Quantcast

» «
Photo

"Living, breathing world" Not exactly

350 replies to this topic

El Chinx Ántrax is my hero ツ

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:10 AM Edited by Syphiroth, 07 March 2014 - 04:15 AM.

Little things where they went most of the way but not quite all the way irk me. I guess if you hang around the UCLS campus after dark, the sprinklers come on and water the grass. So I'm like, "Way cool," and I go to play in the sprinklers. But of course they don't get your clothes wet. It's like how could you focus on the detail of making them come on after dark, but forget that the water gets you wet? 

Just lots of little things like that.

Yeah, things like that are another factor and you see basketball courts and baseball fields like why not have peds playing on them? And allow you to f*ck it up like shoot or fight and everyone runs screaming some fight back but nope... Empty... Rather be able to play baseball or basketball over yoga and tennis. This game built for my grandpa? What the f*ck, who in the gaming world wants a yoga or tennis activity over baseball or basketball activity? Oh just remembered like you see yoga groups so making some basketball or baseball peds having a game wouldn't been a big task. Just for me as a SP and this my first GTA game I purchased and played because of the hype, trailers and talk that it was a let down... Mafia 2 was similar but a lot for Mafia 2 made up for what was lost or removed on the final game. V, it's truly an online and three character tryout game R* created. So much ocean and highways in V with all leading to the same outcome. Nothing to see, nothing to do, no one to see, no place to visit. No character-city connection and it's why I'm disappointed but I'm not hate the game or think it's a bucket of sh*t, I enjoy making my own activities but sometimes wonder why they didn't add such other details, interiors, interaction and a GOOD-BAD reputation bar. Could have a bad rep in LS and hideout in SS like RDR with America and Mexicao. But meh, just feels pointless the random atm robbers to f*ck my car up or bother helping for $500.00 with no good or bad deed to go along with it..
  • robban likes this

Vec
  • Vec

That tough guy act is ridiculous! >:U

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:18 AM Edited by Vec, 07 March 2014 - 04:19 AM.

Perhaps IV is not a saint, but this stuff happens pretty much exactly the same in V, although security guards do actually fight with the police now. It's just that in IV you actually have a chance of getting away on foot from a two star, whereas in V you get shot down lightning fast by cops with pinpoint precision ;)

Then you are doing it wrong. Half of my stamina bar was raised by running from the cops on foot (And succeded)

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:40 AM Edited by PkUnzipper, 07 March 2014 - 04:40 AM.

I think GTA V might have had a better chance in SP if it could have replicated SA map.  Then put the 3 protags in one of these areas.  For example base:

* Franklin's back story and operations base in LS (based on his implied gang affiliated back ground in SP)
* Trevor's hick back story and drug running operations in LV and the surrounding country areas like Blaine county/Angel Pine etc.
* Micheals more cosmopolitan upscale lifestyle in Vinewood and S.F. areas

Then they should ave at least allowed us to play Micheal and Trevor for longer missions to get to know their back story better (since leaving N. Yankton). And this would've improved Franklin's character a lot better.  Doing this would've allowed you to get to know the protags more personally the way you did with Niko, Tommy, CJ etc. After that, bring them together the way it went down in SP.  That would've made the plot progression feel a lot less rushed and slapped together TBH.   But unfortunately, that would've taken a super computer specs to play. :/

Getting to know them better would not make you have a stronger connections or relate to the characters more because as people mention, the city is not alive. You have not options once completed the story to really have the three connection to how the story ends. The cutscene when Michael walks out from having lunch with Solomon and talks to a building and waves while laughing... Makes me cringe at why not just have Solomon out the front and show him leaving? Same dialog can be used still with that and be better then a f*cking character waving and talking to a cheap looking restaurant with standing outside too long a ped calls the cops... Where the f*ck is a connection? It makes you feel like "don't stop here it's bat country" because everyone and everything no matter how innocent you get wanted levels. Might as well stay at Michael house doing yoga! Franklins house smoking bongs and Trevor's strip club watching strippers.. Walk outside and LS PUBLIC ENEMY #1 !!!! Even if Michael a producer and is supposed to be known and just had lunch with Solomon but f*ck like if you stand on that footpath too long you gonna be a wanted man....

See how it has no emotional character relation or city vibe? If it had a REPUTATION bar from your character not returning the atm robbererys and yeah ok, be public enemy number one but when you own businesses, a movie producer, or Kingpin in Sandy shores you have no connection or freedom. Nothing for the three to do or enjoy... If GTAV didn't have the online option and SP was all we got you would see how it disappoints the city-character feel other games of GTA or whatever connected/connect us gamers.

