My Final Thoughts on GTA V

208 replies to this topic
Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2016

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:37 PM Edited by StingrayX, 12 March 2014 - 03:39 PM.

Fuzzknuckles - I hate to side with Official General in this argument, but Vice City was the first GTA to have a really lively, detailed atmosphere.
  • Official General likes this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:37 PM

Most of the things you say about VC, and what it brought to the table, were arguably brought by III first, and then some. 

I don't know what things you are talking about but this what I'm talking about regarding VC's contribution to GTA :

* Motorbikes and scooters

* Business and home property assets/ownership

* Regular extra income from various investments

* Building a criminal empire

* Change of clothes/outfits

* Player-coordinated and controlled bank robbery mission

* Assassination missions

* Many different interiors like fast food outlets, restaurants, nightclubs, stores, the mall, etc.

* Robbing stores for cash

* Taxi service to drop player off at checkpoints

* Protagonist actually speaks

* Armed bodyguards

* Drug-dealing side missions

All those things were first seen in GTA through VC, and I'm sure I've even missed some out.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:42 PM Edited by StingrayX, 12 March 2014 - 03:43 PM.

I'm not saying this to be rude, its how I feel. Fuzzknucles is being ignorant. To say Vice City didn't really bring much to the table is as ludicrous as somebody saying Vice City was a bad game yet they've never played it. If you really feel Vice City did not bring much to the table, you must have barely played the damn game. Look at what is listed above. Stop being ridiculous, people. Just stop...

Zodape
  • Zodape

CABINETS

• The Yardies
  • Argentina

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

GTA III is so underrated...

• Fuzzknuckles and Eutyphro like this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:00 PM

GTA III is so underrated...

Word.

I'm not saying this to be rude, its how I feel. Fuzzknucles is being ignorant. To say Vice City didn't really bring much to the table is as ludicrous as somebody saying Vice City was a bad game yet they've never played it. If you really feel Vice City did not bring much to the table, you must have barely played the damn game. Look at what is listed above. Stop being ridiculous, people. Just stop...

I've played as much of VC as I have of III, which is marginally less than San An. 

I don't view those as revolutionary additions - so, what happened to the tolerating of opinions people were talking about earlier? Yeah, another double standard. Nice one. 

So, so far, my opinions have been called bullsh*t and I've now been called ignorant. I'm tempted to hand in my mod keys at this point, so I don't have them removed when I fully vent. 

TheFoxRiverFugitive
  • TheFoxRiverFugitive

Sly Fox

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:01 PM Edited by WhatsStrength, 12 March 2014 - 04:01 PM.

Gotta to agree that Vice City is highly overrated. 

Most people only like it cause of the 80's vibe. Have you guys went back and played it? I have and reached 100% for the first time for that game and I can tell you that

- Maps sucks ( Too flat and roads should not start at one side of the map and end at the other side. Not to mention that useless beach to take up half a island )

- Guns are decent ( SA fixed the targeting system for the 3D era for consoles )

- Gameplay feels the same as III

- Still can't swim but they made a huge beach 

Only good things are the businesses and python. Sure they added planes but they were no where as good as SA planes. 

I can't agree with that. And I cannot believe that some people on this thread have the audacity to play down what Vice City  brought to the table for the entire GTA series. VC was groundbreaking and revolutionary for it's time. Very much so. VC set the template for SA to become technically the best GTA feature-wise to date (excluding HD graphics and effects). 

Vice City did do lots of good things too.

- Good Story

- Scarface type land ( aka their own version of Miami )

- Colors

- Good music

- crouching

- Python ( I still feel this is one of the best guns in GTA )

- Business feature

Since you like Vice City so much what do you feel it added to the gameplay of GTA? The only thing Vice City added to me was a great 80's vibe. 

-Helicopters

-Planes

-Bikes

-Outfits

-Several melee weapons

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:04 PM

Every GTA brought something revolutionary to the table. That is all I need to say.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:14 PM

VC is probably the closest to perfection that a GTA game has achieved. Every GTA is great in my eyes but the others all have some kind of flaws that are sort of pointless or they cut out something that would have made the game even better. In no way did it take away from the games but those flaws were there. VC has no real annoying flaws and maybe the only things it misses are better customization but that is it. There are no wasted moments in VC. It is the one time when R suppressed their need to create pointless extras like yoga, the zero missions or annoying phone calls from your cousin.

• Official General and Scaglietti like this

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

poetic justice

• Members
  • Botswana

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:38 PM Edited by gtaxpert, 12 March 2014 - 05:02 PM.

Every GTA brought something revolutionary to the table. That is all I need to say.

Yeah... but, going from 2d to 3d is hard to beat in that area. It's the only real revolution in GTA I think, and maybe going to HD to a lesser extent. The other improvements were just expanding on what they were already doing.

