My Final Thoughts on GTA V

208 replies to this topic
TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Public Enemy #1

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:41 PM

And even then, you're not even certain if Vice City did it first.

oh my f*cking god.

so what?

and it is revolutionary, because since vice city, every GTA has been doing that.

Every GTA except V, you mean.

nobum62
  • nobum62

some guy who just got into the santa hat fad

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:43 PM

i just went and played gta 3... yeah i'm pretty sure vice city was the first to do that.

And even then, you're not even certain if Vice City did it first.

oh my f*cking god.

so what?

and it is revolutionary, because since vice city, every GTA has been doing that.

Every GTA except V, you mean.

V did it too, to an extent

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Public Enemy #1

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:46 PM

i just went and played gta 3... yeah i'm pretty sure vice city was the first to do that.

I dunno, reading the plot of GTA III here, it seems like Claude was left with nothing to basically start the game, then continually did jobs to get higher and higher and confront Catalina once again. A lot like GTA IV's story, actually.

I don't know for sure, though, I'm just going off reading right now.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:59 AM Edited by SonOfLiberty, 13 March 2014 - 02:08 AM.

Lucchese - Only III & V? I'm not trying to be a IV fanboy, but hasn't IV majorly impacted GTA? The new engine, the more in depth ways to tell a story, et cetera?

GTA IV should be in the middle. Not quite as revolutionary as GTA III, but more than GTA V IMO. The multiple protagionist switching to me is nothing more than a (no brainer) evolution of multiple protagonists in GTA IV/EFLC when it seemed like R* were toying with the idea of how to intersect story arcs.

GTA IV/EFLC laid the foundation. GTA V built on it.

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:18 AM Edited by Official General, 13 March 2014 - 02:21 AM.

Lucchese - Only III & V? I'm not trying to be a IV fanboy, but hasn't IV majorly impacted GTA? The new engine, the more in depth ways to tell a story, et cetera?

GTA IV should be in the middle. Not quite as revolutionary as GTA III, but more than GTA V IMO. The multiple protagionist switching to me is nothing more than a (no brainer) evolution of multiple protagonists in GTA IV/EFLC when it seemed like R* were toying with the idea of how to intersect story arcs.

GTA IV/EFLC laid the foundation. GTA V built on it.
I have to admit that despite GTA IV missing great features from previous GTA titles, it was a stunning and spectacular transition to HD for series in many ways. It was enough for it to be classed a revolutionary GTA title to a moderate, but still significant extent.
  • Miamivicecity and HaythamKenway like this

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:40 AM

Quite possibly, but as far as I'm concerned, the only games to have had a hugely significant revolutionary impact on the way we play the GTA games, are III & V. The reasons for the former need no explaining, and as for V; it really annoys me how some people on this forum are so blinded by their hate that they fail to understand or appreciate just how complicated and complex the multi-protag thing must've been to programme. I'm no gaming developer, but I don't imagine I require some computing degree to have a somewhat basic understanding that pulling off such an ambitious mechanic on a game of this scope and size, and have it flow so smoothly on the platforms of last, is a pretty dam revolutionary achievement.

I would say that GTA Vice City is just as revolutionary as GTA III & V, as it added interiors, buyable properties, a significant amount of varied veicles, 3D motorbikes and (my favourite additions), full wing planes and helicopters, I would also say that GTA IV is revolutionary for the series as it refined the gunplay and added HD detail, but for it's steps forward, it took a lot more steps back.

The other stuff you said, I agree, but it's not just the multi-protagonist system, it's anything good that GTA V does as most GTA V haters only focus on one aspect of a game: story, they don't care about gameplay. And seeing as though I am on the topic, GTA V haters and even some gamers in general (both here and on other forums) think that liking gameplay better than story is childish (hence my signature).

nobum62
  • nobum62

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:47 AM Edited by nobum62, 13 March 2014 - 04:47 AM.

Haters?

I don't hate V, i'm just disappointed with it's story. I do care about gameplay, it's just the story that bothers me. So I tend to focus on its story.
  • HaythamKenway likes this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:08 AM Edited by woggleman, 13 March 2014 - 09:09 AM.

I like story as well but gameplay is what really matters and V's story is much better than people give it credit for. I would much rather have a game like this than MGS4 which was 60% cutscene. One of them was literally 45 minutes. I don't want to watch that.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:51 AM Edited by SonOfLiberty, 13 March 2014 - 10:52 AM.