Note my disclaimer in 1st sentence with "GTA V might have had a better chance...."  :lol:

But yes. You're absolutely correct.  Next to being tortured to ad nausea with the same sound tracks, SA as a whole isn't organic.  The most populated city areas are uninspiring during the day and extremely dead after dark. And that includes the liveliest spot in town a.k.a the tea and crumpet pool party after dark in the back of the Gentry Mansion :lol:  Unfortunately, hookers and the strip joint tend to get old as the two only existing nightlife attractions.  I'm still waiting for my char to get thrown out of a bar by a bouncer btw.  Just like that one NPC did in one of the earlier trailer promo videos. 

Heck I'm willing to bet the most action you'll ever get is back in SP.  Hanging out in your car in Blaine county, Grapeseed, or some off road trail up at Mt. Chiillad.  And being morbidly mesmerized by the roar of a cougar outside your vehicle---as it's predictably being re-spawned in the exact same location by the game every 5-10 mins or so :blink:

• 5.7 likes this

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:40 AM

Little things where they went most of the way but not quite all the way irk me. I guess if you hang around the UCLS campus after dark, the sprinklers come on and water the grass. So I'm like, "Way cool," and I go to play in the sprinklers. But of course they don't get your clothes wet. It's like how could you focus on the detail of making them come on after dark, but forget that the water gets you wet? 

Just lots of little things like that.

Yeah, things like that are another factor and you see basketball courts and baseball fields like why not have peds playing on them? And allow you to f*ck it up like shoot or fight and everyone runs screaming some fight back but nope... Empty... Rather be able to play baseball or basketball over yoga and tennis. This game built for my grandpa? What the f*ck, who in the gaming world wants a yoga or tennis activity over baseball or basketball activity? Oh just remembered like you see yoga groups so making some basketball or baseball peds having a game wouldn't been a big task. Just for me as a SP and this my first GTA game I purchased and played because of the hype, trailers and talk that it was a let down... Mafia 2 was similar but a lot for Mafia 2 made up for what was lost or removed on the final game. V, it's truly an online and three character tryout game R* created. So much ocean and highways in V with all leading to the same outcome. Nothing to see, nothing to do, no one to see, no place to visit. No character-city connection and it's why I'm disappointed but I'm not hate the game or think it's a bucket of sh*t, I enjoy making my own activities but sometimes wonder why they didn't add such other details, interiors, interaction and a GOOD-BAD reputation bar. Could have a bad rep in LS and hideout in SS like RDR with America and Mexicao. But meh, just feels pointless the random atm robbers to f*ck my car up or bother helping for $500.00 with no good or bad deed to go along with it..

I'm reserving a small amount of optimism that those fields and courts means one day we'll get DLC that adds the ability to play basketball and baseball. That'd be very nice as Franklin currently can only really play golf and nothing else. Since he misses out on tennis.

But yeah I agree about the sprinklers. Was really surprised they don't get you wet considering the other places Rockstar makes little details work and not here.

• 5.7 and iainspad like this

Ermac
  • Ermac

oh sh*t it's Joe Budden

• The Yakuza
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:46 AM

I'll tell you one thing, V looked like it had a "living breathing world" in the first trailer. It makes me wonder what happened between then and the second trailer (aka the silence of 2012).

• Official General, FANTOMTRON and SingularSoul like this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

Phill Bellic. The Universal L.E.O.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:29 AM

I'll tell you one thing, V looked like it had a "living breathing world" in the first trailer. It makes me wonder what happened between then and the second trailer (aka the silence of 2012).

My theory is that the developers 'overestimated' the capabilities of the current generation consoles and to make the game stable they had to pare back alot of the scripts for that "Living, breathing world".

Your thoughts? :)

Cheers.

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Scavenger

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:45 AM Edited by SFPD officer, 07 March 2014 - 09:47 AM.

There are plenty of Hollywood types that like to flirt with the criminal world so in that aspect Devin Weston was pretty believable. I sort of like how in V the line between the  criminal and legit world is blurred because life is sort of like that.

I liked Haines and Weston. Haines is basically Tenpenny 2.0, but I found him more interesting and threatening. Haines had more presence in the story and was actually in control of the situation, unlike Tenpenny who was doing nothing but damage control all the time and, despite all Carl's help, he still failed.

Weston is class A pr*ck I wholeheartedly hate, so I guess that worked out right for R*. I just wish they used his character a little bit better. I think assassination missions should have been given by him, instead of Lester. GTA never really dealt with high profile, corporate crime. Why all he wants from protags is to steal some cars? Is he Brucie or Stevie or what? Really, this was a wasted opportunity.

I actually don't think GTA had really good antagonists in the past. Catalina was okay, all Sonny did was to call Tommy a couple of times and then showed up in the final mission, Tenpenny just had Carl clean up his own mess, Big Smoke could have been a great antagonist, but he never really did anything to actively oppose Carl, Torini had a pretty good plan, but he appeared just two times, Martinez was a coward and Mendezes were interesting, but didn't really do anything special.

