208 replies to this topic
Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:42 PM

Not that you despise V, but you come of as aggressive sometimes (A lot of the time).

You shouldn't let posts get to you.

Trust me, I know ;)

• Scaglietti likes this

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:54 PM

Not that you despise V, but you come off as aggressive sometimes (A lot of the time).

You shouldn't let posts get to you.

Trust me, I know ;)

We all come off as someone. 

You a Rockstar Fanboy

Me a Rockstar hater/ Naughty Dog Fanboy

Doesn't make them true but its how people see it with our posts. 

Also fixed off for you. ( LOL I had to be a grammar Nazi for one post. )

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

If anyone is wondering why I don't post anymore, it's be

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:22 PM

scripted cop chases

Scripted? the cops in GTA IV were scripted, it was made so that a wanted level of 3 stars of higher could not be escaped with a helicopter.

Don't try and say that I love to bash V because I don't. I do get some enjoyment from it and it wasn't a major flop in my eyes. Do some of you lot really have the impression that I despise V?

If you don't love to bash V, don't go around calling everyone who says good things about it childish names, that's why people get the impression that you despise V and it's fans.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:37 PM

Firstly, I was referring to those scripted NPC cop chases that pop out of nowhere with NPC drivers, if you'd read you'd see that I said I was cruising in a civil manner without getting into trouble.

Secondly, didn't I already explain that already? I'm not going to do so again.
  • MetalMilitia89 likes this

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

If anyone is wondering why I don't post anymore, it's be

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:21 AM

Firstly, I was referring to those scripted NPC cop chases that pop out of nowhere with NPC drivers, if you'd read you'd see that I said I was cruising in a civil manner without getting into trouble.

Secondly, didn't I already explain that already? I'm not going to do so again.

Ok, sorry, I thought you were referring to the wanted level mecahncis.

Secondly, I don't recall you explaining anything about that and I was just answering your question about people having the impression that you hate GTA V.

Niobium
  • Niobium

PROFESSIONAL IV FANBOY & SH*TPOSTER

• Members
  • Canada
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:09 AM

I liked the Tennis and Golf better than the Bowling and Underground Fights in EFLC tbh

In TBoGT you mean,EFLC is the compilation of the two episodic Installments (TLAD and TBoGT) :)

No sh*t sherlock...

OT: I agree with 100% of what OP said. List of things I disliked/hated in the storyline:

-trevor
-how they handled johnny and the lost
-lack of the pursuit of the almighty dollar (for 3 out of 6 of the heists, you are doing them for the FIB and not yourself. For 2 out of 6 of the heists, you make no profit)
-how they handled madrazo's character (he went from a pissed off powerful psychotic Mexican to a guy who is afraid of a man who lives in a trailer (trevor). Wtf? If trevor tore madrazo's ear off, madrazo would have had Trevor tortured to death or something. Instead he just pisses himself when he sees Trevor. Wtf. Madrazo would have been a much better antagonist than douchebag weston and scumbag haines)
-franklin and Trevor's forced friendship. Franklin just briefly met trevor in that mission where you "rescue" Mr K and now they are best friends like Michael and Franklin?
-Mr K torture scene. After torturing Mr K, Trevor is like "torture is rong but I did it for the lolz"
-and there are more points but I don't want to list everything. Ugh this game...

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:46 AM

I'm seriously getting fed up of everyone being a critic on this forum. The game has been out for months I'm sure everyone knows their own opinion and in my opinion I don't really care what they think of the game. I like to think of it as marmite, you either love it or hate it end of.

That's a lovely sentiment, but the internet has given every motherf*cker on the planet a voice, and they all want their voice to be heard at greater volume than anyone else. And they've all forgotten the definition of 'subjectivity', confusing their own opinions with actual factuals. 

• Officer Ronson and Staten like this

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:55 AM Edited by Cutter De Blanc, 11 March 2014 - 10:06 AM.

I like GTA V, I really do. It's probably the best GTA yet. Everything in the OP is pretty spot on though, I think. I feel that on both a technical and narrative level Red Dead Redemption is a better game. Almost all of the aspects that the two games share, Red Dead does them better. Blood, physics, the feel of weapons... just the fact that you can stop at Casa Madrugada have a drink, play a game of poker and go into ANY of the rooms (not just yours)... Maybe I'm not explaining it right, but that game world just feels alot more solid and well thought out.    

