Quantcast

» «
Photo

Understanding how we treat each other online.

45 replies to this topic

Poll: Your general personality. (160 member(s) have cast votes)

Did you have any siblings before age 10?

1. I was the oldest. (67 votes [41.88%])

Percentage of vote: 41.88%

2. I was the middle. (18 votes [11.25%])

Percentage of vote: 11.25%

3. I was the youngest. (49 votes [30.63%])

Percentage of vote: 30.63%

4. I was the only child. (26 votes [16.25%])

Percentage of vote: 16.25%

How do you feel about competition?

1. I seek to win a fair fight. (86 votes [48.04%])

Percentage of vote: 48.04%

2. I win by any means necessary. (27 votes [15.08%])

Percentage of vote: 15.08%

3. I don't really care much about competition. (56 votes [31.28%])

Percentage of vote: 31.28%

4. I dislike competition. (10 votes [5.59%])

Percentage of vote: 5.59%

Do you consider yourself more selfless or selfish?

1. I try to make others happy. (39 votes [21.79%])

Percentage of vote: 21.79%

2. I treat others based on how they treat me. (115 votes [64.25%])

Percentage of vote: 64.25%

3. My happiness is more important. (20 votes [11.17%])

Percentage of vote: 11.17%

4. I try to make others unhappy. (5 votes [2.79%])

Percentage of vote: 2.79%

Vote Guests cannot vote
SFBryan18
  • SFBryan18

NorCalMobLife

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:29 PM Edited by SFBryan18, 25 February 2014 - 01:59 PM.

There have been a lot of topics with responses describing personal morals and opinions on how we view this game online. Opinions about trolling, cheating, taste, and other online preferences always seem to leave the question of why people act the way they do. So tell us who you are and how you feel about other players in the online community. How has your childhood affected the choices you make? Do you believe there is any correlation between the poll questions, and other traumatic experiences you may have had in life, that could have led you, or others, to behave online a certain kind of way? Are certain types of people more or less likely to participate honestly in this thread?

• WillWorthington3, ShinobiFixer and iiGh0STt like this

Odesza
  • Odesza

The Worst

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:30 PM

I don't even know how to feel or think anymore, Rockstar has taken everything from me and the only thing flowing through my veins is liquidized cash cards.

Valdorien
  • Valdorien

We weren't ready!

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

So everyone treat others the way they get treated,want to win fairly or doesn't care about competition?

I don't know why but I don't belive it.

I like to help peoples and stuff but I am kind of a nerd rager so I take it kinda personnal if I get randomly killed. I am currently taking a break from GTA Online to get more relaxed.

Masochron
  • Masochron

What Lies Below

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:37 PM

I'm an only child. I'm generally a nice guy unless I'm f*cked with. Key word, generally...Sometimes I like to be an asshole.

• Spade115 likes this

Jolly Swagman
  • Jolly Swagman

Has a jumbuck in his tucker bag

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:38 PM

If answer these questions in the wrong way will I be comitted to a psychiatric hospital or tracked by the FBI as a potential serial killer?
  • ShinobiFixer and PANiC ATTACK3R like this

Masochron
  • Masochron

What Lies Below

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:39 PM

If answer these questions in the wrong way will I be comitted to a psychiatric hospital or tracked by the FBI as a potential serial killer?

You'll be tracked by the FIB...wtf is an FBI?

gnad.1992
  • gnad.1992

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:40 PM

I'm the oldest.

I win by any means necessarily

I try to make others unhappy

I'm a dickhead
  • GTA-Freak-Vi likes this

GTA-Freak-Vi
  • GTA-Freak-Vi

~

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:48 PM

I'm the youngest one and in terms of morality, I'd say 50/50. Sometimes I can be nice to players or sometimes I'll be a jerk/dickhead.

Can't be a good guy all the time y'know, don't wanna finish last

Masochron
  • Masochron

What Lies Below

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:49 PM

I'm the youngest one and in terms of morality, I'd say 50/50. Sometimes I can be nice to players or sometimes I'll be a jerk/dickhead.

Can't be a good guy all the time y'know, don't wanna finish last

Nope. There's no fun in it anyway lol.

• GTA-Freak-Vi likes this

ShinobiFixer
  • ShinobiFixer

way of the snake

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:50 PM

When I was going around doing my killing, I had a goal to get to 1000 kills so I was driven to grief to unlock a tattoo.

