Quantcast

» «
Photo

Races are based around the fastest car rather than skill

37 replies to this topic

Poll: Skill or not? (129 member(s) have cast votes)

Which type of race do you think has the most player skill involved?

1. Slipstream and Catch up on (14 votes [9.72%])

Percentage of vote: 9.72%

2. Slipstream on, Catch up off (38 votes [26.39%])

Percentage of vote: 26.39%

3. Slipstream off, Catch up on (11 votes [7.64%])

Percentage of vote: 7.64%

4. Slipstream off, Catch up off (81 votes [56.25%])

Percentage of vote: 56.25%

What type of race involves the most player skill?

1. Short with a lot of turns (31 votes [21.53%])

Percentage of vote: 21.53%

2. Short, few turns (5 votes [3.47%])

Percentage of vote: 3.47%

3. Long with a lot of turns (101 votes [70.14%])

Percentage of vote: 70.14%

4. Long, few turns (7 votes [4.86%])

Percentage of vote: 4.86%

Should R* add in NOS for races? Meaning that NOS and slipstream would go hand in hand. Slipstream off, NOS can be on, NOS off, slipstream can be on.

1. Yes (40 votes [31.01%])

Percentage of vote: 31.01%

2. No (89 votes [68.99%])

Percentage of vote: 68.99%

Vote Guests cannot vote
darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:32 AM

I have noticed that races aren't really based around player skill as much as which car they are in.  It drives me nuts how people who drive like idiots with horrible lines crash into me, and yet i'm punished.  In my opinion, the races that require the most player skill are short/long races with lots of sharp turns and hills.

• ShinobiFixer likes this

BSEANO
  • BSEANO

Cruiser

• Members

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:40 AM

Long bendy tracks with catchup off and slipstream on are the best.

People seem to hate slipstream, but I think it requires some degree of skill to make use of, if you slipstream someone before a corner, you'll probably crash, but if you control your speed and time your overtake, you'll massively benefit from it.

It does seem to be a bit too effective sometimes though, you don't need to stay very close to them for very long to catapult ahead of them. I think it needs tweaking a little bit. 

• HirsuteDave, Polska_Duma and GERM! like this

Flūttershy
  • Flūttershy

well you got the perfect disguise and you're looking okay

• BUSTED!
  • Mars

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:40 AM

You've been playing too much Long Haul 2

iiGh0STt
  • iiGh0STt

Gangsta

• BUSTED!
  • Ukraine

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:49 AM

U mean GTAO does not have proper vehicle physics or dynamics?

no way!

• MilezDawg and ShinobiFixer like this

KoingWolf
  • KoingWolf

If Found: Return to Online Section

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:55 AM

Couldn't disagree with you more.

Are you going to win in an Infernus vs. Entity, Adder, and a Turismo? Unless they are God awful racers, absolutely not. But that's because that car isn't competitive and shouldnt be in races like that in the first place. It's just one of a number of cars that guarantee a loss.

Now in sports and supers at least, there are a few choices to choose from. No one car will guarantee anyone a victory, unlike what your thread title implies.

As for NOS... Yeah that can stay away, thanks. Unless they add in a Midnight Club style coupe/sports/sedan/compact modifications, it has no place in a normal GTA Online race.
  • mo-seph likes this

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:02 AM

U mean GTAO does not have proper vehicle physics or dynamics?

no way!

No, the vehicle physics are fine.  Maybe the mass needs to be upped a bit to stop the constant pitting.

BaM BooZeLLed
  • BaM BooZeLLed

Scooby Guy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:05 AM Edited by BaM BooZeLLed, 06 March 2014 - 02:09 AM.

Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

I beat people in higher class cars all the time. Lots of people choose the fastest cars for everything, but fast cars aren't always the smartest choice. Sometimes slow can be more beneficial depending on the situation. If you are driving against perfect drivers well yeah it will be more challenging but there always has to be a faster car and a slower one.

So there should only be one car per class and they must have same mods? Sounds boring to me. I like the challenge, I love winning in the underdog. I don't think any of the cars are that much better then one another to really offset your chances. Some handle better some are faster.

I will agree that some cars might be in the wrong classes due to their performance, but not many how I see it.

So all in all I have to disagree here, straight line races are really the only ones that don't rely on the driver and there are very few of them put there.

As for the pitting, welcome to online racing PLUS this is GTA which means people are going to do anything and everything to mess you up being that most of the people racing don't play in depth racing sims. Go race with a group of friends if you want clean. Ever play Forza, GT, nfs, or any other racer online? This is always a problem unless they introduce "ghosting" where no one can touch each other.

SALO or The 120 Days Of Sodom
  • SALO or The 120 Days Of Sodom

Playa

• Members

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:09 AM

people have to remember this is GTA.. a game that does "everything", though not perfectly.. its not a Shooter, not a racing simulator, not a golf simulator, not a tennis simulator, etc.  

• SirPhilMcKraken, BaM BooZeLLed, iiGh0STt and 1 other like this

HirsuteDave
  • HirsuteDave

Playa

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:13 AM Edited by HirsuteDave, 06 March 2014 - 02:15 AM.

