Stop closing threads just because you feel like it

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
95 replies to this topic
uNi
  • uNi

Cyclop 9

• None

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:57 PM

oo00oo00oo, on 25 Feb 2014 - 06:54 AM, said: cmon mods close the thread already. too much trolling

Most of the times if a locked thread doesn't not contain a reason for it, is then very obvious why the thread got locked.

That said, you can report any thread you think was wrongly locked.

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013
    Contribution Award [GTAF]
    Helpfulness Award [GTAF]

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:00 PM

I also agree that notes should be left by the person that locks them, if only to be fair to newer members who don't know the protocol and just to be generally more helpful.

However - we do not lock topics for no reason. There is always a good reason for removing a topic, and if it is not apparent to you, then perhaps you need to familiarise yourself with our rules and how this forum works. By suggesting we are Nazis and Fascists is suggesting we lock topics for our own entertainment, and that does not make sense in the slightest.

• Raavi likes this

codename_duchess
  • codename_duchess

Soldier

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:05 PM Edited by codename_duchess, 26 February 2014 - 08:07 PM.

So would either of you like to point any examples of threads that were not derailed beyond hope of recovery that you feel were unjustly locked?

Not saying anything about that. Agreed, some threads do deserve to be closed. But why does said mod then have to add their two cents worth at the end, knowing full well no one else can reply. 

They may well be correct in closing it but maybe a sensible comment and not a smart**se reply would suffice. There's plenty of examples of this in previous closed posts. There's also plenty of examples of closed threads without a final sh*tty comment from whoever closed it. 

I also agree that notes should be left by the person that locks them, if only to be fair to newer members who don't know the protocol and just to be generally more helpful.

However - we do not lock topics for no reason. There is always a good reason for removing a topic, and if it is not apparent to you, then perhaps you need to familiarise yourself with our rules and how this forum works. By suggesting we are Nazis and Fascists is suggesting we lock topics for our own entertainment, and that does not make sense in the slightest.

Not disagreeing here but why the need to close a thread, then leave a final comment that could have been sent to the OP as a private message? 

Since certain people possibly need to read the forum rules, then surely some mods have to read up on how to be a good mod on a public forum?

oo00oo00oo
  • oo00oo00oo

O.O

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:09 PM Edited by oo00oo00oo, 26 February 2014 - 08:10 PM.

oo00oo00oo, on 25 Feb 2014 - 06:54 AM, said:
cmon mods close the thread already.  too much trolling

Most of the times if a locked thread doesn't not contain a reason for it, is then very obvious why the thread got locked.

yeah, i posted that like 5 times and got my warning.  that's still separate from mods abusing power. 

like just in the last hour i've had my posts edited for me and somebody added special member to my name

<--------------------

it's a load of crap

Edit: oh look, somebody went into my profile and now removed it, because it wasn't me

• gnad.1992 likes this

uNi
  • uNi

Cyclop 9

• None

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:10 PM

Do you have a specific thread to report?

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013
    Contribution Award [GTAF]
    Helpfulness Award [GTAF]

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:10 PM

Not disagreeing here but why the need to close a thread, then leave a final comment that could have been sent to the OP as a private message? 
Since certain people possibly need to read the forum rules, then surely some mods have to read up on how to be a good mod on a public forum?

So you'd rather us PM the OP about why it was closed, than post a comment publicly? I don't get it, I thought that's what this topic was about? And what exactly is 'bad' about the current moderation apart from the point raised in this topic? There is no 'good mod' guide, we all work to the same rules and that's all.

oo00oo00oo
  • oo00oo00oo

O.O

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:13 PM

which i did, and it's still locked.  i mean i guess this thread has merged with the other, but it's still technically two different issues.  one is mods closing threads, which i now consider a resolved issue thanks to Raavi.  the second issue is somebody editing my posts and profile, which was the other thread that is now locked

Myron
  • Myron

I shot Reagan

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:13 PM

yeah, i posted that like 5 times and got my warning.  that's still separate from mods abusing power. 

like just in the last hour i've had my posts edited for me and somebody added special member to my name

<--------------------

it's a load of crap

Edit: oh look, somebody went into my profile and now removed it, because it wasn't me

Maybe if you didn't get so touchy about the moderators closing your useless topics and warning you for making posts that consist of 'yeah lol' 'LOL' and 'hahaha' they wouldn't find it so funny to f*ck with you?