Now that it's unlocked, I still find myself killing.  It has become an addiction, I try to chill out but when my friend goes on all he wants to do is Free Roam death match because he's a call of duty addict.  

idk, I guess it's just hard to trust a random.  

Khaos89
  • Khaos89

Has a small willy

• BUSTED!
  • Antarctica

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:53 PM

I was the oldest. 

I win by any means necessary. 

I treat others based on how they treat me. 

SFBryan18
  • SFBryan18

NorCalMobLife

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:54 PM Edited by SFBryan18, 25 February 2014 - 02:18 PM.

That information is classified...

Remote Six
  • Remote Six

I am Quantum

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:03 PM

You don't know what the FBI is? Are you serious?

Masochron
  • Masochron

What Lies Below

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:05 PM

I think I'm gonna keep you in suspense.

• WillWorthington3 and rob602pa like this

da_illest101
  • da_illest101

GTA World Heavy Weight Champion

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:07 PM

I'm the youngest, don't care about competition and I only care about my fun in the game. I play mostly invite only nowadays cause shootouts were more fun when everyone had money. You kill a lot, you die a lot. Maybe I should go in bad sports?

Remote Six
  • Remote Six

I am Quantum

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:09 PM

I wouldn't really be surprised if you didn't know. Kids today aren't exactly known for their vast intelligence.

Masochron
  • Masochron

What Lies Below

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:12 PM

I wouldn't really be surprised if you didn't know. Kids today aren't exactly known for their vast intelligence.

That probably explains why you thought I was serious...

• WillWorthington3, blakeney and Outlaw430 like this

Ninjambie
  • Ninjambie

I got riders... you know who you are.

• Members
  • Puerto-Rico

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:17 PM

When it comes to GTA: Online.....

Leave me alone.

I use to be on some honky doory sh*t but Randy Randomson has left me a paranoid and overly cautious player. I don't trust any white dots unless you're a friend of a friend.

The way I play the game has nothing to with my real life. It has everything to do with how others play the game and how I have been treated by Randy Randomson.

• ShinobiFixer, The Spook, 8up local and 1 other like this

SFBryan18
  • SFBryan18

NorCalMobLife

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:25 PM

For anyone curious, this thread is the product of a really strong cup of coffee. ;)
  • Spade115 likes this

Masochron
  • Masochron

What Lies Below

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:26 PM

For anyone curious, this thread is the product of a really strong cup of coffee. ;)

I'm working on a whole pot myself :)

• SFBryan18 likes this

KimberJane
  • KimberJane

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:43 PM

I don't go hunting people in Free Roam, but if I feel I'm being stalked where their intention to do me some harm then I will defend myself. That means even if someone is not intending to do so but are within my comfort zone then I will attack them if possible. 

I never used to be that way, I used to hope that it was a 'friendly' that approached me and I would hang around to find out but I got sick of being an easy target. I wish it wasn't that way but it seems it's the only way.

• ShinobiFixer and Spade115 like this

TexasToast712
  • TexasToast712

Native Texan

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:49 PM Edited by TexasToast712, 25 February 2014 - 04:52 PM.

Im the middle child of a very loud, obnoxious, family. I dont really give a f*ck about competition in a video game because at the end of the day it is JUST a game. Im also a super sarcastic smart ass who generally just goes with the flow unless someone pisses me off. I also like piss off random people most days and I generally help new guys out.

As for GTAO and online gaming in general, I feel it is a digital cesspool of retards, and assholes so I might as well give in and have some fun with it.

• Spade115 likes this

Spade115
  • Spade115

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:52 PM

1. I was the Youngest

2. I like to win a fair fight

3. I treat others how they treat me

I usually speed around the map just to get the feel of whatever car I decide to run that day and dont mind passing by people if they shoot at me I will stop and shoot it out with them. When they complain about me killing them I kill them again. I have no problem with people running up and wanting to cruise hell you get RP for cruising with people but I also dont like to stay in one place so that helps me.

Masochron
  • Masochron

What Lies Below

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

I don't go hunting people in Free Roam, but if I feel I'm being stalked where their intention to do me some harm then I will defend myself. That means even if someone is not intending to do so but are within my comfort zone then I will attack them if possible. 

I never used to be that way, I used to hope that it was a 'friendly' that approached me and I would hang around to find out but I got sick of being an easy target. I wish it wasn't that way but it seems it's the only way.

You should try it sometime. It's fun.

