» «
Photo

Was Franklin necessary at all?

86 replies to this topic
John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:29 PM Edited by Lucchese, 28 February 2014 - 03:30 PM.

Can't believe this discussion is still happening so many months after release. 

The trailer gave the impression that Franklin was from the hood and wanted to get out. It, to my mind, didn't suggest that a large portion of the game would be spent stuck in the hood doing things we've already done. 

It suggested, to me, that Franklin's story would be about what he did when he left the hood. Not trudging back over the reasons why he wanted out. 

Whether or not Franklin wanted out of the gang life is not really the point here. The point being made is that Rockstar gave the clear impression that somehow Franklin was gonna end up being dragged back into some serious gang and hood action, and that it should have been provided.

If you believe in your mind that the trailers did not give you the impression that a significant portion of the game (Franklin's part) was gonna be about gangs and the hood, then fine it's your eyes, your view. But I personally think you are either being purposefully ignorant, too stubborn to see logic or just really naive.

Ironic irony is ironically ironic.

Perhaps it's because he didn't watch a 64 second video clip, and then get orgasmically excited that he was going to live out his fantasies, to the point it clouded his understandable judgement from every other bit of information we had been given, up to that point, of what the game was really fundamentally about. 

Perhaps if you hadn't wound yourself up so much at the prospect of that stuff from every little reference to it, you might have enjoyed this game a little more.

• Fuzzknuckles likes this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:39 PM

Perhaps it's because he didn't watch a 64 second video clip, and then get orgasmically excited that he was going to live out his fantasies, to the point it clouded his understandable judgement from every other bit of information we had been given, up to that point, of what the game was really fundamentally about. 

I've been saying this for months, and it's ignored every time. 

He wanted it to be something it wasn't, that's fine. I accept that. But suggesting that R* gave the impression it would be that, based on some basic environmental establishing shots is just a bit ludicrous. They never said it would be about gang banging. It was clear a while before release that the game was about heists, making big money and being a career criminal, not being a low-down-dirty, bottom feeding, rock-slinging gangsta. 

I would have thought the first few lines we ever heard from Franklin would have indicated this. 

Lamar: I'm gettin' my money in the hood, I'm cool.

Franklin: Cool what, slangin' dope and throwin' up gang signs?

This indicates straight away that he doesn't want to be a part of that anymore. SO WHY WOULD THE GAME BE BASED ON THAT STUFF THAT HE DOESN'T WANT TO DO ANYMORE?

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:49 PM Edited by Official General, 28 February 2014 - 03:54 PM.

The trailer gave the impression that Franklin was from the hood and wanted to get out. It, to my mind, didn't suggest that a large portion of the game would be spent stuck in the hood doing things we've already done. 

It suggested, to me, that Franklin's story would be about what he did when he left the hood. Not trudging back over the reasons why he wanted out. 

Whether or not Franklin wanted out of the gang life is not really the point here. The point being made is that Rockstar gave the clear impression that somehow Franklin was gonna end up being dragged back into some serious gang and hood action, and that it should have been provided.

If you believe in your mind that the trailers did not give you the impression that a significant portion of the game (Franklin's part) was gonna be about gangs and the hood, then fine it's your eyes, your view. But I personally think you are either being purposefully ignorant, too stubborn to see logic or just really naive.

Perhaps it's because he didn't watch a 64 second video clip, and then get orgasmically excited that he was going to live out his fantasies.

@ Lucheese

Ha ha ! Funny coming from you, since you once confessed ON THIS FORUM to once being a white guy from a remote town in Scotland that used to be so into black urban culture, you used to act like you were black, dress like a black gangsta with baggy pants, caps, hoodies etc, and listen to gangsta rap when you were younger. Now it apparently "embarrasses you" and you're "too grown up for it" you are saying all this bullsh*t. 

I can't take you seriously at all  :lol:

• Dяno likes this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:55 PM

Perhaps it's because he didn't watch a 64 second video clip, and then get orgasmically excited that he was going to live out his fantasies.

@ Lucheese

Ha ha ! Funny coming from you, since you once confessed ON THIS FORUM to once being a white guy from a remote town in Scotland that used to be so into black urban culture, you used to act like you were black, dress like a black gangsta with baggy pants, caps, hoodies etc, and listen to gangsta rap when you were younger. Now it apparently "embarrasses you" and you're "too grown up for it" you are saying all this bullsh*t. 

