Photo

What did/do you want to be?

81 replies to this topic
Crazyeighties
  • Crazyeighties

Your self proclaimed GTA forums DJ!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:45 AM Edited by Crazyeighties, 13 March 2014 - 11:46 AM.

Growing up it was either a doctor or an engineer. I was always told that is where the money is.

Now all grown up.. I'm working in heavy construction and enrolling into technical community college for welding next month, pursuing a welding career in the oil field industry. Pretty far off from the whole doctor thing, but I'm sort of enjoying what I do. Defiantly wish I would have stuck with my dreams though. Stay in school, kids.

Welding is a great career seeing that you can charge a ridiculous amount for someone breaking something that your average person can't fix...

Failure
  • Failure

Gone for now.

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:28 PM Edited by elanman, 13 March 2014 - 07:52 PM.

The first thing I can latch on to with a mathematics/comp sci/engineering related degree (whichever I go for), with art on the side as a hobby. 

Either I have a wide range of options or I don't know what I'm doing.

Either works. 

You can't go wrong with a STEM subject.

I've got a lot of good links related to mathematics and physics, so drop me a PM if you want some online resources. 

Rainbow Party
  • Rainbow Party

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:42 PM Edited by Rainbow Party, 25 March 2014 - 04:01 AM.

I started studying IT* because videogames, like a vast majority of people do. I just found out I don't like it that much, I only care about programming but I don't like serious programming that much either. I guess it's not that bad anyway. I've had a lot of pressure from my parents to study this and keep studying it (even though they deny it) so oh well u.u

By the way, I wanted to study graphic design or something related to advertising but my parents talked me out of it. In my country engineering/IT are guaranteed to get you a good job and money. And anything "weird" like graphic design will get you nowhere, according to everyone except the people who actually study it. So I just try not to think about other careers and tell myself IT is okay. At least I'm so far doing alright in college, passing exams but with the lowest grades in everything.

*Im not exactly sure if IT is the right english translation for my career but I think it is

• xVampire Fangx likes this

BaM BooZeLLed
  • BaM BooZeLLed

Scooby Guy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:27 PM

Happy.

Ava822
  • Ava822

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:21 PM

I used to want to be a teacher, then decided that a doctor was more like it.  I am currently studying to be a nurse.

Schemer
  • Schemer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:29 AM Edited by Limitless, 14 March 2014 - 12:31 AM.

Growing up it was either a doctor or an engineer. I was always told that is where the money is.

Now all grown up.. I'm working in heavy construction and enrolling into technical community college for welding next month, pursuing a welding career in the oil field industry. Pretty far off from the whole doctor thing, but I'm sort of enjoying what I do. Defiantly wish I would have stuck with my dreams though. Stay in school, kids.

Welding is a great career seeing that you can charge a ridiculous amount for someone breaking something that your average person can't fix...

Lord only knows I break enough damn stuff already at work..

The welding I'm actually trying to take up is more along the lines of pipe fitting and fabrication. It actually pays a hell of a lot more than just doing repairs or working as a small time welding around a town. Welding in either the oil field industry or pipe fitting out of state is two of the toughest, but highest paying welding one can do. I'm actually about to start working at a local fab shop while going to school, but one day I hope to become skilled in what I do and go to work with the big boys. Pay also has a lot to do with your education and skill level. The more type of welding you do, the better you'll get paid. Like if you're skilled in TIG, which is the hardest to learn, but highest paying.

SingingEwe954
  • SingingEwe954

Jack of All Trades

• Members
  • Turkmenistan
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:07 AM

Welding is a good career if your in the right place or willing to move there I was considering going into welding but here in Michigan there are no jobs in welding unless you want to live in poverty but if you wanna move to North Dakota and work in the oil fields there are plenty of jobs doing that

Crazyeighties
  • Crazyeighties

Your self proclaimed GTA forums DJ!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:31 AM

Welding is a good career if your in the right place or willing to move there I was considering going into welding but here in Michigan there are no jobs in welding unless you want to live in poverty but if you wanna move to North Dakota and work in the oil fields there are plenty of jobs doing that

for sure.....

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:56 AM

I first wanted to go into the Military, but I grew out of that.

I then wanted to be a game coder, but bug fixing really pissed me off lol.

I then wanted to be a video game writer, as in writing the story, but I just have no drive to do it. Not only that, but writing jobs are kinda hard to come by, and a Creative Writing Degree won't get you that far elsewhere.

So now I want to be a Marketing Manager.

And by 'I want to be a Marketing Manager', I mean it's the thing that appeals most to me right now.

