Why I think this game doesn't have a great plot at all

54 replies to this topic
GTAgamerCR7
  • GTAgamerCR7

Player Hater

• Members
  • El-Salvador

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:59 AM

Now GTA 4's plot does suffer from a good antagonist, too many subplots, a lot of missions but less variety, and the characters aren't as good.

First of all how did Michelle know who NIko was, she never explained that?

Niko's persuit of Drako Brevic is actually a dumb belief, he knew that in war no one can be trusted and everyone is on their own but just because his crew got killed he is mad crazy and wants to find him, war is war you can't expect nice.

Too many subplots such as the diamond and the heroin along with Bernie cranes and brucies, this plots if anything are dragged out and served no actual purpose but only to end in a lackluster ending. Also Dimitri is very cliché as well, his betrayal was not a surprised because he revealed it himself and his actual reasons for betrayal show you how bad the writing got, " I betrayed you because you were a bottom feeder and peasant," it's like they were making an antagonists for the sake doing one and then he disappears just like Big Smoke only to appear at the end. The amount of killing options are also bad because the game keeps throwing you the almost every time, it makes this endings very predictable. All Dimitri does is kidnap your useless cousin who isn't good in the field, and keep mocking a homo, In fact they don't even explain how his gang grew, they just basically said he became powerful, unlike big smoke he became rich through various drug deals and you can actually see that. Also what was his point of killing Roman or betraying everybody else, I mean killing them didn't benefit him for nothing, the only one was Mikhail, it was just thrown to say "oh just because he kills everybody he is a good antagonists", his character gives me no surprises, his betrayal was lackluster.

Also what is Bulgarin'S purpose in the plot, he is introduced and completely abandoned, he is the only antagonist that was actually good. Also the story mainly deals with Niko as a hitman which make the missions become repetitive and boring, the only great mission was three leaf clover and a few, but the rest were either meh or just plain bad.

The characters aren't great too, the only good characters are Pegorino, Jacob, Packie, Dwayne, and Niko. Roman was very useless in the field and as a character, all he did was get into debts, in fact this game gives you a lot of money but you don't have nothing to spend it with, man if Roman got into so much debts why couldn't they create a money deduction system for his debt, this would have given the money an actual purpose. In the end GTA 4's plot isn't that great, it's all right and suffer from problems, it may be dark, but I know something, dark doesn't mean always mean good, it's how they handle it.

Does anyone else agree?

• koolaidandkfc666 likes this

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Goodfella

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:37 AM Edited by SonOfLiberty, 06 March 2014 - 03:40 AM.

Nope. GTA IV has the best story in the series IMO. The only part I agree with is they should've had some sort of debt deduction system to coincide with Roman's gambling habits.

Other than that I think GTA IV has the most interesting characters in the whole series who I actually care about.

• Azazel, R4GN0R0K, DrAnomalous and 12 others like this

GTAgamerCR7
  • GTAgamerCR7

Player Hater

• Members
  • El-Salvador

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:46 AM

Nope. GTA IV has the best story in the series IMO. The only part I agree with is they should've had some sort of debt deduction system to coincide with Roman's gambling habits.

Other than that I think GTA IV has the most interesting characters in the whole series who I actually care about.

To me the antagonist in this story was garbage and the story was riddled with useless subplots like the heroin and diamonds. Also how did Michelle knew about who Niko was. What was the point of working with the Pegorino family they didn't do anything they promised. Why do people think this is the best adaptation of an immigrant, last time I remember we immigrants don't go through unrealistic stories like Niko.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Goodfella

• Australia

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:04 AM

Michelle is a government agent after all. It's likely the IAA (who use ULP as a front) kept watch on Niko just before or just after he entered the country. In a way she does explain it during "The Snow Storm".

GTAgamerCR7
  • GTAgamerCR7

Player Hater

• Members
  • El-Salvador

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:11 AM Edited by GTAgamerCR7, 06 March 2014 - 04:12 AM.

Michelle is a government agent after all. It's likely the IAA (who use ULP as a front) kept watch on Niko just before or just after he entered the country. In a way she does explain it during "The Snow Storm".

In a way isn't enough. They don't explain how she knew where he came from, they just threw it there just for the sake of throwing it, all she does is go all emotional and there is not an accurate explanation.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Goodfella

• Australia

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:25 AM Edited by SonOfLiberty, 06 March 2014 - 04:26 AM.