Good thread, taken down by personal attacks outside the 7-11. Tread carefully gentlemen, for you tread on my dreams.

• Gta_V_Fan_101 likes this

Gta_V_Fan_101
  • Gta_V_Fan_101

My posts are brought to you by Chuckola Cola Drinks.

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

Here's the deal:

Frank didn't want to hang out in the hood because the jobs that he did there didn't lend him a single cent. He didn't get money from the hood and so, he wanted to get away from it. 

Soon, he met Michael and Mike taught Frank how to rob banks. Franklin got money from it. After that, Frank distanced himself away from the hood as he didn't need it because he was earning money from robbing banks.

It's that simple.

Frank's trailer WAS misleading, I'll give you that, but even Dan Houser described Frank as the type of person who wanted to move away from the hood.

"Franklin was the idea of this street hustler in the modern world where the glory days – if there ever were glory days of gang banging – had long since passed. When some of the illusions of this life have been shattered, what do you do now having been in that world? That seemed like an interesting character; a guy in his mid-to-late 20s who wants to move forward but doesn't really know how and is being held back by some of his more idiotic and dangerous friends."

"The idea with Franklin was someone stepping outside their comfort zone and their normal way of doing things, because that way, even though they're still in their mid-20s or whatever, that hasn't worked. That world that they thought they'd be in and be able to make a success of has, thanks to the modern world or the changes in the economy or whatever it is, just failed. It doesn't really exist. They're now looking for something new. A new opportunity. They've gotten their qualifications and gotten all their experience and all they're good at is driving and robbing. How do actually go forward and who do you get to a kind of mentor you? That was a good contrast. The gang-banger in the post-gang-banging world."

And this was BEFORE the game got released.

• Fuzzknuckles, John Smith and Vec like this

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:15 PM Edited by Lucchese, 28 February 2014 - 04:27 PM.

@ Lucheese

Why must you always resort to bringing up my youth? It will always render your respect as a debater on here as more and more non-existent.

Also, if you're going to get personal, at least get it right instead of making things up again. I never claimed I used to "act black" - whatever the f*ck that means - during my teens. I used to listen to hip hop and be into that urban fashion when I was younger, yes, but contrary to your baseless claims, I don't feel embarrassed about it, as my brain was still maturing at that age. I also used to sh*t into a nappy when I was a one year old...do I feel embarrassed about that? No sir, it's the guys in their 30's and 40's who rap about doing drive-bys whom I feel embarrassed for. So yes, I grew out of all that crap...problem?

Now if you'd like to get this back on topic by addressing what Fuzzknucles and I put to you, go ahead, otherwise I'm out.

• Gta_V_Fan_101 likes this

Distrom
  • Distrom

Sodom

• Members
  • Venezuela

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

I think the "San Andreas nostalgia" played tricks on your mind.

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:40 PM Edited by Official General, 28 February 2014 - 08:30 PM.

Well I was told my criticisms of a lack of gang and hood action in GTA V was because I had fantasies about being a gangsta from the hood. Lucheese start's sh*t, I hit back and then he complains. I've told him many times if he don't like my posts, then don't don't reply or get my attention, but he clearly cannot help himself. 

Anyway, sorry to all the other guys not involved, I apologize, for the derailment.

Look, I have no fantasies about being a gangsta from the hood, and I'm not an SA fanatic. I just wanted what should have been in the game to make it more fun and interesting on Franklin's part, which should have been gangs and the hood. Because we did not get that, I feel it has greatly reduced Franklin's relevance to the story. 

• AnDReJ98, HaythamKenway, mrrightt and 1 other like this

mrrightt
  • mrrightt

Brown Republican

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:47 PM

Well I was told my criticisms of a lack of gang and hood action in GTA V was because I had fantasies about being a gangsta from the hood. Lucheese start's sh*t, I hit back and then he complains. I've told him many times if he don't like my posts, then don't don't reply or get my attention, but he clearly cannot help himself. 

Anyway, sorry to all the other guys not involved, I apologize, for the derailment.