People seem to hate slipstream, but I think it requires some degree of skill to make use of, if you slipstream someone before a corner, you'll probably crash, but if you control your speed and time your overtake, you'll massively benefit from it.

It does seem to be a bit too effective sometimes though, you don't need to stay very close to them for very long to catapult ahead of them. I think it needs tweaking a little bit. 

This.

I actually quite like using it but I go out of my way not to plow into the back of people. And I'm guilty of getting a tow and overshooting corners on many occasions but without it there's just so many cars that would not stand a chance.

Race lobbies have enough Elegies and Entities as it is without actively punishing variety.

Edit: Forgot to add that I wouldn't be opposed to NOS if it was an option available to everyone and you could turn it off in the race settings if you so wished.

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:17 AM

If you wan't to win a race that has slipstream on, then you better stay behind everyone the whole race.  I think that is just ridiculous that slipstream can give you a win that you didn't deserve.

BSEANO
  • BSEANO

Cruiser

• Members

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:23 AM

If you wan't to win a race that has slipstream on, then you better stay behind everyone the whole race.  I think that is just ridiculous that slipstream can give you a win that you didn't deserve.

I agree dude, I hate losing to some guy flying past me out of nowhere on the last straight, that's why I'm saying it needs to be tweaked a little bit.

i.e. having to stay behind them longer and closer (at the moment you can slipstream someone by only having half your car in their wake, it needs to be harder to get the boost IMO).

Also having catch-up off will help with that too.

BaM BooZeLLed
  • BaM BooZeLLed

Scooby Guy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:26 AM Edited by BaM BooZeLLed, 06 March 2014 - 02:27 AM.

As part of the new update catch up becomes disabled when there is only one check point left. So if your ahead you will not lose ground because of that at least.

From now on my races will have slip off and catch up off. Every time we race that way I have to wait for everyone else to catch up before I finish so no one gets DNF. While when slip is on and catch up Im in the top 3 and usually lose my lead with .5m left haha. 

Patch Notes

https://support.rock...icles/201610516
"Catch-Up is now turned off in Races when only one Checkpoint remains"

iiGh0STt
  • iiGh0STt

Gangsta

• BUSTED!
  • Ukraine

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:34 AM Edited by iiGh0STt, 06 March 2014 - 02:42 AM.

rubbing is racing

unless you consider Nascar Officials to have a point of why rubbing is no longer aloud in Nascar. (like the death of Dale Earnhardt which was caused from something they do not allow now days... a slipstream that would slow the person in front of you down and cause them to loose speed and control)

But yep, sometimes there will always be that asshole who goes out of his way to pit you because you touched his car earlier. I love beating those people.

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:48 AM

rubbing is racing

unless you consider Nascar Officials to have a point of why rubbing is no longer aloud in Nascar. (like the death of Dale Earnhardt which was caused from something they do not allow now days... a slipstream that would slow the person in front of you down and cause them to loose speed and control)

But yep, sometimes there will always be that asshole who goes out of his way to pit you because you touched his car earlier. I love beating those people.

It's not rubbing if they slam into you every two seconds.

marquisman
  • marquisman

Where is me VIRGO... fool?

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:05 AM

Online races need work but, maybe we will get lucky down the road. Maybe, the derby guys will loose interest in racing slowly. I don't mind a little bump and grind but, the derby crap is too much. Its also a cheap shot. Got to watch out for those racers who seem like they are decent too. They will try to pull a move just before the finish if, you run neck and neck the whole race.

iiGh0STt
  • iiGh0STt

Gangsta

• BUSTED!
  • Ukraine

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:05 AM

It's not rubbing if they slam into you every two seconds.

ever seen nascar? looks pretty real to me.

• Captain Hammer likes this

HirsuteDave
  • HirsuteDave

Playa

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:08 AM

At least they're better than the assholes who pit you straight off the start. Accidental contact is forgivable but swerving into my side on a straight bit of road is just a dick move.

• darkwar854 and iiGh0STt like this

GR Choke
  • GR Choke

Fun Race Creator

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:38 AM

the fastest car would be useful on something like the commute

Sangers
  • Sangers

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:52 AM

Rally races and GTA races require the most skill.

Rezard
  • Rezard

Trick

• Members

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:42 AM

@ GR Choke:

Totally agreed.  That's one of those races where skill is definitely not the biggest factor.  I remember starting at the back in that race, and getting mercilessly smashed into the sides at the start, and even held in place for a good ~5 seconds one time.  Absolutely, positively no chance for recovery.  What a mess..

In general, the more the players are forced to deal with, the more skill it takes.  Do a race of 99 laps, at night in the rain, on a long track you've never ran before.  Traffic, wanted levels, catchup, slipsteam--  GTA or Rally settings definitely spice that up.  A lot of this would add more to the factor of luck in races, but making some people drive over-powered cars in said nightmare does weed out more of the slam 'n' go drivers.

They poll seems pretty obvious to me.  Except maybe the NOS, but on that it's specifics--  I like the idea of having NOS in freeroam, or impromptu races.  Just not a more proper race, in my opinion.