Personally I don't even consider GTA V's story to be its biggest problem. Taste in story is subjective. I didn't love the story nor hated it.

My gripes with GTA V are mostly gameplay related like how the properties feel like they were a last minute rush and it seems when I made a thread addressing this most people agreed.

The lack of focus on criminal related activities is another and well just lacking side missions in general for multiple protagonists.

If I had to be honest GTA V's story is acceptable stacked up against other games, but I feel its gameplay issues are more of a cause of concern than its story.
  • Official General, Ermac., Sting4S and 1 other like this

gtaxpert
  • gtaxpert

that's how I dooz it

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:51 PM Edited by gtaxpert, 13 March 2014 - 01:58 PM.

Yeah, CantThinkOfOne2013... I don't think you read OP or other cliche GTA V criticisms well. It is mostly about how annoying the police is, how regenaritive health suck, how everybody hates online, lack of interiors, lower amount of storyline missions compared to IV, people who hate Yoga, not enough gang related crime... arcady driving... Sure there are enough complaints about the story, but most of them are about gameplay.

• Sting4S likes this

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:16 PM

I like story as well but gameplay is what really matters and V's story is much better than people give it credit for. I would much rather have a game like this than MGS4 which was 60% cutscene. One of them was literally 45 minutes. I don't want to watch that.

GTA V's story was quite weak, it's a generally accepted viewpoint by many on here. From that significant element of GTA forum members, there is no more credit to give to V's story, it is what it is. 

But just like Son Of Liberty stated already, V's story was not solely my biggest problem, although I was still very disappointed by it. My other very major problem with the game was how poorly many of the most important and good features were implemented, or were lacking within the gameplay and game's structure/design. Had all of this been done to an excellent level, I might not have been so focused on how the weak storyline turned out to be.

The game had a weak story, okay, gameplay is more important than story in the eyes of many, point taken and understood. But, that's just the problem for me - the story was a bit of a letdown and the gameplay was a bit of a letdown for me too. That's were I have a real issue with this game. Too much was lacking in the gameplay for me to just overlook the story and say "oh it's ok if the story is sh*t, because GTA is all about the gameplay anyway". There were very few side missions relating to decent, interesting and fun criminal activities, too much focus on simple leisure stuff (some boring like yoga), not enough interiors, nothing much exciting really to see or do in the countryside (and LS to some extent), and the best random events are scripted to happen just once. With all these flaws going against the gameplay, how can I possibly say with confidence "it's the gameplay that matters", when the gameplay itself is not as great as it could have been ?

Sorry man, your logic just don't cut the ice for me in this case. 

• nobum62 likes this

Militia
  • Militia

Unique/Proof/EC Vehicle Collector

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:41 PM

...I just want more storage space for vehicles.  That is actually my biggest problem with GTA V.  I am "easy going" as the stuff most people name, I can look beyond that.  It just baffles me how we get new DLC vehicles AND the vehicles that were in the original game and I can't store EVERYTHING I want like I could in Vice City and San Andreas.  III was pretty neat with the Import/Export garages on the islands of Portland and Shoreside Vale.  Not to mention the Import/Export Crane for Emergency/Police/Military vehicles.  Once you delivered all the vehicles to the two garages and crane, you could go back at any time and use the vehicles as many times as you want - This was an AWESOME feature, imo.  16 cars in each garage, giving you a grand total of 32 cars in two garages, plus the Crane which had the Police Car, Enforcer, FBI Kuruma, Barracks OL, Rhino Tank, Ambulance, and Fire Truck.  If you add these 7, then you have a total of 39 total vehicles which are yours to own forever!  Plus your safehouse garages which can hold 4-5 vehicles.  So yeah, GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas were king for storage space.  IV and V not so much.  They went backward with IV and only gave you 10 total parking spots and it was kinda buggy how some of the NPC vehicles would knock your vehicles out of their parking spaces and they were gone forever.  GTA V is a bit better, but STILL not enough room to store all the vehicles I want.  A game called "Grand Theft AUTO," you'd assume there would be unlimited storage space to store any vehicle you want - especially in a game that has the most vehicles to date in any GTA game.  V has way more than any game to date, imo...