And just one last thing, off topic but relating to the discussion, I really wish you guys would stop calling eachother out, with names like fanboy, immature, childish, stuff like that. What do you hope to accomplish? Everybody is gonna have their opinions, derailing the topic with sh*t slinging isn't going to change that, it'll just make the topic bigger but filled with useless mess. How's that song go, "Most people don't change, they only get old..."      

• Official General likes this

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

By: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:12 AM

GTA 5 is my favourite game in this Legendary Franchise,but when it comes to Wanted Level,Chinatown Wars' Wanted Level blows every OWG out of water and even Sleeping Dogs copied CTW's Wanted Level (Smash Cop cars to loose them) here is a video:

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:59 PM Edited by StingrayX, 11 March 2014 - 12:59 PM.

I'm seriously getting fed up of everyone being a critic on this forum. The game has been out for months I'm sure everyone knows their own opinion and in my opinion I don't really care what they think of the game. I like to think of it as marmite, you either love it or hate it end of.

That's a lovely sentiment, but the internet has given every motherf*cker on the planet a voice, and they all want their voice to be heard at greater volume than anyone else. And they've all forgotten the definition of 'subjectivity', confusing their own opinions with actual factuals.
I think most people here just want to state their opinions and be gone til asked again. But people just love to come up with assumptions "That bitch just loves to find stuff to complain about" "What a flipping fanboy who just thinks V is perfect (even though he/she only stated one opinion or something like that)"
  • word is bond and MetalMilitia89 like this

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

• GTA Series Staff
  • None
  • Best Ledby 2015
    Best Ledby 2014
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:24 PM Edited by Barefoot Tiger, 11 March 2014 - 01:25 PM.

everyone knows their own opinion and in my opinion I don't really care what they think of the game.

Surely the whole point of a fine forum like this is to read other opinions and share your own? Discussion, debate and even good natured argument are in themselves a rewarding extension of the gaming experience.

I like to think of it [the game] as marmite, you either love it or hate it end of.

Nonsense. The vast majority of gamers like the game but have reservations; some dislike the game but see it's good points.

Very, very few gamers deal in  absolutes. 

And arguments that conclude with the words 'end of' are very rarely the end of the argument...

• word is bond and MetalMilitia89 like this

MetalMilitia89
  • MetalMilitia89

GTA Series Special Vehicle Collector

• Feroci
  • United-States
  • The collector [Amazing work on the Special Vehicle Guide!]

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:27 PM Edited by Militia, 11 March 2014 - 04:28 PM.

I'd rate GTA games (that I own) like this from best to worst, and just because you see III at the bottom, I still rate it as a GREAT game, every GTA in the series has good points, and also bad points.  Also some of the games offer things I like more than others, but all in all, you gotta look at the BIG picture:

1. San Andreas (9/10)

2. Vice City (9/10)

3. IV (8/10)

4. V (8/10)

5. III (8/10)

As you can see NO game (imo) is a 10/10, but I love all five of these games almost the same for different reasons.  Rockstar likes to experiment I can see, as they take out stuff from past games, and add in new stuff even if it was a GREAT feature in the past.  It's just what they like to do!

• TheOtherRyan, Lock N' Stock, Geralt of Rivia and 1 other like this

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

kickin' the gong around

• Members
  • Aruba

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:38 PM Edited by gtaxpert, 11 March 2014 - 04:39 PM.

Vice City is so overrated. It's very stylish and cool and stuff, but it's so tiny and there is not that much content. People rating it over San Andreas, IV or V are being ridiculous. People rate it too high because of nostalgia.

• Fuzzknuckles and TheFoxRiverFugitive like this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:37 PM Edited by woggleman, 11 March 2014 - 06:37 PM.

I am one of those people that like the game very much but I do see it's flaws. I love the cars but I have no place to store all the ones I want and they need insurance and tracking in SP. I love the missions but there could have been more of them. I just defend it so much because I feel it doesn't deserve a lot of the criticism it gets. Does the weapon wheel really ruin the game? Does it really matter if phone calls are too clear? I also feel the countryside is vastly underrated though more forest would have been nice. I know this sounds weird but I love the white trash vibe in Sandy Shores.

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:49 PM

Actually even though Vice City might of had been smaller it still had even more details than San Andreas and by far felt more comfortable and looked pretty good. There was also a good deal of firearms and other vehicles.

Details such as the hit detection system, shoot somebody in the knee several times and it will explode into a rain of blood and they will fall down in an difference stance, or things such as the Kauffman Cab radios in where you get to hear Dorothy and other employees having a chat.