It's like.. you've got a 3d crime game about a dark haired guy shooting people and driving cars... Then you make it a glitzy 80's game about a dark haired guy (edit: who has a voice) shooting people and driving cars, with more stuff to do and more guns and cars (edit: and bikes and aircraft). That's not a revolution. And then you make a 90's game about a black guy shooting people and driving cars, with even loads more stuff to do and to have, (edit: and swimming) and a way bigger map. None of it is revolutionary. None of it is nearly as revolutionary as what they did with the multiple protagonists in V.

• Geralt of Rivia and Scaglietti like this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:46 PM

Yeah... but, going from 2d to 3d is hard to beat in that area. It's the only real revolution in GTA I think, and maybe going to HD to a lesser extent. The other improvements were just expanding on what they were already doing.

It's like.. you've got a 3d crime game about a dark haired guy shooting people and driving cars... Then you make it a glitzy 3d 80's game about a dark haired guy shooting people and driving cars, with more stuff to do and more guns and cars. That's not a revolution.

VC also brought bikes and the ability to fly helicopters and some planes. It also gave the protagonist a voice and a personality plus it brought a lot of side stuff.

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

poetic justice

• Members
  • Botswana

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:52 PM Edited by gtaxpert, 12 March 2014 - 05:17 PM.

VC also brought bikes and the ability to fly helicopters and some planes. It also gave the protagonist a voice and a personality plus it brought a lot of side stuff.

Oh sh*t I thought about the protagonist voice, but then forgot typing it out. Well, still... GTA 3 had voice over work. So it's not that revolutionary, sorry. The comment I wrote is kind of crude, but just look at the big line in it: not much revolutionary happened between 3 and SA. Nothing as revolutionary as character switching, and definitely not as revolutionary as an extra dimension. I also forgot about swimming in SA, which is pretty major in a way, but not revolutionary imo.

I haven't slept in a while so I'm editing my comments a lot lol..

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:14 PM

Fuzzknuckles put it best here:

Adding more content is not revolutionary. Changing the style of the game completely and adding an extra dimension, is. 

And simply put at that.

Quite possibly, but as far as I'm concerned, the only games to have had a hugely significant revolutionary impact on the way we play the GTA games, are III & V. The reasons for the former need no explaining, and as for V; it really annoys me how some people on this forum are so blinded by their hate that they fail to understand or appreciate just how complicated and complex the multi-protag thing must've been to programme. I'm no gaming developer, but I don't imagine I require some computing degree to have a somewhat basic understanding that pulling off such an ambitious mechanic on a game of this scope and size, and have it flow so smoothly on the platforms of last, is a pretty dam revolutionary achievement.

VC is probably the closest to perfection that a GTA game has achieved. Every GTA is great in my eyes but the others all have some kind of flaws that are sort of pointless or they cut out something that would have made the game even better. In no way did it take away from the games but those flaws were there. VC has no real annoying flaws and maybe the only things it misses are better customization but that is it. There are no wasted moments in VC. It is the one time when R suppressed their need to create pointless extras like yoga, the zero missions or annoying phone calls from your cousin.

Perhaps it was "closest to perfection" was because it had nowhere near the ambition of the subsequent games. III was the first post-top-down game - a prototype if you will - so it can be forgiven for its imperfections. VC was a game released one year after, which is further proof that VC isn't so hugely revolutionary if that was all the time R* felt was required to develop the game.

• Fuzzknuckles, Eutyphro and I<3GTAV like this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:21 PM

... suppressed their need to create pointless extras like yoga, the zero missions or annoying phone calls from your cousin.

Apart from those awful RC missions. Which went on to become the Zero missions. 

So... 

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:23 PM

... suppressed their need to create pointless extras like yoga, the zero missions or annoying phone calls from your cousin.

So... 

I'd blocked out that RC biplane race and that bombing mission.  Thanks guys, for bringing the horror back. Anyway, the VC equivalent of yoga is that beachball-bouncing mini-game.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:27 PM

So... 

I'd blocked out that RC biplane race and that bombing mission.  Thanks guys, for bringing the horror back. Anyway, the VC equivalent of yoga is that beachball-bouncing mini-game.

No way. It was the f*cking Ice Cream Van (though, as everyone knows, I really like the yoga in V, because f*ck you)

Lock N' Stock
  • Lock N' Stock

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:31 PM Edited by xXGst0395Xx, 12 March 2014 - 05:31 PM.

That's true. I mean, GTA V does do some things right and add stuff that wasn't in previous games like a multiple protagonist system (unless EFLC counts) and a dynamic music score, along with various improved features. The game is not without flaws like I pointed out, but it still does things right, just a bit less than it could have done imo.

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

poetic justice

• Members
  • Botswana

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:45 PM Edited by gtaxpert, 12 March 2014 - 05:46 PM.

Apart from those awful RC missions. 

