Quantcast

» «
Photo

Anyone else think cars nowadays are getting uglier?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic
Laveerre
  • Laveerre

You just lost the game

• BUSTED!
  • NATO

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:10 PM

IRL and in GTA
Turismo for example, I mean look at the first Turismo
640px-Turismo-GTASA-front.jpg
Sporty and good looking, then came IV version
Turismo_GTA_IV.png
Pretty ugly IMHO, or atleast uglier than the first one
Then there's the new Turismo R
TurismoR-GTAV-Front.jpg
Looks like a damn UFO
And then there's the Cheetah
Cheetah-GTAVC-front.jpg
Nice old Testarossa look, and then the new Cheetah
Cheetah-GTAV-Front.jpg
f*cking what??? Another spaceship

But my point is that cars in the 1970-1999 were the best looking cars, and cars nowadays look weird and ugly

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:24 PM

YES.

1004phr_20_o+1968_chevy_chevelle_ss+righ

1967_ford_galaxie_500_1_lgw.jpg

Wish I had a time machine  :inlove:

• 018361 likes this

Laveerre
  • Laveerre

You just lost the game

• BUSTED!
  • NATO

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

Me too :(
This car has been one of my favorites forever
1959_chevrolet_impala-pic-44807.jpeg

• 018361 likes this

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Perhaps here things will be different

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:31 PM

I have no idea whether this should be in vehicle chat or general series chat, but I'm not a mod anymore so I don't have to make that decision lol.

As for the question I think there are still some great looking modern cars. Not everything from "back in the day " is a good looker except for some of the muscle/sports cars.

Just as a side note it's probably more to do with SA's blocky graphics, but GTA IV's Turismo is a far nicer looking beast IMO.

Laveerre
  • Laveerre

You just lost the game

• BUSTED!
  • NATO

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:32 PM

I have no idea whether this should be in vehicle chat or general series chat, but I'm not a mod anymore so I don't have to make that decision lol.

As for the question I think there are still some great looking modern cars. Not everything from "back in the day " is a good looker except for some of the muscle/sports cars.

Just as a side note it's probably more to do with SA's blocky graphics, but GTA IV's Turismo is a far nicer looking beast IMO.

Might be, but HD universe version of SA Turismo would probably be a lot better looking. Hard to say since no one has made that

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:37 PM

Me too :(
This car has been one of my favorites forever
1959_chevrolet_impala-pic-44807.jpeg

250131d1248094164-whip-pix-sticky-please

I disagree. However, gotta say that European and Asian cars look have gotten generally better with the years. I still find the last ones ugly and boring.

• Laveerre likes this

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:38 PM Edited by The Odyssey, 05 March 2014 - 12:38 PM.

Honestly I think you're blinded by nostalgia.

If V's Turismo had the same design in San Andreas, I'd say you would probably appreciate it more. Same goes for the Cheetah.

IRL, Old cars seem to look more blocky and generic. New cars out there seem to look more sexy IMO.

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:39 PM

http://gtaforums.com...ly-cars/page-31

Laveerre
  • Laveerre

You just lost the game

• BUSTED!
  • NATO

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:41 PM Edited by Laveerre, 05 March 2014 - 12:42 PM.

Honestly I think you're blinded by nostalgia.

If V's Turismo had the same design in San Andreas, I'd say you would probably appreciate it more. Same goes for the Cheetah.

IRL, Old cars seem to look more blocky and generic. New cars out there seem to look more sexy IMO.

I don't like the new cars, but it's all matter of taste, which you can't debate on.
But IMO this 1959 Impala
0812sr_03_z1959_chevy_impala_biscayne_br
is a LOT better looking than this 2009 Impala
2009_Chevrolet_Impala-2.jpg

Fonshway
  • Fonshway

Mirror Park Citizen

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:42 PM

Spaceships hahaha, they kinda do look like that

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Empty Pleasures and Desperate Measures since 1994

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:42 PM

This.

The answer is no. People just only ever look back at the nicer cars. They forget that most cars from the 60s/70s were utter sh*te and brain-bleedingly dull.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Perhaps here things will be different

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:45 PM Edited by SonOfLiberty, 05 March 2014 - 12:47 PM.

To be fair I bet back in the 70s, 80, 90s all the guys who grew with hotrods in the 40s or whatever probably thought the newer cars were spaceship like aswell.

IMO it's a generational thing. I love classics as much as anyone, but I don't discourage newer cars and as I said before not all cars from that period the OP suggested are really nice looking.

Think of a first generation Ford Taurus.

*shudders*

Laveerre
  • Laveerre

You just lost the game

• BUSTED!
  • NATO

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:45 PM Edited by Laveerre, 05 March 2014 - 12:47 PM.

This.

The answer is no. People just only ever look back at the nicer cars. They forget that most cars from the 60s/70s were utter sh*te and brain-bleedingly dull.

