Photo

Opinion on V after 5 months of playing!

205 replies to this topic
TJGM
  • TJGM

for science.

• Feroci Racing
  • Ireland

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:31 PM Edited by TJGM, 28 February 2014 - 09:29 PM.

opiniontime.png

So after 5 months of playing V, I thought I'd give my opinion on it after reading other reviews and seeing the complaints players have had on these forums. This review is based MAINLY on Single Player, so please try not to bring GTA Online up on this thread, and be warned, spoilers ahead! So, let's begin. (thread is a WIP)

story.png

V has been panned on these forums because of its story, and there are a lot of reasons why. The story is easily the weakest part of the game. The story lacks detail and moves way to fast for the story its trying to tell.

I think Drunken Cowboy said it best in his thread. GTA V simply doesn't know what it wants to be. The player switch dynamic destroyed the game because of the lack of focus on one character, they tried merging all their stories together yet failed to tell a story for each character. It felt rushed and overall boring. Because of this, V lacks any type of story in a lot of its characters and even the story overall lacks enough information to be satisfying. The friendships of all three characters felt extremely forced and relationships in the game like Mike and Frank's become way too friendly, way too fast. 

Let's breakdown the characters and how they lack story.

Franklin - A guy trying to 'escape' from the hood and gets lucky by finding Michael, who he uses as a 'metor'. After only a few missions with Franklin, he is already out of the hood and living in a mansion in Vinewood hills and after that its rare that he ever has any more 'hood' type missions again (if you could even call them that). After he's moved into the hills, he has nowhere to go, he's a tag along to Michael and Trevor and his story pretty much stops there since R* gave him no more opportunities to develop the character.

Michael - Michael is having family issues and talks about how miserable he is all the time. He sees a therapist and he seems to have the most polished story of the lot. We know he's retired and we know he's also broke. His character gets rushed into a relationship with Franklin which leads to the FIB gets introduced to the story, Michael becomes a dog for them and fetches anything that Steve Haines and Dave Norton wants and Franklin somehow is so important to them that they want him involved too. Michaels character develops through most of the story unlike other characters, but his character is let down by the rest of the story.

Trevor - A lunatic that does stupid things without reason. We all went into V knowing that Trevor was going to be off the wall crazy, but once his character gets a proper introduction after the Jewelry Heist he seems rushed into doing things way too fast. You automatically go and decide to wipe out all of the Lost in Blaine County without any sort of fight back, no fighting for territory, nothing. You also decide to wipe out the Aztecas straight after you wipe out the Lost by killing their leader Ortega, which the Aztecas only throw one fight up against Trevor before finally giving up and along with wiping out those two gangs, you decide to take out all of the O'Neil brothers too. And after doing all of that, you decide to piss off a Chinese gang and then decide to go to LS without returning to Blaine County until half way through the story. Once you return, you never have any fights against the Aztecas or the Lost in any type of mission as far as I'm aware, the only ones who decide to go after you is the remaining O'Neil brothers and the Chinese gang. Which this is where V's story failed, Trevor never felt like a guy who owned a company/business called "Trevor Philips Industries", in fact, he never seemed to do anything decent for Trevor Philips Industries. I mean, where is meth deals? Taking out other gangs so you can sell your product in other areas? It's things like this that would actually develop the character instead of giving him things like this that never actually have any story to them. Overall, Trevor felt that he never did anything outside of missions, he'd sit in his strip club or just do something stupid when you switched to him, he never actually had a life doing any sort of work for his businesses.

The heists aspect of the game was cool, but it honestly didn't work out well. What was the point of having crew members who's skill increased per heists if there was only 6 heists in general? And one of them didn't even have any crew members. Options were also limited, giving the player only two options isn't exactly a lot of freedom and it was always going in the 'dumb' way or the 'smart' way, they never let you actually set the heists up the way you wanted them, only those two options.

The endings, possibly the worst part of the story is so rushed its unbelievable. The three endings wasn't needed at all, and ending C is just a "let's quickly put all this into one mission so we don't have to make anymore" type ending. Why did we need to kill everyone that caused trouble in the past? Was killing Stretch really necessary? Why couldn't we just kill Steve and and Devin and be done with those guys, and continue the rest of the story with the Chinese gang and Merryweather? 69 missions for a GTA game is pretty lacklustre compared to the past, especially for the story they're trying to tell, it didn't go well at all. An ending like this would only be acceptable if we had more missions giving us a good enough reason to go after everyone at once, but we didn't.

