Quantcast

» «
Photo

Malaysia Airlines MH370 plane vanishes from radar screens! (2014)

581 replies to this topic
El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:41 PM

I hope I win the lottery.

but I'm not holding my breath, either :lol:

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Administrator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful 2014
    Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:52 PM

Hilarious. 

I know nothing about this kind of technology, but I'm just curious as to why there is no back up radio or whatever that doesn't rely on the power of the plane to transmit? Maybe I'm wrong in assuming that's how it works. I mean obviously if there is an explosion it changes the circumstances completely, but how can something so advanced like this 'vanish' and suddenly lose the ability to be tracked or traced by air traffic control? (actual questions, if anyone knows).

• poklane likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:57 PM

Hilarious.

the morbid curiosity sure is.

Mr. House
  • Mr. House

I'm not good with people, but at least I'm not a racist

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:59 PM

Hilarious.

the morbid curiosity sure is.

Boy you sure have a way of being completely obtuse and annoying.

• Nonpareil1983, 018361, Alchemist and 2 others like this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:59 PM

I thought you didn't hold grudges.

man this is easy.

• Alchemist likes this

Mr. House
  • Mr. House

I'm not good with people, but at least I'm not a racist

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:02 PM

I thought you didn't hold grudges.

man this is easy.

I don't, but that doesn't make you any less annoying in every post you make.

In any case yeah this is strange, I'm pretty sure that tracking devices don't just disappear from the radar unless they're destroyed in some way.

• Detective Phelps and EphemeralStar like this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:03 PM

you should smoke a joint, get a job, and get a girlfriend.

life is too short to be annoyed by some anonymous person you've never met on the internet.

• EyeMacHunt likes this

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Administrator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful 2014
    Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:05 PM Edited by Kirsty, 08 March 2014 - 10:23 PM.

Ah get over it Diablo, there isn't any room in this topic for your superiority complex, let alone your insensitive spam.

Airline disasters are rare yet terrifying, let us discuss in peace.

And that goes for you too, Myron.

• GroundZero, 018361, Raavi and 2 others like this

Verdant
  • Verdant

Boomshine Blowout

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:18 PM

This is absolutely terrifying. My heart goes out to the passengers and relatives.

• 018361 and Detective Phelps like this

Ryan
  • Ryan

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:29 PM

I know nothing about this kind of technology, but I'm just curious as to why there is no back up radio or whatever that doesn't rely on the power of the plane to transmit? Maybe I'm wrong in assuming that's how it works. I mean obviously if there is an explosion it changes the circumstances completely, but how can something so advanced like this 'vanish' and suddenly lose the ability to be tracked or traced by air traffic control?

All airlines are equipped with multiple radios for communication with both ground controllers and other aircraft. In addition to this, airlines are also equipped with transponders that squawk a four digit code to communicate with ground controllers and other aircraft on their status. These codes originated during World War II to determine if aircraft were friend or foe, though today they are used for indicating altitude and more. Many airlines also have certain codes they squawk in the event of an emergency where they are unable to communicate over the radio such as a highjacking.

A complete power system failure would render all these methods of communication useless; however, all airlines are equipped with a Ram Air Turbine. A Ram Air Turbine is a prop that deploys below the aircraft in the event of a power failure that is driven by the force of the air and generates a small amount of electricity to power basic avionics systems, allowing the crew to control the plane, communicate with the ground and navigate their way to an airport.

A complete electrical system failure would have made for a very scary situation as the crew would have no means of navigating or contacting ground controllers or other aircraft, but the crew would still have control of the aircraft and it could have continued to fly. If the aircraft was out of radar range when a failure occurred, but able to fly, it would have eventually flown to an area with radar coverage and be picked up by ground controllers.

Whatever happened aboard MH370 to cause all communication to cease with no distress signal must have been a catastrophic event that happened extremely fast. 

• Mince, 018361, Kirsty and 1 other like this

Plank.
  • Plank.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:38 PM

Maybe they hit a wormhole and got blasted to a different point in time and space.