So yeah, storage space is a problem for me and so is the helipad/hanger system.  What you steal should be stored forever like the bought items in your D-Pad list.  It's absolute bullsh*t that once you switch items, it's gone unless you reload your game and not save over it.  And just the countless bugs this game has leaves me to think it was surely a rush job just like SonOfLiberty suggested with the "last minute" addition of these sh*tty business' and even the last minute of the Airport adding in the "Jet" where you don't see anyone boarding the plane or getting out of the plane once landed.  GTA V = Rushed Job.

Bill Williamson
  • Bill Williamson

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:55 PM

...I just want more storage space for vehicles.  That is actually my biggest problem with GTA V.  I am "easy going" as the stuff most people name, I can look beyond that.  It just baffles me how we get new DLC vehicles AND the vehicles that were in the original game and I can't store EVERYTHING I want like I could in Vice City and San Andreas.  III was pretty neat with the Import/Export garages on the islands of Portland and Shoreside Vale.  Not to mention the Import/Export Crane for Emergency/Police/Military vehicles.  Once you delivered all the vehicles to the two garages and crane, you could go back at any time and use the vehicles as many times as you want - This was an AWESOME feature, imo.  16 cars in each garage, giving you a grand total of 32 cars in two garages, plus the Crane which had the Police Car, Enforcer, FBI Kuruma, Barracks OL, Rhino Tank, Ambulance, and Fire Truck.  If you add these 7, then you have a total of 39 total vehicles which are yours to own forever!  Plus your safehouse garages which can hold 4-5 vehicles.  So yeah, GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas were king for storage space.  IV and V not so much.  They went backward with IV and only gave you 10 total parking spots and it was kinda buggy how some of the NPC vehicles would knock your vehicles out of their parking spaces and they were gone forever.  GTA V is a bit better, but STILL not enough room to store all the vehicles I want.  A game called "Grand Theft AUTO," you'd assume there would be unlimited storage space to store any vehicle you want - especially in a game that has the most vehicles to date in any GTA game.  V has way more than any game to date, imo...

So yeah, storage space is a problem for me and so is the helipad/hanger system.  What you steal should be stored forever like the bought items in your D-Pad list.  It's absolute bullsh*t that once you switch items, it's gone unless you reload your game and not save over it.  And just the countless bugs this game has leaves me to think it was surely a rush job just like SonOfLiberty suggested with the "last minute" addition of these sh*tty business' and even the last minute of the Airport adding in the "Jet" where you don't see anyone boarding the plane or getting out of the plane once landed.  GTA V = Rushed Job.

GTA forums - a place where intelligence goes to die

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:10 PM

I'm the same, people think I can't appreciate a great story but that's not true, the truth is that I can't appreciate a great story and the gameplay is either lacking or boring, take Mass Effect 2 for example,  ME2 had a better story than GTA V but I still enjoyed GTA V's story a lot more because the gameplay in ME2 was, I can't emphasise how boring it was. I agree that the story in GTA V is much better than everyone gives it credit for, I still enjoyed it a lot and it is the best story we are going to get while still retaining a quality level of gameplay.

And uggh, MGS4, I think it was more than 60% of cutscenes(one cutscene was 90 minutes and it only had 4 hours of gameplay) but that is beyond the point, the point is that (I know this is off topic but the mention of MGS4 makes me think to bring it up) everyone whines about optional cash cards but no one complained that MGS4's multiplayer required you to pay for content rather than unlocking it (think of it like compulsory cash cards) and you even had to pay for extra character slots.

Yeah, CantThinkOfOne2013... I don't think you read OP or other cliche GTA V criticisms well. It is mostly about how annoying the police is, how regenaritive health suck, how everybody hates online, lack of interiors, lower amount of storyline missions compared to IV, people who hate Yoga, not enough gang related crime... arcady driving... Sure there are enough complaints about the story, but most of them are about gameplay.

I read the OP, I was responding to another user in my post, and yes I know, people have though issues (although I personally disagree with them), but I was referring to the users who whine about storytelling and call GTA V fans childish and call them childish names.

This is a general question, how come people think that GTA V is rushed (a game that cost $256 million to make) for what ever reason, yes I have never seen any complaints regarding the subpar vehicle variety in GTA IV?

727gta
  • 727gta

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:54 PM

months after the game came out you all still rant on the same thing. 

