Skyrim: Playthrough #15,000,000

23 replies to this topic
chainsoar
  • chainsoar

rider of bikes

• Members
  • England

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:06 PM

So, I decided to pick up Skyrim and give it another run. Been having fun so far but did Bethesda ninja patch something in my absence? Dawnguard never used to be this intense. I'm only at level 8 so far and I haven't even been approached by the old orcish Dawnguard recruiter yet but I would swear half of Whiterun has been killed in vampire attacks already. I've only logged less than 17 hours and here's the list of the dead so far -

Adrianne Avenicci

Ulfreth War-Bear (yes, that means Warmaiden's is now permanently closed)

Brenuin

Anoriath

Ahlam

Carlotta Valentia

Jon Battle-Born

and 3 town guards.

What the f*ck? Anyone experienced this level of intensity in vampire attacks before? Seems pretty ridiculous at such a low level. I've got the difficulty turned down to 'adept' from 'master', by the way, since I'm rusty and besides, trying to play master at the start of the game doesn't usually work out great.

• theadmiral likes this

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

Founder And Opening Batsman: Vinewood Cricket Club

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:20 PM

If one happens it is upon zoning in or out of a building / city. There is always an auto save in that event. What I do is load the save again and again until no NPCs die during it. I know that isn't a very helpful answer.

Since Dawnguard you get the master vampire, 2 or 3 regular ones, and a couple death hounds right at the city entrance and Adrienne Avenici and the other guy are always walking around there.

chainsoar
  • chainsoar

rider of bikes

• Members
  • England

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:27 PM Edited by chainsoar, 01 March 2014 - 11:29 PM.

I've had Adrianne die in vampire attacks in previous playthroughs, but Ulfreth usually gets away with it, as he spends 95% of his life either in the shop or in his house, with the occasional rare visit to the Bannered Mare. I don't recall ever seeing any of the others on my list killed by vampires before, and never a death toll this high in a single town.

As for reloading an autosave, unfortunately the first attack that claimed 3 guards and all the rest except Jon Battle-Born and Carlotta Valentia must've occurred when I was busy moving in and out of buildings, so I didn't have an autosave where they weren't dead. It all happened offscreen, completely unknown to me. The second attack, pretty much the same thing except this time I was attacked. I'm strolling around the Cloud District doing my business when suddenly I'm attacked, so I kill the vampires and their thrall, contracting sanguinare vampiris in the process, then when I descended to the market, Jon and Carlotta are facedown in the dirt.

I also don't understand why nobody has approached me about joining the Dawnguard yet. I seem to recall that happens at level 5? Perhaps my memory is at fault here.

killerbee25
  • killerbee25

Kaz...I'm already a demon...

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:53 PM

I've had Adrianne die in vampire attacks in previous playthroughs, but Ulfreth usually gets away with it, as he spends 95% of his life either in the shop or in his house, with the occasional rare visit to the Bannered Mare. I don't recall ever seeing any of the others on my list killed by vampires before, and never a death toll this high in a single town.

As for reloading an autosave, unfortunately the first attack that claimed 3 guards and all the rest except Jon Battle-Born and Carlotta Valentia must've occurred when I was busy moving in and out of buildings, so I didn't have an autosave where they weren't dead. It all happened offscreen, completely unknown to me. The second attack, pretty much the same thing except this time I was attacked. I'm strolling around the Cloud District doing my business when suddenly I'm attacked, so I kill the vampires and their thrall, contracting sanguinare vampiris in the process, then when I descended to the market, Jon and Carlotta are facedown in the dirt.

I also don't understand why nobody has approached me about joining the Dawnguard yet. I seem to recall that happens at level 5? Perhaps my memory is at fault here.

From what I've read, Dawnguard seems to require a level 10 character. 

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:53 PM

At level 10 the orc will show up.

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

Love For Sale

• The Lost MC
  • Unknown

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:43 AM

Skyrim isnt balanced. a lot of unexpected things can happen at any given moment. vampire attacks only happen at night, so avoid going to cities/villages at that time.

and you didnt have to make a new topic about it, theres already a Skyrim topic around here.

chainsoar
  • chainsoar

rider of bikes

• Members
  • England

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:14 AM

Thanks for the input, I've literally never played Skyrim before and you have totally opened my eyes. Furthermore you have helped me to realise how utterly worthless I am for simply commenting on an unusual experience in one particular playthrough. I am genuinely dumbfounded and wish I was as brilliant as you. I'm also miserably repentant that I wasted bandwidth creating this thread rather than burying it in another thread that is obviously just so cool and non-mainstream it doesn't even need to be on page 1.

badboy_zay
  • badboy_zay

:)

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:42 AM

well, that's why people are annoyed by vampire attack. if you play skyrim on PC, this mod will be useful

http://www.nexusmods...rim/mods/28235/

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

Love For Sale

• The Lost MC
  • Unknown

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:52 AM

Thanks for the input, I've literally never played Skyrim before and you have totally opened my eyes. Furthermore you have helped me to realise how utterly worthless I am for simply commenting on an unusual experience in one particular playthrough. I am genuinely dumbfounded and wish I was as brilliant as you. I'm also miserably repentant that I wasted bandwidth creating this thread rather than burying it in another thread that is obviously just so cool and non-mainstream it doesn't even need to be on page 1.