Overall, the story felt rushed and incomplete. Characters never got to fully develop and it made the story feel way too forced.
Rating - 6/10

gameplay.png

The gameplay iv V is easily the best in the GTA series to date. Everything feels fluid and natural, although a lot of the gameplay in V is inspired by other R* games that ain't GTA. And a lot of the gameplay that is inspired, is dumbed down in V compared to the game it was originally on.

Guns/Attachments - GTA is notorious for its use of guns and the ability to kill anyone you want in the game and that's no different in V. The guns in V are very well detailed, but still lack that diversity in them that other GTA games had. Every gun feels the same in V, I can't tell the difference between most of the pistols, assault rifles, etc.. They all feel the same. Weapons also lack features from other R* games, why can't I change shoulders when shooting like in games like Max Payne 3, stuff like this is needed when making a game that's based on mainly shooting people and R* has no excuse for it not being there.

The attachments on weapons are a good way to spice up the weapons in V. I originally found them not to make much of a difference and felt R* didn't use them to their full potential, but after playing for so long, I decided not to buy them all for every gun. Instead, I think its best to keep one pistol with these set of attachments and another pistol with another set. It keeps the game fresh and I also have a more powerful pistol ready if I really need it.

Cover System - V's cover system is the best in the series and I have pretty much no complaints other than two minor ones, which I'll get to soon. The cover in V is great, you can switch to cover in an instant and the player animations are fluid, fast and natural. But the two complaints I have is the lack of crouch and the lack of a 'switch' cover option.

I will never understand R*'s decision to remove crouching in this game. They replaced it with 'stealth' mode which puts the player in this ugly animation that crouch could've been easily. Without a crouch mode, getting from far away cover while being fired on is much more of a risk since you can't keep your head down without a crouch mode. Something that will never make sense to me.

And my second complaint, is the lack of a 'switch' cover option. GTA V has a way of moving around cover without a problem, but you can't switch from one piece of close cover to another without exiting from cover first. I have played games in the past, and with the hit of a button I can move from one piece of cover to the one right next to me without having to exit cover at all.

Driving - Driving in V, at least for me is the best in the series. I was never a fan of the clunky controls in IV and I thought it was a massive improvement in this game. No complaints here, only praise.

Rating - 8/10

visuals.png

Visuals are a big part of what makes the GTA franchise as big as it is today. While you may think games like GTA3, VC and SA look bad now, they easily pushed the limits of the hardware they were on at the time, and V is no different.

Is V the best looking game on the market? No, of course not. Is it one of the best looking games on the market? Easily a yes. For a game running on almost 10 year old consoles, the graphics are outstanding. The shaders, while not perfect, look amazing. The godrays, lens flare, bloom, etc.. all look natural and well done. Things like the sky sphere, while not always pretty, is a huge improvement over the clouds in IV.

Rating - 9/10

map.png

The map in GTA V is vastly huge compared to previous GTA games, San Andreas comes to a close second. While the map might be big in V, it's also pretty empty outside of the city.

Los Santos is full of little details that most won't pick up, it really does make you feel like you're in LA. Every area seems detailed and well done. Not much complaints since its pretty well done, but its the outside of Los Santos that has its problems.

Outside of Los Santos is a different story, what should be a forest is instead a bunch of mountains with nothing on them and a lack of vegetation and detail lets the entire thing down. R* seemed to have added a desert based on the fact that it was in San Andreas, which was a mistake. The desert is located around a bunch of empty mountains and its pretty small.

The map, while detailed in Los Santos, isn't very well done outside of Los Santos and its sad because it has great potential, but it just isn't what I personally expected.

Rating - 7/10

gtav-1.png

The audio in GTA V is pretty amazing. The littlest things have their own type of audio and the ambient noise is simply brilliant. While the weapons might sound a little daft, everything else sounds great. Little things like the footsteps when walking on different materials, or the noise of grass as you drive through them, it's all well detailed and sounds good. I have to give R* props in this area, and generally no complaints. Gun sounds could be a little louder and more violent, but its nothing major.

The voice quality is also a well done job. All of the voice actors for each and every character done a good job playing the characters that R* wanted them to be.