Look, I have no fantasies about being a gangsta from the hood, and I'm not an SA fanatic. I just wanted what should have been in the game to make it more fun and interesting on Franklin's part, which should have been gangs and the hood. Because we did not get that, I feel it has greatly reduced Franklin's relevance to the story. 

Well said vato. 

People think that because you want to play as somebody different, what somebody elses life is like in a game. Just to see how much better/worse it is that you fantasise about that sh*t.

I liked playing as michael because he was a rich motherf*cker living in a big ass house with some nice ass cars! 

I liked that, doesnt mean i fantasise about being a rich old white dude.

General might have more 'privelages' than Franklin and might want to see how sh*tty life can get in the world. With a life of getting shot at, shooting at people. And carrying a gun when you just go to see your mama?

Now i actually think that the people who hate on that sh*t are the people who really f*cking love that sh*t. They want that sh*t, but cant have it because they live in some suburban city where there isnt even a police force it is that safe. Then they get jealous so hate on the sh*t they want to cover up the face they love that sh*t. 

Just like if a guy/girl pretends they dont like you but they actually do. Sort of like that.

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:11 PM

They made it seem like Franklin wanted to move onto something better, but was still heavily involved in gang activity.  

7pRZb4K.jpg

The game would have been better if they put more gang stuff in it.  Franklin needed a better balance of hood / heist involvement.

• KING2dor and Detective Phelps like this

DIEXEL
  • DIEXEL

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:13 PM

Franklin is a cool dude but it would be more fun and more interesting if the character was a hispanic dude.

resante
  • resante

1-800-876-5353

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:52 AM

Maybe exchange Franklin with Cesar from San Andreas, but thats it. I hated playing Trevor so he's the first to go.

AndrewDeSanta
  • AndrewDeSanta

Republitarian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:54 AM

Yeah he was needed...to silence the little SA fanboy's bitching. 

im_stoned
  • im_stoned

Thug

• Members

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:11 AM

Let me think was a spineless wimp who smiled all the time necessary for a storyline ? absolutely not  if this was the sims franklin would of fit right in but this is gta..........

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:55 AM

I just wanted what should have been in the game

Should. According to you. f*ck's sake.

Just because YOU thought it should be there, doesn't mean it should be there. Rockstar didn't think those things should be there. So, are you MORE RIGHT than them? 

No. Their game, their decisions, MOVE ON. It's not the game you wanted it to be - seriously, 4 months of incessant 'it should have been more gangbangy' have given us the picture. Change the record or I'm using it as a frisbee.

• John Smith, Gta_V_Fan_101 and Cuexcomate like this

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:21 AM Edited by Lucchese, 03 March 2014 - 10:25 AM.

Official General:

Well I was told my criticisms of a lack of gang and hood action in GTA V was because I had fantasies about being a gangsta from the hood.

Well when that gangbanging stuff is all you ever go on about 90% of the time on this forum, it makes it quite difficult not to get the impression that you have some overly-fixated pipe dream for that world.

Lucchese start's sh*t

Start's what exactly? An attempt at a discussion? My responses may come across as aggressive at times, but you're hardly a shining beacon of peace and love yourself General. At least I try to avoid getting personal with my input, which leads me to this:

I hit back and then he complains

The only complaint I have is finding it a tad unnecessary having to resort to ad hominem attacks rather than addressing the topic at hand (even more so when you make up your own little stories about my being).

I've told him many times if he don't like my posts, then don't don't reply or get my attention, but he clearly cannot help himself.

So with that logic, if somebody doesn't like nor agree with something on this forum, they should refrain from replying at all? If that were the case, this place would be deader than an apocalyptic graveyard.

Just because YOU thought it should be there, doesn't mean it should be there. Rockstar didn't think those things should be there. So, are you MORE RIGHT than them? 

No. Their game, their decisions, MOVE ON. It's not the game you wanted it to be - seriously, 4 months of incessant 'it should have been more gangbangy' have given us the picture. Change the record or I'm using it as a frisbee.

Exactly. This is why I can't help but get the impression Official General (and 90% of the other whiners) felt that GTA V was being developed solely to meet and cater to his personal requirements, not the requirements of the consumer in general, nor the requirements of R* themselves. It's their product, and as past commercial and critical success has proven with every main title in the series so far, they can do whatever the f*ck they want with it. No trust has been lost with me. 