From my study of anything and everything, I have enough base knowledge of lots of things to get into a lot of different careers. I just don't have a clear cut favorite.

So, as of right now, it's Marketing :)

Eris
  • Eris

Ghetto Star

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:54 AM

tumblr_m5dafgrfEa1qla0nzo1_1280.jpg

• Voodoo, Shou, Danz. and 1 other like this

Ermac
  • Ermac

Black Spasmodic

• The Yakuza
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:08 AM

I never really knew as a kid. Whenever the question came up, I'd cop out and say "a Skateboarder" (thanks THPS) or "a NFL Player". Now, I just want to do something that I don't hate that allows me to live comfortably. 

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:46 AM

Well today I read a really depressing article about how within the next 20 years the majority of low skilled labor will be replaced with computers and robots. Which really messes with my current plan of working in retail at a place like Costco or Wal-Mart or preferably a small game store :( maybe I will have to stay at my current job because I dont really see it being replaced by robots any time soon :(

Pfister Comet
  • Pfister Comet

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:04 PM

I wanted to be Fireman, untill i realized it's not my thing.

Now i want to be Truck Driver.

RedBull FM
  • RedBull FM

Retired, have a life

• Members
  • England

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:23 PM

Since that I've been doing RockClimbing since the age of 12, thinking of sticking to it for the coming future. Though I have 2 years of College left :(

Vanto
  • Vanto

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:29 PM

I'd rather think what I want to be than what I wanted to be. Probably a videogame maker, movie director/movie script maker or music artist.

Danz.
  • Danz.

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:37 PM Edited by Danz., 14 March 2014 - 05:38 PM.

I once wanted to be serial killer when I was kid, so that I was training to become it by pursuing my classmates with a well sharped pencil.

But then I gave up and decided to become a doctor. Not much different.

• Vanto and xVampire Fangx like this

skittlez86
  • skittlez86

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:45 PM Edited by bikerman3, 14 March 2014 - 05:47 PM.

I want to be a male prostitute who gets paid in gta$ 

• gtamann123 and xVampire Fangx like this

Eris
  • Eris

Ghetto Star

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:46 PM

Well today I read a really depressing article about how within the next 20 years the majority of low skilled labor will be replaced with computers and robots. Which really messes with my current plan of working in retail at a place like Costco or Wal-Mart or preferably a small game store :( maybe I will have to stay at my current job because I dont really see it being replaced by robots any time soon :(

Your future plans were to work at Wal-Mart? Do you realize how lame that sounds. 

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:47 PM

Your future plans were to work at Wal-Mart? Do you realize how lame that sounds. 

Well I plan to live with my parents to take care of them in their old age so I dont need that much money since my living expenses are going to be relatively low because they will have income from social security and retirment savings to cover most of the bills and such. And then after they pass away I will inherit the trailer and since it will be paid off so I won't really have a house payment or rent which will save me a ton of money. So my living expenses will still be very low. So I dont need a high paying job for the future so I dont see the poiny in going to college and all that and getting myself into debt just so I can get a higher paying job I dont need. And a place Wal-Mart seems like an okay place to work despite what people say. It seems pretty routine and mundane and doesnt require much skill or critical thought and therefore won't be stressfull. But woth the way it looks I may have to stay at my current job which is repairing appliances

ObsydianRaven
  • ObsydianRaven

Formerly Sethpenguin

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Concepts]

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:57 PM

What I want so far is to become a Graphic Designer and get married to my girlfriend, possibly start a family too.

SingingEwe954
  • SingingEwe954

Jack of All Trades

• Members
  • Turkmenistan
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:37 AM

Well I plan to live with my parents to take care of them in their old age so I dont need that much money since my living expenses are going to be relatively low because they will have income from social security and retirment savings to cover most of the bills and such. And then after they pass away I will inherit the trailer and since it will be paid off so I won't really have a house payment or rent which will save me a ton of money. So my living expenses will still be very low. So I dont need a high paying job for the future so I dont see the poiny in going to college and all that and getting myself into debt just so I can get a higher paying job I dont need. And a place Wal-Mart seems like an okay place to work despite what people say. It seems pretty routine and mundane and doesnt require much skill or critical thought and therefore won't be stressfull. But woth the way it looks I may have to stay at my current job which is repairing appliances

This man will have a PERFECT life

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:15 AM

This man will have a PERFECT life

Well I think my plan is pretty much 100% feasible. So I guess I have a good shot of having a perfect life and having everything work out like I want it to.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users