South Park The Stick Of Truth

173 replies to this topic
Cylan
  • Cylan

High-Functioning Sociopath

• Members

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:29 AM

http://www.gamespot....w/1900-6415684/

Gamespot gave the game a 7 on its 7 to 10 scale after the guy wrote up a review that sounded more like a 8.

• Dяno likes this

GTA DUDE05
  • GTA DUDE05

Prankster

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:34 AM

South_Park_The_Stick_of_Truth.jpg

• Dяno likes this

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:52 AM

Personally, I'd go on the opinion of many accumulated reviewers.  A single reviewer by themselves, especially an IGN reviewer *shudders*, isn't the best to go by.  That being said, South Park: The Stick of Truth does look like an 8/10 game, but I won't be certain just yet.

• Dяno likes this

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:59 PM Edited by Fireman, 04 March 2014 - 09:59 PM.

A 9.0 is pretty crazy.

I can imagine it's a lot of fun if you've watched all or most South Park episodes, but apart from that it's really pretty much mweh.

Too much walking around doing nothing, but because it's south park the characters are fun atleast.

The turn-based system however works very well though.

kipakolonyasi
  • kipakolonyasi

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:45 PM

just read a couple of reviews of this game for both ps3 and xbox 360 versions. according to reviewers both versions have frame rate issues. man i am sick and tired of these frame rate issues. god damn it.

hornedturtle
  • hornedturtle

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:19 AM

just read a couple of reviews of this game for both ps3 and xbox 360 versions. according to reviewers both versions have frame rate issues. man i am sick and tired of these frame rate issues. god damn it.

pc version is capped at 30fps.

Dяno
  • Dяno

Pika

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:50 AM Edited by LilMcJohn, 05 March 2014 - 01:53 AM.

Just got it early on the marketplace today and the game kicks ass! The combat is fun as they make you focused by blocking the enemys attacks and a button sequence when your attacking. I haven't see any glitches or bugs so this game is perfect so far. I'm currently a level 3 thief.  :colgate:

Rock Howard
  • Rock Howard

Some Aussie Dude.

• Members

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:01 AM

As a massive South Park fan, hell yeah I'll be grabbing this one.

• Dяno likes this

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Public Enemy #1

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:28 AM

Got it today. It's fantastic so far. It's funny, but it doesn't shove the comedy down your throat, which is nice.

Combat is fantastic and is really based on skill.

There's also a lot of exploration and customization.

hornedturtle
  • hornedturtle

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:13 AM

Got it today. It's fantastic so far. It's funny, but it doesn't shove the comedy down your throat, which is nice.

glad to see I was wrong about it being easy :)
  • TheMasterfocker likes this

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Public Enemy #1

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:17 AM

glad to see I was wrong about it being easy :)

There's also a difficulty slider.

Johan
  • Johan

'Till the day we meet again

• Members
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:24 AM

Played about 30 minutes so far and I'm already loving it, and yeah the combat is kinda hard to get used to.. blocking as well.

Hopefully will be putting plenty of time on it tomorrow

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:33 AM

Not really a framerate issue, more of a random skippage and the voices don't match up with the mouth movement but only lasts until the next person talks

Rewas
  • Rewas

• Members
  • None
  • Best Snapmatic [Scenery] 2013

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:15 AM

I'm not really into South Park. but I watched some walkthroughs of it and damn this game is so good. Such a unique RPG game with humorous storyline, I wish I had enough money to buy it, but owell..

Nordniedersachse
  • Nordniedersachse

Herr Lauch

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:14 PM

I won't buy it, maybe I will borrow it some day.

Saw a let's play episode yesterday and that you can choose the class "Jew". I lol'd.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:30 PM

I was so looking forward to having a play on this this afternoon but i gotta wait until Saturday in the UK so I've just had to settle for a pre-order instead :(

As for frame rate issues i watched total biscuits video onit and he mentions they had to lock it down to 30fps on PC stating possibly the animation style doesn't work correctly at any other FPS! so it could be that!

Matty256
  • Matty256

Adrenaline Ace

• The Connection
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:08 PM

I'm not a big fan of RPG's but i love South Park and this game looks alot of fun from the videos and streams of it, there are some bugs within the game not too game breaking though so hopefully a patch/fix comes out before it's released in UK.

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Public Enemy #1

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:26 PM

I'm not a big fan of RPG's but i love South Park and this game looks alot of fun from the videos and streams of it, there are some bugs within the game not too game breaking though so hopefully a patch/fix comes out before it's released in UK.

I have not encountered a single bug on PC yet.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:53 PM

The sound can lag a bit, but overall I haven't had any bugs neither, then again the game is rather simple.

The lack of abilities puts me off most though. Five abilities with a few, hardly noticeable upgrades,

Dяno
  • Dяno

Pika

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:14 PM Edited by LilMcJohn, 05 March 2014 - 09:15 PM.

Yeah I'm sure they'll add new abilities in the future (maybe even new classes). IGN has stated that obsidian is currently working on like three dlcs for this game that are like quests with their own story line too. 

poklane
  • poklane

So now what?