Out of HD era antags, I actually like Dimitri the least. He was a treacherous rat, but I never felt intimidated by him, maybe only when he kidnapped Roman. He wasn't a worthy enemy to Niko. Bulgarin was, but R* sidelined him to Luis and then cheapened him was adding unnecessary comedic characteristics. Ray was a worthy opponent to Johnny, but again, R* for some reason decided Niko should be the one to deal with him. And I really liked Billy, perhaps he's my favorite antagonist in the entire series. He was a good character, had awesome voice actor and his ideals really messed up Johnny's whole world and ultimately led to his downfall. And Kenny is one of the most underrated characters in the series. He played an excellent backstage scheme that almost worked out for him.

Yeah, I went a little off-topic, but I felt like contributing to this specific debate. Haines and Weston really weren't that bad compared to other GTA antagonists.

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:05 PM Edited by Official General, 07 March 2014 - 10:22 PM.

It's not for me to work out what a good story for GTA would be, that's Rockstar's job. All the previous GTAs had good stories, with Vice City being my favorite, followed by GTA IV and San Andreas. RDR had a good story. Those are ready-made examples right there. Most of GTA V's plot felt like it was to do with that federal agent and government stuff, the bulk of the story seemed to revolve around it, despite the fact that there were other sub-plots in the game that were different in theme. 

Dimitri betrayed Niko because of one simple reason - Dimitri is a scheming, double-crossing, ruthless mob boss who will use and betray anyone if it best served his self-interests. That was enough to wanna badly kill him and really hate him. The key to the success of this here, is that Rockstar stuck to a simple script and theme that is typical of GTA, they just added a new twist and flavor to it, by making the antagonist a Russian mob boss. 

Just because he is a Russian he is good and that's a new flavor? you got to give more facts of why he is good. His betrayal was predictable, Faustin even said it, and when he told you to go to the factory he told you to come alone. what kind of twist is this, this was just predictable.

He literally out of nowhere became powerful and what he did with that power is just kidnap Roman who is a completely useless character and mock a homo and what was the point of him killing pegorino in the end and killing Roman, it wasn't going help him increased his power, to me this was just lazy plot writing. Now look at Big Smoke how did he become powerful? he dealt with Tenpenny and got into the drug business, also you could actually see him importing and exporting from and in Los Santos. Did I see that from Dimitri. No I didn't. Him killing the surrounding people later got old. They also pasted his disappearance throughout the story from Big Smoke which shows no originality.

Also what I make fun of is the fact that they introduced Bulgarin as this big man who was part of Niko's past but he didn't served no purpose in the story.However, unlike Rascalov he had a reason to betray Luis and he was also menacing and not a coward like Dimitri. Hell the diamond and the heroin were overused lackluster plots that ended in incoherent and lackluster endings. Working for the pegorinos was useless as well.

They could use a Hispanic mob boss as an antagonist but I could care less. I care more about the execution.

Son Of Liberty and I already explained to you what made Dimirit a very good antagonist, we more or less said the same thing. I only added the fact that he was Russian because he was GTA's first real signficant Russian mob character and that added new flavor to it. If you don't agree with our reasons then fine. But I know I hated Dimitri so much and so badly wanted to kill him, and the reasons I gave is what I believe made him a good antagonist. There was nothing about Steve Haines that really made me hate him so much, all he really did bully or blackmail us into doing boring jobs for the FIB without getting paid well, and to kill some targets. Devin Weston was not much of a reason to hate an antagonist either - all he did was give us jobs to steal luxury cars and mess us around by not paying us. The two antagonists I just mentioned in GTA V were just not convincing enough, it was like I had to force myself to wanna kill them, and in the end I did not choose that ending to do that. 

You obviously did not follow the GTA IV story properly. You're forgetting that Dimitri was already second in command to Faustin in their criminal organization, so therefore he was already powerful. Faustin even comments to Niko in a drunken state that he and Dimitri built their criminal organization together. Dimitri simply took over what Faustin left behind after getting Niko to kill him, hence why he became a powerful mob boss straight away. 

Don't you see it's his cowardice that makes Dimitri such a good antagonist ? Yeah you are right - Dimitri is a coward, but he is still a murderous, evil guy who uses his cunning and deceptive ways to achieve his ambitions. That's why he's so hated, he's a coward who hides behind the curtains but still wants people to do his dirty work and then backstabs and betrays them at the same time. If you don't get that, then I feel sorry that your experience with IV's story was not as great as mine. 

