Why is SA more fun than GTA5?

58 replies to this topic
SergeantSavidge
  • SergeantSavidge

Cook the man some eggs.

• Members
  • England

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:17 PM

San Andreas has that "charm" that you get from games that you grew to love. For some reason, when I played GTA V, although don't get me wrong that it's an excellently made game, seemed a bit short storyline-wise. Once I completed the main story I was thinking, "That was over quickly" but I guess they had to conserve space for all of the other things in GTA V (oddjobs, collectables, the map size itself, and the game mechanics probably take up a fair bit of room), just like in GTA: SA. But you could argue that GTA: SA's story was longer because they used low-resolution textures to make up space, but it came out in 2004 so I guess HD wasn't a big thing back then. Nonetheless, Rockstar keep producing gem after gem as far as I'm concerned.

kingkock666
  • kingkock666

I'm a Dingus....

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:21 PM

I didn't like SA's story at all...I loved the world, even though it was "small". But Cj's story was just....Uninteresting for me. I couldn't get attached to him. The only reason I liked V better is because I enjoyed the characters more, and the world was much more "smooth" I guess...

I just think it's the "nostalgia blinders" on you guys, because I tried to go back and play SA and it was just.....Horrible....I would even go as far to say GTA IV better...

But that's just me...

thizboss
  • thizboss

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:55 AM

I'm sorry to say but I can't completely agree with the statement that GTA San Andreas is more entertaining than GTA V. I absolutely love GTA San Andreas and had SOOO many good times in it with friends and honestly I played it SOOOO much and for some reason it never seemed to be boring. But GTA V is so much better in my opinion. Better graphics (the graphics are very nice!), the physics are not only realistic but very entertaining and funny, there is so much more activities in GTA V which gives the player more to do, there is also an incredibly large map! San Andreas in GTA V is SOOO much larger than GTA San Andreas. Also GTA V pays attention to detail due to the fact that it is new (putting the top down on convertibles!, etc). Also R* are adding tons of free updates with nice additions. Unlike San Andreas, we are getting updates that have new guns, clothes, haircuts, tattoos, cars, even planes! Not to mention there is GTA Online which as soon as you are done with single player you can hop right in to for an endless amount of fun. 

AnDReJ98
  • AnDReJ98

Gangsta

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:00 PM

For me San Andreas is better in many more reasons (nostalgia goes for Vice City). Story used all places in the map, which V lacked. San Andreas had also great missions like GTA V, but San Andreas had way more plus they were less linear than in V. SA had more weapons though i prefer less weapons but customization in V. SA's map is better for exploring and has many unique places unlike V that has big areas with only highways. Also with more interiors in SA, especially when you do robbery side activity, where almost every house in LS is open, though it's copy-paste, it's still better to have it than locked door, map feels fuller. IMO SA has better story & characters (except CJ and Ryder). Both maps are detailed. After all i still think SA is better than V, also V is lacking many things that IV, SA and VC had or had done better.  I didn't expect everything in V, but it's too rushed and feels like unfinished game (as it is), but i hope DLC's will improve something about this, like they did in IV through i like IV more than TLaD & TBoGT.

• B Dawg likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Looks like the diversion worked!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:21 PM

For me San Andreas is better in many more reasons (nostalgia goes for Vice City). Story used all places in the map, which V lacked. San Andreas had also great missions like GTA V, but San Andreas had way more plus they were less linear than in V. SA had more weapons though i prefer less weapons but customization in V. SA's map is better for exploring and has many unique places unlike V that has big areas with only highways. Also with more interiors in SA, especially when you do robbery side activity, where almost every house in LS is open, though it's copy-paste, it's still better to have it than locked door, map feels fuller. IMO SA has better story & characters (except CJ and Ryder). Both maps are detailed. After all i still think SA is better than V, also V is lacking many things that IV, SA and VC had or had done better.  I didn't expect everything in V, but it's too rushed and feels like unfinished game (as it is), but i hope DLC's will improve something about this, like they did in IV through i like IV more than TLaD & TBoGT.

On top of that, SA has more realistic game mechanics despite having an outdated physics engine. Examples:

The Rhino Tank is affected by cannon recoil and gets pulled back (Tank physics!) If you shoot backwards, you can drive faster!