Of course I have my minor gripes, and of course people can expect or look forward to a particular aspect or element in a new GTA - I myself would've liked a few things here and there that weren't included - but I'm not going to visit an online forum everyday to beat my chest at not getting every goddam last thing my own way, as well as make these childish allegations of R* "being lazy/not caring about the fans/etc etc". That, is why the term 'entitled' is so often thrown around this place, and rightfully so.

• Gta_V_Fan_101 and Cuexcomate like this

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:08 PM Edited by Official General, 03 March 2014 - 02:09 PM.

In this case I am more right than them, I'd say yeah. 

Do whatever you want with my comments. I don't make the posts, I respond to them. If someone creates a post for me that suits a response like you have stated above, then I will. 

@ Lucchese

Keep following my posts and add to my fame. Remember you have no reason to exist on here without me  :cool:

• Dяno and nobum62 like this

Gta_V_Fan_101
  • Gta_V_Fan_101

My posts are brought to you by Chuckola Cola Drinks.

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:51 PM Edited by Gta_V_Fan_101, 03 March 2014 - 03:52 PM.

@ Lucchese

Keep following my posts and add to my fame. Remember you have no reason to exist on here without me  :cool:

If you really care that much about fame, then here you go, 5 shiny stars right on your profile. Hope that felt good.

Instead of saying "Add to my fame" (As if anyone here cares about that), just tell him that you wanna end this discussion here. No need to look like some sort of "Forum Star" that cares about fame, and such.

OT:

Yes, Frank was necessary because he was the one who made the choice at the end. You know which one.

• John Smith likes this

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:37 PM

@ Lucchese

If you really care that much about fame, then here you go, 5 shiny stars right on your profile. Hope that felt good.

Instead of saying "Add to my fame" (As if anyone here cares about that), just tell him that you wanna end this discussion here. No need to look like some sort of "Forum Star" that cares about fame, and such.

OT:

Yes, Frank was necessary because he was the one who made the choice at the end. You know which one.

I'm not harming you am I ? So relax. 

And I'm sure he is very capable of taking it on chin. No need to get your knickers in a twist. 

• Dяno likes this

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:30 PM

General, you are really terrible at this. But at least you're seen in such high regard by the out-of-control kiddies running amok around this day care centre, so your much cherished internet-gaming-forum fame remains intact (much to your jumping glee I suspect).

• Official General, Gta_V_Fan_101 and Cuexcomate like this

LestersSiesta
  • LestersSiesta

Rat

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:38 AM

He was in for political correctness, the same reason Lester is disabled. It's social engineering and about getting the sheeple (you guys) to be more accepting of what our Zionist lord what us to be accepting of.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:51 AM

He was in for political correctness, the same reason Lester is disabled....

I think it would be more politically correct if Lester was Hispanic and used his computer powers for the greater good, rather than manipulating the stock market, outside of heists.

man dragon
  • man dragon

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:41 AM Edited by man dragon, 04 March 2014 - 04:41 AM.

They made it seem like Franklin wanted to move onto something better, but was still heavily involved in gang activity.  

7pRZb4K.jpg

The game would have been better if they put more gang stuff in it.  Franklin needed a better balance of hood / heist involvement.

That's just marketing. People would be less inclined to buy the game if those had been screenshots of Franklin ironing his shirt or washing his car. I mean, it's not like you can't do drive-bys, it's just not, and was never going to be, a focus.

Hobs
  • Hobs

"Jolly Old Boy"

• Members
  • England

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:51 AM

Ofcourse not, "frank" is undoubtably the worst gta protaganist gta has to offer, why didnt they just bring cj back, doesnt make sense i am shocked at the level of inadiquate and rushed nature of the character he gets my vote for worst gta character ever.

This is hobs's idea folkes please don't be offended.
Cheers, Hobs out.

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:12 AM Edited by PkUnzipper, 04 March 2014 - 06:26 AM.

I think Shawn Fonteno did a great job voice acting him, but I'm question if he was needed for the story at all.  I, like everyone else, was excited to "return to the hood" and re-live some San Andreas memories, as well as see crime from three perspectives, but it didn't work out quite well.