Rating - 10/10

overall.png

While the game is a blast, and it has some major improvements over past GTA's. It still felt like a rushed package. I can't help but feel as if the game was more of a disappointment rather than a fail.

Overall Rating - 8/10
  • TheAdmiester, Shenmue18, Choco Taco and 18 others like this

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

Police Officer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:43 PM

Sorry but I have to disagree in the part of the story, Drunken cowboy didnt even pay attention to the story. Wanna know why? He didnt even know why Trevor was helping Michael with the whole FIB stuff even though it was pretty clear and Trevor repeteadly said it himself! I lost my credibility on him since that point.

• lol232, Th3MaN1, WorldWideFM and 5 others like this

godforgivesthelostdont
  • godforgivesthelostdont

Peon

• Members

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:45 PM

I mostly feel the same way.  I don't think it was rushed.  Moreso that it spent a lot of time (just on all the wrong things).  It wanted to do everything and be everything, and try it's hand at so many things that it lacked focus.  It focused on quantity over quality.  Aka an overworld that was big, but not one that was densely packed with things to do.  Three storylines, but none of them entirely satisfying.

The game lacked personality.  It relied on political satire that was either dated or incoherent.  Even the radio soundtrack was random as all hell.  V doesn't represent an era like VC, SA or IV did.

It looks like Rockstar put a TON of money and time into the game.  Not a lot of heart though.  There was no love put into it.  It was basically engineered like a car.

Also, though, I don't think the sandboxing was improved since earlier games.  They just decided to put tennis and golf in there to give it a little more variety but most people get GTA to cause chaos and destruction.  It wasn't changed much there.

I do think people have uneven standards.  Since GTA is a huge name, if it's not a 10/10 masterpiece, then it's a huge flop.  But if Mercury Meltdown, Trauma Center and Brother In Arms are 8/10's, they are praise-worthy.  To be honest, even GTA5's story is more creative than your average story (someones kidnapped, so get a gun/sword and fight people).  But it fails because we expected more.

GTA5 isn't as surprising, shocking or exciting as previous GTA games were for their time, but it's still better than your average game.

As for the ratings (1 is the worst, 5 is okay, 7 is good, 8 is great, 9 is excellent, 10 is masterful):

Gameplay - 8/10 (it's GTA refined to the best it could possibly be)

Content/Value - 9/10 (in terms of hours for your money, theres A LOT to do here)

Visuals - 9/10 (a huge technical achievement for ps3/x360, though some uncanny valley)

Sound - 8/10 (really good original score, but the radio soundtrack is too random)

Narrative - 7/10 (the story has interesting ideas and some imagination, but fumbles)

Originality - 7/10 (three-characters is cool but the mechanic is rarely used.  mostly, it's typical GTA)

Overall rating: 8.5/10

• SmoothGetaway, SFPD officer, TheMasterfocker and 3 others like this

Immigration
  • Immigration

420 Warrior

• Members

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:46 PM

I agree OP. GTA V is a disappointment 

Gta_V_Fan_101
  • Gta_V_Fan_101

My posts are brought to you by Chuckola Cola Drinks.

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:47 PM Edited by Gta_V_Fan_101, 27 February 2014 - 09:51 PM.

Sorry but I have to disagree in the part of the story, Drunken cowboy didnt even pay attention to the story. Wanna know why? He didnt even know why Trevor was helping Michael with the whole FIB stuff even though it was pretty clear and Trevor repeteadly said it himself! I lost my credibility on him since that point.

Drunken Cowboy pretty much shut himself off after you know who died. 

It's like that scene shocked him so much that he felt like the other part of the story was sh*t.

For me, GTA V wasn't a disappointment. It was an awesome game which I enjoyed playing. Yes, it does have some flaws, but every game has them. 

No game is perfect. (Aside from my favourite game). :p

Militia
  • Militia

Proof Vehicle Collector

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:50 PM

I still like it.  But I did have to put it back in the box for the first time since release about 4-5 days ago.  I will play again tomorrow, though, and get the new DLC on March 4th.

I also agree with the OP, pretty good ratings.  I'd rate it a 7.5 or 8/10 overall.  For some reason I still can't enjoy like I did III, Vice City, or San Andreas those.  These PS2 era games are always better for me.  I love IV and V, though, but not like I love the classic PS2 era games.

