Batman: Arkham Knight

217 replies to this topic
Osho
  • Osho

The Jackal

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:04 PM

Rocksteady is emphasising the detail is more important than the scale of the world. They don't want to create the biggest open-world, they want to create the richest, densest and most vibrant

Also, 

Each villain has his/her own mission in the city and it's intended to spread Batman thin

Riots can feature up to 50 characters destroying things

All of the game's cutscenes take place in-engine, there are no pre-rendered cinematics. They are seamlessly integrated.

Batman can glide through glass surfaces

Hazards in the environment such as power generators can be mixed into combat

Riddler has a plan for Batman and the city too, beyond testing his skills

and, saving the best for last, Batmobile!!!

Awesome, that's enough for me to pick this game for PC when it arrives. :)

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:27 PM

I ain't the graphics guy, but f*ck me. From all the info I've heard, I think this will be the best-looking next-gen game in the near future. I mean, when the Batmobile, a car in the game (sure, it will be a major feature, but model-wise speaking), will have such a size that an XBOX 360 (the 360 isn't a strong piece of hardware, but still) will be at it's limits... just, f*ck! I'm so hyped for this game! I'm calling it now; Game Of The Year - 2014.

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

I play both sides of the fence

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:58 PM

Okay the trailer that is on the Xbox One home screen is badas* for this title. I wasn't that interested until I saw it. I have to have now. Good trailer. Also reserved already.

• Th3MaN1 likes this

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:56 PM

The only thing I don't like from the details so far is that they didn't hire a writer. The stories of the first two games were superb due to a writer who knows how to write for Batman, in Paul Dini. Arkham Origins suffered for the same reason.

OnceAgainYoungFitzpatrick
  • OnceAgainYoungFitzpatrick

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:11 PM

I was hoping to see this at the end of the trailer, "This trailer was made from entirely in-game footage". :(

The only thing I don't like from the details so far is that they didn't hire a writer. The stories of the first two games were superb due to a writer who knows how to write for Batman, in Paul Dini. Arkham Origins suffered for the same reason.

Yep.

"Paul Dini will not be involved in writing the story for Batman: Arkham Knight, according to Game Informer.

Dini wrote the story for Batman: Arkham Asylum and co-wrote Batman: Arkham City. He’s also a fan favorite Batman writer from his time working on Batman: The Animated Series and a run on Detective Comics.

Instead, series game director Sefton Hill, who co-wrote Arkham City, will lead an in-house writing team. The team will continue to consult DC Comics Chief-Creative Officer Geoff Johns throughout the writing process."

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

I play both sides of the fence

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:34 PM

I ain't the graphics guy, but f*ck me. From all the info I've heard, I think this will be the best-looking next-gen game in the near future. I mean, when the Batmobile, a car in the game (sure, it will be a major feature, but model-wise speaking), will have such a size that an XBOX 360 (the 360 isn't a strong piece of hardware, but still) will be at it's limits... just, f*ck! I'm so hyped for this game! I'm calling it now; Game Of The Year - 2014.

You may be right. With the lineup of games they have, taking in all the accounts of issues they have with so many MP games now. Batman may be it.

• Th3MaN1 likes this

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:32 PM

tumblr_mxvowhdlvg1r04s8fo1_500.jpg

Sometimes, I wonder why these people....specifcally illiterate people were born. Their stupidity is over 9000!

He's not stupid.

He debunked Batman!

• FranklinDeRoosevelt likes this

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:13 AM

I feel like rocksteady should start making animated movies, the trailer looks amazing, I wonder what the actual game will look like. 

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:27 AM Edited by Xerukal, 17 March 2014 - 10:15 AM.

I'm really glad Rocksteady is coming back. Nobody can do Batman like them. I kind of liked Origins, but not in nearly the same way as I liked Asylum and City.  

Rocksteady has the deepest respect for the character and universe. the "detail above scale" approach is the reason Arkham Asylum and Arkham City were so successful with Batman fans. Origins really didn't have any of that. 

EDIT: Just noticed the Steam Store page is up..

http://store.steampo...com/app/208650/

Regardless, 14th October is a nice date. Can't wait!

• Th3MaN1 likes this

Lelouch vi Britannia
  • Lelouch vi Britannia

Zero

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:58 AM

Too bad it won't be on Last Gen consoles. I'm really really broke, so I don't have the money to fetch out a PS4 to buy this game, and I wouldn't buy it just for one game either. I'll just probably watch Let's Plays of it on YouTube when it comes out, that's good enough for me.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:20 AM

I feel like rocksteady should start making animated movies, the trailer looks amazing, I wonder what the actual game will look like. 

They don't actually make the trailers. They're made by a third party visual effects company. I believe the same company made trailers for Star Wars: The Old Republic, the Assassin's Creed series, and Arkham City.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:43 PM

Double post, but with some cool pictures... http://imgur.com/a/5Ly9v

I don't like the suit.  It's too armored looking, the "ears" are too far back on the head, like it's the smaller Nolan Bat-cowl, but they're longer.  I'd prefer if they were smaller and more forward (as in more centered in his profile).  Other than that, it's a good cross between Origins and the first two games.

