Photo

"Living, breathing world" Not exactly

350 replies to this topic
Celticfang
  • Celticfang

Playa

• Members

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:27 PM

PkUnzipper I think the problem is (and I've said it before) that big companies are too fixated on games = Hollywood. That they want their games to be like movies, they are getting more and more linear. Comare the freedom in games 5 years ago with now, there's definitely less depeding on where you look.

You could for instance completely take out the free roaming from GTA and it'd look and sound like a bad movie. I don't understand the obsession that some game devs and publishers of trying to emulate Hollywood where it's sequels ad rehashed films every few years

:^: :^: :^: This is also one of my main themes, and sore points, about the wrong direction the GTA series is going.  Rockstar and the Housers think they are hotshot moviemakers, but exactly as you say, they are bad ones at that.  The stories and scripts are somewhere between a mashup of movie cliches and failed Tarantino-like homages to famous movie scenes, but the nature of video games is 100x removed from the engagement, emotion and subtlety that live actors, good writers and good directors create.  So it doesn't work. 

So I pity the many hundreds of artists and technicians and developers that work 16 hour days, turning these middling scripts into machinima and turn-the-crank linear missions. 

Your statement is right on! 

I'm very much inclined to agree with this  :^:

I felt the same way. I too think Rockstar tried too hard take GTA V down that 'Hollywood' angle, and they became obsessed with parodying it. As a result, V has come off looking like some cheap, B-action movie with a weak script, second rate characters and corny dialogue. That's exactly how many of the scenes and events in the game seemed to me. They should have stuck to the essential ingredients that made GTA great I the first place, it needs to return to it's roots.

There was a time when Rockstar just wrote very simple, straightforward, but very entertaining, explosive and gripping storylines/scripts for their GTA titles before V. Even Vice City with it's Scarface and Miami Vice influences has it's own distinct feel and identity. 

Yes but with the Housers writing the scripts will that happen? They won't give up GTA easily if at all though and that's one of the issues I think, that they are obsessed with GTA having to be written like and play like a Hollywood film or films. Rather than having games play as games.

That being said I feel that as consoles and PCs get more powerful it'll only get worse. VC/SA were PS2 era and on a simpler gen so they had less to work with in terms of a total system and had to figure out how to wor within those limits.

You know how less is more? It was for VC/SA in terms of writing whereas now they have so much more space to work with so they fill it up with the latest trend which is Hollywood

• Official General likes this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:41 PM

Yes but with the Housers writing the scripts will that happen? They won't give up GTA easily if at all though and that's one of the issues I think, that they are obsessed with GTA having to be written like and play like a Hollywood film or films. Rather than having games play as games.

That being said I feel that as consoles and PCs get more powerful it'll only get worse. VC/SA were PS2 era and on a simpler gen so they had less to work with in terms of a total system and had to figure out how to wor within those limits.

You know how less is more? It was for VC/SA in terms of writing whereas now they have so much more space to work with so they fill it up with the latest trend which is Hollywood

This is what surprises me about Rockstar and the Houser brothers. Years back before GTA IV came out, one of the Houser brothers stated that they used many unknown voice actors for the game, because even though they wanted to provide the ultimate, cinematic experience - but they added that they did not want the game to have well-known voice actors, because they did not want the game feeling like a Hollywood movie or anything associated with Hollywood culture. It seems they followed the same route with voice actors in GTA V, but they made the game have too much of a Hollywood feel, in a very corny and cliched way too, which just did not feel authentic. Just because V is based in LA it did not have to feel that way. 

I hope Rockstar sees these criticisms, learn from them and not repeat the same mistakes again for once for the next GTA. 

Celticfang
  • Celticfang

Playa

• Members

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:03 PM Edited by Celticfang, 06 March 2014 - 03:07 PM.

They won't. It made money so they'll now probably rehash it and sell it and get another $1 billion

But

If it wasn't called GTA would it have sold that much? I feel R* is phoning in GTA now they could put horse manure in the box and have it get a 10/10 and millions of dollars in sales.

EDIT: To parahrase TotalBiscuit here:

Games are getting more linear as a lot of companies are trying to make their games as movies

He's right (again) and it isn't just R* but they are one of the most obvious people doing it with the linearity issue and the writing issue.

Maybe just maybe I'm cynical about games as I got older but a lot of games seem too cliche, especially GTA. Back with III you had to work for your ending and the game flowed well. VC? Ditto. SA? Less sense in the writing department but you still had to earn your (admittedly cliche) ending.