• TheOtherRyan and 5.7 like this

THE_TREVALEV
  • THE_TREVALEV

they eat da poo poo

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:27 PM

Let's take a moment to acknowledge the video game's most sh*ttiest ending: by casually going up to another protagonist's enemy and killing them. No conflict. No emotional argument. No fight. Just "pow" and that's it. It's a shame that we'll have to wait 4+ years just to see if they learned their mistakes. Eh, here's to hoping that they'll create a new open world franchise that brings a powerful story and awesome gameplay as one.

ShinobiFixer
  • ShinobiFixer

way of the snake

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:01 PM

They sacrificed all the good for graphics, unnecessary features and a huge empty map.

R* is out of touch, they are just mere mortals and just ran with the worst ideas.  It used to simulate crime, now it simulates fellatio.

• Official General, Bonnano and robban like this

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:49 AM Edited by SonOfLiberty, 08 March 2014 - 01:50 AM.

Son Of Liberty and I already explained to you what made Dimirit a very good antagonist, we more or less said the same thing. I only added the fact that he was Russian because he was GTA's first real signficant Russian mob character and that added new flavor to it. If you don't agree with our reasons then fine. But I know I hated Dimitri so much and so badly wanted to kill him, and the reasons I gave is what I believe made him a good antagonist. There was nothing about Steve Haines that really made me hate him so much, all he really did bully or blackmail us into doing boring jobs for the FIB without getting paid well, and to kill some targets. Devin Weston was not much of a reason to hate an antagonist either - all he did was give us jobs to steal luxury cars and mess us around by not paying us. The two antagonists I just mentioned in GTA V were just not convincing enough, it was like I had to force myself to wanna kill them, and in the end I did not choose that ending to do that. 

You obviously did not follow the GTA IV story properly. You're forgetting that Dimitri was already second in command to Faustin in their criminal organization, so therefore he was already powerful. Faustin even comments to Niko in a drunken state that he and Dimitri built their criminal organization together. Dimitri simply took over what Faustin left behind after getting Niko to kill him, hence why he became a powerful mob boss straight away. 

Don't you see it's his cowardice that makes Dimitri such a good antagonist ? Yeah you are right - Dimitri is a coward, but he is still a murderous, evil guy who uses his cunning and deceptive ways to achieve his ambitions. That's why he's so hated, he's a coward who hides behind the curtains but still wants people to do his dirty work and then backstabs and betrays them at the same time. If you don't get that, then I feel sorry that your experience with IV's story was not as great as mine. 

Hit the nail on the head. Sure Weston and Haines were douchebags, but I never felt either of them were "antagonistic". During my first save of GTA V I wasn't even sure if they were the antagonists because of how poorly they were implemented, but to honest most characters in GTA V seem to suffer the same thing. R* really lost their way in that regard IMO.

Dimitri's taunting/mocking phonecalls made my blood boil more than anything Weston and/or Haines done. I think the difficulty with GTA V is it has two main antagonists for three protagonists so it's hard to get a sort of "despising" feeling that you normally would with a traditional singular protagonist.

I don't see anything wrong with people preferring Weston and Haines. Different strokes for different folks, but there's a reason the consensus since GTA V released why Weston and Haines are weak with most fans.

• Official General and BlackNoise like this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:48 AM Edited by Official General, 08 March 2014 - 03:20 PM.

Hit the nail on the head. Sure Weston and Haines were douchebags, but I never felt either of them were "antagonistic". During my first save of GTA V I wasn't even sure if they were the antagonists because of how poorly they were implemented, but to honest most characters in GTA V seem to suffer the same thing. R* really lost their way in that regard IMO.

Dimitri's taunting/mocking phonecalls made my blood boil more than anything Weston and/or Haines done. I think the difficulty with GTA V is it has two main antagonists for three protagonists so it's hard to get a sort of "despising" feeling that you normally would with a traditional singular protagonist.

I don't see anything wrong with people preferring Weston and Haines. Different strokes for different folks, but there's a reason the consensus since GTA V released why Weston and Haines are weak with most fans.

The same here. I never even realized that Steve Haines and Devin Weston were antagonists in the first place - I only realized that they were antagonists right at the final part of the game where you have to choose one of three endings ! That just shows how poorly implemented their characters had been in the game, from my viewpoint anyway. At the early part of the game, I always believed Madrazo was gonna somehow emerge as the main antagonist, but when I saw the stupid manner in which Rockstar used him, I was not so sure of who the antagonist was gonna be. But Haines and Weston ? I was totally stumped to find out that they were the main antagonists all along. 