Well, I like Zero's missions so f*ck all three of you. ;) Learn not to suck as much. ;) jk It took me a few days to beat all the Zero missions when I was 13 too. But now I would do them all in much less tries. When missions are too easy, everybody whines, then everybody gets a challenge and they still whine..They are doable, and I like them. I know you guys got fulfillment when you passed them, I know it. Having to work hard for you percentual completion is so good.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:45 PM

So... 

Those were fun. The Zero missions were just annoying and he was such an annoying twerp.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:49 PM

Lucchese - Only III & V? I'm not trying to be a IV fanboy, but hasn't IV majorly impacted GTA? The new engine, the more in depth ways to tell a story, et cetera?

• Eutyphro and Algonquin Assassin like this

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

poetic justice

• Members
  • Botswana

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:06 PM Edited by gtaxpert, 12 March 2014 - 06:10 PM.

Lucchese - Only III & V? I'm not trying to be a IV fanboy, but hasn't IV majorly impacted GTA? The new engine, the more in depth ways to tell a story, et cetera?

I agree. GTA in HD is the biggest GTA revolutionary change I've witnessed. I remember when first playing it I was completely blown away.

• Scaglietti likes this

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:57 PM

It's like.. you've got a 3d crime game about a dark haired guy shooting people and driving cars... Then you make it a glitzy 80's game about a dark haired guy (edit: who has a voice) shooting people and driving cars, with more stuff to do and more guns and cars (edit: and bikes and aircraft). That's not a revolution. And then you make a 90's game about a black guy shooting people and driving cars, with even loads more stuff to do and to have, (edit: and swimming) and a way bigger map. None of it is revolutionary. None of it is nearly as revolutionary as what they did with the multiple protagonists in V.

Swimming kinda is. How many times have you died in III and VC when you went in the water? I know I died a lot of times. Now you don't have to worry about a cheap death. 

• Niobium likes this

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

poetic justice

• Members
  • Botswana

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:14 PM

Swimming kinda is. How many times have you died in III and VC when you went in the water? I know I died a lot of times. Now you don't have to worry about a cheap death. 

Swimming was among the biggest things in there, definitely. And it was actually diving too in SA. Though flying is a big one too. It's like appels and oranges this.

I'm starting to get sick of the word 'revolutionary'. It's like we're debating Karl Marx over here.

Niobium
  • Niobium

england is my city

• Members
  • Canada
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:11 PM

guys, vice city is revolutionary.

if there's one thing i missed from V, it is starting out the game playing as a protag with only like $50 to start out, and then climbing the hierarchical ladder and rising to the top.

vice city was the first to do that, if i remember correctly.

• Official General likes this

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:32 PM

Explain your position.

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

GTA Series Special Vehicle Collector

• Feroci
  • United-States
  • The collector [Amazing work on the Special Vehicle Guide!]

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:41 PM

Love how the thread went from "final thoughts on GTA V" to "which game is the more revolutionary in the series"

I must admit, I started this back on page 4 I believe, toward the end, right before it reached page 5 when I gave my ratings to III, VC, SA, IV and V.  I still stand by my word though.

1. San Andreas (9/10)

2. Vice City (9/10)

3. IV (8/10)

4. V (8/10)

5. III (8/10)

• Scaglietti and Luuk' like this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:48 PM

Explain your position.

Why, TheMasterfocker? You're looking like me now: http://gtaforums.com...s/?p=1064925495

I thought it wasn't necessary to ask somebody to explain their opinions.

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:49 PM Edited by TheMasterfocker, 12 March 2014 - 08:50 PM.

Explain your position.

Why, TheMasterfocker? You're looking like me now: http://gtaforums.com...s/?p=1064925495

I thought it wasn't necessary to ask somebody to explain their opinions.

I liked that post because it made me laugh, not because I agreed with it.

I read 'HOW DARE YOU!' in a great voice and it made me chuckle.

You don't have to explain your position, but it's better if you do.

• Scaglietti likes this

Niobium
  • Niobium

england is my city

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:05 PM Edited by nobum62, 12 March 2014 - 09:06 PM.

Explain your position.

i just did...

"if there's one thing i missed from V, it is starting out the game playing as a protag with only like $50 to start out, and then climbing the hierarchical ladder and rising to the top.

vice city was the first to do that, if i remember correctly."

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:08 PM Edited by TheMasterfocker, 12 March 2014 - 09:18 PM.

Explain your position.

i just did...

"if there's one thing i missed from V, it is starting out the game playing as a protag with only like $50 to start out, and then climbing the hierarchical ladder and rising to the top.

vice city was the first to do that, if i remember correctly."

Being the first to do a certain type of story-arch isn't revolutionary...At least I don't see it as so.

You may disagree with me.

And even then, you're not even certain if Vice City did it first.

Niobium
  • Niobium

england is my city

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:38 PM

And even then, you're not even certain if Vice City did it first.

oh my f*cking god.

so what?

and it is revolutionary, because since vice city, every GTA has been doing that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users