IV? You had to earn it but none of the choices mattered on a big picture. V? Linear and no choices matter.

• Official General and boxfish566 like this

Capitalist Communist
  • Capitalist Communist

XXX

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:23 PM

@ Syphiroth

Yeah well it turned out to be a sh*t, boring story and script that did not feel like GTA. I just don't think that government stuff really cut the ice with many people, me myself definitely inucluded.

Oh yes, there is an army of GTA fans headed by Official General, that are so dissapointed and angry with the game that they will cause the whole franchise to go bust...Will you perhaps lead a revolution against the naughty company that is Rockstar, or will you fade into obscurity knowing that no other can see what a dark path GTA has taken? Your horde awaits your command!

Seriously now, I am new here so maybe I missed something obvious...is Official General a troll or something? Because if his posts reflect his actual thinking process then he is indeed the pinnacle of stupidity.

ON TOPIC: I think LS has the right feel and, for me atleast, it feels very much alive. The hikers, animals, amount of pedestrian dialogue, the way they interact with the world, even the placement of random events, all of it reflects the superficial nature of Los Santos but with a deeper meaning below the surface (IMO). It is definitely my favourite GTA...Having said that, I don t think the same approach would have worked with Liberty City (comparing with GTA IV because no other installment comes close), there was hate directed towards it s gritty atmosphere and overall feel yeah, but I absolutely loved it, it was perfect for the setting. It felt a bit more silly to me with the npc dialogue and fatty cops sure, but I actually like the more realistic approach they have undertaken with GTA V. It is simply something people are going to have to accept.

Finally someone with actual sense.

You spelled nonsense wrong.

blowtorchrepair
  • blowtorchrepair

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:51 PM

living-breathing-world....  that's just a metaphor, folks....  really.

Bill Williamson
  • Bill Williamson

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:50 PM Edited by Bill Williamson, 06 March 2014 - 05:52 PM.

@ Bill Williamson

Join my fan club and add to my fame. Publicity is all good, I look forward to your replies to my posts, it's great to know that you have also joined the line of many others desperately seeking my attention. But I must warn you that I cannot always reply to you soon enough - there is so much demand for my attention from other forum users on here, my popularity level has surged, so much that I'm struggling to keep up with replies. But if you wait patiently, in due course I will attend to you. 

Thanks.

Ok.

ON TOPIC: Anyway, those that criticise the story represent a very small part of the whole community, so there is no reason for Rockstar to change their direction in this case. However, I think that the story was inspired by the actual setting, the city of LS, and for me it fits and I like it; it is a bit superficial but great fun...The point is, none of the GTA s really had a good story (ok, GTA IV had a solid one) because it was never the point, it was all about the gameplay, side activities and so on...And in that regard, with the SP alone and the introduction of GTAO, the options are limitless; there are flaws sure, but give it a chance...Studies showed that less than 30% of players actually finished the storyline in GTA IV, so was it such a surprise that they shortened it for V?

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:43 PM Edited by StingrayX, 06 March 2014 - 07:37 PM.

- Walking down the Del Perro Pier I notice all this people sitting outside restaurants drinking coffe or eating a donut, I go down under the pier only to find a busker playing the guitar and some people taking pictures of the beach and other areas while there are joggers joggin' and some on bikes on the bike lane.

- I saw this cop car speeding out of a police station with lights and sirens only to start a pursuit on a random car when arriving to Murrieta Heights, they killed the guy then the driver got out and started to inspection the body, a paramedic crew arrived but they weren't able to do anything so they all went back to their thing.

- Exploring the forests and some mountains I notice that people are racing in bikes and are being waited at the end, the people at the end seem to be cheering them.

- Inside of the Studios the staff fix most of the stuff and check the equipment.

- Around the sewers you can see construction workers hammering nails in wooden parts and others in wielder masks wielding some metal.

And so I can go on...

Who cares? In IV, I see people sipping coffee, workers working on blocked off roads in Hove Beach, people buying food, people talking, people reading newspapers, drivers parking in lots and garages, et cetera.
That's not the point though, so your examples are irrelevant and do not prove your point.

Los Santos feels extremely superficial and the NPC's just seem so artificial and too damn short tempered for me to tolerate. If you stand next to one, they'll get mad and call the cops, if you're parking next to a sidewalk they will jump even if you aren't parking crazy and may call the cops, and the NPC dialogue is some of the worst I have ever heard in a GTA. There are no restaurants to go to, you get in trouble with the cops even if they bump into you themselves, the drivers are terrible, and there is not much to do besides golf or driving. Los Santos is nice to look at but just feels... like a holiday destination. Its just so superficial.
  • GutterMouthPWG, Tycek, Official General and 6 others like this

GTAgamerCR7
  • GTAgamerCR7

Player Hater

• Members
  • El-Salvador

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:03 PM

It's not for me to work out what a good story for GTA would be, that's Rockstar's job. All the previous GTAs had good stories, with Vice City being my favorite, followed by GTA IV and San Andreas. RDR had a good story. Those are ready-made examples right there. Most of GTA V's plot felt like it was to do with that federal agent and government stuff, the bulk of the story seemed to revolve around it, despite the fact that there were other sub-plots in the game that were different in theme. 

Dimitri betrayed Niko because of one simple reason - Dimitri is a scheming, double-crossing, ruthless mob boss who will use and betray anyone if it best served his self-interests. That was enough to wanna badly kill him and really hate him. The key to the success of this here, is that Rockstar stuck to a simple script and theme that is typical of GTA, they just added a new twist and flavor to it, by making the antagonist a Russian mob boss. 

Just because he is a Russian he is good and that's a new flavor? you got to give more facts of why he is good. His betrayal was predictable, Faustin even said it, and when he told you to go to the factory he told you to come alone. what kind of twist is this, this was just predictable.

He literally out of nowhere became powerful and what he did with that power is just kidnap Roman who is a completely useless character and mock a homo and what was the point of him killing pegorino in the end and killing Roman, it wasn't going help him increased his power, to me this was just lazy plot writing. Now look at Big Smoke how did he become powerful? he dealt with Tenpenny and got into the drug business, also you could actually see him importing and exporting from and in Los Santos. Did I see that from Dimitri. No I didn't. Him killing the surrounding people later got old. They also pasted his disappearance throughout the story from Big Smoke which shows no originality.

Also what I make fun of is the fact that they introduced Bulgarin as this big man who was part of Niko's past but he didn't served no purpose in the story.However, unlike Rascalov he had a reason to betray Luis and he was also menacing and not a coward like Dimitri. Hell the diamond and the heroin were overused lackluster plots that ended in incoherent and lackluster endings. Working for the pegorinos was useless as well.

They could use a Hispanic mob boss as an antagonist but I could care less. I care more about the execution.

• Officer Ronson and OneManCrimeWave like this

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:48 PM

IV ins't really a saint. I went to both hospitals who were in different locations and I still happen to find the same nurse pointing to no one with a clipboard on her hand and the same people in the same spots just doing different animations.

IV felt pretty robotic and souless when it came to pedestrian interaction, whenever I killed someone with my fists inside the O'Higgins helitours helipads the staff would still point to a helicopter and look at the same location. Nobody would do anything nor give a f*ck about that, there is also the poor AI coding such as the security guards, practically its always an african american overweight guy with a pistol who due to poor programming will fight the cops instead of helping them. Also cops.... yeah, f*ck cops in IV. I just bumped into a cop inside a booth in the Alderney - Algoquin tunnel, he just said to me ''I dont like inmigrants'' with his finger pointing up not looking at me and because I stayed more than even three seconds I already got a wanted level. Paw, Im forced into the arresting animation, I run off and I automaticly get two stars because of that.

boxfish566
  • boxfish566

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:03 PM

IV ins't really a saint. I went to both hospitals who were in different locations and I still happen to find the same nurse pointing to no one with a clipboard on her hand and the same people in the same spots just doing different animations.

IV felt pretty robotic and souless when it came to pedestrian interaction, whenever I killed someone with my fists inside the O'Higgins helitours helipads the staff would still point to a helicopter and look at the same location. Nobody would do anything nor give a f*ck about that, there is also the poor AI coding such as the security guards, practically its always an african american overweight guy with a pistol who due to poor programming will fight the cops instead of helping them. Also cops.... yeah, f*ck cops in IV. I just bumped into a cop inside a booth in the Alderney - Algoquin tunnel, he just said to me ''I dont like inmigrants'' with his finger pointing up not looking at me and because I stayed more than even three seconds I already got a wanted level. Paw, Im forced into the arresting animation, I run off and I automaticly get two stars because of that.

