Photo

Was Franklin necessary at all?

86 replies to this topic
godforgivesthelostdont
  • godforgivesthelostdont

Prankster

• Members

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:34 PM

I think Shawn Fonteno did a great job voice acting him, but I'm question if he was needed for the story at all.  I, like everyone else, was excited to "return to the hood" and re-live some San Andreas memories, as well as see crime from three perspectives, but it didn't work out quite well.

While Michael and Trevor have deep ties with each other, Franklin's relation to the other two is shallowed and feels forced.  Also, he doesn't seem to have a lot of motivation to stick around with two middle-aged guys doing profit-less errand jobs for the FBI that could cost him his life while he already has a wealthy house in the hills.

He also complicates the ending, because it waters down the tension between Trevor and Franklin by making it less personal.  He always felt like the odd one out of the three and just tagged along anyway.

• universetwisters, theGTAking101, Bonnano and 1 other like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:56 PM

I wouldn't think so. Is he relevant in the first half or 1/4 of the plot? Sure. But after the hotel assassination, he just sits up in his mansion in the hills, ironing shirts and eating potato chips until Trevor or Michael call on him to help them with one of their missions.

• slyk6, lolleroz, Peregrin Brandytook and 6 others like this

Gtaman_92
  • Gtaman_92

Im Bool, Balm and Bollective.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:17 AM Edited by Gtaman_92, 26 February 2014 - 12:18 AM.

He was to me. Just having Trevor and Micheal to play as would of been dull in my opinion. Franklin is a nice contrast to them as he is young, inexperienced and more calm between the two. Rockstar made the mistake of not giving him enough focus in the game and in the end he ends up like a backdrop character instead of a main character. If he was given more missions revolved around him then He would of stood out more.
  • Xcommunicated and KING2dor like this

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:19 AM

I don't think so. He was definitely the weakest character.

Offtopic: What's the 'Special Member' thing I've been seeing recently?

• theGTAking101, Pastry and Mightymomo22 like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:36 AM

I don't think so. He was definitely the weakest character.

Offtopic: What's the 'Special Member' thing I've been seeing recently?

It's for truly "special" members who won awards for offbeat stuff.

alex3
  • alex3

\m/ o_o \m/

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:39 AM

For me, Franklin's story ended when he moved into that big mansion..

• Xcommunicated, lolleroz, universetwisters and 7 others like this

ryan_J
  • ryan_J

GTA FOR LIFE !

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:48 AM

He was to me. Just having Trevor and Micheal to play as would of been dull in my opinion. Franklin is a nice contrast to them as he is young, inexperienced and more calm between the two. Rockstar made the mistake of not giving him enough focus in the game and in the end he ends up like a backdrop character instead of a main character. If he was given more missions revolved around him then He would of stood out more.

I knew there was a reason he was important to the game I just couldn't put my finger on it, my mind went blank! That's it, contrast, he really does provide a great contrast to the other two characters but like you said rockstar didn't put enough focus on him, I don't think it was to the point where it had much of a detrimental effect on the overall game if any at all. 

• KING2dor likes this

Travís.
  • Travís.

Gangsta

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:53 AM

I don't think he was needed at all. I wanted gang wars, a lot of GOOD gang missions, territories and all the old stuff that made SA so great. But instead we got about 2 okay gang missions then he just gets given a mansion in the hills. Only thing that bítch is good for is his special ability.

THE_TREVALEV
  • THE_TREVALEV

they eat da poo poo

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:37 AM

He's the glue that brought Trevor and Micheal together after Bury the Hatchet, so he's needed. I wish he had more personal sh*t to do after he moved, but eh. His special ability and connections to the drug world and hood were enough to justify his existence to me.
  • Dяno likes this

Voggs
  • Voggs

Just like the white winged dove

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:50 AM

Agreed, it's a shame that we can't even enter to his aunt's house anymore too.