Honestly I think you're combing through the story too much. I don't see anything wrong with you not liking the story (it's subjective), but I'm not sure what you're expecting. You would've been better off posting this in the general series chat forum to get a broader range of views/opinions.

Most people in here wont agree because the majority who post in here are GTA IV fans.

GTAgamerCR7
  • GTAgamerCR7

Player Hater

• Members
  • El-Salvador

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:41 AM

Honestly I think you're combing through the story too much. I don't see anything wrong with you not liking the story (it's subjective), but I'm not sure what you're expecting. You would've been better off posting this in the general series chat forum to get a broader range of views/opinions.

Most people in here wont agree because the majority who post in here are GTA IV fans.

Thank you very much

• SonOfLiberty likes this

Cyper
  • Cyper

Liberty City Lover Since 2001

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:51 PM

The story in GTA IV is not bad, but it is certainly not the best storyline in the series. In my opinion it was the mission design that could have been better in GTA IV.

In my opinion San Andreas had the most interesting and complex story.

• im_stoned, EAZY-D and koolaidandkfc666 like this

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

._.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:29 PM

SA? Come on, it's all about turf, nigga, hood, gangsta, crack, nines... bleh.

• Hx1349, lol232, ten-a-penny and 1 other like this

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Goodfella

• Australia

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:03 AM

The story in GTA IV is not bad, but it is certainly not the best storyline in the series. In my opinion it was the mission design that could have been better in GTA IV.

In my opinion San Andreas had the most interesting and complex story.

I know everyone has their opinion, but I must admit to shuddering at the thought of SA's story being "complex". IMO that's giving it a lot more credit than it really deserves.

• Andreas, thekillerdonuts and Officer Charles like this

I will pwn you newbs
  • I will pwn you newbs

Homie

• Members

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:52 AM

I think IV has the best story in the series (I haven't finished V yet I'm spacing it out and playing online a lot) I thought San Andreas story was crap
  • SonOfLiberty and Jeansowaty like this

Ledsbourne
  • Ledsbourne

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:20 PM

The story in IV was good, although I prefer the story of TLaD and TBoGT. However, the missions weren't in most cases as remarkable as in other GTA's or episodes from LC - there was perhaps too many missions so they became repetitive soon. As for the characters, I think Dmitri was one of the best antagonist, very well written - he seemed like a really nice and calm guy that tried to settle things with as few casualties as possible, but ended as a real psycho. Also whole McReary family was well written - they were all very different from each other, but it made sense and fit well. Maybe Roman wasn't the best written character, but he served mostly as a comic relief. Same goes for Brucie, although TBoGT adds some depth to his character.

• SonOfLiberty, B Dawg, Bull12345Bull and 3 others like this

namor
  • namor

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:30 PM

SA? Come on, it's all about turf, nigga, hood, gangsta, crack, nines... bleh.

Don't forget that somewhere along the road he turns into James Bond, breaking into government facilities, stealing high tech military aircraft and jet packs. I completely lost interest the moment the game went high tech sci-fi spy stuff. I got the feeling that SA had no idea what hind of game it wanted to be and was so glad that in IV it went back to its roots. The world was smaller on IV, but far more immersive than anything that came before, and with the exception of RDR, anything that came after (and this does include V).

• thekillerdonuts, Jeansowaty and Officer Charles like this

Ledsbourne
  • Ledsbourne

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:38 PM

GTA San Andreas was a great mix of pretty much everything - but I must admit that in my opinion the result was quite awesome. Story was definitely over the top, but after all, it's a video game. Only bad thing was how CJ was such a damn pussy, never stood for his opinion and just did what people told him and Sweet gave barely any credit to him. And the sci-fi missions for The Truth and Toreno were amongst the funniest ones in the game, so I didn't mind that at all. GTA IV had better story, of course, but I don't even wanna count how many missions in it were the same "go to X then chase and kill Mr. Y". Luckily EFLC have way more diverse missions while maintaining a good story.

• Bull12345Bull and Officer Charles like this

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Goodfella

• Australia

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:49 PM Edited by SonOfLiberty, 09 March 2014 - 12:50 PM.

I just found SA's a bit too whacky. It was pretty good at the start, but I didn't really like it after leaving LS. I have the same feeling towards GTA V when Trevor starts working with Michael and Franklin.