MetalMilitia89
  • MetalMilitia89

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:46 PM

Vice City is so overrated. It's very stylish and cool and stuff, but it's so tiny and there is not that much content. People rating it over San Andreas, IV or V are being ridiculous. People rate it too high because of nostalgia.

...Not again, someone offended over an opinion?   :lol:

III also has a small map, having a small map is only a tiny feature of the game, imo.  I don't need a big map to have fun.  I don't need a big map to mess with the police.  Vice City is awesome due to after 100% completion, you get infinite ammo, double armor, double health, a T-Shirt, armed body guards who follow you if you desire.  Not to mention essentially unlimited storage space for vehicles, unlike IV and V.  Like I said there is GOOD and BAD points for every game.  You can't possibly say one is better than another, they are all more or less the exact same for some reason or another.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:04 PM

Vice City was great. If you ask me none of the major GTAs are anything less than great.

• Eutyphro and MetalMilitia89 like this

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

kickin' the gong around

• Members
  • Aruba

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:38 PM Edited by gtaxpert, 12 March 2014 - 06:40 AM.

...Not again, someone offended over an opinion?   :lol:

III also has a small map, having a small map is only a tiny feature of the game, imo.  I don't need a big map to have fun.  I don't need a big map to mess with the police.  Vice City is awesome due to after 100% completion, you get infinite ammo, double armor, double health, a T-Shirt, armed body guards who follow you if you desire.  Not to mention essentially unlimited storage space for vehicles, unlike IV and V.  Like I said there is GOOD and BAD points for every game.  You can't possibly say one is better than another, they are all more or less the exact same for some reason or another.

I don't see how I was acting offended. Are you offended? Maybe you are projecting yourself on me. I was just stating my opinion.

Vice City was great. If you ask me none of the major GTAs are anything less than great.

I agree. They are all great. But some games (Vice City) get rated as the best ever due to nostalgia, and then new ones (V) get underrated due to them being new and bringing change. I just think V is a better game than Vice City. I think technology has made things move forward since then.

MetalMilitia89
  • MetalMilitia89

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:51 PM Edited by Militia, 11 March 2014 - 11:53 PM.

Well if you read what I said above, I talk about change and I except the change.  That isn't the problem at all.  It's not the nastalgia either, for the points once again I mentioned above...I simply like playing VC more than IV, V, or III.  But...Yet again, you can see what I rated them above.  No game is below an 8/10 in my eyes, and no game is above a 9/10 in my eyes, so they are more or less the same, again what I stated above...

Well, maybe "offended" isn't the word I should of used.  Still saying that it's rediculous that someone likes VC more than IV, V, or SA is basically telling me that you can't except the opinion of mine, or anyone else for that matter...

• HaythamKenway likes this

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

kickin' the gong around

• Members
  • Aruba

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:52 AM

Well, maybe "offended" isn't the word I should of used.  Still saying that it's rediculous that someone likes VC more than IV, V, or SA is basically telling me that you can't except the opinion of mine, or anyone else for that matter...

I just think those games are way ahead of VC (or III for that matter). If you say that McDonalds is better food than french haute cuisine then I could accept that opinion, as in, if that is your taste then good luck, but I'd still think it would be objectively ridiculous. Not that that example applies to what we were talking about, but it works as an example..

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

Soviet Connection

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:45 AM Edited by SonOfLiberty, 12 March 2014 - 01:47 AM.

IMO VC is still the best 3D era GTA. A big map isn't everything. For me it's on the same level as GTA IV and better than GTA V (technicalities aside).
  • Lock N' Stock and MetalMilitia89 like this

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

kickin' the gong around

• Members
  • Aruba

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:51 AM Edited by gtaxpert, 12 March 2014 - 02:28 AM.

IMO VC is still the best 3D era GTA. A big map isn't everything. For me it's on the same level as GTA IV and better than GTA V (technicalities aside).

True, but SA is better in every other even slightly objective way too, amount and variety of gameplay that is. Now we might come to a dislike for whatever story/characters/ gangsta theme, but if we push that all aside and leave that up to personal taste, then SA is simply way ahead of VC.

But I love VC though. It's a work of art. But I have to be real about it though.

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:06 AM

Well San Andreas kinda improved in a lot of aspects that were introduced in Vice City aswell as adding new ones, so I still regard it high above Vice City.

• Eutyphro likes this

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:24 AM

Gotta to agree that Vice City is highly overrated. 