JayDM420
  • JayDM420

0.14 KD

• Members

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:07 PM Edited by JayDM420, 25 February 2014 - 05:07 PM.

I'm the oldest.

I win by any means necessarily

I try to make others unhappy

I'm a dickhead

This made me lol, my older brother acts like that :lol:

I'm the youngest,

I like to win fairly

I treat others the way they treat me.

• gnad.1992 likes this

fw3
  • fw3

I SMELL FISH!

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:29 PM Edited by fw3, 25 February 2014 - 05:36 PM.

I enjoyed the thoughtful post, so thank you for that. 

Here's my replies to your questions:

1. How has your childhood affected the choices you make?

Being the youngest of three, I got a lot more attention than my siblings, who resented it. So, my adult decisions are both reactive and reasoned, or emotional as well as thoughtful.
(I chose "make others happy," which is very true).

2. Do you believe there is any correlation between the poll questions, and other traumatic experiences you may have had in life, that could have led you, or others, to behave online a certain kind of way?

Sure, there's many ways to tie the poll questions together. Combine those with life experience and you've got a basis for a personality profile. The questions, for me, correlate to the hierarchy of sibling structures, specifically in the 3 child scenario, like I grew up with. In a standard perspective, the first child is typically competitive and the facilitator,  mimicking the parents; the third child (the baby) is typically the creative & expressive, perceived often as carefree, a cry-baby, or lazy. In part, because they have preset role models in the older siblings, AND parents. The second child, caught between the others, reflects the facilitator yet mimics the creative/expressive, often, acting as a mediator, keeping the peace, which is how they are able to compete and get attention for themselves.

I've read a bit about this sibling structure, which was helpful in understanding my own siblings. Here's an interesting link if you're into it:
http://www.mysister-...dia_050608.html

3. Are certain types of people more or less likely to participate honestly in this thread?

I dunno - I can only speak for myself. I see no reason to be less honest, but it's a GTA forum, so everyone is a total badass. I'd take it with a grain of salt. ;)

Anyhow, thanks for the though provoking post! I'll be thinking back on it for quite a while. I may even give a shout to my siblings! ;)

• WillWorthington3 and Spade115 like this

The Spook
  • The Spook

Driver - Assassin

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:47 PM

I tried to be a good girl until the first time I got spawn killed in a tank, and some 12 year old pre-pubescent teenager was laughing on the mic. Tried to make friends in Freemode; pull up, honk my horn, get out and salute, but just got automatic gunfire in return. I'm not saying everyone is like this, but the majority is. Most of these people saying they "only kill when they get killed first" are lying. Some of these individuals are the main ones who will just open fire at you for no reason other than to up their K/D ratio and feel better about themselves off of your misery, or because they likely get bullied/trolled IRL by older siblings and assholes at school.

"Only killing when I get killed first" USED to be the case for me, and i'm not ashamed to say I now sit on the tops of buildings sniping Tank drivers and dots that don't have blue or red around them whenever I enter a Freemode that's not invite only. The friends I have, I made in Survivals, crews I joined, and this forum. Trying to make a friend in Freemode is like trying to find a goldfish in a pond full of piranhas.

• WillWorthington3 and ShinobiFixer like this

am30
  • am30

surprisingly nice

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:53 PM

My upbringing is of no consquence in how I play this game.

I try being nice, I get shot.  So I've decided to be an ass just like 99.9% of the other people that play this game.

It's helps that I was born well before the misplaced sense of entitlement that seems to plauge the youth of today.  Age ranges should have been included in the poll as I think that is more telling of why someone is more likely to treat other players poorly than how many siblings and you have or if you're older or younger than them.

rob602pa
  • rob602pa

Maybe I'm just sleepwalking...

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:20 PM

My upbringing is of no consquence in how I play this game.

I try being nice, I get shot.  So I've decided to be an ass just like 99.9% of the other people that play this game.

It's helps that I was born well before the misplaced sense of entitlement that seems to plauge the youth of today.  Age ranges should have been included in the poll as I think that is more telling of why someone is more likely to treat other players poorly than how many siblings and you have or if you're older or younger than them.

I agree with the age thing, its pretty much a given that the older, typically the more wiser and understanding you become. Anger and hate become a burden.

Masochron
  • Masochron

What Lies Below

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:23 PM

Whenever I see someone in a shop, I always roll up and lob a canister of tear gas into the building so it closes and they have to go elsewhere.

Does that make me a dick?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users