FCBOhnQ.jpg

Look at this picture, down around the "G" in "Gameinformer...

v3a7tc6.jpgCould be a stunt jump for the Batmobile.

At first I thought the tower in the center of the screen was of Wonder Tower, or at least what's left of it.  But when you look at the surrounding landscape, it's not quite the same area.  So either it's Wonder Tower, and they rebuilt the area around where Arkham City was, or it's just not Wonder Tower.

Yp79hyU.jpg

Batmobile, Batman looking cool, and yes that's rain...

F4B7tEk.jpg

Good look at the Batmobile...

ItjOs3A.jpg

Pumpkin neon light.  Could be either a base for Scarecrow, or a hint that it's Halloween time in Gotham City (I haven't read this article so I have no clue as to much of the setting of this game, so correct me if I'm wrong)...

x1hjP75.jpg

Riddler's trademark green paint.  Hinting that we will be bringing the Batmobile into his riddles and traps...

UgbEs13.jpg

Babs gets an on screen appearance as Oracle...

Yr5M459.jpg

Once again, not sure of the timeline that this game takes place, but notice how Two-Face doesn't have a scar on his face from when Catwoman "scratches" him in Arkham City?  Could be that it just healed really well.  But also, Commisioner Gordon doesn't look as old as he does in Arkham Asylum.  Maybe Batman's suit is still big and bulky because the game takes place before the Asylum...

7VVD6Ul.jpg

n7detYU.jpg

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:51 PM

Would be nice to see a Batman game finally not take place during the Winter and snow somehow falling non-stop. So, a big rain storm at night time would be a nice breath of fresh air. A dynamic weather system would be even cooler, but I doubt they will have it. I like Batman's suit. Yeah, it does look pretty armored looking, but when you're going to take on numerous dangerous villains, you have to come prepared.

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

The fall is FAST and STEEP

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:18 PM

tumblr_mxitlotK7o1sd9ampo3_400.gif
  • Th3MaN1 likes this

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:29 PM

Would be nice to see a Batman game finally not take place during the Winter and snow somehow falling non-stop. So, a big rain storm at night time would be a nice breath of fresh air. A dynamic weather system would be even cooler, but I doubt they will have it. I like Batman's suit. Yeah, it does look pretty armored looking, but when you're going to take on numerous dangerous villains, you have to come prepared.

I think it's just a matter of taste.  In the comics, Batman generally doesn't have a suit that looks like full body armor.  It looks like tights, and in the New 52 it looks a lot like what the first two games were like.  The way I see it, it's like that because Batman is fast enough to evade gunman, and take out someone with a blade before he gets cut.  But in the movies, he looks a lot more armored, like a robot ninja, because that's more believable.  I prefer the comic look.

• Majestic81 likes this

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:11 PM

If I remember correctly from some of the info, you start off in your default Arkham Asylum suit. And later on you receive upgrades. If those upgrades turn out to be optional, simply don't add any armor to it if you don't like it. That will also adds to the challenge. Personally, I love the suit.

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

The fall is FAST and STEEP

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:13 PM

I'm pretty sure the armor is pretty much Batman "going to war", like his finale stand off with everyone.

kipakolonyasi
  • kipakolonyasi

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:31 AM

i heard this game is going to be next gen only. ballsy move by wb.

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:55 AM

I have nothing against the Nolan trilogy, I actually enjoyed it. But I think a Batman movie would be perfect if done like the Arkham series.

• HaythamKenway and CatDog96 like this

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:44 PM

How? You think this game would be as good on last gen consoles? The graphics would be HEAVILY downgraded, and a lot of things would be cut out. So no, we already have 3 f*cking batman games on the last gen, no need to ruin the potential of the new one. It's time to move on you cheapskate.

And this is made by Rocksteady too, so expect this to suprass AK and AC by miles.

kipakolonyasi
  • kipakolonyasi

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:19 PM

How? You think this game would be as good on last gen consoles? The graphics would be HEAVILY downgraded, and a lot of things would be cut out. So no, we already have 3 f*cking batman games on the last gen, no need to ruin the potential of the new one. It's time to move on you cheapskate.

And this is made by Rocksteady too, so expect this to suprass AK and AC by miles.

i said "ballsy". i meant this: you are leaving a huge chunk of audience on the last gen. and releasing a game only for next gen. which is a small market.  

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:53 PM

Oh right. But they have no choice though. Eventually, by the end of this year, the fanbase will be twice as big than now.

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:58 PM

I would rather have Arkham Knight with sh*t graphics, than purchase a $400 console that has a total of 5 games.

Frantz Fuchs
  • Frantz Fuchs

640509-040147

• Members

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:29 PM

I still don't have a PS4, but I'm happy it's next-gen only. By the end of the year, there'll be a ton of new games, especially with E3 coming up. Plus, Rockstar's next game is probably coming next year. I will never skip a Rockstar game. Hitman 6 also coming up 2015, it's not too bad.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:34 PM

I would rather have Arkham Knight with sh*t graphics, than purchase a $400 console that has a total of 5 games.

Yeah....there isn't going to be anymore games ever...right? Idiot. There are games coming out this year, and inFamous is out next week.