Anzand17
  • Anzand17

V.I.P

• Members

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:56 PM

Very good Opinion. I for one, Did not like the gameplay that much. Not bashing the game i like it but i love the ragdoll physics in IV. I miss it.

godforgivesthelostdont
  • godforgivesthelostdont

Peon

• Members

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:56 PM

Agree.  But it is mostly due to our standards.

We expected a 10/10 game that would revolutionize gaming.  We got an 8/10 game instead.

Notice that people never get mad when Fire Emblem and Ratchet and Clank aren't revolutionary.

Gta_V_Fan_101
  • Gta_V_Fan_101

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:06 PM Edited by Gta_V_Fan_101, 27 February 2014 - 10:06 PM.

We expected a 10/10 game that would revolutionize gaming.  We got an 8/10 game instead.

Notice that people never get mad when Fire Emblem and Ratchet and Clank aren't revolutionary.

I agree with your agreement.  :^:

The latest Fire Emblem game was the best in the series, and that's because people were expecting something like the sh*tty FE game that came before it. When the last one got released, people were amazed by its awesomeness. 

This is the same thing with GTA V. Before the release, I could remember threads like "Are people going to move into LS?" or "Can we travel to LC?". Basically threads which make no sense or those which do not rely on confirmed information.

People were expecting way too much.

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Go Big Blue!

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:08 PM Edited by TheMasterfocker, 27 February 2014 - 10:09 PM.

Did you ever see the threads pre-release? Like, early pre-release? Mid 2012 - Early 2013? 

Holy stupid Batman.

People expected everything. There was so much speculation, and confirming things that weren't confirmed. It was madness.

A lot of people's expectations were through the roof because of it.

Notice how, outside of this forum, you barely hear anything bad about the game?

Exactly. People didn't have ridiculous expectations outside of this forum. They got the game, played it, and that's it.

• lol232, StarFyer, SmoothGetaway and 5 others like this

godforgivesthelostdont
  • godforgivesthelostdont

Peon

• Members

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:09 PM

the newest fire emblem is good if you are new to turn based strategy games.

if you aren't, like me, youll wonder why the hell the game has only one type of property, no farming/resource management and the level design is so simple.  on top of the story being forgettable.

Gta_V_Fan_101
  • Gta_V_Fan_101

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:18 PM Edited by Gta_V_Fan_101, 27 February 2014 - 10:22 PM.

the newest fire emblem is good if you are new to turn based strategy games.

if you aren't, like me, youll wonder why the hell the game has only one type of property, no farming/resource management and the level design is so simple.  on top of the story being forgettable.

I'm not new to those type of games, and it's one of my favourite games. Sure, the story was crap, but the characters were legendary. 

But, as usual, that's just my opinion.

Let's get back on topic now:

IMO, GTA V deserved a 9/10 or a 9.5/10

For me, Gameplay > Story. So, that's probably why.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

VOLKSWAFFEN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:28 PM

My original opinion still stands - average/poor plot, great gameplay.

• Echolex likes this

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

You're all a bunch of ungrateful children

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:49 PM

I will do a brief review.

GAMEPLAY
The basic mechanics have been refined to a great excellent, the shooting can rival a typical third person shooter (apart form the Mass Effect series, it does more than rival it, GTA V's shooting (and IV's for that matter) is leaps and bounds better than the combat in the ME series) and the driving has been improved (in my opinion, I don't want to start a flame ware here) and it is extremely fun to mess around behind the wheel, and melee combat is finally a lot of fun. Onto other things, vehicle variety is extremely well done, you can drive/fly everything from your generic car to bulldozer, to an attack chopper and even a Boeing 747, weapon variety is also great (although this is the only aspect where the 3D Universe games are better), you can use a few melee weapons such as a generic baseball bat and knife to a golf club and crowbar and even a broken bottle, firearms are plentiful and fun to use, and you can also get the excellent grenade launcher. The variety of missions are simply the best they ever ever been in the series, gone are the days of 'drive from point A to point B and shoot C', you will never know what you are going to be doing next, this is partially thanks to the 3 protagonist system.