Most people only like it cause of the 80's vibe. Have you guys went back and played it? I have and reached 100% for the first time for that game and I can tell you that

- Maps sucks ( Too flat and roads should not start at one side of the map and end at the other side. Not to mention that useless beach to take up half a island )

- Guns are decent ( SA fixed the targeting system for the 3D era for consoles )

- Gameplay feels the same as III

- Still can't swim but they made a huge beach 

Only good things are the businesses and python. Sure they added planes but they were no where as good as SA planes. 

• Eutyphro likes this

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Scavenger

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:17 AM

True, but SA is better in every other even slightly objective way too, amount and variety of gameplay that is. Now we might come to a dislike for whatever story/characters/ gangsta theme, but if we push that all aside and leave that up to personal taste, then SA is simply way ahead of VC.

But I love VC though. It's a work of art. But I have to be real about it though.

Of course SA is bigger and has more features. But video games aren't just a collection of gameplay mechanics. And different people look for different things in them. Video games really shouldn't be judged based on "game A has a parachute, game B does not, so game B sucks". If we did that, pretty much every open world game since SA would be sh*t and not worthy of playing.

Personally, I love VC. I love the atmosphere, soundtrack, characters, story, missions. From free-roaming perspective, VC doesn't have much to offer nowadays, but I still often return to it to replay the story. And there are still some things, such as assets, that no other GTA did as good as Vice City. Except Vice City Stories. But no one ever brings up VCS.

• TheOtherRyan, word is bond and MetalMilitia89 like this

TheFoxRiverFugitive
  • TheFoxRiverFugitive

Sly Fox

• Facade Corporation
  • United-States

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:22 AM Edited by WhatsStrength, 12 March 2014 - 07:26 AM.

Vice City is the only game in the series that I didn't finish. I thought it was too hard and I rage quit after failing the bank job repeatedly after months of on and off sessions. The music is great, the graphics are appealing and the story is interesting, but the gameplay is just really dated to me. I could never get used to the assault rifles in III and VC, they were too sensitive and switching to first person was disorienting. It felt like you died too easily as well, I remember getting gunned down so quickly in so many situations.The explosions were a bitch too, the blast radius was deceitful and often tricked me into thinking I was far enough away, only to have it kill me.

I don't hate VC, I just think it's a bit too hard for the wrong reasons.

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

kickin' the gong around

• Members
  • Aruba

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:33 AM Edited by gtaxpert, 12 March 2014 - 07:35 AM.

Of course SA is bigger and has more features. But video games aren't just a collection of gameplay mechanics. And different people look for different things in them. Video games really shouldn't be judged based on "game A has a parachute, game B does not, so game B sucks". If we did that, pretty much every open world game since SA would be sh*t and not worthy of playing.

Personally, I love VC. I love the atmosphere, soundtrack, characters, story, missions. From free-roaming perspective, VC doesn't have much to offer nowadays, but I still often return to it to replay the story. And there are still some things, such as assets, that no other GTA did as good as Vice City. Except Vice City Stories. But no one ever brings up VCS.

We have to try to compare games in some way. Someone might come in and say that Duke Nukem Forever is better than GTA V. There has to be a reasoning behind the fact that everybody would agree on that it's not. So it's not that subjective. Like I said, the most subjective things, whether the story/theme appealed to you, if you leave those out, then SA is miles ahead of Vice City.

Vice City is a beautiful game, one of the most stylish games of all time. I love it. It's a work of art and it might be offensive to call it overrated, but really it's just very far behind. Vice City Stories, same story. I think it comes up less because not as much people played it and by then it wasn't groundbreaking anymore.

SA might have amazing features, but it is very far behind compared to HD GTA in terms of how advanced the mechanics are (and obviously visuals). IV + EFLC has a lot to offer with more advanced gameplay (but not that big of a map I guess). SA forever in my heart though <3

itinerantchild
  • itinerantchild

I'm not your effing scooter brother!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:39 AM

I just thought I'd add a different perspective to the OP.

I was never a fan of GTA. I quite liked the original, top-down one on the ps1. I played it more than anybody else I know but it was impossible to master.

Didn't really notice GTA again until San Andreas. I made this unplayable by making too much money early on and removing the motivation for aceivment. To save anyone asking, it was the betting shop. Quite easy really. This didn't really bother me as I wasn't that into the game.

I don't watch tv or listen to radio so I was unaware of the hype preceding GTA V.

The first time it came to my attention was when my son handed me a copy that his girlfriend's mum had given him for his birthday (I'm 40, he's 21). His birthday just happens to be the day that the game was released in the UK (and the date that is marked on Michaels calendar). He told me he'd quickly blasted through the main story but didn't want to get into it until he had his internet up & running.