Man, me and you both. Dimitri's mocking and taunting phone calls to Niko got me so mad. I remember thinking, "this guy tricks me into killing his boss who was actually a loyal guy who had no real reason to die, then he betrays me, stabs me in the back and then tries to kill me !! And he has the audacity to keep calling me on my phone to rub it in my face !!?? ". Every time I forgot about him for a bit, he'd phone and I'd get angry again, badly wanting to find out where he is. Just to make a point, I'd go to Hove Beach and shoot up the place, blasting at Russian gangsters. The guy made me that mad lol. When I finally killed him I shot him like 15 times in his head, even after he was dead. That's what makes a great GTA antagonist, one like Dimitri that can evoke those reactions.  

I also remember getting similar feelings with Sonny Forelli in VC and Officer Tenpenny and Big Smoke in SA. Forelli had me angry because he corrupted Tommy's good friend and ally Lance to betray him, and then he tries to take over Tommy's criminal empire that he built in VC from scratch after serving 15 years in prison for his crime family. What ungrateful b*stard Forelli was, and yet he still tries to kill Tommy and take his wealth. Officer Tenpenny, along with Pulaski got me mad and bitter from his intense bullying and blackmail of CJ, and Big Smoke was supposed to CJ's very close friend and mentor, but he betrays the whole gang and CJ and tries to have him killed. Big Smoke not only left me angry, but disappointed, because he smiled with CJ and acted like he and CJ were really cool homies. GTA V's antagonists did not provide the same kind of impetus to hate them so much. 

• TheOtherRyan, BlackNoise, Ermac and 2 others like this

TheDeaconBosco
  • TheDeaconBosco

A car so nice, they've named it twice

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:39 AM

I think that the reason as to why Haines and Weston aren't as good of an antagonist material as what we were accustomed was because of a flagrant lack of direction, like the writing team didn't decide what personality to give them... If you've actually watched the Underbelly of Paradise, you know that Haines is made to look like a total joke by the now infamous "Steve f*ckin' Haines" lines, I mean go back and watch his face right after that line, he looked like a sad little puppy for God's sake. And that's the same character who later threatens Mike by choking him with one hand in "Three's Company", I mean come on, Mike would have easily overpowered this guy with twigs for arms and yet he doesn't because the writers said so. If they've tried to give him a bipolar personality, they've failed spectacularly at it, at no point did I feel threatened or angered by Steve like I was with Tenpenny, Dimitri or Martinez. I mean it's like having Mori Kibbutz or Yusuf Amir as TBOGT's antagonists, they are just not good enough material for it seeing as the reason as to why they irritate the player is merely superficial rather than personal.

Same problem with Weston he has the same douchebag character, but at least he doesn't pull the threat card which at least makes him more... Less unbelievable (SPOILER: Not f*cking quite) for lack of a better term. But his reason to be an antagonist is actually even more ludicrous, he sends us on quite frankly dull missions to get him some prized cars and doesn't pay us for it? I was just glad the fetch quest was over. And then he tries to ruin the movie that Micheal (actually didn't contribute to directly in the slightest but regardless the writers want to make us feel like he) wrote, directed and realized himself, causing Mike to go crazy go nuts and chase his f*cking lawyer in a race in the airport with many explosions (obviously to divert our attention from the shallowness of the situation) and witness her getting turned into ground meat. Weston thus does the only logical thing a man like him would do in such a situation and decides to sue Micheal for breach of contract and accessory to murder, but realizes it's a GTA game and so changes his mind and decides to have a private army try to kill his family, well... That escalated quickly.

I swear that when I was starting to write this comment it wasn't meant to be rant but when I remembered about Weston, all of the anger I've felt and buried during his part of the story resurged in the open and had to be expressed. It seems it got a free pass from most people on the forums for some reason. 

• TheOtherRyan, Tycek, Official General and 5 others like this

BlackNoise
  • BlackNoise

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:55 AM

I had high hopes for GTAO, but I'm starting to think as long as the online component is R*'s main focus, the rest of the game will have much less depth than we expect it to have. I really hope they have two completely separate teams next time. One for SP and one for MP. 

Is there any game that does both SP and MP right? It always seems like one mode is less refined than the other, or both fail to deliver. R* wanted to develop a huge SP experience and their goal with GTAO was to make it the most revolutionary MP ever. They bit off way more than they could chew, and both modes suffered IMO.

• robban likes this

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Scavenger

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:41 PM Edited by SFPD officer, 08 March 2014 - 12:41 PM.

I think that the reason as to why Haines and Weston aren't as good of an antagonist material as what we were accustomed was because of a flagrant lack of direction, like the writing team didn't decide what personality to give them... If you've actually watched the Underbelly of Paradise, you know that Haines is made to look like a total joke by the now infamous "Steve f*ckin' Haines" lines, I mean go back and watch his face right after that line, he looked like a sad little puppy for God's sake. And that's the same character who later threatens Mike by choking him with one hand in "Three's Company", I mean come on, Mike would have easily overpowered this guy with twigs for arms and yet he doesn't because the writers said so. If they've tried to give him a bipolar personality, they've failed spectacularly at it, at no point did I feel threatened or angered by Steve like I was with Tenpenny, Dimitri or Martinez. I mean it's like having Mori Kibbutz or Yusuf Amir as TBOGT's antagonists, they are just not good enough material for it seeing as the reason as to why they irritate the player is merely superficial rather than personal.