While GTA IV's missions can get repetitive (though I don't think the missions are as bad as what people say) I feel the story holds together enough to still be interesting much more than SA and GTA V.
  • thekillerdonuts and Jeansowaty like this

Real_Badgirl
  • Real_Badgirl

Trick

• Members

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:45 PM

I was underwhelmed by this game at first, but I liked at more as it progressed. While I wouldn't say it has too many plot lines, some of them could be timed better. For example, the kidnapping of Gracie Ancelotti. When I played the game, I kidnapped her, then had to play about 15 more missions before I could continue with the kidnapping plot.

Overall,  thought the game was solid, and the characters grew on me the more I played. Some characters like Brucie, Playboy X and Manny grated on my nerves, but we didn't see much of them anyway.

If I designed the game, there are just a few minor tweaks I'd make. First of all, I'd make Elizabeta and Badman friend options for Niko.

Secondly, I would have given Dimitri a more grusome death, because he deserves it. He was a very despicable character, he should have gotten a chainsaw to the neck or something.

Finally, I'd make Niko kill Bulgarin (again in a brutal manner, because he also deserves it). I got the impression that he was someone who Niko really, truly hated. When Luis killed him, it didn't feel personal enough.

• Bull12345Bull likes this

namor
  • namor

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:17 AM

Finally, I'd make Niko kill Bulgarin (again in a brutal manner, because he also deserves it). I got the impression that he was someone who Niko really, truly hated. When Luis killed him, it didn't feel personal enough.

What, you mean something like this?

http://www.youtube.c...etailpage#t=128

Matt11
  • Matt11

GROVE STREET

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:29 AM

I liked the story from IV, it wasn't my favorite( GTA 3 San Andreas) but was still pretty cool.

49ssd
  • 49ssd

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:00 AM

First of all how did Michelle know who NIko was, she never explained that?

She works for the GTA-world equivalent of the CIA, they know who everyone is. Roman was probably being followed closely because his taxi service is known to ferry around criminals.

war is war you can't expect nice.

I don't know if in your posh little existence you've ever experienced the pain of being betrayed at any level. Niko saw his friends die, not because of the enemy but because they were betrayed by one of his own. That's what he's angry about.
  • thekillerdonuts likes this

Jvaz615
  • Jvaz615

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:39 AM

Having played every single GTA game since the original (I'm old), I can say that IV is the best story of the series hands down. Vice City is a close 2nd followed by V and San Andreas dead last. SA was fun but the story quickly fell apart after leaving LS. It ventured into Saints Row 3/4 territory(yes I know it was before those games). VC is a great story of building an empire but IV is just so well written. Nikos story is one of the best in all of gaming. That one scene with him drinking tea with Faustins wife, explaining the things he saw, you can't beat that.
  • SonOfLiberty, EL_FUGA, thekillerdonuts and 3 others like this

MrKush
  • MrKush

We need Yachts

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:41 AM

I'm totally not about to write a wall of text, though part of me wants to. IMO San Andreas blows everything else away. Vice city is comfortably in 2nd place. San Andreas connected all the dots perfectly. From your rise in Los Santos, to branching out & becoming essentially a crime boss throughout the state. Meeting & befriending important, powerful characters contributing to your rise. Only to ultimately have to return to your breeding grounds to avenge your turf, ridding the neighborhood of those you once called your friend. Integrating the LA riot into the plot. Best story to me. Vice is was also great with its clear influences. I've never once been impressed by GTA 4 or 5. 5 is a shell of San Andreas was, & 4, I simply never liked. Thought the story was a bit of a mess honestly. The Ballad of Gay Tony was MUCH better than 4 IMO

MrKush
  • MrKush

We need Yachts

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:54 AM

Gta IV just wishes it was a movie...but it's not...so it hardly works. Nike was cool, a pain to listen to after a while, then the story was just plain & unexciting. Who actually bought into that war-torn veteran BS? outside of Niko, I didn't give the slightest sh*t about any of the characters...that's a BIG problem, seeing how with every installment previously, it was the exact opposite . TBoGT connected some of those dots & made the story more 'whole'. & afterwards I appreciated it more. But on its own, I found IV to be disappointing.