• *MURDOC* likes this

oo00oo00oo
  • oo00oo00oo

O.O

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:18 PM

<--------------------

it's a load of crap

Maybe if you didn't get so touchy about the moderators closing your useless topics and warning you for making posts that consist of 'yeah lol' 'LOL' and 'hahaha' they wouldn't find it so funny to f*ck with you?

great answer.  that completely justifies it.  thank you for not being helpful

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:21 PM

Fight the power bro.

You will lose, but nonetheless keep fighting for my amusement. :^:

• grumpy cat meme likes this

Myron
  • Myron

I shot Reagan

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:22 PM

<--------------------

it's a load of crap

Listen pal, I'm not trying to help you out. You're a whiny ass whom I have never seen on here and looking at your posts, they consist largely of 1-4 word responses which contribute nothing. The exception being the four threads you made complaining about the moderators of which your posts have been veritable essays in comparison.

• *MURDOC* likes this

oo00oo00oo
  • oo00oo00oo

O.O

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:29 PM

<--------------------

it's a load of crap

Listen pal, I'm not trying to help you out. You're a whiny ass whom I have never seen on here and looking at your posts, they consist largely of 1-4 word responses which contribute nothing. The exception being the four threads you made complaining about the moderators of which your posts have been veritable essays in comparison.

definitely not true.  i've had questions answered from topics i've made that helped other members, answered questions for other members, and even hooked other members up with cool stuff like the space docker in the past

anyway, looks like the shows over but i think everyone should be very concerned with how easy it is for mods to abuse their power and get away with it.  if my stuff stops getting f'd with when it shouldn't be, i'll be happy

Fight the power bro.

You will lose, but nonetheless keep fighting for my amusement. :^:

thanks haha

WBaker
  • WBaker

Acatalepsis

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:30 PM

Filter the forum to only show locked topics and you see mostly led-by & mod avatars.

I don't know how to do that, but I see a lot of topics that are locked with some random poster at the end who isn't a led-by.

Just above where the topics are listed there is a line that reads Recently Updated, Start Date, Most Replies, Most Viewed, and Custom. In Custom you can set the topic type to locked to see only locked threads.

oo00oo00oo
  • oo00oo00oo

O.O

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:36 PM

oh hey, and look, somebody edited my signature yet again.  same bullsh*t still happening

u thought i wouldn't notice the change from ABUSING to USING but i did

• gnad.1992 likes this

Myron
  • Myron

I shot Reagan

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:38 PM

Filter the forum to only show locked topics and you see mostly led-by & mod avatars.

I don't know how to do that, but I see a lot of topics that are locked with some random poster at the end who isn't a led-by.

Just above where the topics are listed there is a line that reads Recently Updated, Start Date, Most Replies, Most Viewed, and Custom. In Custom you can set the topic type to locked to see only locked threads.

Wow, I don't know how I didn't notice that, I swear I've looked blankly at that a million times before. Thanks.

codename_duchess
  • codename_duchess

Soldier

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:45 PM Edited by codename_duchess, 26 February 2014 - 08:48 PM.

So you'd rather us PM the OP about why it was closed, than post a comment publicly? I don't get it, I thought that's what this topic was about? And what exactly is 'bad' about the current moderation apart from the point raised in this topic? There is no 'good mod' guide, we all work to the same rules and that's all.

Ok, i'll rephrase that. I don't see anything wrong with someone closing a thread and stating the reasons why, on the thread itself. But why then follow it up with a smart a*se comment at the end? Why not just say that it's locked for not following forum rules? Wouldn't be the first time a mod has done that and i'm sure it won't be the last.

Yes, i do realise there is no "good mod" guide but shouldn't a mod be somewhat impartial when enforcing forum rules? Not using the rules as an excuse to close/change/lock a thread because they feel like it.