• alex3 and A-Wax8 like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:50 AM

He's the glue that brought Trevor and Micheal together after Bury the Hatchet, so he's needed.

Didn't Trevor do that on his own during the Wrap Up mission?

• Niobium and Pastry like this

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:54 AM Edited by Staten, 26 February 2014 - 01:59 AM.

He's the glue that brought Trevor and Micheal together after Bury the Hatchet, so he's needed.

No because without Franklin, Michael wouldn't be in The Wrap Up, because he would be dead.

Franklin was vital to the story; without him, there would be no story, since his involvement sets events into motion that bring the three of them together, and he makes the choice that brings the story to an end. 

Zodape
  • Zodape

CABINETS

• The Yardies
  • Argentina

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:58 AM

Franklin makes it multicultural.

Lester makes it cyber.

• Xcommunicated, mikkenugent, lolleroz and 12 others like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:00 AM

No because without Franklin, Michael wouldn't be in The Wrap Up, because he would be dead.

Franklin was vital to the story; without him, there would be no story, since his involvement sets events into motion that bring the three of them together, and he makes the choice that brings the story to an end. 

The Bureau raid? Franklin was just the gunman on that one, for what it's worth. Michael would've still been alive if Lamar or even Paula Dean went on the job with him.

• Pastry likes this

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:01 AM Edited by Staten, 26 February 2014 - 02:04 AM.

Lester makes it cyber.

I don't know why, but that line always makes me laugh.  Maybe it's the way he delivered it.

@universetwisters:  You seem to have forgotten Fresh Meat, where Franklin literally saves Michael's life.

• theGTAking101 likes this

gnad.1992
  • gnad.1992

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:01 AM

He's an useless bum, I'd prefer CJ, Claude or Vercetti. Not that lazy asshat.

• Node, universetwisters, theGTAking101 and 1 other like this

Omnia sunt Communia
  • Omnia sunt Communia

Tierra Y Libertad

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:04 AM

I think the story could of survived without Franklin, but I'd prefer it if it were the other way around. Franklin felt like he was a last minute addition. His story feels tacked on and he doesn't get the airtime he deserves. His story is potentially the most interesting: A gangster trying to escape the hood, but it's cut short and suddenly he's living the highlife in Vinewood hills. His story is severed until the very end where it picks up as if nothing has changed, yet I had no clue what was going on.

If I had it my way, Franklin would be a much more important character. His story would be the focus of the story. Not Trevor and Michael.

• KING2dor likes this

Fail_At_GTA
  • Fail_At_GTA

Actually awesome at GTA

• Members

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:04 AM

Franklin has always felt out of place to me and put into the game to satisfy those "boyz in da hood" type of people.  He didn't have any connection to Michael of Trevor.  He was just there and I didn't like it.  He was like the third wheel on a date.  They know they don't fit in but they tag along anyway.

• theGTAking101 and medodido like this

Vec
  • Vec

That tough guy act is ridiculous! >:U

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:07 AM

Franklin is the one that prevented Michael and Trevor from jump at each other's throats several times. 

Without Franklin. They'd have killed each other long before. Let's have as an example the opening cutscene of the Paleto Score. If F didn't stop Michael from calling Trevor a motherf*cker, you know how T reacts to that word...Hell, without him, Michael would have been killed by the chinese because Trevor didn't really gave a sh*t about him at that time.

• Xcommunicated likes this

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:53 AM

I liked Frank. He actually became my favorite character to play as in free roam. But I think that the story would have been better off having Brad as the third protag. And having one of the missions be busting him out of jail. Just rewrote the prologue and have it so brad doesnt die in the beggining and then you would have to come up with another way to create tension between mike and Trevor.

Input
  • Input

Pineapple

• Members

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:02 AM

Outside of his own story arch, he's pretty much not even there.

The story only seemed to focus on Mike and Trevor, you can tell because the game starts off with it.. Pretty much you can go into every trio scene and cut out Franklin and the scene just plays out like he was never there in the first place.