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:25 PM

This isn't only about graphics. Next-gen consoles allowed Rocksteady to implement things into this game that are not possible on the 360/PS3.

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:52 PM

The only setbacks I can think of are graphics, weather and number of enemies on-screen. Nothing else about this game seems too next-gen. And the majority of the people still game on Current-gen consoles, and will be for at least a year, since a lot of upcoming games are cross-gen. And honestly, there are current-gen games that are seemingly way more technically advanced that Arkham Knight.

Frantz Fuchs
  • Frantz Fuchs

640509-040147

• Members

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:06 PM

How can you say that without seeing any gameplay? Current-gen more advanced? Just the batmobile takes more processing power than the 360 would be able to handle.

There is nothing current gen about this game. 50 thugs each doing their own thing simultaneously during combat. In Arkham city there were rarely more than 10.

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:24 PM

Here is a post from a member of the Arkham Knight forums on the Warner Bros games website. Hopefully this will finally stop all the idiots who want an Xbox 360/PS3 version of this game.

"I'm quite frankly tired of all these aggressive, poorly constructed and nonsensical posts demanding that Rocksteady release Arkham Knight for the 360, PS3 and Wii U, so to avoid additional forum clutter and needless discussion, here is why the final Arkham game will be exclusive to PC, PS4 and Xbox One:

• The game has been designed with modern technology in mind. This includes an enormous world full of detail. Even if you discard the quality of the content, it's the quantity. The world appears to be simply too large and detailed for the old consoles to cope with it.

• The graphics have, of course, been given a significant upgrade. Not just that, but the physics have apparently been massively improved. There comes a point where scaling back is simply not an option. When you have a world that has been designed in a certain way (eg many objects that are necessary in order to facilitate certain gameplay elements, large groups of enemies, sprawling vistas that aren't hidden by buildings to save on performance, etc), there are some elements that simply have to be there, which makes further sacrifices for extra FPS simply impossible.

• Rocksteady wanted to use a massively upgraded version of the Unreal Engine, something that simply could not have been done on old consoles. A new engine doesn't only mean visual improvements, but also many improvements under the hood that are vital for developers, including streamlined tools and increased productivity, which are often a necessary step to take when crafting large games.

• Porting games requires a lot of money, manpower and time. Even if you ignored the fact that the game would run terribly (or not at all) anyway, it's not as easy as just ticking a box in your compiler settings. Graphics pipelines have to be reorganised, assets need to be reconfigured, and all sorts of things need to be done. Add in the extra testing and compensation for design issues and you're talking about months, if not more than a year - and it would either not run at all or run disastrously anyway. They're not being lazy: It is simply an impossible task for a game like Arkham Knight that has been designed and developed for modern technology.

• The previous generation (360, PS3) has lasted for 9 bloody years. That is an enormous amount of time in the world of technology. Developers often have their hands tied, and games take an unnecessarily long amount of time to develop because they have to compensate for the severe limitations of technology that was already outdated when it was released. Even if they had to deny it a few years ago, every developer who's questioned about it now agrees: the previous consoles seriously limit what can be done in games. It's about time that we moved on to modern technology and allowed developers to create the game they want to without being restrained by arbitrary shackles.

Now, if you're wondering "Well how am I going to play the game if I can't buy a new console?", here's this: Presuming you bought a 360 when it was released, you've had the same console for 9 years. That means that you only payed $3.70 a month for it - a virtually negligible cost in the long run. You got your money's worth, and this generation has been the longest one yet. Even if you bought a PS4 now and this generation only lasted 9 years again (which it probably won't), that's still only $3.70 dollars a month. Again, it's virtually negligible in the long run.

The wiser option would be to get someone to assemble a gaming PC for you. Not only will it last the same amount of time as a console, but you'll be able to play games at higher settings, with better performance, and with mods if you so desire. More importantly, the games and peripherals are MUCH cheaper and if a component wears out, you don't have to buy an entire new console again, but instead just replace the single component. A gaming PC might be more expensive when you first get it, but in the long run, you could end up spending a quarter (or less) of what you spend on a console and its games.

We have to move on eventually. You might think that games are fine as they are now, but the same mistaken claim has been said at the end every single console generation. The better the technology is, the better the games can be. Developers win, you win. Don't refuse to upgrade if you current console is "good enough" - because it isn't. It's been an extremely long generation and it's time to move on now.

Remember, above all, gaming is a hobby - and you therefore have to pay now and again to keep up. You are not entitled to anything, and even if you were, the game was designed for modern technology and releasing it on the 360/PS3/Wii U is simply impossible. More and more games are going to stop being released on the previous generation, so you may as well switch over now. And if you can't, save some money up for a few months and then invest in a good gaming PC. Your wallet will thank you for it and you'll have a better experience."

• Failure, Rashka, Th3MaN1 and 2 others like this

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:45 AM

The new consoles will be out for a year when AK comes out, how long do people expect that every big game will be for all consoles past gen and current? Come E3, we're probably going to see a shift where at least 75% of the new games announced will not be on the last gen consoles.

Don't be Luddites people. Embrace the future.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users