Same problem with Weston he has the same douchebag character, but at least he doesn't pull the threat card which at least makes him more... Less unbelievable (SPOILER: Not f*cking quite) for lack of a better term. But his reason to be an antagonist is actually even more ludicrous, he sends us on quite frankly dull missions to get him some prized cars and doesn't pay us for it? I was just glad the fetch quest was over. And then he tries to ruin the movie that Micheal (actually didn't contribute to directly in the slightest but regardless the writers want to make us feel like he) wrote, directed and realized himself, causing Mike to go crazy go nuts and chase his f*cking lawyer in a race in the airport with many explosions (obviously to divert our attention from the shallowness of the situation) and witness her getting turned into ground meat. Weston thus does the only logical thing a man like him would do in such a situation and decides to sue Micheal for breach of contract and accessory to murder, but realizes it's a GTA game and so changes his mind and decides to have a private army try to kill his family, well... That escalated quickly.

I swear that when I was starting to write this comment it wasn't meant to be rant but when I remembered about Weston, all of the anger I've felt and buried during his part of the story resurged in the open and had to be expressed. It seems it got a free pass from most people on the forums for some reason. 

Good points.

Like I said, I liked both Weston and Haines, but R* could have used them much better. Once again, R*'s attempts at making everything funny and lightheated cheapened both characters. The "Manny Escuela" side of Haines' personality was completely unnecessary. Haines that appears in the story and Haines in the game as a whole feel like two different characters. But I still think he did the "corrupt lawman who blackmails the protagonist" thing much better than Tenpenny or Francis McReary.

Weston could have been the ultimate challenge for the protags. For the first time in the series, this was an antagonist who wasn't some mob boss or corrupt cop. What would M, T, and F do, if they faced an enemy they couldn't just straight up murder and get away with it? What if Weston didn't just send Merryweather after Mike, but instead used his connections in politics, law enforcement and incredible wealth to destroy his, and then Franklin's and Trevor's lives, if they sided with him? What if, like you said, he sued Michael and Solomon into the oblivion, destroying life Michael really wanted to live when he made the deal with FIB all those years ago? What if he funded and supported the Triads and the Lost in their war against TPE? Or had the cops finally arrest Trevor? What if he dug up some dirt on Franklin so he'd lose his fancy Vinewood mansion and would have to go back to his old hood, forcing him to fight not only Ballas, but also the Families after he alientated Stretch? With so much wealth and connections, the protags should have been afraid to death of sh*tstorm Weston would be able to bring upon them. Remember Luis talking about Bulgarin with Tony and Yusuf after Bulgarin turned against him? Weston could have played a similar role.

• TheDeaconBosco likes this

GtaivCop
  • GtaivCop

Crackhead

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:35 AM

I like the fact that the security guards in IV was so bumbling and could fight with the cops. I want to be in a world where I can say "what if" and make different NPC's fight. Getting 10 security guards in a shootout with 20 cops at the airport is fun. I don't know why they teamed up security and the cops in V that sucked.

Peck R. Wood
  • Peck R. Wood

rural crime lord & pastor

• Members

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:46 AM

shockingly enough

for the very first time I do not care if GTA 6 will be out in 3, 5 or 7 years

Razed-
  • Razed-

aka DarkRebirth

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:06 AM Edited by Darkrebirth, 09 March 2014 - 06:08 AM.

In V you can't even shoot peds in the leg to see them limp.

In V if you walk up to a group of pedestrians then they get scared and start walking away really fast, even though you didn't do anything.

I can't roleplay as much as I'd like in GTAV. I hope the devs learn from their mistakes when making the next GTA installment. I'm not going to be as excited as I was for the next GTA like I was excited for GTAV. These days the open-world genre is becoming increasingly popular with games like Watch_Dogs, Infamous: Second Son, Sleeping Dogs etc. and I am sure there are other companies creating their own unannounced open-world games. It doesn't hurt to take notes from others and I think that Rockstar can learn a thing or two.

• MGT86, Bonnano and 5.7 like this

iainspad
  • iainspad

Souled Out to The New World Order

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:24 AM Edited by iainspad, 09 March 2014 - 06:25 AM.

As a person who never played Red Dead Redemption, I found the Random Events adding to the 'Living, Breathing World', and makes it so. I mean yeah it's scripted to only happen to certain people and some of them to only happen once if you accomplished the (one of of the few) objectives for it, but for me it would make no sense for the same event to happen twice or more when that person already went through it. The whole 'Ni—um...Bastard stole my bike' is liable to be repetitive but the more elaborate events aren't, because for Michael to come across the same ambush over and over on the same spot would just make him out to be a moron who is just asking for it.