Old cars = Few ugly, mostly good looking with great engines and sounds
New cars = Most ugly but a few good looking with ricey sounds but some still have that V8 roaring

Like I said, matter of taste. I'm not forcing anyone to like all old cars, but I like every car from 1960-1999
EDIT: but I should've posted this in Off-topic / Vehicles, can you move it?

• RoadRunner71 likes this

uNi
  • uNi

Feroci

• None
  • Best Official Gang 2014 [Feroci]

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:48 PM

Moved to Vehicles. 

Rainbow Party
  • Rainbow Party

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:00 PM

Well yeah I agree that new cars in general are uglier than older ones. New cars just have radical shapes and lines as if they were desperate to make them look modern, but they look bad and show they ran out of ideas. And what's the deal with the new Corvette looking like a Ferrari?
Also, models that usually change their whole style every 10 years or so still look pretty much the same, like the Mustang or new Peugeot cars.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:19 PM

I don't think old cars in general are better looking then modern cars. It's just like music, we only remember the hits and all the other crap that was made back then just fell to the wayside, as they should have. Give it another 20-30 years and I guarantee only the best looking cars of our generation will be remembered while stuff like the Corolla will be forgotten. 

Laveerre
  • Laveerre

You just lost the game

• BUSTED!
  • NATO

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

I don't think old cars in general are better looking then modern cars. It's just like music, we only remember the hits and all the other crap that was made back then just fell to the wayside, as they should have. Give it another 20-30 years and I guarantee only the best looking cars of our generation will be remembered while stuff like the Corolla will be forgotten. 

Could be, but future cars will probably be hideous, just look at this Cadillac Concept car
world-thorium-fuel-cadillac-concept.jpg
I'd rather drive a Corolla

• Ex Hellraiser likes this

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:40 PM

If we're going to start bringing in speculation as points for this debate then the entire discussion is futile.

• Moth, Marwin and sivispacem like this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:47 PM

Right, so those hundreds of entirely disposable generic four-cylinder saloon cars, most of British Leyland's output ever, most small continental European cars and basically everything made in Japan pre 1973 get ignored for the purposes of your summary then?

Awful engines, tepid and generic styling, atrocious reliability. There's nothing appealing about Morris Cars or the Datsun 410.

Laveerre
  • Laveerre

You just lost the game

• BUSTED!
  • NATO

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:55 PM

Right, so those hundreds of entirely disposable generic four-cylinder saloon cars, most of British Leyland's output ever, most small continental European cars and basically everything made in Japan pre 1973 get ignored for the purposes of your summary then?

Awful engines, tepid and generic styling, atrocious reliability. There's nothing appealing about Morris Cars or the Datsun 410.

I didn't say every old car is good looking and fast, but most of them are that I know of. Or should I put it this way:
There are more good looking cars between 1960-1999 THAN there are in 1999-2015
And nothing appealing about Datsun 410???
datsun410side65.jpg
It may not be the best looking car out there, but sure as hell is better looking than a Nissan Juke or Fiat Multipla

Rainbow Party
  • Rainbow Party

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:57 PM

but you are comparing a pretty old car to 2 new ugly cars, that's not fair :p

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:02 PM

I didn't say every old car is good looking and fast, but most of them are that I know of. Or should I put it this way:
datsun410side65.jpg
It may not be the best looking car out there, but sure as hell is better looking than a Nissan Juke or Fiat Multipla

That's the problem with these sort of discussions, it's all highly subjective. I have nothing against the Datsun 410, but I think its a very generic looking car for that era. You also mentioned that it's a lot better looking than a Nissan Juke but I find the Juke to be quite a handsome car (yes I thought it was ugly as sin when I first saw it but it's grown on me). Also, are you kidding me about cars looking better between 1960 and 1999? the 90s were the worst in car design, but of course thats just my opinion. To be honest I don't see this thread going anywhere but down, especially since a lot of what's being said here could very well go in the fugly cars topic. 

• gtamann123 likes this

Laveerre
  • Laveerre

You just lost the game

• BUSTED!
  • NATO

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:27 PM Edited by Laveerre, 05 March 2014 - 02:29 PM.

but you are comparing a pretty old car to 2 new ugly cars, that's not fair :p

What do you mean excactly? 
Should I compare a 1998 Celica to 2014 Civic for example? I'd still go for the Celica, even though it's not that good looking car, but the new Civic is just so... "Modern" that I dislike it

That's the problem with these sort of discussions, it's all highly subjective. I have nothing against the Datsun 410, but I think its a very generic looking car for that era. You also mentioned that it's a lot better looking than a Nissan Juke but I find the Juke to be quite a handsome car (yes I thought it was ugly as sin when I first saw it but it's grown on me). Also, are you kidding me about cars looking better between 1960 and 1999? the 90s were the worst in car design, but of course thats just my opinion. To be honest I don't see this thread going anywhere but down, especially since a lot of what's being said here could very well go in the fugly cars topic. 