The cannon turret doesn't turn around super fast like in V

SA cars have suspension (aren't glued to the ground)!

and some other stuff...

Wolf247
  • Wolf247

Writer

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:28 PM

One word: Jetpack.

• DarrinPA likes this

fnxrak
  • fnxrak

"Does the Pope sh*t in the Woods?"

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:36 PM

One word: Jetpack.

LOLOLOLOLOL good point :lol:

• Wolf247 likes this

OG Viking
  • OG Viking

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:26 PM

San Andreas is the latest GTA I've tried, so it's interesting to read the various opinions.

So SA is the best, but V is a very good game, everybody agrees on that?

A related question: How is V compared to IV?

fnxrak
  • fnxrak

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:01 PM

Agreed!!!! No doubt that!!!!

And compared to IV it's a lot better, but I'm suspicious as I hated the mechanics of GTA IV so I'm not the best to evaluate the differences.

bloatedsack
  • bloatedsack

Easy like Monday morning

• Members
  • Vatican-City

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:28 PM Edited by bloatedsack, 13 March 2014 - 06:29 PM.

Every one of the GTAs has been immensely fun to me, except GTA3. However, I stepped back to GTA3 after Vice City, so that would explain that. Each of the others I played in chronological order.

Its funny that some of you recall San Andreas so fondly, I, personally, hated all of the things I had to do as part of general play.

I disliked having to be bothered with things like fitness, eating, hair cuts and the like. If I wanted to be bothered with all of those sorts of things, I'd go outside and live my real life.

I don't remember ever enjoying things like the various minigames, the bulk of the missions, dealing with the whole gang territory thing,  or just about any of the story involving Los Venturas at all. As a matter of fact, I found parts of it so terminally boring that I remember taking a six month (or longer) break before finally completing the game.

That said, YMMV. I think I kept SA when I sold my PS2, and I have backwards compatible PS3, so maybe I should give it a shot again. Who knows?

AnDReJ98
  • AnDReJ98

Gangsta

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:32 PM

Well, for me IV and SA are equal. They are good in their own ways, they are different. But comparing IV or SA to V, i would pick up SA/IV over V.

OG Viking
  • OG Viking

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:42 PM

Something I really love about SA is obtaining special vehicles, mostly proofed ones. And exploring new ways of getting a vehicle. Getting the Hydra early is something I'll never forget!

Can you do similar things in IV and V?

fnxrak
  • fnxrak

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:56 PM Edited by fnxrak, 13 March 2014 - 06:56 PM.

Well the hunting for unique vehicles in GTA IV and V is still fun!!! But getting proofed ones is yet to be accomplished in GTA V. And comparing to getting the Hydra early in San Andreas I have only found one task to be equal, getting the Rustler earlier in San Andreas again, so I would say that the challenge to get some vehicles has been a bit diminished, but don't get me wrong it's still lots of fun.

Actually in GTA IV I'm guessing doing a mastersave would be as fun as in San Andreas as it's tough to accomplish the stuff on the restricted/locked areas at the beginning, in that way GTA SA and GTA IV beats the hell out of GTA V.

OG Viking
  • OG Viking

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:12 PM

Rustler too, of course. But the Rustler was for me a lot easier than the Hydra (I exploited missions that affect wanted level and police). Once I knew how to get the Rustler, it was not very hard. With the Hydra, it took me an awful lot of work just to make it crash at the right spot, and I'll not even speak of all the times it vanished. It was a beautiful nightmare LOL!

Too bad there aren't any proofed vehicles to be obtained in GTA V, but the game is not old so maybe someone finds a way?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to me it sounds like you do get to keep proofed vehicles in IV.

fnxrak
  • fnxrak

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:13 PM

Yeah through a girlfriend exploit, not sure if there are any as it's been a few years since I have played it so a lot could have changed.

gnad.1992
  • gnad.1992

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:38 AM

I loved San Andreas but I think GTA V (most because of online) is better.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Looks like the diversion worked!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:58 AM

If you have San Andreas on PC, download SAMP or MTA:SA. It will make V:Online look like sh*t.

