Religion and The Elderly

43 replies to this topic
Eris
  • Eris

hey bae

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:33 PM

Back when religion was big was back decades ago everybody had a religion now days people would rather sit in front of a TV on there ass then going to church at my church many people are elderly. Go to a church in about 20 years from now they will probably be close to empty unless some younger people find God

So people without a belief in a god are empty?

TheFoxRiverFugitive
  • TheFoxRiverFugitive

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:34 PM

Back when religion was big was back decades ago everybody had a religion now days people would rather sit in front of a TV on there ass then going to church at my church many people are elderly. Go to a church in about 20 years from now they will probably be close to empty unless some younger people find God

Well they don't have souls, so yeah. That's the only way saying someone without religion is empty would make at least a little sense. I'm an anti-theist and I gladly deny that I have a soul.

SingingEwe954
  • SingingEwe954

Jack of All Trades

• Members
  • Turkmenistan
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:59 PM

Well they don't have souls, so yeah. That's the only way saying someone without religion is empty would make at least a little sense. I'm an anti-theist and I gladly deny that I have a soul.

At least some people can admit it

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:07 PM

Isn't it after all the same? They blindly believe and follow what others say, no matter if on TV or in the church...

• Sting4S likes this

SingingEwe954
  • SingingEwe954

Jack of All Trades

• Members
  • Turkmenistan
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:27 PM

Yes pretty much its just religion is dying by modern day electronics

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [Gen Chat]

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:35 PM

So I've been thinking all afternoon: why are most religious people older? 

There are a few recent studies.  I'm too lazy to look any up to provide links right now.

- Religion is old and capped itself not soon after it started.

- Science is relatively young and still/forever learning and discovering.  

Bottom line is science is winning the race, along with the hearts and minds of the younger generation(s).

I'm not that old, but if you would have told me when I was 10 years old about half the sh*t we have now, I would have had to think some sort of super natural was involved.

• universetwisters and Danz. like this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:49 PM

Yup! :^: Technology is the devil, it is definitely leading to more godless people by the day. Technology should be banned. Change is bad.

Anyways, I would not classify myself as religious. I do not go to church nor follow any religions. I just believe that there is something out there though.

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:02 AM Edited by gtamann123, 02 March 2014 - 08:03 AM.

Well in a way yes. Religion is being killed by modern day electronics because younger people have access to a whole wealth of knowledge that older generations only dreamed of having. So its a lot harder to deceive younger people into following religion because they are a lot more informed about the world than older generations. We are less likely to believe something just because an authority figure told us so.  

• Sting4S likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich, so wie du bist.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:55 AM

Coming from a family with deep episcopal roots (at least on my dad's side), and with the majority of my family consisting of older folks, this concept pretty much surrounds me. My grandparents and my aunts & uncles & cousins are real big into religion. They go to church every sunday, do all the religious stuff, and so on. Hell, even my brother still does it, who's older than me by about twelve years. It's also the same case with my grandmother on my mom's side. Always railroading me into going to her christian science church with her.

Because of both of the influences, my view on religion is kinda 'mixed'. But even considering that fact, as trip said earlier:

Bottom line is science is winning the race

Of course, I was brought up to know religion, and even though there's a good deal of science that may be able to prove religion wrong in some aspects, there's also some that prove it right, as far as I know. But yeah, if I were walking down the street and a bear slashed open my arm and ran off, I'd most likely try to get medical help rather than pray about my arm. I might pray about it, but the key word being "might".

Hell, I might grow up to be really old and start going to church. And then maybe if (god forbid) I have grandkids, I'll railroad them into going to church with me so this wonderful cycle keeps repeating.

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:03 AM

I would of watched it if they tried to tell the true story of Jesus. 

SingingEwe954
  • SingingEwe954

Jack of All Trades

• Members
  • Turkmenistan
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:51 AM

Well back in the stone ages if you didn't go to church you were shamed now if you don't own an Xbox or PS3 or computer your just look stupid

Killerdude8
  • Killerdude8

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:24 AM

Old people are old, They're looking for something to comfort them as they fast approach bucket kicking day.

iiGh0STt
  • iiGh0STt

Gangsta

• BUSTED!
  • Ukraine

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:36 AM Edited by iiGh0STt, 04 March 2014 - 05:38 AM.

My grandparent are hardcore Catholics, and still refer to all black people as "The blacks"

It's a different generation indeed. I don't think death has anything to do with it, as my other grandparents are all moonshine rednecks who have never been to church a day in their life.

SingingEwe954
  • SingingEwe954

Jack of All Trades

• Members
  • Turkmenistan
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:40 PM

Its really how you grew up and they probably didn't grow up with religion as a major part of there lifes

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users