Finally i don't drive a piece of sh*t.

39 replies to this topic
turbocharger
  • turbocharger

stisni pisni, pusti zviždi

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:58 PM

You make a good point and all, but thank God tinting is a thing of personal choice. I'm still equally convinced it's an awesome invention and I'm glad it's affordable.

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Draw Contest Winner 2016
    Best Poster [Vehicles] 2015
    Best Poster [Vehicles] 2014

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:56 PM Edited by epoxi, 14 March 2014 - 06:57 PM.

From an aesthetics point of view, I will always favour tinted windows. I also think it looks strange and uneven when the front windows aren't tinted and the read windows are.

In my Citroen the front windows were tinted to the legal limit and I enjoyed it very much both from a privacy and aesthetic perspective. However, like sivis says, if I was on the phone you wouldn't be able to tell, so it can increase the risk to other motorists depending on the driver's behaviour. Fortunately I never use the phone while driving (not even with a hands-free kit, I don't feel comfortable), and I try to always assume the other drivers on the road are going to make a mistake and compensate for it.

I would get tints in my new car, but I don't think the expense, effort and increase in insurance premium justifies it.

turbocharger
  • turbocharger

stisni pisni, pusti zviždi

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:40 PM

I agree.
Which Citroen did you own? :)

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:51 PM Edited by epoxi, 14 March 2014 - 11:51 PM.

A 1.4 litre Citroen C2, with all the hoodlum boy-racer modifications.

chris
  • chris

Everton FC

• The Connection

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:02 PM

Yo guys, on the subject of tinting, i'd agree i think the car would suit tinted windows yet i actually prefer non tinted windows, i once drove a neighbours 530i with factory tints on a wet and miserable night and struggled with visibility so i'd prefer it stock for now!. At the moment it's got a slight oil leak and it's one of the brakes needs attention as it seems to be grating the pad slightly as i'm driving, it's previous MOT said their was slight play on one of the front wishbones too so i'm getting it booked in for a service and to get these jobs fixed asap. It's due it's MOT next month so hopefully once it will pass no problem once i've got the niggly issues sorted out, i'd like to do a few of these jobs myself but don't have proper facilities to jack the car up safely to work underneath.

Once i know it's mechanically sorted i've been pondering getting a few things done both aesthetically and performance wise, research tells me these things can be tuned to give it's big brother, the e46 M3, a run for it's money without having to spend a fortune. I've been looking into remaps and the going rate is about £200-300 for a fairly decent power upgrade, my insurance is already a killer so i'd have to consult them beforehand though. Like alot of e46s it's got some rust spots on the arches, underneath boot and two slight patches on the bonnet, one or two small dings and a door dent from some careless arsehole in a car park, i've got a mate from Nuneaton who manages a vehicle repairs workshop who should be able to set me up with a deal to get it looking spotless. I still haven't gotten around to refurbishing the alloys but i think i'll use Zyonig's guide and do them myself!

Some of the exhaust mods sound great and if anyone has a low cost solution to improving it's sound i'm all ears! I'd like the eisenmann setup but i'd have to do without food for a few weeks to fund it :p

Inside the car it's just minor jobs i'd like to do, the gear knob is worn so i'll be replacing that, i've also seen a badass diy cupholder mod for the centre console which i'd like to attempt. The current steering wheel is worn and is the crap old style one so i'll be looking to get one with the buttons which apparently you can wire up so that it's fully functional. The drivers seat has worn over the years and ruins what is otherwise a near spotless interior, passenger side needs slight attention but the rear seats look brand new, i'm not sure wether to replace the front two seats with the better ones featured on the sports model, M3 seats are out of my price range and i'm not sure they would fit a 330d saloon anyway.

Still loving the car though!

• epoxi likes this

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:12 PM

I'd focus on your ideas for the interior: these are generally cheap, DIY and you will appreciate them every day.

Like you said, the performance mods will hit you on insurance plus may reduce the reliability of the engine. I'm basing basing the reliability speculation on the only person I know to get their Volvo ECU chipped whose turbo started playing up, by all means it could have gone faulty anyway, but I work on the assumption there's a reason manufacturers don't harness all the power from stock. I know the BMW Mini Cooper is/used to be a regular Mini just with a different ECU but I assume in the German compact executive market competition is too high to do silly things like that.

As for the rust, it'll always come back unless you cut the whole rear quarter out and replace it, which will be costly even at friends' rates.

Carlover325
  • Carlover325

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:51 AM

Yo guys, on the subject of tinting, i'd agree i think the car would suit tinted windows yet i actually prefer non tinted windows, i once drove a neighbours 530i with factory tints on a wet and miserable night and struggled with visibility so i'd prefer it stock for now!.

Are you sure they have factory tint?  I don't have a BMW, but my Jeep has factory tint that's pretty dark from the outside, but when inside, I have absolutely no problem seeing even when dark and raining.

Here's a picture of the outside of my Jeep showing my tint:

Jeeppic2.jpg

What it looks like looking out during the day:

100_1609.jpg

Side note: my speaker grilles have been painted the same color as the headliner (headliner used to be that light gray color, but I had it redone in dark gray the match the rest of the interior).

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Skĺl, jćvler!

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:24 AM

Exhaust- cat back from a custom place. Cheaper than getting a branded system and usually better. I'm going custom on mine when I finally get round to throwing some money at it.

Plenty of people doing maps for the 30d engine, they're fairly resilient up to about 300bhp on standard internals.

I'd probably run a bigger intercooler just to me safe as the standard ones are pretty piddly.

Previously I'd probably also recommend a DPF delete but these are now illegal in the UK and an immediate MOT fail.

Might want to look at a single mass flywheel and uprated clutch too. F*cking hate this dual mass sh*t we get in everything these days, moment the release bearings get a bit old the whole thing sh*ts itself and you get landed with a £1k repair bill.

Going to junk the DMF in mine as soon as I'm done killing my clutch.

ddyoung
  • ddyoung

Get freaky... Not that freaky

• Members
  • England

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:22 AM

I'd love to own that. Congrats!

Oldman_Jenkins
  • Oldman_Jenkins

I'm glad I gave up farming

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:28 PM

Congrats on a decent car. Unfortunately you will look like a cock when driving it, even when you drive safely.

Naa, the BMW driver mantle has been taken over by Audi drivers to those in the know

Yesssssss

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users