Perhaps IV is not a saint, but this stuff happens pretty much exactly the same in V, although security guards do actually fight with the police now. It's just that in IV you actually have a chance of getting away on foot from a two star, whereas in V you get shot down lightning fast by cops with pinpoint precision ;)

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:07 PM

Well... a weapon is not automaticly going to flip the bullet to the side in real life and police actually do chase you on foot if you're getting away from them in a considerable distance.

boxfish566
  • boxfish566

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:24 PM

Well... a weapon is not automaticly going to flip the bullet to the side in real life and police actually do chase you on foot if you're getting away from them in a considerable distance.

I am aware of that, but I feel that the police officers in the game have unnaturally high accuracy, for example, in a high speed chase, police in V can hit their target no matter what. In IV this does not happen.

The cops in V do chase on foot, but it is very rare, they are far , far too trigger happy for my liking.
  • DaRkL3AD3R and 5.7 like this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:49 PM

Perhaps IV is not a saint, but this stuff happens pretty much exactly the same in V, although security guards do actually fight with the police now. It's just that in IV you actually have a chance of getting away on foot from a two star, whereas in V you get shot down lightning fast by cops with pinpoint precision ;)

I have gotten away on foot plenty of times.

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:59 PM

Oh yeah I also forgot about that glitch in where paramedics instead of healing people would break their designed AI and turn into random civies by going to an ATM and then walking away like if they were never there.  There is also the same two guys in the ambulance who always come to heal the civies no matter what, there is a lack of the black paramedic.

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

Soviet Connection

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:39 AM

Also something GTA 5 does better is that at least Devin and Steve had actual reasons to betray the MIchael as opposed to Dimitri who said I betrayed because you are a bottom feeder peasant. Yeah explain that to me.

I don't agree with that at all. I can somewhat understand Haines' reasons (although I think R* tried a bit too hard to have another Tenpenny-esqe type of antagonist), but Weston? His whole character felt like someone who was bored and wanted to involve himself with criminals such as Michael. It felt very forced and not believable IMO.

Dimitri was a manipulating, deceiving snake who tricked Niko into trusting him, then stabbed him in the back and played cat and mouse games with him. To me that's what makes a great protagonist. Not what they pulled with Weston and Haines.

I mean you say Dimiti's betrayal was a predictable twist, but where's the twist in GTA V? Everything that plays out in GTA V is predictable. We all knew Michael and Trevor would spend most of the game wanting to kill eachother. They even f*cked up on the Brad situation as when you listen to Michael's and Dave's conversation in "By The Book" on their way to Chumush they give a way what happened to him making "Bury The Hatchet" lose its shock value. This all leads to a contrived and rushed ending.

• GutterMouthPWG, Official General, Bonnano and 3 others like this

Luuk'
  • Luuk'

Sup

• Members
  • Nigeria

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:42 AM

Rascalov, Bulgarin and Billy Grey are all better antagonists, with development. :)

• Official General, PkUnzipper and MetalMilitia89 like this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:46 AM

There are plenty of Hollywood types that like to flirt with the criminal world so in that aspect Devin Weston was pretty believable. I sort of like how in V the line between the  criminal and legit world is blurred because life is sort of like that.

Bonnano
  • Bonnano

i hate the mexican that screams "f*ck me in the ass"

• BUSTED!
  • North-Korea

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:57 AM

Oh yeah I also forgot about that glitch in where paramedics instead of healing people would break their designed AI and turn into random civies by going to an ATM and then walking away like if they were never there.  There is also the same two guys in the ambulance who always come to heal the civies no matter what, there is a lack of the black paramedic.

Technically, there IS a black guy's model in the m_y_pmedic file, but the racist  game code won't put him into action for some reason.  :pp

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:05 AM

Yeah I know the black paramedic existed, also the mudman, the train driver, the bus driver and the NOOSE Pilot. However none of 'em are ever put into any section of the game.

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:29 AM

living-breathing-world....  that's just a metaphor, folks....  really.

As is 100% of the cutting edge (aka superficial, unoriginal, cookie cutter) DLC we've had to date......

GTAgamerCR7
  • GTAgamerCR7

Player Hater

• Members
  • El-Salvador

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:29 AM Edited by GTAgamerCR7, 07 March 2014 - 01:29 AM.

I don't agree with that at all. I can somewhat understand Haines' reasons (although I think R* tried a bit too hard to have another Tenpenny-esqe type of antagonist), but Weston? His whole character felt like someone who was bored and wanted to involve himself with criminals such as Michael. It felt very forced and not believable IMO.