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:19 PM

Yeah I'm sure they'll add new abilities in the future (maybe even new classes). IGN has stated that obsidian is currently working on like three dlcs for this game that are like quests with their own story line too. 

Are they working on DLC?! I asked Ubisoft about this a few weeks ago, since I thought possible DLC could have been canceled due to game transferring from THQ to Ubisoft, and they didn't know anything about DLC...

Dяno
  • Dяno

Pika

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:52 PM Edited by LilMcJohn, 05 March 2014 - 09:52 PM.

Are they working on DLC?! I asked Ubisoft about this a few weeks ago, since I thought possible DLC could have been canceled due to game transferring from THQ to Ubisoft, and they didn't know anything about DLC...

http://www.ign.com/w...objectid=123754

You know how IGN is. Don't know if its true or not, but we'll have to wait and see. :]

poklane
  • poklane

So now what?

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:14 PM

http://www.ign.com/w...objectid=123754

You know how IGN is. Don't know if its true or not, but we'll have to wait and see. :]

If someone can answer me: did the 360 version have exclusive pre-order bonuses or bonus?

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:45 PM

I know there was a pre-order bonus called (something along the lines of) "Fun Times With Weapons".  I'm not sure if it was platform exclusive or retailer exclusive.  I think I recall it being a GameStop exclusive bonus.

Agathodaemon
  • Agathodaemon

Not a good enough gangbanger

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:57 PM

I live in Europe, so I will get that game tomorrow (6.03). I pre ordered PC version (no censorship for me :D).
I have a question for you, guys: should I play it on keyboard and mouse or xbox 360 controller?

Stig
  • Stig

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:52 PM Edited by RadioIsotope, 05 March 2014 - 11:55 PM.

There's literally an option in the main menu titled "Downloadable Content". I think it's a safe bet there will be DLC in the future, haha.

Bought SoT yesterday and completed it in a day. The game is masterly written by Trey and Matt (as you would come to expect) and will have you laughing at almost anything. As a mega fan of South Park you really get to appreciate the detail they put into this game regarding parodies, cameos, and generally just living in South Park, CO. Just picking up items will have you laughing your ass off if you're a long time fan of the show. The combat is fun and it keeps you in the game with counters/special/power/fart attacks. I found it to be incredibly fun to be honest, and the powers each class receives are pretty well split and can be upgraded many times to provide better attacks.

But.., all that said, if I were someone who never really watched South Park, I would probably not like this game. You really have to be a South Park fan to appreciate this game to %100.

I would easily say that the 9/10 is justifiable.

I live in Europe, so I will get that game tomorrow (6.03). I pre ordered PC version (no censorship for me :D).
I have a question for you, guys: should I play it on keyboard and mouse or xbox 360 controller?

Keyboard and mouse, the Xbox 360 controller slows the combat down and generally makes things more difficult to play.

That being said, I would highly, highly recommend purchasing this game for the PC via Steam if you have the opportunity. It doesn't take a super rig to play, and everything (and I mean everything) is 10x faster and smoother on the PC. Compared to the Xbox360 where you're loading quite a bit between sections of town. Such as walking past Photo-Dojo to the Movie Theatre. Loading time on the 360 (Roughly): 25-40 seconds. Loading time on the PC: Nil. Loading time on the 360 when entering combat: 20-30s. Loading time on the PC when entering combat: 1-3s.

I know what you're thinking, "well, it's only a minute" or "It's only 30 seconds" but when you're playing a game based on cardboard cutouts, it can really, really trash the fluidity and the fun of the game, and especially combat.
  • TheMasterfocker likes this

Johan
  • Johan

'Till the day we meet again

• Members
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:29 AM

Just beat the game after a long session of it since I woke up.. pretty ENTERTAINING without a doubt. Not worth the 60$ price tag, maybe 50.. but an excellent game and I'm seriously interested in the series now more than ever.

These guys have outdone themselves, the delays were worth it.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:07 AM

I really have been trying to save some money as well as not have a huge back log of sh*t to play.  So naturally I just hit the buy button on steam.

I remember the Jesus vs Santa short that started it all and I've enjoyed the series ever since...well, except those few seasons where they may have gotten to social commentary preachy like.

I'm excited.

Cylan
  • Cylan

High-Functioning Sociopath

• Members

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:06 AM

There's definitely going to be dlc. Matt and Trey were at comic con talking last year and they went into detail about how long their first draft of the script was. They said that Obsidian's devs told them that they could cut stuff out and put it back in as dlc later. They sounded really enthusiastic about the idea given that they could just get the game out and do their other ideas once the main game was out on the market.

Kind of curious about what subplots got cut due to time constraints. I played up to the point where you have to go inside the elementary school yesterday but I did a crapton of side quests and exploration of the town. I'm playing as a warrior and I have to say, it's fun. Kicking people in the balls as a special ability is certainly unique.

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:09 AM

I'll probably pick up the game later on.  As if it's worth the price tag. . .  Well, I'd try to look for some deals.  For instance, my local Best Buy ad shows that you can buy either the 15th or 16th season of South Park for $9.99 when you purchase the video game (not sure if it's one box set per video game purchase or if it can be multiple).  Considering that those box sets are generally quite expensive, that's a pretty good deal.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users