Well, to cut a long story short, I have had this game ever since and it has only been taken out of the console about 3 times. I have completed it 4 times (with different PS accounts) and I'm still finding it compels me to play. I actually, honestly think this might just be the best video game that has ever been made in the history of ever. I am aware there are highly acclaimed games that I havent played but it wouldn't really be fair to compare them to GTA V as it is a masterpiece.

P.s. I have only just started playing around with the online mode and I have found most users to be OK, it's just that the d1ckheads are louder and more obvious than everyone else. That's why they stand out.

Sorry if some of that was off-topic but....actually no I'm not.

• Eutyphro, TheFoxRiverFugitive and CantThinkOfOne2013 like this

MetalMilitia89
  • MetalMilitia89

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:32 AM

This exactly.  That is why I state that EVERY GTA to date (only counting III, VC, SA, IV, and V - what I own) has GOOD and BAD points.  There is no possible way that one GTA has more BAD points than GOOD.  Map size isn't everything for one thing.  And lets say even in V I don't use the Ocean for ANYTHING, what gives if VC didn't let you swim?  Absolutely NOTHING because it doesn't interest ME - And that is why it's called an opinion.  San Andreas is king to me, but Vice City and IV, tbh, are not very far off.

There will always be points that someone doesn't like in a video game, but at the end of the day (again as I said above already, time to repeat myself, as usual) that doesn't make it a BAD game, you must look at the big picture which is to me playing the game and enjoying it.  Before SA came out, or IV or V for that matter, what would you have said?  Vice City still sucks?  No.  The only possible reason you guys are saying it sucks is because you already got a taste from SA, IV, and V.  Meaning VC "sucks" because you've seen something "bigger or better."

Well, I've seen these games too, and at the end of the day, VC is easily better to me than IV and V plus III for numerous reasons.  Not to mention in VC, you at least got nice awards for completing the game, like the Hunter added to a helipad, Zebra Taxi upon completing the Taxi missions, and all the 100% completion rewards.  VC was amazing to me.

Vice City is the only game in the series that I didn't finish. I thought it was too hard and I rage quit after failing the bank job repeatedly after months of on and off sessions. The music is great, the graphics are appealing and the story is interesting, but the gameplay is just really dated to me. I could never get used to the assault rifles in III and VC, they were too sensitive and switching to first person was disorienting. It felt like you died too easily as well, I remember getting gunned down so quickly in so many situations.The explosions were a bitch too, the blast radius was deceitful and often tricked me into thinking I was far enough away, only to have it kill me.

I don't hate VC, I just think it's a bit too hard for the wrong reasons.

I am not bashing you or saying I am better, but me and a buddy beat III, VC, AND SA all in the Summer of 2007 to 100% with ZERO cheats (if you cheated back in those games, it'd lock you out from 100% - That is why to this day I don't type codes into ANY GTA game) from June to August.  It didn't take one month per game to beat, either.  San Andreas took up most of the time to complete.  We beat III in maybe 11-12 days, VC was the quickest - Within 6-7 days, and then San Andreas took a couple months to complete.  We also managed to get "proof" (Bullet Proof, Damage Proof, Explosion Proof, Fire Proof, or EVERYTHING/ALL Proof) vehicles in III, VC, and SA.  These games surely had a lot to offer and where easily a lot of fun for me and to this day, they still are.

I played III, VC, and SA two days ago, literally.  I put V back on now, after about 5-7 days break.  V gets boring to me now a days so to keep the flame burning, I must give it brakes for it to become really fun again, for a few days until it gets boring again.

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:56 AM Edited by Official General, 12 March 2014 - 11:11 AM.

Gotta to agree that Vice City is highly overrated. 

Most people only like it cause of the 80's vibe. Have you guys went back and played it? I have and reached 100% for the first time for that game and I can tell you that

- Maps sucks ( Too flat and roads should not start at one side of the map and end at the other side. Not to mention that useless beach to take up half a island )

- Guns are decent ( SA fixed the targeting system for the 3D era for consoles )

- Gameplay feels the same as III

- Still can't swim but they made a huge beach 

Only good things are the businesses and python. Sure they added planes but they were no where as good as SA planes. 

I can't agree with that. And I cannot believe that some people on this thread have the audacity to play down what Vice City  brought to the table for the entire GTA series. VC was groundbreaking and revolutionary for it's time. Very much so. VC set the template for SA to become technically the best GTA feature-wise to date (excluding HD graphics and effects). 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users