GTA V is boring, GTA V is masterpiece etc GO OUTSIDE 

Get an original and different thought between yourselves and do something worthwile in your life. I traded the game in, it was sh*t then moved on. So SHOULD U 

R* made some of dat  $$$ from gullible idiots from c*nts like masterfocker who believe this game is best in da generation when it isn't the best GTA game or even the best game in the last 12 months

ur're all boring and cry over the same thing every day. Seriousl everything that has been said on this game is out there so why carry on debating it? retards  

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Public Enemy #1

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:24 PM Edited by TheMasterfocker, 13 March 2014 - 11:06 PM.

R* made some of dat  $$$ from gullible idiots from c*nts like masterfocker who believe this game is best in da generation when it isn't the best GTA game or even the best game in the last 12 months

It's a good thing you know so much! I mean, I've said repeatedly GTA V isn't even my GOTY, but you can be sure it's my bestest game ever! :rol:

I'm also glad your opinion is fact!  :lol:

Yeah...no.  :facedesk:

If you don't like reading it, then do what you did with V and leave the forum. Wow, that's a hard thought, huh!?

• Official General and HaythamKenway like this

Militia
  • Militia

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:15 PM Edited by Militia, 14 March 2014 - 12:23 AM.

Yeah, I know, right?  You and tons of other people don't make any sense.

Lol, you joined two weeks ago, have 9 posts, and 2 likes.  You really know your stuff....

months after the game came out you all still rant on the same thing. 

GTA V is boring, GTA V is masterpiece etc GO OUTSIDE 

Get an original and different thought between yourselves and do something worthwile in your life. I traded the game in, it was sh*t then moved on. So SHOULD U 

ur're all boring and cry over the same thing every day. Seriousl everything that has been said on this game is out there so why carry on debating it? retards  

Oh, look!  Another idiot that deserves to be slapped with a fish and can't write proper English words.

Dat educcattion reall paid in da end, broo

• G.S.T and TheMasterfocker like this

Bill Williamson
  • Bill Williamson

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:57 PM

Yeah, I know, right?  You and tons of other people don't make any sense.

Lol, you joined two weeks ago, have 9 posts, and 2 likes.  You really know you're stuff....

I know a child when I see one...and it s "your stuff" not "you re", since you like to mock other people s grammar...anyway, if you wish to continue spewing your nonsense, do it by PM, no need to derail this thread any further

Militia
  • Militia

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:06 AM Edited by Militia, 14 March 2014 - 12:15 AM.

I don't take trolls seriously, you're a fool and that is all there is to it.  I was on topic, and stated what I didn't like in GTA V, then I get a comment from a troll (that's you) about absolutely nothing related to the topic.  So to recap, who's derailing the thread?  Dumbass, lol

Anyways, I wipe my ass with people like you.  So here, smell more sh*t! :)

Meanwhile, I will wait for your next comment to have another laugh.

Edit:  Oh, well I had a look at your other measily 8 posts and I can see you have nothing to give in to ANY thread you replied to, to date! - http://gtaforums.com...ill-williamson/

And I gave you a lovely 1/5 rating in your profile.

• gtaxpert and Bill Williamson like this

nobum62
  • nobum62

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:24 AM

Ratings and the date you joined mean jacksh*t.
  • gunziness likes this

Militia
  • Militia

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:27 AM Edited by Militia, 14 March 2014 - 12:41 AM.

Ratings and the date you joined mean jacksh*t.

Ratings imo show that others think you're credible.  This guy isn't credible at all.  Then bashes me, and the forum about intelligence.  Yet...He joined an unintelligent forum.  No logic in that, either.  Like I said, he's a troll, nothing more.

Still, just go look in his profile at the other 8 posts, none of them are on topic where he replied except for one time where nobody replied back to him.  I stated what I needed to say in this topic above (which wasn't even off topic), and then get some random comment that has absolutely no meaning.

That's like saying "This sucks" and giving no reason as to why.  That's basically a troll, someone who is commenting and having 0 logic to their posts.  I don't take those kinds of comments seriously.  Those are the comments you laugh at and scratch your head and say "what?"

• Cutter De Blanc and Bill Williamson like this

G.S.T
  • G.S.T

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:35 AM Edited by xXGst0395Xx, 14 March 2014 - 08:37 AM.

I just want to say as well, another complaint I had was things that seemed like you could do but you really can't. The lack of interiors bothers me because switching characters has the protagonists sometimes leaving places that you can't even enter. I was also disappointed with the lack of ability to drive trains outside of missions. The mechanic is clearly still there, but it's only drivable in ONE mission. I had a feeling you would be able to drive them at will since they showed off trains in screenshots and trailers. I feel like Rockstar just likes to tease people about stuff that's not really there, and put unnecessary restrictions on what is supposed to be an open-world sandbox where you should be able to do anything. I don't remember earlier GTA games doing this at all.

