Why I think this game doesn't have a great plot at all

54 replies to this topic
gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:14 AM

I just found SA's a bit too whacky. It was pretty good at the start, but I didn't really like it after leaving LS. I have the same feeling towards GTA V when Trevor starts working with Michael and Franklin.

While GTA IV's missions can get repetitive (though I don't think the missions are as bad as what people say) I feel the story holds together enough to still be interesting much more than SA and GTA V.

I actually preferred SA's story AFTER it left LS. Im not sure what it was exactly but I really liked the whole discovering new environments aspect of it and CJ getting thrown into a Government conspiracy. It was actually really entertaining. IV's on the other hand was really good in the beginning and then pretty crappy after that. With some flashes of brilliance here and there.  

AnDReJ98
  • AnDReJ98

Gangsta

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:38 PM

If there was anything that got worse story in the middle of game, it was V. I remember first few missions with Franklin & Lamar i thought 'f*ck yeah! Great mission with a lot of action!' And later 'Why i think this is one of the worst stories in whole series?' It was good at beginning, but later it went totally wrong, and i find it weakest story in the series because of many reasons.

• Official General likes this

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:07 PM

If there was anything that got worse story in the middle of game, it was V. I remember first few missions with Franklin & Lamar i thought 'f*ck yeah! Great mission with a lot of action!' And later 'Why i think this is one of the worst stories in whole series?' It was good at beginning, but later it went totally wrong, and i find it weakest story in the series because of many reasons.

I started a new save of GTA V and stopped just after Trevor arrived in LS. I legit hate anything concerning Merryweather or the FIB. It goes from a somewhat decent crime story to a crap story getting bent over by the FIB.

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:02 PM

Easily true.

V's story went doiwnhill fast once the FIB and Merryweather guys came into the fold. 

lol232
  • lol232

We stealin' all da gold!

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:25 PM Edited by lol232, 02 April 2014 - 06:28 PM.

Gta IV just wishes it was a movie...but it's not...so it hardly works. Nike was cool, a pain to listen to after a while, then the story was just plain & unexciting. Who actually bought into that war-torn veteran BS? outside of Niko, I didn't give the slightest sh*t about any of the characters...that's a BIG problem, seeing how with every installment previously, it was the exact opposite . TBoGT connected some of those dots & made the story more 'whole'. & afterwards I appreciated it more. But on its own, I found IV to be disappointing.

GTA IV is a movie? Really? So, every good story now is a movie? I can agree that "The Last of Us" game is movie, you barely have any freedom.
"Movies" are something where you don't have much freedom, but in GTA IV you have a lot of it.

San Andreas' story is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar weaker than V's, at least in V you had that feel, in SA, not a thing, not a tiny f*cking thing.

SoftTouch
  • SoftTouch

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:15 AM

Nope. GTA IV has the best story in the series IMO. 

ofc... lol

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:24 AM Edited by Official General, 03 April 2014 - 05:01 PM.

Gta IV just wishes it was a movie...but it's not...so it hardly works. Nike was cool, a pain to listen to after a while, then the story was just plain & unexciting. Who actually bought into that war-torn veteran BS? outside of Niko, I didn't give the slightest sh*t about any of the characters...that's a BIG problem, seeing how with every installment previously, it was the exact opposite . TBoGT connected some of those dots & made the story more 'whole'. & afterwards I appreciated it more. But on its own, I found IV to be disappointing.

GTA IV is a movie? Really? So, every good story now is a movie? I can agree that "The Last of Us" game is movie, you barely have any freedom."Movies" are something where you don't have much freedom, but in GTA IV you have a lot of it. 

San Andreas' story is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar weaker than V's, at least in V you had that feel, in SA, not a thing, not a tiny f*cking thing.

Most people would agree that GTA V's story was the weakest in the entire series. Nothing can beat the huge borefest and tangled mess of that FIB/government bullsh*t.

EDIT: Typos corrected, sorry I hate sending posts by phone.