Dimitri was a manipulating, deceiving snake who tricked Niko into trusting him, then stabbed him in the back and played cat and mouse games with him. To me that's what makes a great protagonist. Not what they pulled with Weston and Haines.

I mean you say Dimiti's betrayal was a predictable twist, but where's the twist in GTA V? Everything that plays out in GTA V is predictable. We all knew Michael and Trevor would spend most of the game wanting to kill eachother. They even f*cked up on the Brad situation as when you listen to Michael's and Dave's conversation in "By The Book" on their way to Chumush they give a way what happened to him making "Bury The Hatchet" lose its shock value. This all leads to a contrived and rushed ending.

Hell even Devin had a reason to betray Michael becuase he killed his lawyer and Michael interfered in his plans. Dimitri was predictable, like come alone in the call he made, Faustin said it, and him being an bland copy from smoke, that is unoriginal. The amount of killing options of characters also make the game's endings very predictable, at least the endings in V were different but in IV they were the same. The amount of subplots and plotholes in game also hurt the story because many of them were useless and provided repetitive missions.

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:30 AM Edited by PkUnzipper, 07 March 2014 - 01:52 AM.

Rascalov, Bulgarin and Billy Grey are all better antagonists than all 3 GTA V protoags put together, with development. :)

QFT with minor edit :lol:

Yes. 3 protags real time was a revolutionary step in SP gaming of not just the franchise, but the industry in general. But in 100% 20/20 hindsight, GTA V will go down in history for me as living proof that more isn't necessarily better. 

For me, SA, VC and GTA III will always be the superior games for having truly fun sandbox, non-linear, addictive, interactive, and immersive game mechanics.  With SA being the best in terms of the crazy amount of sandbox content that was available across THREE land maps (to include a limited underwater area). 

And if R* continues on the EA Borg trend of pumping out superficial trashy content games---- then GTA IV will probably end up being the last, serious, in depth GTA game for the that era in the franchise.  It will also be the last GTA game which I would ever consider replaying after 3+ years for nostalgia's sake.  Because regardless of what the GTA IV haters have to bitch about IV, it did have it's charms.  The fact that V still lacks a dating game, and other interactive features of SA and IV is incomprehensible to me. 

So despite V having the more detailed, pretty graphics, this has made me feel zero emotional connection to GTA V SP.  And that includes all its protagonists, highly limited & non interactive SP world/environment, and completely non existent storyline.   Unless you consider the heist feature a good substitute for a plot that is. :/

• TheOtherRyan, Tycek, 5.7 and 2 others like this

GTAgamerCR7
  • GTAgamerCR7

Player Hater

• Members
  • El-Salvador

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:48 AM

Rascalov, Bulgarin and Billy Grey are all better antagonists than all 3 GTA V protoags put together, with development. :)

QFT with minor edit :lol:

Yes. 3 protags real time was a revolutionary step in SP gaming of not just the franchise, but the industry in general. But in 100% 20/20 hindsight, GTA V will go down in history for me as living proof that more isn't necessarily better. 

For me, SA, VC and GTA III will always be the superior games for having truly fun sandbox, non-linear, addictive, interactive, and immersive game mechanics.  With SA being the best in terms of the crazy amount of sandbox content that was available across THREE land maps (to include a limited underwater area). 

And if R* continues on the EA Borg trend of pumping out superficial trashy content games---- then GTA IV will probably end up being the last, serious, in depth GTA game for the that era in the franchise.  It will also be the last GTA game which I would ever consider replaying after 3+ years for nostalgia's sake.  Because regardless of what the GTA IV haters have to bitch about IV, it did have it's charms.  The fact that V still lacks a dating game, and other interactive features of SA and IV is incomprehensible to me. 

So despite V having the more detailed, pretty graphics, this has made me feel zero emotional connection to GTA V SP.  And that includes all its protagonists, highly limited & non interactive SP world/environment, and completely non existent storyline.   Unless you consider the heist feature a good substitute for a plot that is. :/

GTA IV is a meh. The plot is overrated and saying Billy grey and Dimitri are better is just a crime.

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

Soviet Connection

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:54 AM Edited by SonOfLiberty, 07 March 2014 - 03:05 AM.

GTA IV is a meh. The plot is overrated and saying Billy grey and Dimitri are better is just a crime.

I'd like to think saying Dimitri and Billy are better is nothing more than an opinion.
  • Luuk' likes this

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

By: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:13 AM

@SoL
but Billy was the Antagonist of TLaD not IV.

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:16 AM Edited by PkUnzipper, 07 March 2014 - 03:21 AM.