STORY

GTA V tells an interesting story about 'the pursuit of the almighty dollar', it focus on heists mainly, but also expands into the the corrupt FBI (or in this case, FIB) theme, many people were disappointed this theme but I thought it added something fresh to the series, and as you know by now, you play as 3 distinct characters, Franklin, Micheal and Trevor, Micheal and Trevor are well written but Franklin could have done with some more missions. I would have taken this over another San Andreas gang style story anyway, thrown in a bunch of memorable characters and you have a good story, the story and characters are not as great as in GTA IV because story had to be partially sacrifised for gameplay in this case (GTA IV may have had a better story, but that story did not allow for much variety in missions), a brave move in a generation where it is done the other way around, and gameplay is the most important aspect of a game. I won't go into anymore details about the story to avoid spoilers.

GRAPHICS

Simply put, GTA V's visuals are the best in an open world console game. The map looks great and has excellent detail and the weather effects are excellent. Vehicle models look great and for the first time in the series, character models look good in gameplay (they didn't age that well in GTA IV) and facial expressions in cutscenes are excellent. There is minor pop-in during, mainly during multiplayer, but is rarely noticeable, let alone distracting.

AUDIO

Sound effects are all well done, but this has come to be expected in games nowadays, as for the radio, it has a great selection of songs (although opinions on this are subjective) and I feel that it ties with GTA IV in terms of quality, just behind GTA San Andreas's soundtrack which is behind the excellent soundtracks in GTA Vice City and GTA Vice City Stories

MULTIPLAYER

I will leave multiplayer out of this review because the original post was mainly about story mode and because I can't be bothered typing anymore.

OVERALL

10/10, I don't think it is fair to take points off because of the story as it was done the way it was in favor of good gameplay, and that is how games should be made. It's other few flaws such as minor pop-in are not major enough to distract from the full experience that they are not worth taking off points for either.

• Lucchese and G D like this

russianpolice
  • russianpolice

AK-47

• Members

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:04 AM

I still play GTA IV more than V. Driving physics are lame and so is the damage. This is my opinion. If others enjoy the game good =P

• victm92 likes this

Travís.
  • Travís.

Gangsta

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:27 AM

Is there really going to be a topic every month..

I like it just as much as I did when I first got it.

pokemon123
  • pokemon123

stuff

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:30 AM

well awakening wasn't exactly known for being revolitonary it was knowm for being fun

• Gta_V_Fan_101 likes this

Travís.
  • Travís.

Gangsta

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:35 AM Edited by Travís., 28 February 2014 - 04:37 AM.

People would of enjoyed V more if they did t expect so f*ckíng much.
  • Echolex likes this

GravelAxe
  • GravelAxe

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:42 AM

I can't believe the way some people reject constructive criticism of the game. How are R* supposed to improve if players don't feed back their opinion? A lot of V's features were in direct response to fan criticism of IV, why can't that continue?

Notice how, outside of this forum, you barely hear anything bad about the game?

Exactly. People didn't have ridiculous expectations outside of this forum. They got the game, played it, and that's it.

You are right - you do see more detailed GTA criticism in a forum designed specifically to discuss GTA. You do realise there are pretty obvious reasons for that?

The OP's main expectation was a coherent story. Why is that expecting too f*cking much, exactly?

• SFPD officer, Ermac. and Yogogamer like this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:57 AM

I can't believe the way some people reject constructive criticism of the game. How are R* supposed to improve if players don't feed back their opinion? A lot of V's features were in direct response to fan criticism of IV, why can't that continue?

I agree but we all see where listening to fan's criticism of IV got them with people. People now have all this love for IV that I never saw before. I think they would be better off if they just did what they wanted and people like or they don't.

• SmoothGetaway likes this

Gta_V_Fan_101
  • Gta_V_Fan_101

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:02 AM Edited by Gta_V_Fan_101, 28 February 2014 - 11:21 AM.

The OP's main expectation was a coherent story. Why is that expecting too f*cking much, exactly?

He wasn't talking about the OP, genius.

• Istoned and Travís. like this

SFPD officer
  • SFPD officer

Protecting citizens of "that other city in San Andreas"

• Members
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:30 AM

I agree but we all see where listening to fan's criticism of IV got them with people. People now have all this love for IV that I never saw before. I think they would be better off if they just did what they wanted and people like or they don't.

Definitely. However, I feel people have a right to voice their opinion. People used to complain about IV all the time. And though it was as tiring for me, as I am a IV fan, as it is now for V fans, in retrospective I welcome the criticism. It made for some interesting discussions and V really did learn from many of IV's mistakes (open world gameplay, repetitive and filler missions, countryside, customization etc.).

