Quantcast

» «
Photo

Understanding how we treat each other online.

45 replies to this topic

Poll: Your general personality. (160 member(s) have cast votes)

Did you have any siblings before age 10?

1. I was the oldest. (67 votes [41.88%])

Percentage of vote: 41.88%

2. I was the middle. (18 votes [11.25%])

Percentage of vote: 11.25%

3. I was the youngest. (49 votes [30.63%])

Percentage of vote: 30.63%

4. I was the only child. (26 votes [16.25%])

Percentage of vote: 16.25%

How do you feel about competition?

1. I seek to win a fair fight. (86 votes [48.04%])

Percentage of vote: 48.04%

2. I win by any means necessary. (27 votes [15.08%])

Percentage of vote: 15.08%

3. I don't really care much about competition. (56 votes [31.28%])

Percentage of vote: 31.28%

4. I dislike competition. (10 votes [5.59%])

Percentage of vote: 5.59%

Do you consider yourself more selfless or selfish?

1. I try to make others happy. (39 votes [21.79%])

Percentage of vote: 21.79%

2. I treat others based on how they treat me. (115 votes [64.25%])

Percentage of vote: 64.25%

3. My happiness is more important. (20 votes [11.17%])

Percentage of vote: 11.17%

4. I try to make others unhappy. (5 votes [2.79%])

Percentage of vote: 2.79%

Vote Guests cannot vote
TheHammer
  • TheHammer

Oligarch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:34 PM Edited by jcph3, 25 February 2014 - 07:11 PM.

There have been a lot of topics with responses describing personal morals and opinions on how we view this game online. Opinions about trolling, cheating, taste, and other online preferences always seem to leave the question of why people act the way they do. So tell us who you are and how you feel about other players in the online community. How has your childhood affected the choices you make? Do you believe there is any correlation between the poll questions, and other traumatic experiences you may have had in life, that could have led you, or others, to behave online a certain kind of way? Are certain types of people more or less likely to participate honestly in this thread?

OP there is nothing, no amount of traumatic experiences that can justify what you did to those cars! It's just not right!  :evilgrin:

creamofpayne
  • creamofpayne

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:41 PM

I don't go out of my way to kill people cold blooded in FR, but if you're just standing in the middle of the street, I will run you over.

SFBryan18
  • SFBryan18

NorCalMobLife

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:07 AM

I didn't include age in the discussion topic because I felt it was already established that maturity and age play a big influence on our choices. The topic was intended to ask about other factors that might influence the choices we make online. It is said that the first 10 years of a persons life are the most influencing on who they become, so it's an interesting question of if certain types of people are more likely to seek satisfaction though selfish ways when they are anonymous.

KayTheMagnificent
  • KayTheMagnificent

Hello Kitty Cowgirl

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:16 AM

When it comes to GTA: Online.....

Leave me alone.

I use to be on some honky doory sh*t but Randy Randomson has left me a paranoid and overly cautious player. I don't trust any white dots unless you're a friend of a friend.

The way I play the game has nothing to with my real life. It has everything to do with how others play the game and how I have been treated by Randy Randomson.

Basically, this. when I first started playing online I wanted to meet people and play with them, so I'd rock up to randoms and basically be like 'hi!' and get killed. or I'd get hunted. or people would follow me then wait for me outside my garage. or a tank would blow me up.

I just stopped caring. I now go to closed friend sessions with my crew and do missions. public free roam is mostly full of trolling gun happy nutcases and I don't see the point in being involved with them. if I ever get forced into a public game from R* servers f*cking up for whatever reason, I immediately leave. end of. 

• WillWorthington3 likes this

CarimboHanky
  • CarimboHanky

Rehabilitated Glitcher

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:51 AM

1-i was the youngest.
2-by any means.
3-make others unhappy.

is not like you would expect something different from me...

iiGh0STt
  • iiGh0STt

Gangsta

• BUSTED!
  • Ukraine

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:06 AM Edited by iiGh0STt, 26 February 2014 - 09:07 AM.

I am the 2nd of 3, 1 annoying sister. I treat everyone with respect, sometimes in the form of a spanking. And I could care less for competition, and more for Co-Op. Sports Co-Op is 10x more fun than Sports Vs.

If co-op was your only option in online play, you would have a totally different approach to other people playing the same game.

¥en
  • ¥en

Get Cage'd

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:11 AM

1. Oldest.

2. Seek to win a fair fight.

3. I try to make others happy* & treat others how they treat me.

*I typically read that more as not going out of my way to ruin another person's fun for hell of it.

