.

hercules1975
  • hercules1975

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:46 AM Edited by hercules1975, 30 May 2014 - 08:48 AM.

Regarding the lag, I was getting this last night (or rather causing it)!

It was an open lobby with just me in it (due to my slow internet) when the guy who joined me the night before came into the lobby.

He was driving us around, showing me his garage (or rather the cars inside it) which was fine, then we left and he was just driving around.

The car was jumping all over the road, crashing into things - this was because my slow internet was causing his to lag so he couldn't control the car properly, he  then he left (might have lost connection?)  :blink:

I was talking to him before and there weren't any problems with the mics, one other person I know joined a little earlier - but left as it was just me in there not doing much! lol

Normally if I go into an open lobby there is at least one 'random' in there, if not more (sometimes 15).

I think it was to do with R*'s matchmaking putting people with similar internet speeds together.

It turns out our ISP had put a restriction on our bandwidth usage, which is why it has been running so slowly recently.  The ping is fine, but the download speed had gone down to 0.1 Mbs from about 7 Mbs (it is now showing as 11 Mbs).

After I spoke to them they put us onto a new unlimited contract for the same price, and have removed the limit, happy days!

:santa:

sultangris
  • sultangris

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:14 PM

my internet is fast, 40 meg or so bu the connection test on the playstation doesnt ever get higher than 16 but the ps3 is such an old system i doubt it can utilize much more than that anyway, i would think 1meg would be sufficient, lol!

duha666
  • duha666

Player Hater

• New Members
  • Afghanistan

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:32 PM

Ping this ping that , lol... yeah its us, millions of players that used to have no problem what so ever playing GTA Online! Ok... Seen enough....lol
  • sultangris likes this

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users