I will say, they could have added more, but when you see the more random things like the Thelma and Louise reference it does make it a believable gaming world. When I started this game back in October, I noticed the little details right away, and I loved it. Like just standing around the Cluckin' Bell factory smoking area and suddenly they threaten to call the police on you, or just standing too close to members of the biker gang for no reason which then leads to them to chase your ass. I will say, being my first HD GTA, I was immersed, and it made me believe anything can happen in this game. In my opinion, it lived up to Rockstar's claims but maybe that's because it exceeded my expectations.

Part of me believes that first trailer is more representative for the new console generation than the previous; so there's a big part of me believing there will be a next-gen release and we'll see even more details and not a straight up port.

iainspad
  • iainspad

Souled Out to The New World Order

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:31 AM Edited by iainspad, 09 March 2014 - 06:43 AM.

Yeah, I went a little off-topic, but I felt like contributing to this specific debate. Haines and Weston really weren't that bad compared to other GTA antagonists.

I felt that Weston was underutilized, but he is the real big bad in my opinion. Haines was a pretentious, obnoxious and god-fuelled pain in the ass, yet his presence is more felt in the story, while Weston's is subtle. Possibly the feeling R* were going for? I say this because it feels like Weston and his influence, with his interest in many businesses, stocks, and control over major players because of his money, is all around you, but you fail to realise it, which makes him the biggest bad from his influence over the world of San Andreas.

This easily makes him and his associates the so-called 'Illuminati', to which the game carries an anti-Illuminati message. To me the story tells that the Illuminati isn't exactly the government or what the skeptics believe, but the people who control you are a lot closer to home than you think, and yet, you don't realise their influence over you.

I had high hopes for GTAO, but I'm starting to think as long as the online component is R*'s main focus, the rest of the game will have much less depth than we expect it to have. I really hope they have two completely separate teams next time. One for SP and one for MP. 

Is there any game that does both SP and MP right? It always seems like one mode is less refined than the other, or both fail to deliver. R* wanted to develop a huge SP experience and their goal with GTAO was to make it the most revolutionary MP ever. They bit off way more than they could chew, and both modes suffered IMO.

It seems there's more Online focus right now, but there looks to be an SP DLC. I'm hoping there will be more events and random stuff as well as missions, but part of me believes there could be more focus on adding more locations to San Andreas, if The Benz and Rockstar North's ambitions are anything to go by.

I'm actually playing through the Single Player again and while I am going through it faster than the first time, I'm actually enjoying seeing the depth and detail again. It's certainly got more detail than GTAO, by a long shot, and it's why I still play it as well as the different directions in Heists and events.
  • HaythamKenway and strakan7 like this

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:35 PM

I don't want to come off too harsh because this really is a beautiful game that I enjoyed. But I really do hope they learn from their mistakes and correct them in the future, if not in patches and dlc then in the next game. Hopefully the pc port and the modding community fix whatever else needs fixing.

The Quench
  • The Quench

'SEVEN1FO'

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:16 AM Edited by SEVEN1FO, 11 March 2014 - 01:19 AM.

Flipping through many threads (I chose this one) I seem to always come to the same conclusion. Whether it be a thread about radio stations, the story, character-depth, the 'living-breathing world', the vehicles, the cops, etc: 

SA simply wasn't large enough for what R* was intending to do/achieve with three protagonists. 

Would have adding LV & SF helped? Are they saving these for a future DLC? I personally don't know, but at the end of every thread I always feel the same way about every aspect of V: wasted potential. I still play/somewhat enjoy V but I always wonder how I played so many hours with IV (for ~6 years) without half of the features that V has.  :monocle:

/2¢

• Official General likes this

Classiccarman2
  • Classiccarman2

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:07 AM

I have found this way to continually rob an Ammunation store.

1.Use a silenced shotgun so you don't attract police attention and blast the doors open.

2.Then shoot the guy behind the counter. It will say" Ammunation is closed , please return later"  

3.Shoot both tills and grab the money sacks.

4.Walk out of the store,

5.Turn around and walk back towards the store. You should hear a re-spawning noise.

6. When you get back in the store the money sacks are there again to take, along with the dead dude behind the counter.

You can repeat this as many times as you want but you only get about $200 each time so a slow way to build up cash ! :cry:

It works in Liquor stores but not supermarkets as they close after you have robbed them.

Not tried it online yet.

Epic.
  • Epic.

Outlaws to the End

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:11 AM

Sometimes I walk around populated area's as certain characters for example

I walk around Rockford Hills as Michael (or any north los santos area's for that matters)

For Franklin I walk around South Los Santos.