• AnDReJ98 and Jeansowaty like this

AnDReJ98
  • AnDReJ98

Gangsta

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:25 PM Edited by AnDReJ98, 03 April 2014 - 01:27 PM.

Most people would agree that GTA V's story was the weakest in the entire series. Nothing that beat the huge borefest and tangled of that FIB/government bullsh*t.

I still can remember 1 or 2 years ago, when we were waiting for informations about release date. After info we received unit then, i thought how amazing V's story would be. As time went, i could just feel something is wrong with the story. Though first few days since release i thought it's Rockstar's best game, but soon i realized some things, and understood situation better. The answer was it could be a lot better than it is now, especially after 5 years waiting. BTW it was cool while we were waiting, guesses, unconfirmed stuff, fan maps and all.

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:31 PM

Most people would agree that GTA V's story was the weakest in the entire series. Nothing that beat the huge borefest and tangled of that FIB/government bullsh*t.

I still can remember 1 or 2 years ago, when we were waiting for informations about release date. After info we received unit then, i thought how amazing V's story would be. As time went, i could just feel something is wrong with the story. Though first few days since release i thought it's Rockstar's best game, but soon i realized some things, and understood situation better. The answer was it could be a lot better than it is now, especially after 5 years waiting. BTW it was cool while we were waiting, guesses, unconfirmed stuff, fan maps and all.

Do you when I first started to doubt this game ? Have a guess. 

A day before I bought it on release date. Some people had got the game already, and were talking about it on here. There were all kinds of spoliers flying around this forum, which I was trying my hardest to avoid while being caught up in the intense pre-release GTA V hype and buzz. I could not avoid them all, and I had a feeling of disappointment that began to sink in once I read that you could not enter fast food restaurants like Burger Shot and Cluckin' Bell. From then on, I knew something was gonna be wrong with this game, my gut instinct told me was in for more disappointments. 

And my instincts were pretty much right.

Real_Badgirl
  • Real_Badgirl

Peon

• Members

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:36 PM

Niko's voice irritates me so much I can't relate to the character a single bit. His story was good, but he didn't make a good protagonist whatsoever IMO, Johnny sniffs him along with the breakfast cereal and Luis is far better too.

Really? I think Niko's accent is kind of sexy.

Surely I'm not the only one who thinks so.

AnDReJ98
  • AnDReJ98

Gangsta

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:22 PM

Yes, spoilers were all around. Agree with you, but as time went, as we were more closer to release date, my interest, hope for some things started declines.

Ledsbourne
  • Ledsbourne

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:33 AM

Niko's voice irritates me so much I can't relate to the character a single bit. His story was good, but he didn't make a good protagonist whatsoever IMO, Johnny sniffs him along with the breakfast cereal and Luis is far better too.

Hmmm, then maybe I'll consider not trying to get rid of my original Polish accent when talking English, if people find this sexy :p But it's not Niko's accent that I don't like, it's just his voice which sounds kinda... adolescent.

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

Notorious fan of underground electronic music and Molly Schultz

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:21 PM

Hmmm, then maybe I'll consider not trying to get rid of my original Polish accent when talking English, if people find this sexy :p But it's not Niko's accent that I don't like, it's just his voice which sounds kinda... adolescent.

You're from Poland? And... Serbians' accent sounds more akin American accent. I have a Serbian friend (Wolf247), so... :p

Ledsbourne
  • Ledsbourne

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:45 PM

You're from Poland? And... Serbians' accent sounds more akin American accent. I have a Serbian friend (Wolf247), so... :p

Yeah, I am. Well, I don't think my accent would be that bad, although I have a bad habit of reading some words in my own way :p BTW, I think Timur's accent and grammar is more "real" for an uneducated eastern European guy.

• Jeansowaty likes this

lol232
  • lol232

We stealin' all da gold!

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:59 PM Edited by lol232, 06 April 2014 - 01:27 PM.