While there are some things I don't like about V that are result of R* trying to differentiate from IV, other things like lack of focus, character development or storyline consistency aren't.

In the end, it's about finding the right balance. You have to listen to criticism, because even though a lot of it might be just stupid rambling and nitpicking, critics sometimes have a point. You must listen to what consumer has to say, because it's him who you are selling the product to. But you can't bow down to everyone and compromise your own vision.

ViceCityStalker
  • ViceCityStalker

Balls Deep Inside Candy Suxxx

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:42 AM

I think V is f*cking A1 even with all it`s flaws,not many games can pull that off.

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:04 PM

5 months later i am stil in love with this masterpiece of a 5th Installment of a Legendary Franchise...tbh i though GTAO is a flaw but i got into it this week and it so addictive,i see why it would be an mmo game to the Series,it so fun and amazing.

GTA 5:10/10
GTAO:7.8/10
  • PreciousWall, Liquid715 and LowiPL like this

mariana_dm1989
  • mariana_dm1989

Mari

• Members

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:13 PM

I now think it is a piece of poo

sibs44
  • sibs44

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:05 PM

I love how people didn't start to care about GTA's story until they played IV. I hope all of you know that the initial backlash of IV is what caused all of this. They didn't think people cared about the story too much because "I never finished IV story" a lot of people say. In the beta stages, this game was GTA 4 + RDR, the way it was meant to be. 

Rockstar didn't change, your standards did. I don't see this as a game that's trying to be a lot of things, I see it as a game that tried to cater to a lot of people. And you can't blame them for that. 

• Loxley likes this

kj2022
  • kj2022

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:28 PM

Rockstar didn't change, your standards did. I don't see this as a game that's trying to be a lot of things, I see it as a game that tried to cater to a lot of people. And you can't blame them for that. 

Since I didn't expect a complete clusterf*ck of a game with a barely coherent story, I can only assume that Rockstar did in fact change. They tried to do too many things, to cater to so many people, that the end result, the end product that we bought, felt without any soul to me. Other GTA games have a feeling that is completely unique, where GTA V felt like that annoying kid in class screaming about the new thing he got when everyone else had it 5 or 6 months ago. It's a good game, but it is in no way the best that Rockstar could have, and should have, done.

• SFPD officer and Acetaminophen like this

lol232
  • lol232

The Golden Butcher

• Members
  • Greece

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:32 PM Edited by lol232, 28 February 2014 - 02:33 PM.

This.

Implying a game is a rushed package is just like saying...
...Well, they were working on the game since 2008, that's far from rushed.
IV is my favourite just by one tiny bit, V is still amazing.

Considering the OP likes The Last of Us, yeah, he's one of these guys. It's a 7/10 game for me, I wouldn't give the opinion about it here because this is a not a TLoU topic.

I agree with sibs but I did care about the GTA's story before IV, and I just like IV more, I just enjoy it a slight bit more. Rockstar didn't change one bit.

WorldWideFM
  • WorldWideFM

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:36 PM Edited by jarredxmorris, 28 February 2014 - 02:36 PM.

Can't say I agree about the story. I don't even think that a bunch of vocal minority ten year olds hating it even counts as the whole forums panning it. 

I think the story itself was weaker than GTA IV, but I thought the execution of V's slightly weaker story was much stronger than any other GTA game, and perhaps any other game, ever. It's all of those little things; flashbacks, the score, the multi-protag structure - this game clearly marked an evolution in the quality of Dan Houser's writing (which was already great) and altogether, the way the story was told was with much more advanced techniques. But the underlying story itself, whilst still strong, was weaker  than IV.  

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:44 PM Edited by Official General, 28 February 2014 - 02:47 PM.

GTA V's story was mediocre, weak, and for most part kinda boring. And it had very poor structure too. Just give it up. 

On topic, I agree with the OP. The game just did not know what it wanted to be, it all felt so forced and rushed too. I have a friend of mine who is only just playing it for the first time and has a quarter left to go - he said to me yesterday that he cannot believe how boring the story is and how much the game is lacking. He said expected much more than this, and he;s not got long to go I told him, so he should set himself up for disappointment. He's even now saying he regrets buying it and that should have borrowed it instead. 

• LestersSiesta likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users