Wolf247
  • Wolf247

Writer

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:28 AM

San Andreas is the latest GTA I've tried, so it's interesting to read the various opinions.

So SA is the best, but V is a very good game, everybody agrees on that?

A related question: How is V compared to IV?

Well, even San Andreas is better than IV. Well, to tell you, IV has a better engine, but San Andreas has much more features like planes, and more clothes, and more weapons, bigger map, a countryside etc, etc, but GTA IV has some features GTA San Andreas doesnt. TBoGT night be on San Andreas' level, but barely. On the other hand, GTA V has a lot of features included in previous games, plus a whole heap of extras. But GTA V has ugly futuristic cars driven by brits, like the new Huntley, or the new Buffalo, and the new Cheetah, but that's just my taste. Yet, GTA V is still developing with free DLC's, and Los Santos is bigger than Liberty City, and Blaine County as big as one Los Santos and a half. So I'd say that V overpassed IV, and probably even San Andreas, but it's still debated, as GTA San Andreas has the biggest modability, but it looks like San Andreas is second by sales to GTA V, because it's released for the PS3 and Xbox 360, consoles that everyone has, except me because I don't like Console Controllers, and there's no way it could be played with a keyboard and mouse (plus the annoying auto-aim). So the obvious winner is GTA V.

GTA Online is a seperate game from GTA V, so your argument is invalid. Even if it is included with GTA V, it's like DayZ, you need ArmA to play DayZ, but DayZ isn't ArmA.

Every one of the GTAs has been immensely fun to me, except GTA3. However, I stepped back to GTA3 after Vice City, so that would explain that. Each of the others I played in chronological order.

Its funny that some of you recall San Andreas so fondly, I, personally, hated all of the things I had to do as part of general play.

I disliked having to be bothered with things like fitness, eating, hair cuts and the like. If I wanted to be bothered with all of those sorts of things, I'd go outside and live my real life.

I don't remember ever enjoying things like the various minigames, the bulk of the missions, dealing with the whole gang territory thing,  or just about any of the story involving Los Venturas at all. As a matter of fact, I found parts of it so terminally boring that I remember taking a six month (or longer) break before finally completing the game.

That said, YMMV. I think I kept SA when I sold my PS2, and I have backwards compatible PS3, so maybe I should give it a shot again. Who knows?

Do you even cheat?

gnad.1992
  • gnad.1992

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:15 PM

If you have San Andreas on PC, download SAMP or MTA:SA. It will make V:Online look like sh*t.

I used to play VCMP in 2005/2006. It was very fun but IMO the GTAV engine is better for online.

lol232
  • lol232

We stealin' all da gold!

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:45 PM Edited by lol232, 14 March 2014 - 03:45 PM.

Nah, MTA and SAMP are crap, and considering it's a modification it doesn't count since they can make a MTA:V or VMP when V on PC is released. Modifications don't count, example: "HAHA GTA SA HAS RAGDOLL MOD GTA IV DOESN'T HAVE JETPACKS!!!" and then someone could just reply with "LOL HAHA GTA IV HAS A JETPACK MOD GTA SA HAS A sh*tTY STORYLINE!!!".
Let's just compare the base game. Most of the MP modifications suck, GTA IV MP is great, I hope Rockstar Revives it on PC once GfWL gets shut down because IV:MP mod is crap. And besides you can do much more in GTA O than in MTA/SAMP.

AnDReJ98
  • AnDReJ98

Gangsta

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:42 PM

I hope modders make V:MP when it gets released on PC, i also hope R* improves some problems on PC that were on consoles. Also, i prefer SA:MP over Online since it has more features & less problems than Online, also it supports more than 1000 players. IV mp was great also. It's so sad seeing R* go this path.

Jackgta
  • Jackgta

Your a dick, without a dick!

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:44 PM Edited by Jackgta, 14 March 2014 - 07:45 PM.

If GTA SA had REAL ragdoll physics, weapons with mods ( i know theres a silenced 9mm ) and creatures other than birdies and vultures... i would love it even more.