Samuel Howitzer
  • Samuel Howitzer

Jack Howitzer's greedy agent

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:48 PM Edited by Samuel Howitzer, 08 March 2014 - 11:30 PM.

I think I smell foul play but I'm not sure,could be anything though.

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

http://gabenislife.com/

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:12 PM Edited by Audiophile, 08 March 2014 - 11:14 PM.

I know nothing about this kind of technology, but I'm just curious as to why there is no back up radio or whatever that doesn't rely on the power of the plane to transmit? Maybe I'm wrong in assuming that's how it works. I mean obviously if there is an explosion it changes the circumstances completely, but how can something so advanced like this 'vanish' and suddenly lose the ability to be tracked or traced by air traffic control?

All airlines are equipped with multiple radios for communication with both ground controllers and other aircraft. In addition to this, airlines are also equipped with transponders that squawk a four digit code to communicate with ground controllers and other aircraft on their status. These codes originated during World War II to determine if aircraft were friend or foe, though today they are used for indicating altitude and more. Many airlines also have certain codes they squawk in the event of an emergency where they are unable to communicate over the radio such as a highjacking.

A complete power system failure would render all these methods of communication useless; however, all airlines are equipped with a Ram Air Turbine. A Ram Air Turbine is a prop that deploys below the aircraft in the event of a power failure that is driven by the force of the air and generates a small amount of electricity to power basic avionics systems, allowing the crew to control the plane, communicate with the ground and navigate their way to an airport.

A complete electrical system failure would have made for a very scary situation as the crew would have no means of navigating or contacting ground controllers or other aircraft, but the crew would still have control of the aircraft and it could have continued to fly. If the aircraft was out of radar range when a failure occurred, but able to fly, it would have eventually flown to an area with radar coverage and be picked up by ground controllers.

Whatever happened aboard MH370 to cause all communication to cease with no distress signal must have been a catastrophic event that happened extremely fast. 

Thanks, Ryan. I knew I was mixing something up, it's been a while. I forgot about the transponders, I should have remembered as I know they work alongside TCAS to keep track of the plane's location and that of planes around it to avoid collisions. 

I believe the black box also transmits a signal so that it can be found. But it only does so for a period of time, a month, I think? As the beacon battery cannot last forever. 

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:16 PM

yes the BRIGHT ORANGE BOX (why the media calls it "black" is beyond me) will transmit its location for up to 30 days.

it also works up to 20k feet below the water.

• Audiophile likes this

Ryan
  • Ryan

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:21 PM

I believe the black box also transmits a signal so that it can be found. But it only does so for a period of time, a month, I think? As the beacon battery cannot last forever. 

Yep, the FDR emits a signal indicating its location for 30 days.

• Audiophile likes this

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

http://gabenislife.com/

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:13 AM

Considering two of the passengers on board had stolen passports and the fact that it vanished so suddenly, I would say that this was most likely a terrorist attack. 

Anyway, unfortunately there probably won't be any survivors at this point. If there were, it's been too long for them to have survived in the ocean that long with probable injuries from the descent/impact/possible explosion. 

pokemon123
  • pokemon123

stuff

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:36 AM

the fact that there is basically no way to get out of that ocean, trapped in the water with no sign of land and no communication terrifies me, I was really paranoid when travelling from san francisco to hong kong, The fact they haven't been able to find anyone terrifies me, imagining the fear they had makes me want to throw up.

Max
  • Max

The Port Vila Killa.

• Zaibatsu
  • Vanuatu
  • Contribution Award [Sports]

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:48 AM

For all of you that are worrying, it is worth remembering that despite this tragedy and the unnatural feeling of flying, travel with commercial airliners is statistically the safest mode of transport, bar none. Safer than Rail, safer than buses, safer than cars, safer than walking even. The death risk to passengers is something like 1 in 45,000,000 flights.

My heart goes out to those aboard the missing plane and their families. 

• Melchior and Adler like this

EyeMacHunt
  • EyeMacHunt

Tank Hunter

• Members

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:23 AM

For all of you that are worrying, it is worth remembering that despite this tragedy and the unnatural feeling of flying, travel with commercial airliners is statistically the safest mode of transport, bar none. Safer than Rail, safer than buses, safer than cars, safer than walking even. The death risk to passengers is something like 1 in 45,000,000 flights.