While Michael and Trevor have deep ties with each other, Franklin's relation to the other two is shallowed and feels forced.  Also, he doesn't seem to have a lot of motivation to stick around with two middle-aged guys doing profit-less errand jobs for the FBI that could cost him his life while he already has a wealthy house in the hills.

He also complicates the ending, because it waters down the tension between Trevor and Franklin by making it less personal.  He always felt like the odd one out of the three and just tagged along anyway.

For me, Franklin as a protag was dull, uninspiring and basically a sidekick for Mike and Trevor.  You never really found out what made him tick the way you did with Niko.  Or could appreciate/relate to CJ as he matured from a small time gang banging thug, into a major crime underworld power player--whose turf spanned 3 counties in SA.

I suppose I might have had a slightly different opinion if there had only been ONE protag (i.e. either follow the present day story of Micheal or Trevor based on the prologue we had in N. Yankton).  The game would have technically been 3X as long and since Micheal's character is so shallow, would've made the game more fufilling.   Then throw a curve ball and have Trevor show up and crash land in Micheal's life like he did in SP.  

Being able to play 3 protags at will is a benchmark in GTA.  But doing this resulted in the characters becoming superficial as SP lacked any meaningful depth due to the short storyline.  So it might have been a lot better if R* made the game less painfully restrictive in it's sandbox mode style of play.

aka added lots of interactive interiors like MORE HEIST MISSIONS, ability to create sandbox style heists after beating SP, freight train/trucking missions, stealth/home invasion missions, working restaurants, fast food joints in drive up SR2 style, more interactive NPCs like drug dealers in the hood, working fruit stalls along the freeways, adding all of GTA IV clothing stores (since these store fronts exist in SP already), interactive boats where your char can enter an interior, buying multiple properties and business, boating/driving schools, casinos, dance halls, and yes---dating mini game etc etc.  For a 5th gen game, GTA V still has exactly ZERO nightlife to date.  SA was faaaar more lively and interactive.

If they couldn't do this because of time and/or budget constraints, then they should've at least allowed all 3 protags access to ALL the side activities each protag can currently do.  It doesn't make sense how R* designed this system TBH.

Because it's plain stupid that Micheal (the expert sharp shooter of all 3 protags) can't go hunting??? Or Franklin (who can only own Smoke on the Water and has the hood/drug background) can't do Trevor's air/ground drug missions?  Or can't play tennis?  Or raid that weed farm up in Blaine county? Or why the other 2 protags can't deliver ped hitch hikers to the Cannibal Cult camp? Or wear women's clothing simply because R* decided to restrict this freedom to only one protag etc etc.

And no, that's NOT Franklin's house in the hills.  It belongs to Lester who let him live there. Remember?

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:01 AM

It seems like Franklin was meant to stir up some GTA SA nostalgia.  However, that seemed to flop.  The first mission with Franklin, and perhaps a few missions after that, had a pretty strong GTA TBOGT feeling as you stole and raced very fast cars around the city.  That was great!  Then came some of the "gangsta" missions, and those were also great!  Those missions, especially the one where you fight the Ballas in the Grove Street cul-de-sac, made the game feel a bit like GTA SA (in the good way), and thus the nostalgia was there.  However, those missions were few.  After that, Franklin seemed mostly like filler.  For instance, he was absolutely useless in The Paleto Score.  What was the Dozer for other than giving the mission a bit of variety?  We had to use that slow ass thing to reach the rest of the crew, while smashing police vehicles on the way, just to pick them up and drop them off a few yards down the road?  The crew could have gotten inside of that building well before the Dozer got there, and Franklin would have been better off sticking with the crew (probably getting his own bombsuit too).

• saintsrow likes this

Lil ski
  • Lil ski

Hawai'i 5-O

• Members

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:11 PM

I wish R* would've done more with him. I liked his missions during the 1st quarter of the game. Who knows maybe they'll expand on his story a lot more in the DLC since Mike and Trevor pretty much settled their bitch fest after the main story.

Oh well, I still play as Franklin the most during free roam

Then Michael a close second.....and hardly Trevor...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users