90s had the great looking cars IMO (Supra, Silvia, Skyline, Soarer kinda, F40 etc.) but those are Asian models, I don't know much about 'murican 90s cars (except Viper and Corvette and some other models)
But like I'm saying for the third time, it's all about matter of taste

If you don't like it, that's fine by me, I'm not forcing you. I've got my own opinions, you have yours :)

Doc Rikowski
  • Doc Rikowski

First Generation Gamer

• D1RTY12
  • Mars
  • Best Gang 2013 - D1RTY12
    Best Event 2011 "Turf Wars"

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:43 PM

In general I think there was more creativity and variety in designs from the past.

And I'm talking only about cars used to look, not how they performed.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:47 PM

Supra? Early nineties an wedge, later 90s a rather handsome curvy thing.
Silvia? S13 good, S14 ugly, S15 good.
Skyline? R32 great, R33 meh, R34 gopping, R35 kinda cool.
Soarer? Just plain ugly.
F40 great, sure, but F50 oddly proportioned and the 360/612/599 much nicer to my eye.

Like you say, it's all subjective but then again I didn't make the claim "older cars = few ugly, mostly good looking with great engines and sounds". Which is true if you exclude all the utter bilge and only consider the classics that are appreciated for their looks/performance, which like modern cars is only a small proportion of what's on the market.
  • Sting4S likes this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:02 PM Edited by StingrayX, 05 March 2014 - 03:10 PM.

I favor a lot the new cars that are coming out these days, but there is no doubting that there are some hideous new monstrosities coming out.

In my opinion though, the IV Turismo looks the best as does a 360 Modena in the real world.

Also, the 70's, 80's, and 90's did have a lot of hideous cars no doubt. The muscle, sporting, and luxury cars looked good for the most part, but almost everything else was atrocious. Today, even some basic cars look stylish.

Laveerre
  • Laveerre

You just lost the game

• BUSTED!
  • NATO

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:38 PM

Supra? Early nineties an wedge, later 90s a rather handsome curvy thing.
Silvia? S13 good, S14 ugly, S15 good.
Skyline? R32 great, R33 meh, R34 gopping, R35 kinda cool.
Soarer? Just plain ugly.
F40 great, sure, but F50 oddly proportioned and the 360/612/599 much nicer to my eye.

Like you say, it's all subjective but then again I didn't make the claim "older cars = few ugly, mostly good looking with great engines and sounds". Which is true if you exclude all the utter bilge and only consider the classics that are appreciated for their looks/performance, which like modern cars is only a small proportion of what's on the market.

Forget what I said about engines and sounds, the point of this thread was merely cars looks, not performance.
S14 looks excactly (or probably is) Nissan 200sx, which is great looking IMO
I do agree that Soarers are ugly cars, but I'd rather have a Soarer than Chrysler PT Cruiser :p

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:57 PM

I'd rather have a Soarer than a Lexus SC, which is its direct successor, but there's not a lot I'd want less than a Lexus SC.

The current LS and IS are much more handsome than their 90s equivalents.

The S14 and 200SX are the same.
  • Sting4S likes this

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:40 PM Edited by Sup3rman, 05 March 2014 - 06:42 PM.

This is an utterly stupid and unimaginably hard topic to figure about. As a whole you can't say that newer cars are worse looking than older ones. You can't say that the car basically started as beautiful thing of engineering and than went and became a fugly piece of metal. There are corgeous designs nowadays, but to me the point lies how these cars are made and why i love older cars myself. Its the design and how they are designed. Look at pictures of how cars were designed back then, sketches and drawings of concepts and then hand drawn schematics that were used to actually complete the production version of the car. Also, there were cars that were virtually hand made, even bodypanels were not pressed but beaten by hammer. You dont see that nowadays, even tho cars are hand made today but with more sophisticated technology. Nowadays car are designed via computers and put together by robots. I know this way the cars get more quality and there are no large caps or mistakes but it sort of feels not made by humans anymore. You can dismiss this comment if you like or argue, but ill stay at my opinion. 

And as an example, a Ferrari 250 GTO and the equivalent car of today, the LaFerrari:

250gto.jpg

laferrari-driving.jpg

E: You can see the imperfections of the 250 GTO even from that pic, and that is actually what shows that it was done by a human being, rather than the boringly and mathematically correct lines of the LaFerrari. This is not saying the LaFerrari isnt a good looking car or ugly. Just that perspective i was talking about. 

• Outcast likes this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:58 PM

I wouldn't say that the 250 GTO and LaFerrari are comparable. One is a street-only hypercar designed to be the last word in outright performance and the other is a homologated racer only sold to the general public because Group 3 racing rules required it to be.

I do completely bet your point about the "human" aspect in the design though. That's why I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the endless procession of small barn-built supercars that the UK seems to produce, as well as some of the low-volume builders elsewhere.

Noble
noble-m12-coupe-petrol_14883768.jpg

Weismann
cityscapes%20cars%20sports%20weismann%20

TVR
sagaris.jpg

Ginetta
2012-ginetta-g60-side-speed-600x800.jpg

Lotus
11798.jpg
  • gtamann123 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic