Quantcast

» «
Photo

Does anyone really like loud rain in games?

14 replies to this topic
Foulcrumb
  • Foulcrumb

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:02 AM

Rain is just horrible noise in a video game.  I like just fine in real life on hot summers afternoon, sitting on my wrap around deck with a glass of lemonade and watching the wife in her sun dress twirl around and enjoy the sun shower just as much as the next guy enjoys that with his wife.

In a video game, I'm getting away from crappy ole, frigid temperature of winter.  Show me the sun, and fun.

Maybe I'm alone is this and the weather adds realism for some players, me hate it.  Hate it almost as much as the wavy camera effects trying to simulate drunkiness or dizzy effects, and screen shakes.

meh, to rain.

Kiffster
  • Kiffster

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:10 AM

So you're saying that every game should be bright, sunny and cheerful? I don't have a problem with rain in a game at all. And I don't think I've ever heard rain that is too loud.

Rain (like you said) adds realism to a game and its atmosphere. I think the best-sounding rain I've ever heard in a game was maybe during the farm mission in the first Mafia game. It added so much to the "you know something's wrong here and it's too quiet" kinda atmosphere of the mission.

Rain also plays a big part in some games. Take a look at Splinter Cell for example, where the rain actually helps to muffle out other sounds, making it easier for you to sneak up on guards quickly etc.
  • Th3MaN1 likes this

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:30 AM

Love the rain and overall weather effects in Red Dead Redemption and Wind Waker.

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:02 AM

Human being? Because I don't know how to respond to this. 

If you're playing on PC, there's a solution to it. That's all I could think of.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None
  • Best Poster [Gaming] 2015
    Best Poster [Gaming] 2014

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:04 AM Edited by Daz, 06 March 2014 - 07:04 AM.

If we can get some games (MGS Ground Zeroes/TPP springs to mind) to get it simulated correctly then maybe we will have not so many dingy brown games thrown at us.

To me, nothing creates an atmosphere like a pure blue sky and a huge blast of bright sunlight like Mirror's Edge had.

However, I cannot stand sun glare that obstructs your vision like you get in Battlefield 3 and 4. There is no need for it. Also, any kind of unnecessary screen distortion, wobble, or blurring. And dirt and water droplets and blood on your screen, it makes no sense. Anything stopping me from seeing the true beauty of the game is annoying to say the least.

Johan
  • Johan

Free The Future

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Dominican-Republic
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA]

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:09 AM

Love it, absolutely do.. couldn't get enough of it when playing Heavy Rain and that one mission in Battlefield 4's campaign. I literally took my time in that mission just to enjoy every piece of detail on max settings (until my PC shut down of course over the heat it was creating) but definitely worth it.

Too many guys have sunlight and while it's great to look at, sometimes they over do it like Daz stated above.

• Daz likes this

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:12 AM

I love rain in real life, the sound of it, and it's touch.

Therefore, I really love rain in games too. It just creates so brilliant atmosphere in games, wether it is soft pattle of drops upon the hood of your car, or an outright storm with huge, broiling clouds and violent jabs of lighting stabbing the yonder mountaintops.

I just love it when it rains.

And what about wet roads? I LOVE the look of wet roads in games, especially at nighttime city, with all the vibrant lights of the humming metropolis reflected from every horizontal surface.

More rain, please!

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Insert Things I Hate Here

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:38 AM

I love the rain, it makes driving in IV even more fun.

Kiffster
  • Kiffster

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:42 AM Edited by Werebot85, 06 March 2014 - 03:07 PM.

I love the heavy rain storms in GTAIV, and the changes in lighting that come with it. Looks really good.

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Harwood Butcher

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012
    Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:34 AM

Rain's awesome IMO. The start of Sleeping Dogs is incredible with the rain.

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• BUSTED!
  • Saint-Martin

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:57 AM

It's alright in some games. Generally, if there are puddles collecting on the ground as the rain continues then it's good rain. And thunder's always a nice thing to throw in.

If it distorts objects within less than 15 ft of the character, or if the sound of rain is significantly louder than the sounds your character makes, then it's bad rain.

Nonpareil1983
  • Nonpareil1983

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:10 PM

I like the sound of it raining outside in video games, just like I do in real life. I think it's nice and relaxing, it'd be one thing if the sound of rain overshadowed what characters are saying or was much, much louder than all of the other sounds effects, but I've never played a game like that where the rain is overbearingly loud like you seem to be complaining about.

Fallcreek
  • Fallcreek

Never Born, Never Dead

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Canada

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:28 PM

There's not enough snow/rain in video games. I mean, I cherish the little parts we get in North Yankton or Online where we got snow on Christmas.. Snow's the sh*t in video games! 

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Big Homie

• Members
  • Romania
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:53 PM

As long as it's done correctly (I don't really like to give GTA V as an example every time, but take a look at the mission "Friends Reunited") it can add much to the atmosphere of the game.

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:30 AM

My favourite rain game is Formula One 2001 on PS2

I just love the wet races in it: Your visor is full of raindrops and you can barely see ten metres ahead of you.

-and the other cars are just vague shadows in the gray fog, their red, cyclopean eyes blinking at you malevolently.

Makes me all poetic, like.

P.S. to those schooled in USA, the term ' red, cyclopean eye' refers to the fact that Formulas only have one light at the back, and it blinks red when the car is braking.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users