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:44 AM

@ GR Choke:

Totally agreed.  That's one of those races where skill is definitely not the biggest factor.  I remember starting at the back in that race, and getting mercilessly smashed into the sides at the start, and even held in place for a good ~5 seconds one time.  Absolutely, positively no chance for recovery.  What a mess..

In general, the more the players are forced to deal with, the more skill it takes.  Do a race of 99 laps, at night in the rain, on a long track you've never ran before.  Traffic, wanted levels, catchup, slipsteam--  GTA or Rally settings definitely spice that up.  A lot of this would add more to the factor of luck in races, but making some people drive over-powered cars in said nightmare does weed out more of the slam 'n' go drivers.

They poll seems pretty obvious to me.  Except maybe the NOS, but on that it's specifics--  I like the idea of having NOS in freeroam, or impromptu races.  Just not a more proper race, in my opinion.

I thought they did NOS good in TBOGT.

BSEANO
  • BSEANO

Cruiser

• Members

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:46 AM

I agree with rally races, but GTA races? Really?

I mean they're fun, since it feels like Mario Kart or Crash Team Racing (best PS1 game ever) with the rockets and stuff, but there's no skill in spamming sticky bombs or showering people with bullets, especially if they don't own a car in that class so they don't have bulletproof wheels.

Fun, but not skillful.

Biohazard Abyss
  • Biohazard Abyss

SC Thread Avatar Comp Winner

• BUSTED!
  • Cuba
  • Best New Member 2013

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:48 AM

GTA races require the most skill.

Gangsta Mario Kart.

iiGh0STt
  • iiGh0STt

Gangsta

• BUSTED!
  • Ukraine

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:49 AM

agreed. gta races are by far the most arcade style and pure luck.

LeperJones
  • LeperJones

SANTANIST

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:50 AM Edited by LeperJones, 06 March 2014 - 04:50 AM.

That or bumping yo azz out.

Sangers
  • Sangers

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:32 AM Edited by Sangers, 06 March 2014 - 05:33 AM.

I agree with rally races, but GTA races? Really?

I mean they're fun, since it feels like Mario Kart or Crash Team Racing (best PS1 game ever) with the rockets and stuff, but there's no skill in spamming sticky bombs or showering people with bullets, especially if they don't own a car in that class so they don't have bulletproof wheels.

Fun, but not skillful.

Maybe more luck than skill but we did alot of them last night and it takes some skill to pick your battles. If you know everyone is going to be spamming grenades, stickies and rockets, you have the option of hanging back until weapons are armed or trying to make a break for it.

Alot of these races result in one person making a break for it whilst everyone in the middle of the pack gets stuck in a never ending loop of exploding each other.

So IMO, the skill is making a break at the beginning and dodging rockets to get a clean get away, or hanging back and blowing everyone up and then making your break.

Edit: Also if no custom vehicles are involved, it takes some skill to shoot out someone's tyres.

CJXJ220
  • CJXJ220

Thug

• Members

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:04 AM

At least they're better than the assholes who pit you straight off the start. Accidental contact is forgivable but swerving into my side on a straight bit of road is just a dick move.

When I was in racing in public games, if somebody tried to take me out like that I'd usually hit the brakes.  Often times they'd either overshoot and crash, or they'd end up clipping my front end as they passed and pitting themselves.  

Didn't always work, but when it did it was glorious.  :)  

• iiGh0STt likes this

homeskillet
  • homeskillet

Hustler

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:45 AM Edited by homeskillet, 06 March 2014 - 06:49 AM.

I disagree with the popular vote and i suspect it is because half of the people here can't read properly.

I chose slipstream off and catch up on(even though I prefer to race with the opposite settings) because it requires more skill to win a race when people have the chance at actually racing you.

When catch up and slip stream are both off anyone who gets rammed from behind or has a slower car doesn't have a chance in hell of winning therefor mot much skill was asked of the winner.

DrAnomalous
  • DrAnomalous

Disfavored Veracity

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:29 AM Edited by DrAnomalous, 06 March 2014 - 07:32 AM.

I like your poll but there's no way you can defend the physics in this game with a straight face. Your complaint in your OP has everything to do with how badly they screwed up the driving in this game.

It drives me nuts how people who drive like idiots with horrible lines crash into me, and yet i'm punished. 

I feel cheated when the guy pitting cars faces no negative consequences. 

Captain Hammer
  • Captain Hammer

Oligarch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:34 AM

Couldn't disagree with you more.

Are you going to win in an Infernus vs. Entity, Adder, and a Turismo? Unless they are God awful racers, absolutely not. But that's because that car isn't competitive and shouldnt be in races like that in the first place. It's just one of a number of cars that guarantee a loss.

Now in sports and supers at least, there are a few choices to choose from. No one car will guarantee anyone a victory, unlike what your thread title implies.

As for NOS... Yeah that can stay away, thanks. Unless they add in a Midnight Club style coupe/sports/sedan/compact modifications, it has no place in a normal GTA Online race.

A good racer can win in Super class with an Infernus. The differences in most cars and for sure the top of the class, can all be made up for by good driving. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users