For the record, this isn't a dig at any mods and what they do. I also realise i'll be on the losing side here, judging by how a few mods have chipped in to the conversation

• oo00oo00oo likes this

codename_duchess
  • codename_duchess

Soldier

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:52 PM

Oh, and now i suddenly see i have a 4* going on with my profile. Am i guessing that this thread has something to do with it? Can't imagine how as i've been polite and not resorted to petty name calling or random insults

Polish_Trucker
  • Polish_Trucker

It's the Hoff, I've been on this beach since Baywatch

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:01 PM

This is fun.

eOGwI.gif

• gnad.1992 and grumpy cat meme like this

WBaker
  • WBaker

Acatalepsis

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:02 PM

Oh, and now i suddenly see i have a 4* going on with my profile. Am i guessing that this thread has something to do with it? Can't imagine how as i've been polite and not resorted to petty name calling or random insults

The stars are a rating that members set. More stars is a good thing.
  • codename_duchess likes this

codename_duchess
  • codename_duchess

Soldier

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:05 PM

Cheers bud. Wasn't quite sure. Thought i might have upset a few fellow forum dwellers lol.

All good with that. Oh, and just sent you a message asking you about this

chrisscorsese88
  • chrisscorsese88

A Survivor is Born

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:13 PM

Not to add to the fire, but I honestly have to agree with the moderators. Every time I come on here and see a topic has been locked, it's either because it's a duplicate thread, which is unnecessary, it's someone just trolling, which no one wants, or the thread has got so derailed that it's a pain to look through dozens of pages to find only several posts have been relevant. 

• *MURDOC* likes this

WBaker
  • WBaker

Acatalepsis

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:16 PM

I don't see anything wrong with someone closing a thread and stating the reasons why, on the thread itself. But why then follow it up with a smart a*se comment at the end? Why not just say that it's locked for not following forum rules?

I can't speak for anyone else but sometimes I try to be funny when closing a thread. It's not meant to be an insult or offend anyone.
  • codename_duchess likes this

codename_duchess
  • codename_duchess

Soldier

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:23 PM

I don't see anything wrong with someone closing a thread and stating the reasons why, on the thread itself. But why then follow it up with a smart a*se comment at the end? Why not just say that it's locked for not following forum rules?

I can't speak for anyone else but sometimes I try to be funny when closing a thread. It's not meant to be an insult or offend anyone.

I've seen some of the comments you leave on closed topics and to be honest, they are funny. But others seem to think that leaving a sarcastic comment is acceptable, once they close a thread.

If anything, i'd say your one of the more sensible mods on here

Not to add to the fire, but I honestly have to agree with the moderators. Every time I come on here and see a topic has been locked, it's either because it's a duplicate thread, which is unnecessary, it's someone just trolling, which no one wants, or the thread has got so derailed that it's a pain to look through dozens of pages to find only several posts have been relevant. 

No one is saying that certain posts should be locked or removed, but there's a way to go about it

• WBaker likes this

Myron
  • Myron

I shot Reagan

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:39 PM

My star rating dropped from 4 stars to 2 because I said to some guy that I thought his belief that f*cking kids was okay was not cool, so I wouldn't go as far as to say that is necessarily the case.

codename_duchess
  • codename_duchess

Soldier

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:41 PM

My star rating dropped from 4 stars to 2 because I said to some guy that I thought his belief that f*cking kids was okay was not cool, so I wouldn't go as far as to say that is necessarily the case.

Who was you talking to? Jimmy Saville ? hahaha

gnad.1992
  • gnad.1992

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:41 PM Edited by gnad.1992, 26 February 2014 - 10:41 PM.

It was fun to read this... lmao..

But I really think some (maybe 1 or 2) moderators should calm down a bit..

Just chill... :)

Anyway, we, the common 'members' group got to sit back and.. 

will-smith-deal-with-it.gif

• TommyCJFaann likes this

Myron
  • Myron

I shot Reagan

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:42 PM

Who was you talking to? Jimmy Saville ? hahaha

I don't remember and wouldn't like to guess in case it was the wrong guy.

WBaker
  • WBaker

Acatalepsis

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:44 PM

It isn't something to be taken too seriously. Mine jumps around too.

Nipperkins
  • Nipperkins

Grill

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • San-Marino

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:52 PM

Keep it up bro

• gnad.1992 likes this

gear999
  • gear999

Big Homie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:09 PM

There's only two moderators I have a tiny grudge against.

Not telling who.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users