GTA IV is a movie? Really? So, every good story now is a movie? I can agree that "The Last of Us" game is movie, you barely have any freedom."Movies" are something where you don't have much freedom, but in GTA IV you have a lot of it. 

Most people would agree that GTA V's story was the weakest in the entire series. Nothing can beat the huge borefest and tangled mess of that FIB/government bullsh*t.

Actually, SA's story is wacky drug trip witch jetpacks and gang bangers. I can't take you seriously.
All you keep saying is "FIB FIB FIB FIB" every time you say GTA V has a wacky story.
The reason Michael did them was because he had to save his ass, and please be aware that FIB/gouverment missions were less than 10%, SA's story is the worst one in the series, V's not even the 2nd or 3rd worst, not even the 4th.

Michael had the "Tommy Vercetti" feel, that was my prediction when I sow the first trailer and I was damn right.

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

Notorious fan of underground electronic music and Molly Schultz

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:49 PM

Yeah, I am. Well, I don't think my accent would be that bad, although I have a bad habit of reading some words in my own way :p BTW, I think Timur's accent and grammar is more "real" for an uneducated eastern European guy.

Mogę się z tym zgodzić :p I can agree with that :D

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:10 PM

Actually, SA's story is wacky drug trip witch jetpacks and gang bangers. I can't take you seriously.
All you keep saying is "FIB FIB FIB FIB" every time you say GTA V has a wacky story.
The reason Michael did them was because he had to save his ass, and please be aware that FIB/gouverment missions were less than 10%, SA's story is the worst one in the series, V's not even the 2nd or 3rd worst, not even the 4th.

Michael had the "Tommy Vercetti" feel, that was my prediction when I sow the first trailer and I was damn right.

Nope. Still disagree. I will agree that SA's story was not among the best in the series, but it was much better than GTA V's story. SA's story was just much more entertaining and interesting. Sorry to keep bringing it up, but it's the truth. That FIB stuff is to thank for ruining V's story.

AnDReJ98
  • AnDReJ98

Gangsta

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:28 PM

I actually could go with limited FIB stuff, but when i saw it's main story and biggest part of the story that feels totally rushed and uninterested, made me realize it's story better. Some members, i think Drunken Cowboy and few more, explained the whole thing about story problem.

Someone2222
  • Someone2222

Player Hater

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:18 AM

I actually like Niko's voice, i did not bother me and i even got used to it.

BTTrouble
  • BTTrouble

Captain in the Sonetti Family

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:22 PM

I personally think GTA IV's storyline was the best out of the whole series.

• Miamivicecity and Jeansowaty like this

lol232
  • lol232

We stealin' all da gold!

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 03 May 2014 - 04:43 PM Edited by lol232, 03 May 2014 - 04:46 PM.

Nope. Still disagree. I will agree that SA's story was not among the best in the series, but it was much better than GTA V's story. SA's story was just much more entertaining and interesting. Sorry to keep bringing it up, but it's the truth. That FIB stuff is to thank for ruining V's story.

Not matter what, at least V's story makes more sense than SA's.
FIB stuff are less than 5% of the story. Exactly which part of FIB do you mean, care to explain?

I actually could go with limited FIB stuff, but when i saw it's main story and biggest part of the story that feels totally rushed and uninterested, made me realize it's story better. Some members, i think Drunken Cowboy and few more, explained the whole thing about story problem.

Although Drunken Cowboy is right at many points (I'm not talking about his complain about V's story), the point where he said that Trevor did things for the FIB for no reason is pretty incorrect, he did that because he thought he could "Bust Brad out of the clink" that way. As soon as he realised Brad's dead he cut all ties with the FIB and Michael until the very end of the story only because he needed Michael for the big one.

Funktipus
  • Funktipus

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:47 PM

I liked the story from IV, it wasn't my favorite( GTA 3 San Andreas) but was still pretty cool.

Same here. Actually, GTA IV made more sense to me once EFLC came out, and I started playing the missions from all three games in chronological order.

Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:08 AM

I didn't liked the fact that despite meeting the IAA guy long before even reaching half way through the game, Niko Bellic Still continues to offer himself as a gun for hire for various people around town, and always introduce himself by asking that they should help him find the special someone he was looking for.

But it was obvious from the start that the government agents were the best solution to Niko's search, it sure as hell wasn't the petty thugs around town who were ever going to do it right for Niko.

To make it worst, almost none of Niko's employer ever talk to him again about that 'favor' they were asked to do, as if the conversation and Niko's plea a couple missions earlier just vanished out of thin air as soon as the cutscene had ended.

Of course the fact that Niko has the Claude-syndrome (the tendency of killing previous employer because the 'new' boss says so) didn't help either.

Niko Bellic's journey basically sends him on all corners of Liberty City for no good reason other than just dragging the experience out.

It was a damn fine experience, sure, but the plot was nonexistent for more than half of the game, it's just a series of episodic events with the various gangsters in the city.

Maybe had they made better use of the in-game money system it would have made the experience reach on a more engaging level; Niko also likes to discuss his fee with his employer, but to us as a player it didn't made much of an impact, why should I care how much money Niko gets paid? I can't do anything with the money once I've bought the clothes I want; Roman Bellic somehow never gets access to my pocket money, and halfway through the game I already earned a quarter of a million from the bank heist, a quarter of a million!! what the hell am I suppose to do with that? and why is Niko still negotiating his petty fees later on?

Completing the storyline also gives you Another quarter of a million, regardless of whether you had the Revenge or Deal ending, again making the decision to choose between the two rather moot.

Drako Brevic does shoot off the "how much money do you ask to kill people" mentality back at Niko near the end, and it felt damn satisfying that someone else had spotted Niko's hypocrisy to a degree.

So yes, maybe had the game somehow gave more pressure as to always have money in hand, either to feed Roman or to bribe authorities, then yes I would have understood the need to work for the various crooks around town, but alas such 'need' wasn't present.

It's not like Niko was like Carl Johnson who dreamed of always being 'big' and having various connections and income all over the state of San Andreas, Niko never really made the pursuit of the almighty dollar such an issue to him.

So why does he continuously live the life of a gun for hire?

Just to feel the need to be like in the old country/ older games?

However IV's plot is still miles, Miles better than Ballad of Gay Tony; now that was a true episodic story with no relevant relations from one subplot to the other.

Mr.Raspberry Jam
  • Mr.Raspberry Jam

Bringing great joy to a lonely man

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:47 PM

I love all the GTA stories, they are all good in their own way, but GTA IV is my absolute favourite. While all the games in the series are different from each other, IV was the one that was the most different, and I loved that about it. They took a step away from trying to appeal to people who just wanted an over the top game and gave it depth. Niko's character worked because he has a reason to be pessimistic and cynical about life.
I loved that they never tried to sugar-coat the ending, it wasn't a happy ending and no good for Niko came out of it and they stuck to that story very well.
In my opinion it is my favourite video game if all time, and I hope R* can make another GTA like it some day.

MrKush
  • MrKush

We need Yachts

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:23 AM

LMAO comparing old man Michael to Tommy freakin' VERCETTI, automatically renders your opinion worthless. Gta 4 was a borefest following around boring ass characters. None of them being at all interesting. I'm from Manhattan and everything about BoGT was an infinitely greater fit for the setting. In 4 u had Niko, pretty badass, annoying voice, but likeable. Then nobodies. Unlikable packie & some BS about an uninteresting irish mob family. No one loses sleep over Roman OR niko's sketchy old female acquaintance, DIEING at the end. That whole deal was odd & nothing to become invested in. Yet it was one the main points of the plot, this wierdo love story. Everything about the diamonds is only mildly interesting when you take BOTH dlc's into account. I enjoyed the relationship between Luis & Tony and their struggle, & rooted for them far more than I did Niko & Roman. There was nothing to root for

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users