Cincy32
  • Cincy32

RIP FRED PHELPS

• Members
  • Afghanistan

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:15 AM

Only child, usually don't care for competition, and I treat others how they treat me.

With that said, on average, I'm probably a huge ass/troll online. Why? because it's a game. In real life I'm one of the nicest and most selfless people you'll ever meet, but online I get discouraged by how serious people take a video game and then I feel obligated to make them suffer virtually.

When I was 8 and 9 I was molested. I was nearly murdered in my own house along with my parents during a home invasion when I was 10. My absolute best friend died unexpectedly at the age of 21. I could go on with a plethora of f*cked up things that have happened to me in my life but its not what happens to you in life, rather it's how you respond to it; and I respond to life with humor. Anyone who takes a video game serious enough to be trolled has some very serious deep-rooted psychological issues and needs to find the humor in life, even when life reaches its sh*ttiest points.

Remote Six
  • Remote Six

I am Quantum

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:31 AM

If answer these questions in the wrong way will I be comitted to a psychiatric hospital or tracked by the FBI as a potential serial killer?

You'll be tracked by the FIB...wtf is an FBI?

You don't know what the FBI is? Are you serious?

I think I'm gonna keep you in suspense.

I wouldn't really be surprised if you didn't know. Kids today aren't exactly known for their vast intelligence.

That probably explains why you thought I was serious...
Hummm.... your post insinuates that I'm a kid. Let's explore this for a moment:

1. If I was a kid would I have said something derogatory about kids? How many times have you heard a kid call kids in general stupid?

2. Look at the way I type. In full sentences with properly spelled words and coherent thoughts. Kids today don't do these things.

3. Look at my username. It has two actual words that are properly spelled. Again, today's children don't typically do this.

4. Look at my avatar pic. It has nothing to do with drugs, sex, violence, hip hop, stoners or any form of popular culture. AGAIN, not something children do.

If you also look at my previous post you will see that I mention having a family and a career. I won't fault you for not knowing these things because I wouldn't expect you to do any research.

I think I have made my point but I know that teens and young adults get pissed when their ego is dented by a mature adult who calls them out. Therefor I will grab some popcorn, lean back and watch the child logic come flowing in.

¥en
  • ¥en

Get Cage'd

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:35 AM Edited by Insert-Coin-To-Continue, 26 February 2014 - 09:37 AM.

If answer these questions in the wrong way will I be comitted to a psychiatric hospital or tracked by the FBI as a potential serial killer?

I wouldn't really be surprised if you didn't know. Kids today aren't exactly known for their vast intelligence.

1. If I was a kid would I have said something derogatory about kids? How many times have you heard a kid call kids in general stupid?

Minor nitpick: The short answer is yes. Infact, I hear it quite frequently from the demographic.

Anyway, I think the point is, you insulted the person by insinuating that they were a kid and lacking in intelligence, when the truth is they made a joke and it went right over your head. Now you two can kiss and make up*.

*and photograph it.. ;)

Remote Six
  • Remote Six

I am Quantum

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:39 AM

Minor nitpick: The short answer is yes. Infact, I hear it quite frequently from the demographic.

Anyway, I think the point is, you insulted the person by insinuating that they were a kid and lacking in intelligence, when the truth is they made a joke and it went right over your head. Now you two can kiss and make up*.

*and photograph it.. ;)
Fine, but only because that kitten GIF was so damn cute.
  • ¥en likes this

Happy_Killstick
  • Happy_Killstick

Clumsy_Foxstick

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:23 AM

Did you have any siblings before age 10? 

I don't understand this  :nervous:

SFBryan18
  • SFBryan18

NorCalMobLife

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:28 AM Edited by SFBryan18, 26 February 2014 - 11:30 AM.

Brothers or sisters before you became a teenager.

The possibility that having older or younger siblings influenced how competitive you are.

Happy_Killstick
  • Happy_Killstick

Clumsy_Foxstick

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:35 AM Edited by Happy_Killstick, 26 February 2014 - 11:40 AM.

Brothers or sisters before you became a teenager.

The possibility that having older or younger siblings influenced how competitive you are.

Oh, i have an older brother and thats it.  :bored:

So i should put on, ''I was the youngest'' ?

SFBryan18
  • SFBryan18

NorCalMobLife

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:41 AM

Yea, you were the youngest.

Happy_Killstick
  • Happy_Killstick

Clumsy_Foxstick

• Members
  • None