And for Trevor anywhere in Blaine County.

I get immersed in the game so easily.

Online feels empty.

Dr. Robotnik
  • Dr. Robotnik

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:06 AM Edited by Dr. Robotnik, 23 May 2014 - 09:08 AM.

Like I said, I liked both Weston and Haines, but R* could have used them much better. Once again, R*'s attempts at making everything funny and lightheated cheapened both characters. The "Manny Escuela" side of Haines' personality was completely unnecessary. Haines that appears in the story and Haines in the game as a whole feel like two different characters. 

This. They should've played up Haines' intimidating, antisocial aspects like they did in "Three's Company" and "By the Book", and made him more of a counterpart to Trevor in the same way Dave Norton worked with and against Michael. Instead of letting Kerimov go for no real reason, Trevor should've been bantering with Haines on how to torture him.

jondean31
  • jondean31

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 May 2014 - 06:53 PM

This thread is so wrong and whoever wrote it is obviously playing a different game to me tbh

bish0p2004
  • bish0p2004

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 24 May 2014 - 01:19 AM

PkUnzipper I think the problem is (and I've said it before) that big companies are too fixated on games = Hollywood. That they want their games to be like movies, they are getting more and more linear. Comare the freedom in games 5 years ago with now, there's definitely less depeding on where you look.

You could for instance completely take out the free roaming from GTA and it'd look and sound like a bad movie. I don't understand the obsession that some game devs and publishers of trying to emulate Hollywood where it's sequels ad rehashed films every few years

You know what? I've said this plenty of times as well when I used to visit this site after the game was released.

GTA is becoming really linear in many ways and less of a sandbox. I mean, you can't even do all of the activities with each protagonist because it doesn't fit Rockstars idea of what that character should do (I.e. Franklin playing tennis). They did great with RDR...that was a true sandbox game, but GTA IV and V are taking a more linear approach.

I guarantee you that if we had a bomb suit for a mission in SA, we would have been able to put a cheat code in to use it in free roam. They majorly screwed up the free roam in V in my opinion. There was too much focus on scripted things like Strangers missions and scripted random events , which should have been scrapped for real random things that make the world seem more alive.
  • flyus747, Official General, Choco Taco and 1 other like this

GtaivCop
  • GtaivCop

Crackhead

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:16 AM

Officer Ronson:

The security guards programming will fight the cops instead of help in them

Seriously? That's one of the best things about IV. That different gangs and gun shop owners and guards are all programmed different to attack each other as well as the player. Everyone in the city is in it for themselves. Haven't you ever had an epic shootout at the airport between the dozens of security guards and dozens of cops? It's awesome.

Have you ever done the vigilantes cop missions? If you do it right on Albany ave/ Emerald st near Chinatown and the gun shop you can provoke a 6 way shoot out:

Gang from cop car

Triads roaming the st

Gun shop owners with his backup

Niko

Cops

Security guard

All trying to kill each other at the same time and the same place. It's incredibly fun.

V was severely lacking in this department and the fact that security guards team up with Cops and gun shop owners don't run after you and gangs don't come into contact that often made the free roam fun factor less appealing.

That was one of the big let down's in V.

• Official General and theGTAking101 like this

flyus747
  • flyus747

Snitch

• Members

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:34 AM

I totally agree with darl3ad3rs point that GTA Vs free roam is dead. Several of you others have many good points especially noting the variety in the people in GTA V (people riding bikes, jet skis, bikers head out in packs, etc.....) Do all sorts of stuff but I've noticed its always in the SAME places or within 10 ft of the previous time it really frustrates me. If any of you have seen Truman Show, then you'll remember the part where Truman points out the PATTERN in the traffic. What I'm saying is that GTA V has a huge variety of patterns not randomness. I fly planes a lot and I've noticed they always follow the same flight paths and always spawn in the same spot whenever I fly within proximity of the area. Let me continue my rant by pointing out the failed emergency services of GTA V. Back in the 3D universe, you couldn't call the emergency services but whenever u killed a pedestrian the ambulance would arrive on scene and revive them! Sounds ridiculous realistically but its a game and we can understand how doing this saves the developers lots of time from animating a real crime scene. In GTA V, the ambulance simply comes and checks the guy out and then leave him there, other times it gets even worse, they simply drive past you, like WTF R*.

I look forward to seeing those dynamic pedestrians with DEPTH and CHARACTER.
  • Cutter De Blanc, theGTAking101, DaRkL3AD3R and 1 other like this

Ben73
  • Ben73

Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:35 AM

Well OP I have seen random police shoot outs in V.

Also many ambos rocking up.

So according to you the only thing missing is a random drug deal.

K

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users