MrKush
  • MrKush

We need Yachts

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:06 AM

Oh dam there was also that pilot school & driving school, working out, eating...let me stop myself. Gta4 was a total disappointment. Relied too much on graphics & a seriously overrated plot. I'm also from NYC, & I found the map to nice. But it didn't wow me. Ultimately gta4 was disappointing its what I'm trying to convey
  • KING2dor likes this

im_stoned
  • im_stoned

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:12 AM Edited by im_stoned, 28 March 2014 - 02:18 AM.

you should watch breaking bad that show really does suffer from everything written in the opening post.

the first two seasons make you feel bad for his wife then it turns around and trys to be simular too scarface...........   If it was a movie and the plot was focused around the first two seasons an ended with him getting busted it would of been GOAT but...... going from that to being a show about a badass drug dealer with no morals really killed my vibe. It's like watching a movie about a Christian girl who does all the right things and you become invested in the overall theme and message then it turns around and says being a slut with no morals is cool...... I dunno maybe that's just me but it's lame when a story has the potential to be meaningful and they destroy it to be more edgy and mainstream

say what you want about IV it never felt fake or forced the characters had morals and stayed loyal to them from start to finish. I'm not saying character development is a bad thing but when its done for the sake of the story it's really lame. The IV story and characters are good enough to be entertaining without jumping the shark. I love the overall message of IV. It's not the cheap '' crime doesn't pay b,s'' To me it was more about showing how you're selfishness and bad choices can affect the people you love the most. I'm not saying niko is selfish btw i'm just talking about the overall theme of the game.

I mean when michelle said '' you should get out crime doesn't pay'' I was like f*ck off yes it does but I come to realize it's not about money it's about how many lives you f*ck up and how many people get killed as a result of you being in the life. Is the money and shortcut really worth it ? that's what I took away from it.

I also loved niko because his character is really close to what im like in real life ( the criminal lifestyle and the war, the way I grew up aside of course) I can relate to nikos views on America beings fake ect. I feel the same way at times. I see him as negative but also a realist much like myself I believe his a positive person he just doesn't like his current direction in life and the direction of the world around him

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Goodfella

• Australia

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:20 AM

say what you want about IV it never felt fake or forced the characters had morals and stayed loyal to them from start to finish. I'm not saying character development is a bad thing but when its done for the sake of the story it's really lame. The IV story and characters are good enough to be entertaining without jumping the shark. I love the overall message of IV. It's not the cheap '' crime doesn't pay b,s'' To me it was more about showing how you're selfishness and bad choices can affect the people you love the most. I'm not saying niko is selfish btw i'm just talking about the overall theme of the game.

I mean when michelle said '' you should get out crime doesn't pay'' I was like f*ck off yes it does but I come to realize it's not about money it's about how many lives you f*ck up and how many people get killed as a result of you being in the life. Is the money and shortcut really worth it ? that's what I took away from it.

I also loved niko because his character is really close to what im like in real life ( the criminal lifestyle and the war, the way I grew up aside of course) I can relate to nikos views on America beings fake ect. I feel the same way at times. I see him as negative but also a realist much like myself I believe his a positive person he just doesn't like his current direction in life and the direction of the world around him

My thoughts exactly. This is why Niko's the best protagonist in the series to me.

Jvaz615
  • Jvaz615

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:51 AM

My thoughts exactly. This is why Niko's the best protagonist in the series to me.

He's my favorite because it wasn't about rags to riches with him. It was purely about getting revenge by any means necessary. He was a truly tortured soul. Other protags didn't have that. Vercetti was probably second best. A nutjob building an empire. After that, I put Michael. CJ is dead last to me. Part of it is because he whined a little too much for me and partly because, as I have said before, once he leaves LS, the story gets a little goofy and it doesn't fit. Here's this supposed hardcore gang banger...let's have him infiltrate a military base and steal a jetpack for a stoner hippy...suuuuuure

Ledsbourne
  • Ledsbourne

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

Niko's voice irritates me so much I can't relate to the character a single bit. His story was good, but he didn't make a good protagonist whatsoever IMO, Johnny sniffs him along with the breakfast cereal and Luis is far better too.

Jvaz615
  • Jvaz615

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:53 PM

Niko's voice irritates me so much I can't relate to the character a single bit. His story was good, but he didn't make a good protagonist whatsoever IMO, Johnny sniffs him along with the breakfast cereal and Luis is far better too.

Nikos voice didn't bother me at all. Same with Johnny. But Luis irritated me to no end. And I'm a Hispanic from NY and his voice was hard to deal with
  • Jeansowaty likes this

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Goodfella

• Australia

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:00 PM

I could understand a personality trait hindering a relatable quality, but the protagonist's voice itself is a petty reason don't you think?

AnDReJ98
  • AnDReJ98

Soldier

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:30 PM

I don't know. For me, IV's story is perfect, it's dark and serious. I also like SA's story, it's not that bad as some people say, it's better than V's story IMO.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users