My heart goes out to those aboard the missing plane and their families. 

I am somewhat paranoid of flying and that statistic now makes me feel a lot better. Thanks.

GroundZero
  • GroundZero

Previous Username: Bull12345Bull

• Members
  • Greece

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:37 AM

Interesting update, a Chinese public television station states that the family of a Chinese passenger of the plane called his cell and managed to get signal, and now the Malaysian authorities are trying to use the signal in order to spot the Boeing. That station stated that they also tried to call the man's cell phone themselves and it initially seemed to work, but the call was terminated.

Mv6
  • Mv6

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:24 AM

With the stolen passports, no distress calls or wreckage.

Two outcomes...

Explosion or nose dive into the sea

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:20 AM

Missing Malaysia Airlines plane 'may have turned back'

Radar signals show a Malaysia Airlines plane that has been missing for more than 24 hours may have turned back, Malaysian officials have said.

[...]

The BBC has confirmed that a man falsely using an Italian passport and a man falsely using an Austrian passport purchased tickets at the same time, and were both booked on the same onward flight from Beijing to Europe on Saturday. Both had purchased their tickets from China Southern Airlines, which shared the flight with Malaysia Airlines, and they had consecutive ticket numbers. The real owners reportedly had their passports stolen in Thailand in recent years.

[...]

"Our own intelligence have been activated and, of course, the counterterrorism units... from all the relevant countries have been informed,"

Source

iiGh0STt
  • iiGh0STt

Gangsta

• BUSTED!
  • Ukraine

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:44 AM

Been following this since last night, flying / crashing is pretty much my worst fear yet

I refuse to fly unless I have to. I hate flying commercial and I especially hated army c130's and c17's.

by far my biggest fear besides heights.

sad story, I hope they find out what happened.

Shmoopy
  • Shmoopy

Thug (͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

How can somebody steal you passport , bypass the security and hijack an airplane without getting caught ? I mean how can people be that stupid 

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:14 PM

right now the most popular theory is that this was flight was testing-grounds for a new IED.

like terrorists were trying out their newest bomb, getting it past security, preparing it for attacks against Western airports.

maybe they finally succeeded where the Underwear Bomber failed.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:17 PM

They have apparently found what could be a door of the apparatus, at 80km from the island of Tho Chu where is believed that the aircraft could have crashed.

1394355013_984610_1394379463_portada_nor

• poklane likes this

poklane
  • poklane

So now what?

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:52 PM

Considering two of the passengers on board had stolen passports and the fact that it vanished so suddenly, I would say that this was most likely a terrorist attack. 

Anyway, unfortunately there probably won't be any survivors at this point. If there were, it's been too long for them to have survived in the ocean that long with probable injuries from the descent/impact/possible explosion. 

It's apparently really normal in Asia for people to fly with stolen passports.

Detective Phelps
  • Detective Phelps

F*ck the 4th amendment!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA V section - Reporting]

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:05 PM Edited by Los Santos Police Department, 09 March 2014 - 05:05 PM.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...d-asia-26506961

"Vietnamese navy planes have spotted what could be fragments from the missing Malaysia Airlines jet that disappeared almost two days ago." Officials said it was too dark to be certain the objects were from Flight MH370, which had 239 people on board.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:17 PM

That is true. I'm not scared of flying myself but when you're in a car crash it just kinda happens. If your in a plane plummeting to the ground you have some time to think about how your life might end right here and there is nothing you can do. I'd much rather be in a car crash to be honest.

• poklane, Fallcreek and THE GHETTO JEZUS like this

poklane
  • poklane

So now what?

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:40 PM

That is true. I'm not scared of flying myself but when you're in a car crash it just kinda happens. If your in a plane plummeting to the ground you have some time to think about how your life might end right here and there is nothing you can do. I'd much rather be in a car crash to be honest.

This. Knowing you're about to die in one of the worst ways to go seems terrifying to me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users