Quantcast

» «
Photo

Single Channel RAM, should have Dual Channel?

4 replies to this topic
BarelyLegal
  • BarelyLegal

You're a cünt.

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:03 PM

Hey guys, I've got two 4GB DDR3 RAM sticks, equating to 8GB in total. I downloaded CPU-Z and I'm told my Channel # is 'Single', but apparently it should be Dual.

How would I go about changing it from Single to Dual? Also, the DRAM frequency is 668.5MHz, is that okay?

I've had a quick look online and some people say to physically move your RAM to the first two slots in your motherboard. Problem is, my CPU fan is so big that it is physically blocking the first two slots. Any workarounds?

Thanks in advance!

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:22 PM

Let me start by saying that you're not really going to see a big difference between running your RAM in dual channel vs single channel modes. Sure you can see it in benchmark tools but in real world there's very little difference.

That said, if you want it to run dual channel mode, RTFM (Read The Freakin' Manual). Every motherboard manual will explain and some will even have a table that explains which slots you put the RAM sticks into to get dual channel.

Some people will say that the slots are paired by color, meaning that if you put sticks in slots of the same color then it'll run dual channel. But since that's not always the case; RTFM. Even if you buy the same brand of motherboard for every build and it just so happens that the same color slots are the dual channel slots, I would still say RTFM just in case someone stuck a wild hair up their butt and changed it.

BarelyLegal
  • BarelyLegal

You're a cünt.

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:40 PM

Christ, I haven't seen the manual in.. ever? 

Would it have an impact on my frame-rates?

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:19 AM

Barely, if any. Nevertless, it would be a good idea to enable Dual Channel.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:58 PM

If it affected anything it would be the load time but again we're talking minor differences.

If you know the motherboard make and model, Google it. If you don't then use CPU-Z and it should be able to tell what it is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users