And V:mp is a thing i badly want too

zmudziak32
  • zmudziak32

Hustler

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:42 PM

San Andreas is great. Map easy to explore, many activities, long Story, and not linear Missions. I enjoyed it for 7 years. V lacks of gang wars, map is big, but sometimes empty. I think they should remake all 3 major cities in SA State. I like Chop, it is funny to hang out with him. Still for me SA > V.

GR Choke
  • GR Choke

Fun Race Creator

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:07 AM

For me san andreas has the best story of all gtas

kasa
  • kasa

Thug

• Members

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:03 PM

better features:

- recruiting

- basketball

- hydraulics

- gangwars

- graffiti

- better interactivity with peds

zkroll
  • zkroll

Snitch

• Members

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:07 PM

SA was a much more memorable experience for me (I don't even really remember what happened in GTA V campaign). 

The online has been fun though. 

Jericho176
  • Jericho176

Spoon Killer

• Members

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:50 AM Edited by Jericho176, 21 March 2014 - 02:01 AM.

The way I see it, GTA IV and GTA V both try hard to be realistic. It's not a bad thing, but it gets rather boring sometimes. They practically have the same gameplay with few differences. I haven't played GTA V yet, but in GTA IV there wasn't much to do after completing the storyline/s. I'm sure GTA V doesn't fail to deliver an amazing storyline and characters though, as with all previous games.

Personally, I prefer GTA San Andreas gamplay than that of GTA IV and GTA V. Though, I liked GTA IV storyline and some characters better than San Andreas. I don't like the ghetto storyline and setting as much as I like the gangster games such as GTA III, GTA Vice City and GTA IV. Not saying I don't like San Andreas storyline though. I love it.

GTA III was the perfect game. It had some amazing characters, an amazing setting, amazing gameplay that was challenging, and most importantly amazing storyline. Back in the day it had amazing graphics too. Nothing can beat that Liberty City atmosphere, not even Rockstar themselves! It's my favorite GTA overall.

GTA Vice City had the perfect protagonist, storyline, setting and soundtrack, but very easy gameplay. The police could never hit you though, even less kill you. They're that stupid, unlike the ones from GTA III. It's very easy compared to III or SA.

GTA San Andreas on the other hand had its flaws, but overall it was the perfect game. It too had an amazing storyline, characters, some amazing radio stations (although nowhere near Vice City) and most importantly, fun and challenging gameplay. Also tons of stuff to do after completing the game and many areas to explore. With so many cool mods available, you can make it even more beautiful and even add new features to make it challenging and more realistic.

GTA IV, as all GTA's, also had great storyline, characters and gameplay. But after completing the game there wasn't much to do. On the plus side, it had two expansions, although not as good as the original. I find GTA IV rather easy though. I think most of GTA IV radio stations sucked, except for Liberty Rock Radio and few other.

GTA V seems to be a perfect combination of all past GTA's, with its characters, storyline, side missions, things to explore, activities, gameplay and lots more (although sh*tty music with few exceptions). Hope it's harder than GTA IV was. I haven't played it yet :/

Overall I would pick GTA San Andreas over GTA V (or IV) anytime, just because it has fun gameplay, and with mods, I make it even harder, more challenging and much prettier :) If I'm playing merely for the storyline and not gameplay, I'd pick GTA III or Vice City. For realism, I'd either get GTA IV or steal/smash cars in real life.

• OG Viking likes this

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:42 AM Edited by lil weasel, 21 March 2014 - 04:46 AM.

I see IV & V as experimental graphic adventures. Maybe when they get done with the experiment they can get back to the free flow gaming we want.

Pretty is nice but game play should be more important.

Five seems to have gone back to Linear missions.
Where is the selection of three missions which could be done by choice at the 'same time'.

lol232
  • lol232

We stealin' all da gold!

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:59 AM

I see IV & V as experimental graphic adventures. Maybe when they get done with the experiment they can get back to the free flow gaming we want.

Pretty is nice but game play should be more important.

Five seems to have gone back to Linear missions.
Where is the selection of three missions which could be done by choice at the 'same time'.

I'm sorry but, GTA IV's missions are anything but linear, you have a lot of freedom right there,
It's not all about graphics, but still, IV's gameplay is far more superb than SA's, especially the storyline.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users