• godforgivesthelostdont likes this

OGLuke
  • OGLuke

frickie van hardenburgs best buddy friend

• Members

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:11 AM

you don't escape the hood.

You can't outrun your past life.

The ballas are waiting for you Franklin.
  • SmoothGetaway and theGTAking101 like this

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:40 AM

Franklin wasn't necessary, but he was there, and he added some variety to the game. Sure he didn't really exist the whole time, but neither did Trevor, Franklin had his part and the beginning, and Trevor kinda took over towards the end. Variety is good. Without Franklin there probably would have been people saying there was no variety, no secret spice added to the game.

SmoothGetaway
  • SmoothGetaway

I got respect for reality

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:08 AM Edited by SmoothGetaway, 26 February 2014 - 06:09 AM.

Franklin makes it multicultural.

Lester makes it cyber.

Lol, this.

Franklin is my favorite character he gets sh*t done and doesn't complain about "my family" or "you betrayed me". He's the glue, without him the game doesn't happen.

Mike and Trev's bitching old couple routine got old quick I wanted to shoot both of them during the Paleto Bay opening scene...I liked them too but that schlick got played out quick.
  • KING2dor likes this

BlackNoise
  • BlackNoise

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:45 AM

I think Shawn Fonteno did a great job voice acting him, but I'm question if he was needed for the story at all.  I, like everyone else, was excited to "return to the hood" and re-live some San Andreas memories, as well as see crime from three perspectives, but it didn't work out quite well.

While Michael and Trevor have deep ties with each other, Franklin's relation to the other two is shallowed and feels forced.  Also, he doesn't seem to have a lot of motivation to stick around with two middle-aged guys doing profit-less errand jobs for the FBI that could cost him his life while he already has a wealthy house in the hills.

He also complicates the ending, because it waters down the tension between Trevor and Franklin by making it less personal.  He always felt like the odd one out of the three and just tagged along anyway.

You're describing the problems with R*'s script. As a protagonist he was necessary, because GTA V is still a game and the story is only part of it. According to R*, he fits the role of the traditional GTA protagonist. He's the best all around character when it comes to gameplay. You can argue about who you like the most, but that's besides the point. Franklin races fast cars, doesn't mind getting his hands dirty, and he's also an errand boy. That's exactly what a traditional GTA protagonist is. He's even the only one who truly ends with a visibly better life. Michael only does certain things and the same can be said for Trevor. 

So I agree about Franklin when it comes to the story, but in free-roam I use Franklin the most.

• KING2dor and A-Wax8 like this

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:14 AM

Franklin's story started off very well, but then it kind of went off track.  This is actually pretty typical of many GTA games.  They generally start off very well, but the games often times get a bit less interesting (or at least change a bit too much) the further you progress through the game.  I think this is why GTA VC is still regarded very well.  It has a short story that doesn't drift off track (not much anyways), but the mandatory ownership of assets helps lengthen the story while keeping it fresh.  That was actually a pretty genius move by R*.

• KING2dor likes this

FANTOMTRON
  • FANTOMTRON

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:21 AM

I was thinking the same thing. I like to earn the mansion not have it spoon fed to me. In san andreas and vice city we had to go through big big big shoot outs in the mansions before getting them.

• The Quench, alex3 and Niobium like this

mariana_dm1989
  • mariana_dm1989

Mari

• Members

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:23 AM

If i think about it, all 3 protags can be thought of as unnecessary when comparing each one with the other two.

KING2dor
  • KING2dor

Lingo Extraordinary

• Members

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:56 AM

Franklin was definitely the coolest and my personal favorite

He just didn't get the airplay he deserved from R*
  • Dяno likes this

alex3
  • alex3

\m/ o_o \m/

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:42 AM

Agreed, it's a shame that we can't even enter to his aunt's house anymore too.

I know, in IV atleast we got to keep our old safe houses.

• Official General and theGTAking101 like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users