• Cutter De Blanc, Sting4S and Militia like this

Bill Williamson
  • Bill Williamson

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:20 AM

I don't take trolls seriously, you're a fool and that is all there is to it.  I was on topic, and stated what I didn't like in GTA V, then I get a comment from a troll (that's you) about absolutely nothing related to the topic.  So to recap, who's derailing the thread?  Dumbass, lol

Anyways, I wipe my ass with people like you.  So here, smell more sh*t! :)

Meanwhile, I will wait for your next comment to have another laugh.

Edit:  Oh, well I had a look at your other measily 8 posts and I can see you have nothing to give in to ANY thread you replied to, to date! - http://gtaforums.com...ill-williamson/

And I gave you a lovely 1/5 rating in your profile.

So, you say you don t care but you went through my every post and gave me a bad rating, then you make two posts not relevant to the topic at hand...try listening to your own advice and ignore this post if you can (oh and don t worry, I don t care about you enough to check your posts let alone give you a bad rating)..."Anyways, I wipe my ass with people like you.  So here, smell more sh*t! :)" - As I said, a child

I just want to say as well, another complaint I had was things that seemed like you could do but you really can't. The lack of interiors bothers me because switching characters has the protagonists sometimes leaving places that you can't even enter. I was also disappointed with the lack of ability to drive trains outside of missions. The mechanic is clearly still there, but it's only drivable in ONE mission. I had a feeling you would be able to drive them at will since they showed off trains in screenshots and trailers. I feel like Rockstar just likes to tease people about stuff that's not really there, and put unnecessary restrictions on what is supposed to be an open-world sandbox where you should be able to do anything. I don't remember earlier GTA games doing this at all.

Well, the inability to drive trains didn t really bother me, I mean, unless you wish to derail them it would be a useless feature; About the lack of interiors I agree, it would be great if they at least opened up those mission interiors that are locked; and just one enterable night club would be great, we have all these flashy cars and outfits, but nowhere to actually show them off

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:52 PM

Well, the inability to drive trains didn t really bother me, I mean, unless you wish to derail them it would be a useless feature; About the lack of interiors I agree, it would be great if they at least opened up those mission interiors that are locked; and just one enterable night club would be great, we have all these flashy cars and outfits, but nowhere to actually show them off

Yeah I agree with this. I was never really into driving trains in GTA in the first place, although I tried it a few times in SA. It's nice to have, but I personlly don't think it's an essential feature to include in GTA games. I'm happy as long as trains exist and can used as transport to get various areas across the map. 

The lack of interiors was one of Rockstar's worst offences when making V. 

• Bill Williamson likes this

FANTOMTRON
  • FANTOMTRON

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:23 PM

We need more open world city games.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

/ / / / / AMG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:18 PM

I think there was a missed opportunity as far as town. Every heard of towns like Big Bear Lake and Lake Arrowhead? I speculated on stuff like this in one of my earlier threads: See link

A decent lakeside or seaside town with a purchasable lakeside or seaside house would have been lovely; I crave lovely scenery too. The lack of beautiful towns like these and the overall layout of the map bothered me a lot.

Druffmaul
  • Druffmaul

Dan Is The Bastard

• Members

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:29 PM Edited by Druffmaul, 14 March 2014 - 06:31 PM.

The lack of enterable restaurants really bugged me at first too. Ever since trailer 1 came out, I couldn't wait to go into an Up-N-Atom and buy my first burger. Sometimes I'd be playing GTA IV on a lazy weekend afternoon, and around lunchtime I'd have Niko go into Burger Shot and eat a burger. Then I'd turn the game off and go to Burger King. I was bummed that I couldn't go to Up-N-Atom in the game and then turn it off and go to In-N-Out. Yes, I am a dork.

But after a while, I realized that tons of enterable convenience stores that YOU CAN ROB more than makes up for losing the fast food joints. 

nobum62
  • nobum62

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:34 AM Edited by nobum62, 15 March 2014 - 12:54 AM.

We need more open world city games.

There are plenty of those games. Try out sleeping dogs

Von_Von
  • Von_Von

Vercetti lives!

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:06 AM

Story Line DLC. Thats my thought.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users