The f*ck is wrong with you?  :blink: you really got asshurt from my comment? theres already a thread dedicated to Skyrim and your question belongs in there. that's all i freaking said. it was a simple remark.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:52 AM

I had the same problem, literally everyone died the first time the vampires came (mainly because I ran away from them, 'cause I thought the guards would kill them OR THAT THE IMPORTANT CHARACTERS WERE MARKED AS ESSENTIAL.

I was wrong.

chainsoar
  • chainsoar

rider of bikes

• Members
  • England

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:18 PM

The f*ck is wrong with you?  :blink: you really got asshurt from my comment? theres already a thread dedicated to Skyrim and your question belongs in there. that's all i freaking said. it was a simple remark.

"Asshurt" = "I am incapable of intelligent conversation, please disregard my posts"

OK!

Forty
  • Forty

he shouts stroke darker the strings

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:56 PM Edited by Forty, 02 March 2014 - 08:56 PM.

I wouldn't mind vampires killing off random people so long as it didn't render city services inoperable. Killing Adrienne Avenici AND Ulfreth means there's no more blacksmith there, and that sucks.

It happened to me in Riften. A vampire killed the blacksmith (because in every town, the blacksmith is always just standing right out in the open like a douche), I forget his name. So naturally, his apprentice takes over. Well then the vampires kill HIM. Now my convenient Honeyside home is partially useless. Half of its purpose was to have quick access to a blacksmith and multiple vendors without going through load screens. Riften is ideal for that purpose because everyone is right there in the square.

I like the idea of the vampires, but they are too militant with it. Don't make it harder for me to perform basic tasks like selling gear.
  • Daz likes this

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None
  • Best Poster [Gaming] 2015
    Best Poster [Gaming] 2014

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:31 AM

The issue for me was always dragons spawning in cities.

That was just a pisstake. Sure it was amazing and crazy to see the first time but it got f*cking annoying and it would always f*ck sh*t up.

But any time a thief or random vampire or something spawned they would just get owned by me or guards before they ever killed anyone though.

As forty said. I have no issue with random NPC's, but due to the nature of Fallout and Skyrim, there are A LOT of named NPC's. I would rather it were un named NPC's that actually respawn over time like guards or random wastelanders etc.

They can kill as many as they want of those twirps.

It was a shame there isn't a brief window that you could heal dead NPC's or take them to some sort of hospital to recover over time. Because it can become a bitch finding out someone is dead.

• Forty likes this

chainsoar
  • chainsoar

rider of bikes

• Members
  • England

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:42 PM

Well, guess I should update since it turns out I didn't notice Amren and Belethor were dead too. WTF

Forty
  • Forty

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:43 PM

As Daz was saying, it wouldn't be as big a deal if they'd kill off random NPCs instead of quest givers and vendors. It shouldn't be that hard.

chainsoar
  • chainsoar

rider of bikes

• Members
  • England

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:35 AM

Or you know, finally get a grip on a system where everyone is expendable. Remember Biff the Understudy?

iiGh0STt
  • iiGh0STt

Gangsta

• BUSTED!
  • Ukraine

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:01 AM

I played skyrim on 360 for about a day, then downloaded it on PC, used console commands, enjoyed it 100x more for about a week.

never played it again.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:30 AM

Next time round, to avoid random encounters, fast travel maybe outside of whiterun at the stables or farm or somewhere which hopefully will spawn things there instead of in the city walls. Or at least give yourself time to prepare to fight those coming in. Generally NPC's never get killed for me, but it might be something to do with difficulty. Possibly.

Moth
  • Moth

Sheamus McF*ckyourself

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:51 AM

Question, do Dragons attack cities like Whiterun and Windhelm? You know cities that are in their own cells?

Also thank god for the PC version. I either have those two mods installed that force NPCs to run inside if a dragon or vampires attack, or I use the console to revive dead NPCs.

• Daz likes this

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:23 AM

@ Moth I haven't played Skyrim for awhile (busy playing Oblivion) but I think they can.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:52 AM

Question, do Dragons attack cities like Whiterun and Windhelm?

I have had them in Solitude, Riften, Whiterun (pretty sure) and Windhelm.

So I don't see how they can't get into any if they can get into f*cking Solitude.

It doesn't happen too frequently but the odd time it does, it wants to happen wether you like it or not it seems.

Bloody annoying. Especially as I like to use dragonrend or whichever is the one that gets them to land. But the f*cker never lands on ground level so I can stab the c*nt.

This was insanely annoying in the dragonborn DLC, the first little town you go to where you get off the boat, dragons would CONSTANTLY spawn there and ruin sh*t, they would always land on walls too, f*cking pussies.

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:11 PM

Question, do Dragons attack cities like Whiterun and Windhelm? You know cities that are in their own cells?

I've never seen a dragon inside Whiterun. Right outside, plenty of times. The only city i've seen them actually come inside is Riften.

Forty
  • Forty

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

I've never seen a dragon inside Whiterun. Right outside, plenty of times. The only city i've seen them actually come inside is Riften.

On my current 360 game, there is a gigantic dead dragon body lying in the middle of Solitude, just outside the Bard's College. It's body has been there for months and never dissolves into a dragon soul.

So to answer Moth's question: yes.

Kiffster
  • Kiffster

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:37 PM

I've only seen a dragon attack a city other than Riften once, and that was in Markarth. I was also in Whiterun once and I could hear a dragon and guards in the city were all aware of it, but it stayed outside the city walls and I never actually saw it. It never flew over the walls...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users