I think GTA V might have had a better chance in SP if it could have replicated SA map.  Then put the 3 protags in one of these areas.  For example base:

* Franklin's back story and operations base in LS (based on his implied gang affiliated back ground in SP)

* Trevor's hick back story and drug running operations in LV and the surrounding country areas like Blaine county/Angel Pine etc.

* Micheals more cosmopolitan upscale lifestyle in Vinewood and S.F. areas

Then they should ave at least allowed us to play Micheal and Trevor for longer missions to get to know their back story better (since leaving N. Yankton). And this would've improved Franklin's character a lot better.  Doing this would've allowed you to get to know the protags more personally the way you did with Niko, Tommy, CJ etc. After that, bring them together the way it went down in SP.  That would've made the plot progression feel a lot less rushed and slapped together TBH.   But unfortunately, that would've taken a super computer specs to play. :/

• Official General and Luuk' like this

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

Soviet Connection

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:18 AM Edited by SonOfLiberty, 07 March 2014 - 03:18 AM.

@SoL

What's that got to do with anything though? I think Sonny was a far better antagonist than GTA V's too.

All I was saying is someone saying Dimitri and Billy are better isn't a "crime". It's just an opinion which I happen to agree with.
  • Official General likes this

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

By: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:37 AM

@SoL

What's that got to do with anything though? I think Sonny was a far better antagonist than GTA V's too.

All I was saying is someone saying Dimitri and Billy are better isn't a "crime". It's just an opinion which I happen to agree with.

GTA 5 is my favourite GTA game of all time (maybe 6 will top that) but yeah GTA 4 and TLaD has better antagonists than GTA 5,i will say TLaD 's Billy was the most interesting Antagonist in the Franchise.

El Viruz Ántrax 5-7

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:47 AM Edited by Syphiroth, 07 March 2014 - 03:56 AM.

I think GTA V might have had a better chance in SP if it could have replicated SA map.  Then put the 3 protags in one of these areas.  For example base:

* Franklin's back story and operations base in LS (based on his implied gang affiliated back ground in SP)
* Trevor's hick back story and drug running operations in LV and the surrounding country areas like Blaine county/Angel Pine etc.
* Micheals more cosmopolitan upscale lifestyle in Vinewood and S.F. areas

Then they should ave at least allowed us to play Micheal and Trevor for longer missions to get to know their back story better (since leaving N. Yankton). And this would've improved Franklin's character a lot better.  Doing this would've allowed you to get to know the protags more personally the way you did with Niko, Tommy, CJ etc. After that, bring them together the way it went down in SP.  That would've made the plot progression feel a lot less rushed and slapped together TBH.   But unfortunately, that would've taken a super computer specs to play. :/

Getting to know them better would not make you have a stronger connections or relate to the characters more because as people mention, the city is not alive. You have not options once completed the story to really have the three connection to how the story ends. The cutscene when Michael walks out from having lunch with Solomon and talks to a building and waves while laughing... Makes me cringe at why not just have Solomon out the front and show him leaving? Same dialog can be used still with that and be better then a f*cking character waving and talking to a cheap looking restaurant with standing outside too long a ped calls the cops... Where the f*ck is a connection? It makes you feel like "don't stop here it's bat country" because everyone and everything no matter how innocent you get wanted levels. Might as well stay at Michael house doing yoga! Franklins house smoking bongs and Trevor's strip club watching strippers.. Walk outside and LS PUBLIC ENEMY #1 !!!! Even if Michael a producer and is supposed to be known and just had lunch with Solomon but f*ck like if you stand on that footpath too long you gonna be a wanted man....

See how it has no emotional character relation or city vibe? If it had a REPUTATION bar from your character not returning the atm robbererys and yeah ok, be public enemy number one but when you own businesses, a movie producer, or Kingpin in Sandy shores you have no connection or freedom. Nothing for the three to do or enjoy... If GTAV didn't have the online option and SP was all we got you would see how it disappoints the city-character feel other games of GTA or whatever connected/connect us gamers.

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:48 AM

Little things where they went most of the way but not quite all the way irk me. I guess if you hang around the UCLS campus after dark, the sprinklers come on and water the grass. So I'm like, "Way cool," and I go to play in the sprinklers. But of course they don't get your clothes wet. It's like how could you focus on the detail of making them come on after dark, but forget that the water gets you wet? 

Just lots of little things like that.  

• Mr_Leone and 5.7 like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users