• United-Kingdom

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:11 PM

Hey guys, I'm currently using an:

ATI 7950 3GB

i5 2550k 4.1GHz

8GB RAM DDR3

1920x1080

Windows 8 64-bit

I'm looking to buy a new graphics card and possibly a processor in the near future (possibly in a couple of days) and was wondering if you guys could give me any advice on what parts to purchase?

A friend recommended buying a GTX 780ti, and an i7 of sorts.

I'm from the UK, so links to components from UK websites would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Poland
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Helpfulness Award
    Helpfulness Award [Technology]

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:15 PM

What's your current power supply (brand, model, wattage)?

I can see no point in upgrading current CPU to i7. As for the GPU, GTX780Ti is a solid choice, although quite a bit expensive. I don't think that HD7950 is that outdated, so I'd wait for Maxwell.

SoftTouch
  • SoftTouch

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:44 PM Edited by SoftTouch, 26 February 2014 - 07:45 PM.

My advice is to give that computer to me. But no, seriously I don't think you need to upgrade the CPU, and do switch to Nvidia, you won't regret.

EDIT: And upgrade to Windows 8.1

BarelyLegal
  • BarelyLegal

You're a cünt.

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:33 PM

My bad, yeah I've got Windows 8.1 already.

What is Maxwell? A new brand of CPU's?

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:45 PM Edited by yojo2, 26 February 2014 - 08:46 PM.

Maxwel is a codename for next-gen nVidia GPUs (800 series), which are said to be out in Q3-Q4 '14.

Technically, recently-released GTX750/GTX750Ti cards are Maxwells, although they don't have all Maxwell-specific features and are made in current manufacturing process. And obviously they're low-mid end cards. Basically it's a dry run of the upcoming architecture.

BarelyLegal
  • BarelyLegal

You're a cünt.

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:48 PM

Should I wait for the newer models, or settle for a current card?

Would it be worth getting a 780ti, or could you guys recommend me an even better card? Preferably not over £500.

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:08 PM Edited by yojo2, 26 February 2014 - 09:09 PM.

I'd suggest waiting, unless the HD7950 is really not enough for you. Maxwell should bring a sizeable increase in performance.

Anyway, the only single-GPU card faster than GTX780Ti is the Titan Black, which is ridiculously expensive, and no way in hell is it worth recommending.

Pat
  • Pat

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:08 AM

Why are you upgrading from a 7950 with only a single 1080p display? There shouldn't be anything on the market that you can't handle at a constant 60FPS, unless you're trying to ubersample every game you play.

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTA V/Online Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:54 PM Edited by Andreas, 27 February 2014 - 06:59 PM.

Why do you consider to upgrade your PC, if I may ask? With that rig, you are able to max out every title that is currently on the market on very high or actually even maxed out settings and that in Full HD. What else do you expect? There is no need for an upgrade if you're not going to play on multiple monitors, or on a monitor with a resolution way beyond 1920x1080.

Your processor will easily last for years to come, the only system part that you will have to replace a little sooner is the graphic-card, which is still able to display videogames on every possible setting you can imagine. I wouldn't even think of an upgrade until Maxwell arrives. Hell, I wouldn't think about any upgrades until the PC doesn't achieve the results I expect.

BarelyLegal
  • BarelyLegal

You're a cünt.

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

I get frame rates of below 60 on several games, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Skyrim, Far Cry 3 and more. Even on medium settings does this happen.

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:41 PM

Update all drivers as well as your games.

Make sure memory is running in dual channel mode and it's actually running at the advertised specs.

Also if your familiar with it, update the motherboard bios.

kipakolonyasi
  • kipakolonyasi

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:18 PM Edited by kipakolonyasi, 01 March 2014 - 05:21 PM.

i just don't understand you people you buy those graphics cards worth more than the price of 1 ps3 + 1 ps4 yet you still have to hassle with all this kind of bullsh*t:

Make sure memory is running in dual channel mode and it's actually running at the advertised specs.

yet that graphics card gets outdated after two years along with your cpu anyway. i mean, i can't see a winner here other than intel and nvidia. this is bullsh*t. 

OverTheBelow
  • OverTheBelow

OTB "Oaty-Bee"

• Zaibatsu

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:53 AM Edited by OverTheBelow, 02 March 2014 - 09:53 AM.

i just don't understand you people you buy those graphics cards worth more than the price of 1 ps3 + 1 ps4 yet you still have to hassle with all this kind of bullsh*t:

yet that graphics card gets outdated after two years along with your cpu anyway. i mean, i can't see a winner here other than intel and nvidia. this is bullsh*t. 

My previous graphics card (HD 5850) lasted me over 4 years. It is still capable of maxing most games with at least 30fps, and many at 60fps. That card costed me less than a PS3 or an xbox would've 5 years ago and gave me a much fuller experience of games in high definition. I've only just upgraded a couple of days ago to a new £240 graphics card (GTX 770) and I am already getting much more performance than a PS4/XB1 for almost half the price. 

A PC can be a really good long term gaming investment if you do it right, especially considering the price of games on consoles in comparison. The only disadvantage of PC gaming as I've come to learn over the years are lack of console exclusives, and the need for some technical know-how on occasion.

-------

Anyway, sorry for deviating off the main post. BarelyLegal, have you perhaps considered overclocking your 7950 to ease out a tiny bit more performance? GPU overclocking is so simple and easy, only a fool wouldn't take the free performance that can be had. You can get gains upwards of 5-10fps, depending on how far you go.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users